Manchester City 17/18 discussion | "If you're here for the Champions clap your hands" (#6505)

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Why do you care so much that people in general will never value the achievements of the City project in comparison to clubs who earn their success.
It is what it is. State owned, Oil money, the human rights abuses, financial doping etc are all part of the package but don't let that spoil your enjoyment.
Seems kind of strange that you're moaning about this on our forum.
Welcome to the forum.
Nothing like feeling your way gently, eh?

BRRRRAP

Welcome to the forum.
Nothing like feeling your way gently, eh?
You're funny. City fans and other fans are welcome here but please don't complain that everyone isn't buying into the UAE project. I'm sure there are other forums you'll get a more sympathetic ear.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
You're funny. City fans and other fans are welcome here but please don't complain that everyone isn't buying into the UAE project. I'm sure there are other forums you'll get a more sympathetic ear.
LOL at the newb telling me where I should post.

BRRRRAP

LOL at the newb telling me where I should post.
You're posting on our forum Jim. Not only that but you are more than welcome here. We have no problems with City fans but expecting us to value the sugar daddy oil project over clubs that have earned success, well that is just not going to happen.
Like I said, it is what is. Just enjoy it.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
You're posting on our forum Jim. Not only that but you are more than welcome here. We have no problems with City fans but expecting us to value the sugar daddy oil project over clubs that have earned success, well that is just not going to happen.
Look mate, there's nothing you've said that hasn't been posted on here and debated by the resident City fans ad nauseum.
If you think I'm going to take offence or advice from a guy who has fewer posts than I have visits to your ground then you're dreaming.
Why are you even here while United are playing an important CL match?

padr81

Supports
Man City
Lol, 17 posts, "our" forum. I believe it's Nialls or someone among the staffs. Certainly not yours. The pathetic "our forum" constantly comes up from those whose arguments have been dismissed our shown up for idiotic posts. Haven't read back to see which yours is, but you are no more entitled to be here than Jim at least until someone whose actual forum it is, tells him otherwise.

Reading the rest of your post probably turns out you're just bitter because well Pep's being schooling you guys on how to win the league this season. Nobody expects you to value anything over anything, just not to come into the thread being a wum and spouting shite.

1Manchester

Supports
Manchester City
I can totally see Arse now beating them, how often do we see this - a team gets built up to win a treble/quadruple (it even happened to us in the past) and in a short space of time the wagon falls apart, and they're left with one trophy at the end of it.
You know what I fear you are right, we are still the more likely winners of the League Cup but with this result they have been given a massive confidence boost without a doubt. Not good when one dreds the thought of that club winning it (1).

The contrast between how jose handled the league cup loss to how pep is taking this loss is hilarious.
Quite frankly Jose should have been more angry at the fact they where knocked out of the League Cup by (good as they are) Bristol City, the fact is that is for a team like United it is completely unacceptable to lose against a team like team as much as it is unacceptable for City to barely win against the same team (in the same cup) and to lose against Wigan in the FA Cup.

However one cannot just be angry, you also have to channel your anger in the right direction. So (in our case) instead of arguing with the coaching staff of the opposing team, vandalise their ground or moan at the ref, they need to channel it towards the board/management and the cock-ups they made with their transfer policy.

Imagine if they lose vs Arsenal and get knocked out in CL in next round, they would be unstoppable next season.
If it has to take that for us to realise that our squad is not to properly compete in all 4 competitions and break the El Classico monopoly, then that is a price I would be willing to pay as a City fan. Because for me the aim should be not to do well in one season, but to do well and become dominant season after season.

(1) Simply because (like all those FA Cups they have won in recent years) has allowed Wenger, the owner/board and their supporters (Ty especially) to justify the car crash of a direction they seem to be heading towards, nothing more and nothing less. In fact I am so opposed to them winning it that I would prefer that United won it over them.

1Manchester

Supports
Manchester City
Arsenal always get their gear on in these cup finals. They can do it.
They can certainly do it without a doubt, the question is that will their defensive, midfield and Ozil step up? Especially when Sanchez is not going to do the job for them this time around.

I'm not even sure if this City team are top 5 in PL history; I would consider mutliple United, Arsenal and Chelsea teams above them. United and Arsenal in the 90s, United and Arsenal in the early 2000s, Chelsea 2004-07, all played fantastic football and won more.
If City win the Premier League (by over 100 points) and win the League Cup. They would in my view be joint 3rd with the Chelsea 2004-2007 era team, with the United team of 2007-2009 and the United Treble Winners (despite their somewhat low points tally for a PL Title Winner, the fact they won all 3 trophies in the same season compensates for that) in 2nd and 1st place respectively. If City do all that and somehow win the Champions Leagues, we would be the 2nd best or even joint 1st.

