Mahrez | Signed with City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
He really should move. He's 27 (in one month), in his prime, and is simply wasting his time at Leicester. i don't think he's good enough to shift any wingers at the top 4 clubs (maybe Arsenal) but he should definitely be playing Champions League football somewhere.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
He really should move. He's 27 (in one month), in his prime, and is simply wasting his time at Leicester. i don't think he's good enough to shift any wingers at the top 4 clubs (maybe Arsenal) but he should definitely be playing Champions League football somewhere.
He’s miles better than Mata (but probably not Sanchez), and would instantly elevate Arsenal too. Spurs, hard to call, while City and Liverpool he wouldn’t get into the first eleven.

No idea why he’s still at Leicester, though. Hope he gets a chance at a higher level, but how likely is it that any team abroad apart from Barca and Real can afford to pick up players in contract from an English top flight team?

RooneyLegend

The only side he wouldn't get into imo is Liverpool. Everyone else the spot is there to take, he's sadly waiting for someone willing to take that chance on him. He's a huge creative influence on a team plus a goal threat. He also works harder than people give him credit for.

eat_grass

Leicester wanted 45m for him in the summer. Can't see them dropping the price now that they're top-half of the table and he's producing again. As always, the price dictates who goes and who stays. I'm sure United would jump at 35m (in the summer. Mourinho's said he doesn't want to upset the team chemistry, so a winter move for him is not happening.).

promisedlanchiao

He’s miles better than Mata (but probably not Sanchez), and would instantly elevate Arsenal too. Spurs, hard to call, while City and Liverpool he wouldn’t get into the first eleven.

No idea why he’s still at Leicester, though. Hope he gets a chance at a higher level, but how likely is it that any team abroad apart from Barca and Real can afford to pick up players in contract from an English top flight team?
People need to remember that leicester are now the best team outside of the top 6 and are no longer just relegation scrappers, so if he can’t get into the first team at any top 6 club except arsenal (who I think leicester is better than) then maybe leicester actually is his level.

Last edited by a moderator:

AgentP

With Sanchez almost done and dusted, we have room to sign one more attacking player. Mata, Mkhi and Zlatan will all leave before next season. We will be left with 5 players for 4 spots which is not enough. I hope we sign either Ozil or Mahrez. The advantage of signing Mahrez would be that everyone will be able to play in their best position. Ozil signing will make us play Sanchez on the right which is not his best position imo.

Martial, Sanchez and Mahrez interchanging behind Lukaku will make us unpredictable and hard to defend against. Any of these players can provide a bit of magic that will help us break down teams that defend deep.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
His numbers over the last 2.5 seasons are up there with the very best in the league. Would love for us to sign him.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We need consistency and pace on the flanks. Our forward line is too slow at the mom. Mahrez provide neither of the two.

IrishRedDevil

We need consistency and pace on the flanks. Our forward line is too slow at the mom. Mahrez provide neither of the two.
Running with the ball at pace is one of his strengths. Running fast without the ball is one thing and rather simple for any athlete, but it takes skill to run fast with the ball while it’s under his spell.

United need ball carriers who are comfortable on the ball and willing to receive it to feet in tight situations. It means the player won’t hide while we are put under high pressing pressure, which has been a problem for United for years.

haram

Thing is with Mahrez, when he doesn’t play well, no one notices. Also, I doubt teams are playing Leciester defending deep which means he has space to play. The fact that no top club has moved for him has to tell us something.

No doubt 1v1 and with space he is devastating.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Leicester would be very stupid to sell him for anything under 70M when VvD went for that much and the likes of Chamberlain are worth 40M

Mahrez has better goal/assist contribution than the likes of Coutinho,Hazard and KdB.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Happily take him. Our attacking options would be complete. Top class CM, top class CB and a good young RB and we are a really formidable side

sully1

Fergie would have signed Mahrez.

Proper old school ring wing player

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Thing is with Mahrez, when he doesn’t play well, no one notices. Also, I doubt teams are playing Leciester defending deep which means he has space to play. The fact that no top club has moved for him has to tell us something.

No doubt 1v1 and with space he is devastating.
It tells us they are foolish. Anyone who thinks Mahrez cant play when there isnt space hasn't paid attention to hoe good the lad actually is. Its a marvel that a Barkley can move to a big club and he cant.

RooneyLegend

It tells us they are foolish. Anyone who thinks Mahrez cant play when there isnt space hasn't paid attention to hoe good the lad actually is. Its a marvel that a Barkley can move to a big club and he cant.
True, he's one of the best pure footballers in the league but apparently it is he who needs the space and not others. Spurs have Sissocko running around on the right hand side, or Lamela since he's back, neither are in Mahrez's league. We have Mata who can't take men on and is as slow as they come, Arsenal have basically no one on a consistent basis, City have Sterling, who's done well but is hardly special yet for whatever reason he seems to have to beg to get a transfer to a big club. This sort of incompetence in the transfer market is what is holding so many prem clubs back.

beingshe7don

With Sanchez almost done and dusted, we have room to sign one more attacking player. Mata, Mkhi and Zlatan will all leave before next season. We will be left with 5 players for 4 spots which is not enough. I hope we sign either Ozil or Mahrez. The advantage of signing Mahrez would be that everyone will be able to play in their best position. Ozil signing will make us play Sanchez on the right which is not his best position imo.

Martial, Sanchez and Mahrez interchanging behind Lukaku will make us unpredictable and hard to defend against. Any of these players can provide a bit of magic that will help us break down teams that defend deep.
I think Mahrez would be a great addition on the right with Valencia overlapping him. Getting Mahrez and a top notch midfielder to compliment Pogba would be great.

