Malaysian Plane crashes over the Ukraine | 17th July 2014

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
What gets me is that is that it is the Ukrainian government that primarily sets flight restrictions within its airspace, it was currently restricted in this area up to 32k feet. If their intelligence is monitoring the rebels enough to be able to release a recording of them discussing shooting the plane down 30 min after the incident then they also must have been aware of the social network posts from them bragging about having a buk weapons system for the past 2-3 weeks that can take down planes well above 32k feet.

I feel like it's a massive failure on their part (and others admittedly) to not completely restrict the airspace to civilian airliners.
This is just plain stupidity on airlines part. It's not as if the war stops at 32k feet!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The whole situation in Ukraine has come about through meddling which the US and Obama have had no reluctance in sticking their oar into...and now a tragedy happens the main priority is to use that as a weapon to stick the oar in some more. As if somehow the US or someone is supposed to emerge as the good guy?

A bunch of innocent people get blown to pieces by a missile and all anyone is interested in is political or agenda point scoring or taking some kind of entertainment value from the possible fallout...which is exactly the kind of thing that leads to stuff happening like innocent people getting blown up by missiles.
Actually it hasn't. The US and Ukraine have a right to bilateral relations like any other countries who wish to do so. Russia however, doesn't have a right to intimidate Ukraine into staying in the former Soviet sphere, which is the root cause of the problem.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Actually it hasn't. The US and Ukraine have a right to bilateral relations like any other countries who wish to do so. Russia however, doesn't have a right to intimidate Ukraine into staying in the former Soviet sphere, which is the root cause of the problem.
Yes, but there is a sort of unwritten rule about messing about in other countries backyards. Latin America was declared off-limits by the US for decades.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yes, but there is a sort of unwritten rule about messing about in other countries backyards. Latin America was declared off-limits by the US for decades.
There may be, but its always reducible to who has the power. Russia may be able to intimidate Ukraine, but it can't intimidate the US, so there's only going to be one loser here.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Well the Russians wouldn't respond directly, they'd do lots of annoying shit to piss off the US as a retaliation. Proxy wars were the big one back over the last 50 years.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't think there's much at the crash site in terms of evidence. The bulk of the evidence will come from intelligence that tracks communications (as the Ukrainians have already provided), as well as electronic and other means of tracking where the missile came from and who ordered it fired.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Reports of belongings being looted by Russian supported groups, bodies being removed from the site and pretty much completely contaminating the crash site
That's pretty much expected. Those village idiots might not have seen a laptop or an iPhone before.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
This is just plain stupidity on airlines part. It's not as if the war stops at 32k feet!
Exactly. No matter how 'safe' the safe route and flight restriction seems to be set at, trusting the so-called safe route over a war territory doesn't really makes sense to me. What is being considered safe path for the aviation industry doesn't really means anything to those crazy feckers with weapons. Shite always happened within the war zone for feck sake.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I don't think there's much at the crash site in terms of evidence. The bulk of the evidence will come from intelligence that tracks communications (as the Ukrainians have already provided), as well as electronic and other means of tracking where the missile came from and who ordered it fired.
I think there is a great deal of evidence that could be collected but it doesn't look like it will be needed given the plethora of evidence already pointing to SAM strike by Russian backed separatists.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yep. I suppose the only interesting evidence will be the logic of why they shot it down - whether it was intentional or a misidentified plane.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Some good corroborating evidence could go missing though. Stuff that would make it more difficult to claim the radar evidence is fake.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Well the Russians wouldn't respond directly, they'd do lots of annoying shit to piss off the US as a retaliation. Proxy wars were the big one back over the last 50 years.
Aye. Proxy wars- the downside of the mutually assured destruction hypothesis.
I somehow doubt it, but I do hope someone is brought to book for this.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I reckon the phone recording of the Russians talking about having shot the plane down is pretty watertight evidence.
There's that, and also the Tweet from Igor Strelkov, and the video allegedly showing the BUK launcher being moved back across the Russian border immediately after the shoot down broke on the news.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
The whole situation in Ukraine has come about through meddling which the US and Obama have had no reluctance in sticking their oar into...and now a tragedy happens the main priority is to use that as a weapon to stick the oar in some more. As if somehow the US or someone is supposed to emerge as the good guy?

A bunch of innocent people get blown to pieces by a missile and all anyone is interested in is political or agenda point scoring or taking some kind of entertainment value from the possible fallout...which is exactly the kind of thing that leads to stuff happening like innocent people getting blown up by missiles.
The US have given the Ukrainians advanced weaponry havent they. And taught then how to use it. All because they want to annex parts of Russia....

Yeah

I'm actually really unsure what to make of this. Russians are supplying weapons. The US are supplying medical supplies. Russia are the ones encouraging the separatists who have just apparently shot down the plane.

Blame the US and the Israelis for the atrocities they do commit, not the ones they have nothing to do with

GloryHunter07

I reckon the phone recording of the Russians talking about having shot the plane down is pretty watertight evidence.
I wouldn't say it was watertight. They will just say it was staged

I don't expect anyone will ever be pinned down on this one.

GloryHunter07

Russia has been sticking its kalashnikov in too, dont forget. Ukraine and its people stuck in the middle

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Its really all down to Russia. Putin can't seem to get it in his head that he doesn't own Ukraine, and that its an entirely separate country.