The invincibles and United treble teams are the best English teams ever, then can be followed by some Chelsea teams like 2005-2006, 2010, United 2008, then yeah can put City this season and Chelsea last season as numbers 6 and 7, but regarding top 2 a team will need to achieve something remarkable to beat the invincibles and the treble team.
I would rate the Chelsea 2004-2005 team as better than the Invincibles, simply while both of them lost the same number of games overall (across 4 competitons) (1), Chelsea won the League with a higher points tally, won a domestic cup and reached further into the Champions League than the Invincibles did.

Likewise I would also rate the United 2007-2009 team as higher than the Invincibles as well, since their PL points in each of those 3 seasons was either the same or similar to the Invincibles while they also won a Champions League, reached another CL final and won a Domestic Cup to boot during that time.

Thus it's such a shame then that when it came to their 2008-2009 season, they came so close (In other 2 addtional Premier League wins, a FA Cup Semi-Final win and a Champions League final win) away from becoming the definitive English Club side of all time, in other words the first team to win the Quadruple and do so with a record PL points tally to boot.

(1) And besides Chelsea 1 Premier League game loss that season is not exactly that much worse than Arsenal's losing record the previous season (and lets not forget the higher number of Premier League wins by Chelsea in 2004-2005 compared to the Invincibles as well

Last edited:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
They can certainly do it without a doubt, the question is that will their defensive, midfield and Ozil step up? Especially when Sanchez is not going to do the job for them this time around.

If City win the Premier League (by over 100 points) and win the League Cup. They would in my view be joint 3rd with the Chelsea 2004-2007 era team, with the United team of 2007-2009 and the United Treble Winners (despite their somewhat low points tally for a PL Title Winner, the fact they won all 3 trophies in the same season compensates for that) in 2nd and 1st place respectively. If City do all that and somehow win the Champions Leagues, we would be the 2nd best or even joint 1st.

I would rate the Chelsea 2004-2005 team as better than the Invincibles, simply while both of them lost the same number of games overall (across 4 competitons) (1), Chelsea won the League with a higher points tally, won a domestic cup and reached further into the Champions League than the Invincibles did.

Likewise I would also rate the United 2007-2009 team as higher than the Invincibles as well, since their PL points in each of those 3 seasons was either the same or similar to the Invincibles while they also won a Champions League, reached another CL final and won a Domestic Cup to boot during that time.

(1) And besides Chelsea 1 Premier League game loss that season is not exactly that much worse than Arsenal's losing record the previous season (and lets not forget the higher number of Premier League wins by Chelsea in 2004-2005 compared to the Invincibles as well
Woah there, hold your horses.

To be considered among the great teams of the premier league era, you must first achieve something worthy of recognition and remembrance. Winning a league and cup double is hardly groundbreaking. I would also like to remind you of the very small fact that City, as of this moment in time, have won absolutely nothing.

When they have largely dominated for a substantial number of years, equivalent to that of United, Arsenal and to a lesser extent Chelsea, we can revisit this line of thought.

Longevity is the key to being remembered as a truly great team. City are barely a blip on the radar at present.

padr81

Supports
Man City

To be considered among the great teams of the premier league era, you must first achieve something worthy of recognition and remembrance. Winning a league and cup double is hardly groundbreaking. I would also like to remind you of the very small fact that City, as of this moment in time, have won absolutely nothing.

When they have largely dominated for a substantial number of years, equivalent to that of United, Arsenal and to a lesser extent Chelsea, we can revisit this line of thought.

Longevity is the key to being remembered as a truly great team. City are barely a blip on the radar at present.
This. To go down as one of the greats we need a couple of titles and a CL. Otherwise, we're incomparable to Fergusons best United teams.

1Manchester

Supports
Manchester City

To be considered among the great teams of the premier league era, you must first achieve something worthy of recognition and remembrance. Winning a league and cup double is hardly groundbreaking.
To be fair being 3rd best kind of means repeating what Chelsea did in 2004-2005, which was win the Premier League with a very high points tally, win a Domestic Cup and reach the Semi-Finals of the Champions League. So it is more than just a mere League and Cup Double.

Likewise I did also say that the United Teams of 1999-2001 and 2007-2009 where in the Top 2. So it was not like I was comparing City's possible end result this season with either of those teams. Instead I was suggesting we would be better than the Invincibles and as good as Chelsea in 2004-2005.