Jorginho and Mahrez would be great additions.

Mindhunter

He is a great attacking player but something about him tells me that he isn't going to be someone to bank on when the going gets tough. It could be just a figment of my imagination but that's my impression of him.

Also, he is not suited to our style right now where our wide attackers are much higher up the pitch and have very less space to run into and he is more of a ball carrier than a creative player.

For Arsenal, he wound't make sense because he is too direct for their indirect style of play.

Kostur

海尔的老板
I guess something must be wrong with his mentality/effort that the scouts scouting him notice and what holds other big clubs from signing him. I like him, I rate him but I guess that the season when they all downed tools, Mahrez included, left a massive question mark over his or chav's heads.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
I get the feeling that he's backup for us if the PEA deal falls through. Would suit our needs better than PEA, who I'm guessing we're buying because of being a big name as much as anything else.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I guess something must be wrong with his mentality/effort that the scouts scouting him notice and what holds other big clubs from signing him. I like him, I rate him but I guess that the season when they all downed tools, Mahrez included, left a massive question mark over his or chav's heads.
I think people said similar about Mane before he went Liverpool. I would have gone for Mahrez and Mane. I think Mahrez iwould be a great option but at the price you'd buy him for - he would have to play.

haram

I mean, Im sure most top clubs in world football will have seen him play every game. We only see highlights and when he is on tele.

Last edited:

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
I'd be very, very happy to get him but I don't know if this is based on anything more than him going to see a friend play a match.

Maybe a bit like the Loic Remy rumours a few years ao.

I mean, Im sure most top clubs in world football will have seen him play every game. We only see highlights and when he is on tele.
You only see highlights if you watch him only on youtube and match of the day. Frankly if a Mane can be bought by a Liverpool. Big clubs have zero excuse not buying him. His situation is as baffling as Aubameyang's

haram

You only see highlights if you watch him only on youtube and match of the day. Frankly if a Mane can be bought by a Liverpool. Big clubs have zero excuse not buying him. His situation is as baffling as Aubameyang's
My point is, when Mahrez has bad games, no one realises. He plays for Leicester. Yeah he is on TV sometimes but it isn't that often. Not saying he isn't a good player, but top teams have tactical considerations and look deeper into players than us fans do. I don't think they are just ignoring a former player of the year for no reason.

Unelected

Mahrez-----Sanchez-----Martial
------------------Lukaku-----------------

:drool:

Mahrez = left footed Martial, IMO. Both exciting players who leave defenders chasing shadows and score beautiful goals and with similar regularity. Both also practitioners of that running-with-a cocked-wrist-thing that Arjen Robben used to be so good at.

My point is, when Mahrez has bad games, no one realises. He plays for Leicester. Yeah he is on TV sometimes but it isn't that often. Not saying he isn't a good player, but top teams have tactical considerations and look deeper into players than us fans do. I don't think they are just ignoring a former player of the year for no reason.
I'm certain they are. The same way they have kept picking up anyone but Aubameyang. Its not like they haven't had collective blindness and bad judgement before.

Maybe Aubameyang isn't that good. Or they want different type of strikers.
You are just playing devils advocate here. Aubameyang regularly out scores most forwards domestically and is a regular scorer in the champions league vs all manner of opponent. "Isn't good" is not an excuse that can be used for not buying him. I also still insist if Mane and Barkley can get moves top clubs. Mahrez more than deserves to be picked up by one.

haram

You are just playing devils advocate here. Aubameyang regularly out scores most forwards domestically and is a regular scorer in the champions league vs all manner of opponent.
Right but the system and the type of player matters as well. Aubameyang seems to have an attitude problem on top of that.

Right but the system and the type of player matters as well. Aubameyang seems to have an attitude problem on top of that.
an attitude problem that developed over being frustrated at not getting to leave dortmund for a bigger stage. Just one Cantona in his France days. Its not reason enough to not get him. He isnt a Balotelli or an Edmundo.

Well no one really wanted him so it's still a shit attitude.
They didnt want him because they are foolish. His attitude is irrelevant. I dont get how for example you go pick like Morata from Real. Want to pick Dzeko from Roma on top of it. Yet you could have had Aubamaeyang. Who is vastly superior to both. At least a Mourinho can claim he likes target men and PEA isnt suited. But Chelsea? Arsenal now only interested coz they lost Sanchez (lacazette)? Milan where he is a former youth player?

haram

They didnt want him because they are foolish. His attitude is irrelevant. I dont get how for example you go pick like Morata from Real. Want to pick Dzeko from Roma on top of it. Yet you could have had Aubamaeyang. Who is vastly superior to both. At least a Mourinho can claim he likes target men and PEA isnt suited. But Chelsea? Arsenal now only interested coz they lost Sanchez (lacazette)? Milan where he is a former youth player?
Yeah, there is the possibility that he isn't actually that good. Attitude is not irrelevant either.

Swift Football

If Kloop can get them all interchanging in a coherent way it would be an absolute nightmare to pick up and defend.
But, they will also lose some of their tireless pressing which is their basic style and strength. They will have to change formation from their 4-3-3 setup which is ideal for their gameplan and also, having all these attackers crammed up, they will lose a proper midfielder to dictate the game/playmake.

Overall, if they get Mahrez, that would be a good job to replace Coutinho, but Mahrez is no Coutinho, and they will be weaker without Coutinho.

AndyJ1985

If possible I'd sell Mata and bring in Mahrez in the summer. I think he'd give our team so much more in attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.