Krits

Maybe not suitable for all. Don't know if it has been posted

That video makes me feel that the passengers were probably alive for the crash. The aircraft is pretty much still intact other than the right wing. :(

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

That video makes me feel that the passengers were probably alive for the crash. The aircraft is pretty much still intact other than the right wing. :(
Don't think thats the right plane. That was the crash from earlier in the month.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.

Holy shit.. You're right, that plane is intact right till the end, they would all have been alive for that terrifying dive, unthinkable.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks

Is that confirmed as real?

It does seem from reports that the idea that the idea of the people onboard becoming unconscious instantly is a comforting thought but not necessarily accurate

But it also was said to be breaking apart midair

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
What crash from earlier this month?
They've been shooting down Ukraine transport planes. One was shot down on the 7th June.

I'm right, just did a youtube search and found a video from 7th June with the exact same footage and a comment saying "Why is CNN using this as footage for the incident yesterday?!"

CNN :lol:

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
They've been shooting down Ukraine transport planes. One was shot down on the 7th June.

I'm right, just did a youtube search and found a video from 7th June with the exact same footage and a comment saying "Why is CNN using this as footage for the incident yesterday?!"

Yup, same video from June 6th..

Redo91

As others have said that's not the plane. Footage is over a month old.

MDFC Manager

The plane definitely broke up midair. No other way would debris be scatter over 10 kms. That's a small mercy for the passengers i suppose.

Krits

Damn. I apologise. The livery looked like MAS colours so I didn't bother vetting the video. Still a horrific video to see.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Damn. I apologise. The livery looked like MAS colours so I didn't bother vetting the video. Still a horrific video to see.
4 people onboard, it's a military craft so they should have had parachutes, whether they used them or not I'm not sure. But to put it into perspective...

The plane in that video (An-30B) has a service ceiling of 27,000 feet and flies at 260mph.
MH17 which is a Boeing 777 has a typical cruise speed of 35,000 feet at 560mph.

So MH17 was at least 8,000 feet higher and travelling at more than double the speed. Although I don't know what speeds or heights the AN-30B would need to be at if they were indeed taking surveillance photos. I very much doubt they'd be doing their maximum speed/altitude in those circumstances so the altitude/speed differences would be even greater.

Scary stuff. But at least doing those speeds and that altitude the plane would have ripped itself apart in a matter of seconds and as someone said, the geforces involved would have knocked everyone out extremely quickly. That is at least a small crumb of comfort.

Krits

4 people onboard, it's a military craft so they should have had parachutes, whether they used them or not I'm not sure. But to put it into perspective...

The plane in that video (An-30B) has a service ceiling of 27,000 feet and flies at 260mph.
MH17 which is a Boeing 777 has a typical cruise speed of 35,000 feet at 560mph.

So MH17 was at least 8,000 feet higher and travelling at more than double the speed. Although I don't know what speeds or heights the AN-30B would need to be at if they were indeed taking surveillance photos. I very much doubt they'd be doing their maximum speed/altitude in those circumstances so the altitude/speed differences would be even greater.

Scary stuff. But at least doing those speeds and that altitude the plane would have ripped itself apart in a matter of seconds and as someone said, the geforces involved would have knocked everyone out extremely quickly. That is at least a small crumb of comfort.
That is what we hope for in these shitty situations. That the people on board didn't suffer. But don't be so sure about an aircraft falling away to pieces. It really would depend on where the missile hit, but I believe in the case of this 777 it did mostly break apart on the way down.

But there isn't much G-force involved. In a dive you are still feeling only 1g. It is only when you try and arrest a fall (basically pull up) that you would feel any G's. Yes the G-force on impact would mean instant death. But sadly, I feel there could have been some people alive for those horrific last seconds. Even considering the lack of oxygen at that altitude, the Time of Useful Consciousness at 36000 feet is about 30 seconds but that is a human average.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
That is what we hope for in these shitty situations. That the people on board didn't suffer. But don't be so sure about an aircraft falling away to pieces. It really would depend on where the missile hit, but I believe in the case of this 777 it did mostly break apart on the way down.

But there isn't much G-force involved. In a dive you are still feeling only 1g. It is only when you try and arrest a fall (basically pull up) that you would feel any G's. Yes the G-force on impact would mean instant death. But sadly, I feel there could have been some people alive for those horrific last seconds. Even considering the lack of oxygen at that altitude, the Time of Useful Consciousness at 36000 feet is about 30 seconds but that is a human average.
Well as far as I know, if any damage is caused to the fuselage then at that speed and altitude it would very quickly expand and shatter the plane into pieces. Which is why when planes have failures of any kind at that altitude/speed it tends to be fatal. This is my understanding from watching a few documentaries about plane crashes anyway. It's common sense if you think about it. Why i'm explaining this to you is beyond me considering your job! :lol:

I suppose in short, we won't really know what happened because as far as I know, there isn't a clear video of the moment of impact, so we don't know exactly where the missile hit.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
Kiev says it has proof that missile launchers with Russian crews crossed into Ukraine as fears mount that rebels are destroying evidence and removing bodies from the crash site (Guardian)

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
To lose someone in this type of atrocity is horrific enough but to learn that the bodies have been moved and robbed is vile. Putin has alienated the world.
I dont think there is any more dignity in leaving the bodies where they fell, I suspect they have moved them to a mourge

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Is there any update on communication evidence as to who might have fired the missile? Was it the pro-Russian rebels?