I would also like to remind you of the very small fact that City, as of this moment in time, have won absolutely nothing.
I never said that City where going to win the League by over 100+ points and win the League Cup. I said that if they ended up somehow managing to reach those goals (I myself have my doubts about us winning the League) then we would be on the same level as the 2004-2005 Chelsea Team, which I stated was the 3rd best team in the history of the Premier League.

In which case you might might say that the one Premier League team that has been dominant for an extended period of time is Manchester United. Which to be fair is pretty much true what being the only team to win 3 titles in a row (and doing it twice), more League and Cup Doubles than anyone else and your record in Europe (including the only PL team to win a European Double to date).

Agreed, likewise I am not exactly content with City being joint all-time 3rd best in the Premier League. I want them to be the best, to domestic domestically and to dominate in Europe as well. We most certainly don't have the squad for that without a doubt but that should be City's aim.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Proper dig by our fans Singing Will Grigg is on fire at Sevilla :)
I was smiling when I heard this. The thought of United fans traveling all the way to Spain for a Champions League last 16 tie and singing about little old City was amusing to me.

BRRRRAP

Lol, 17 posts, "our" forum. I believe it's Nialls or someone among the staffs. Certainly not yours. The pathetic "our forum" constantly comes up from those whose arguments have been dismissed our shown up for idiotic posts. Haven't read back to see which yours is, but you are no more entitled to be here than Jim at least until someone whose actual forum it is, tells him otherwise.

Reading the rest of your post probably turns out you're just bitter because well Pep's being schooling you guys on how to win the league this season. Nobody expects you to value anything over anything, just not to come into the thread being a wum and spouting shite.
Lol, you lot are a strange bunch. So Redcafe is not our forum now. Which part of Redcafe the leading Manchester United forum do you not get?
Like I said, fans of other clubs are more than welcome as guests, especially those who contribute intelligently. Inclusion and diversity are really valued here, unlike some club's fan forums.

Last edited:

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Lol, you lot are a strange bunch. So Redcafe is not our forum now. Which part of Redcafe the leading Manchester United forum do you not get?
Like I said, fans of other clubs are more than welcome as guests, especially those who contribute intelligently. Inclusion and diversity are really valued here, unlike some club's fan forums.
works both ways, and you've been here a week and I haven't seen much from you contributing intelligently

BRRRRAP

works both ways, and you've been here a week and I haven't seen much from you contributing intelligently
Cheeky
I am simply pointing out that this is a Manchester United forum, as in RedCafe the leading Manchester United forum.
That is the reality of it. Anyone who thinks otherwise is simply wrong.
Fans of other clubs are most welcome guests. Personally, I think it would be boring if we were all United supporters.
But it is a United forum.
It ain't rocket science.

Last edited:

Shy_Coconut

I'm insanely jealous of the Invincibles. Was truly gutted we never achieved this under SAF. Don't care about winning the league with 100 pts & scoring 100 goals. Nobody really remembers this at the end of the day. Think both City & Liverpool scored over 100 goals in the title duel of a few years ago. The season is still mostly remembered for Slippy though.

Was seriously worried this season that City were going to go unbeaten. They were playing well & luck was going their way. They are going to win the league & rack up a big points total. This will all be forgotten in a few weeks though. If they had gone the season unbeaten we would have never heard the end of it from the media.

Reactions: SteveJ

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
It was a mere one season though. Sure, a great season & a fine achievement but, still, one season. Real achievement is doing what we did so often: winning titles regularly.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Lol you've been on it a week, its a United forum which is open to other posters too. I get that I've been on this forum over 2 years, get on with most other posters and think I understand the place a bit better than some wum whose on it a week and goes around acting like he owns the place.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
One can take longetivity into account, and also hail single season accomplishments. To dismiss the latter until it is repeated is nonsense. I don't need to wait for 5 years before comparing Leicester's accomplishment to Arsenal's Invincibles (an example)

padr81

Supports
Man City
I'm insanely jealous of the Invincibles. Was truly gutted we never achieved this under SAF. Don't care about winning the league with 100 pts & scoring 100 goals. Nobody really remembers this at the end of the day. Think both City & Liverpool scored over 100 goals in the title duel of a few years ago. The season is still mostly remembered for Slippy though.

Was seriously worried this season that City were going to go unbeaten. They were playing well & luck was going their way. They are going to win the league & rack up a big points total. This will all be forgotten in a few weeks though. If they had gone the season unbeaten we would have never heard the end of it from the media.
United treble season is a far greater season than the invincibles imho.

This season would I prefer City win 2 trophies with the loss to Liverpool (and even a few more), or win 1 trophy unbeaten, I'd totally take the 2 trophies.
Not to belittle an amazing Arsenal team but if we were to lose 5 games in the league this season and have beaten Wigan, I'd prefer that. As good and all as the invincibles were I believe they won 1 trophy in 3 seasons.. though I could be wrong.

adexkola

Supports
United treble season is a far greater season than the invincibles imho.

This season would I prefer City win 2 trophies with the loss to Liverpool (and even a few more), or win 1 trophy unbeaten, I'd totally take the 2 trophies.
Not to belittle an amazing Arsenal team but if we were to lose 5 games in the league this season and have beaten Wigan, I'd prefer that. As good and all as the invincibles were I believe they won 1 trophy in 3 seasons.. though I could be wrong.
They won the FA Cup the following season I believe.

padr81

Supports
Man City
They won the FA Cup the following season I believe.
Ah guess I was wrong. A side that good probably should have won more league titles. Still a great team and I'm not trying to take them down, just more trophies = better season imho.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
One can take longetivity into account, and also hail single season accomplishments. To dismiss the latter until it is repeated is nonsense. I don't need to wait for 5 years before comparing Leicester's accomplishment to Arsenal's Invincibles (an example)
Not to diminish their acomplishment in any way, but Leicester's triumph that season is seen by the vast majority of the footballing world as an anomalous event - a deviation from the norm - never to occur again. The team that led them to the title were full of distinctly average footballers such as Vardy, Mahrez, Drinkwater and Kante (the latter being the only world class player they possessed). Arsenal's team of invincibles contained some of the greatest players the Premier League has ever seen, the likes of Henry, Vieira, Pires, Bergkamp and Cole being the standouts among a near endless list of superstars.

Comparing both teams acomplishments in terms of squad ability would be a non-starter, just as it would when comparing that Leicester team to practically every United team under SAF - title winners or otherwise. If you were to ask any City fan which great footballing side from down the years to compare their current team with, I doubt very much that Leicester will be among them.

Trizy

It would be a Treble, just the Tesco Value Treble. Beats the Liverpool Pound Shop Treble of 2001 mind.
And our treble last year was an Aldi treble? I'd take any of those trebles this year given our only chance of silverware is a single FA cup.

Classical Mechanic

And our treble last year was an Aldi treble? I'd take any of those trebles this year given our only chance of silverware is a single FA cup.
I don't count the CS at all. And I don't go around calling what we did last year as 'the double'. Some Scousers refer to 2001 as 'the treble'.

AshRK

Although city are the favourites for this Sunday, I won't be surprised if arsenal springs a surprise. I know the einsteins will say it's just a league cup but many realistic fans will agree it is a big trophy to win for both the clubs. City losing this will be a huge blow to them considering they just got knocked out from FA cup. Arsenal may not get a better opportunity to win this season than this so for them and especially wenger it will be very important.

adexkola

Supports
Although city are the favourites for this Sunday, I won't be surprised if arsenal springs a surprise. I know the einsteins will say it's just a league cup but many realistic fans will agree it is a big trophy to win for both the clubs. City losing this will be a huge blow to them considering they just got knocked out from FA cup. Arsenal may not get a better opportunity to win this season than this so for them and especially wenger it will be very important.
Their last 3 trophies (one against a PL winning Chelsea) got ignored, so I doubt a win would move the meter at all for Arsenal.

Jacko21

I don't count the CS at all. And I don't go around calling what we did last year as 'the double'. Some Scousers refer to 2001 as 'the treble'.
Would be typical of Guardiola's henchmen in the media to redefine what it means to win the 'treble'. Only four teams have completed the European treble in the modern era, I'm not having City try to gain admission to the club by winning the 'other cup.'

Untied

The FA charging Pep over his yellow ribbon given their continued arguments with FIFA over poppies, is absolute hypocritical bollocks.

AshRK

Their last 3 trophies (one against a PL winning Chelsea) got ignored, so I doubt a win would move the meter at all for Arsenal.
Not saying arsenal will kick on from that and have a great season, just that winning something is always better than winning nothing .

adexkola

Supports
Not saying arsenal will kick on from that and have a great season, just that winning something is always better than winning nothing .
True that.

The FA charging Pep over his yellow ribbon given their continued arguments with FIFA over poppies, is absolute hypocritical bollocks.
Its a fine that Pep and the club would gladly pay. And it is hypocritical from the FA.