Manchester City 17/18 discussion | "If you're here for the Champions clap your hands" (#6505)

prtk0811

We'll see! I hope you're right but I'm not of the opinion that Pep's football isn't suited to the PL. Honestly, I thought they'd win it last year but was delighted to see how they did in the end.
No just that the fellow top 5 teams playing direct and counter attacking are more consistant than the posession based teams in this league. This league is not a 2 horse race.

Nanotron

Pep is not messing around this summer. He knows what he wants and the club is quickly wrapping up the deals. Most of the players he is targeting are also attainable since they are not already in top clubs. Silva, Ederson, Mendy, Fabinho and Walker can all be wrapped up by the end of June if they go on at this pace. Their starting XI next season would be the best on paper if they get all their targets.

Ederson
Walker Kompany Otamendi Mendy
Fabinho
B.Silva KDB
Jesus Aguero Sane

Subs: Bravo, Stones, Silva, Sterling, Toure, Fernandinho, Gundogan
This team looks amazing. The five attacking players will combine so well and cause so many problems for the opposition. Two full backs who can get up and down the pitch. Great team and bench all round. I just hope that we pounce and get Mendy and Fabinho ahead of them.
If they add a proper CH to that team then they look really really strong, cant depend on Kompany staying fit. With proper "squad players", look at that bench. Would be the very definition of squad players fit for a championship winning team.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
If they add a proper CH to that team then they look really really strong, cant depend on Kompany staying fit. With proper "squad players", look at that bench. Would be the very definition of squad players fit for a championship winning team.
Rumours that Otamendi could actually leave, in which case we definitely need another CB. You have to assume Kompany will only play 15 games, and if he stays fit then it's just a huge bonus.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think a huge turnover of players is also a risky strategy. They could be looking at a slow start if all these players need to gel and don't hit the ground running.
Their midfield still looks very weak.

Nanotron

Rumours that Otamendi could actually leave, in which case we definitely need another CB. You have to assume Kompany will only play 15 games, and if he stays fit then it's just a huge bonus.
You also have to apply the same logic to your players that we would our own. That is, Stones should improve, he cant get much worse, I don't expect to see half the errors he made this season again. But yeah, you need an equivalent of Kompany for sure. Im surprised you are not after Alderwierald or VVD. Both Pep defenders who can actually defend.

AkaAkuma

It looks good on paper, but most of the players they are signing are relatively inexperienced and coming off a break through season.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
They're missing a midfield right now. Expect that'll be addressed in the coming weeks.

Kostur

海尔的老板
I don't know if getting rid of Sagna, Zabaleta and Clichy at the same time was a good move, sure, they need better quality in fullbacks but they've got rid of quite the depth. Who've they got for those positions now? Kolarov? Anybody else? Won't be able to play some Sane/Sterling as quasi wingbacks against everybody.

AgentP

I don't know if getting rid of Sagna, Zabaleta and Clichy at the same time was a good move, sure, they need better quality in fullbacks but they've got rid of quite the depth. Who've they got for those positions now? Kolarov? Anybody else? Won't be able to play some Sane/Sterling as quasi wingbacks against everybody.
Kolarov and Fernandinho will be the backup full backs.

Blind

They're missing a midfield right now. Expect that'll be addressed in the coming weeks.
Fernandinho and Gundogan are still two excellent options, if Gundogan can recover fully from injury. Even Yaya still shows his class at times, I think people are overestimating the need for a holding midfielder against mid table and relegation fodder, especially at home.

Woodzy

Quite impressive how they are getting things done early. What worries me more is that their squad (attack most specifically) needed far less work than ours.

Still, i'm excited to see what Mourinho has up his sleeve and i'm sure we won't be disappointed this summer.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Quite impressive how they are getting things done early. What worries me more is that their squad (attack most specifically) needed far less work than ours.

Still, i'm excited to see what Mourinho has up his sleeve and i'm sure we won't be disappointed this summer.
That's true, but our defence needs a lot more work, so thats an offset. We'll definitely sign a new GK, be interesting to see how your situation pans out there.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
You also have to apply the same logic to your players that we would our own. That is, Stones should improve, he cant get much worse, I don't expect to see half the errors he made this season again. But yeah, you need an equivalent of Kompany for sure. Im surprised you are not after Alderwierald or VVD. Both Pep defenders who can actually defend.
Stones next to Kompany is fine, Stones next to Otamendi is a disaster. Really it all comes back to find a Kompany replacement if he's out. The two names you've mentioned probably do the trick, but we aren't hearing those kind of noises at the moment. Given our current signing profile you'd expect it to be someone sub 25 years old!

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I don't think Bernardo Silva will improve them that much. De Bruyne is about as good as him and he plays pretty much the same position as well. They are stocking up offensive midfielders so Pep probably intends to play several of them at the same time but it will inevitably lead to a complete lack of balance.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Pep is not messing around this summer. He knows what he wants and the club is quickly wrapping up the deals. Most of the players he is targeting are also attainable since they are not already in top clubs. Silva, Ederson, Mendy, Fabinho and Walker can all be wrapped up by the end of June if they go on at this pace. Their starting XI next season would be the best on paper if they get all their targets.

Ederson
Walker Kompany Otamendi Mendy
Fabinho
B.Silva KDB
Jesus Aguero Sane

Subs: Bravo, Stones, Silva, Sterling, Toure, Fernandinho, Gundogan
This team looks amazing. The five attacking players will combine so well and cause so many problems for the opposition. Two full backs who can get up and down the pitch. Great team and bench all round. I just hope that we pounce and get Mendy and Fabinho ahead of them.
Long-term, with the exception of Kompany and Aguero, that's a team that can win multiple titles. Short-term it's very difficult to integrate that many new players, particularly in a team that flip flops about as much as Pep.

prtk0811

I don't think Bernardo Silva will improve them that much. De Bruyne is about as good as him and he plays pretty much the same position as well. They are stocking up offensive midfielders so Pep probably intends to play several of them at the same time but it will inevitably lead to a complete lack of balance.
Pep's plan is to be 2-0 or 3-0 up by half time so that they force the opponents to come out and attack them for them to have more space. He Defends with the ball with a high press so the lack of balance dont matter much when your offensive players dont loose the ball in Posession. Silva is that kind of player, He does not loose the ball in high pressure .

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I reckon that they will line-up something like this.

Kompany and Gundogan are both crooks. If they are fit, they'll probably take Otamendi and Fernandinho's place in this formation.

Bernardo - 43m
Mendy - 35m
Semedo - 30m
Van Dijk - 50m
Ederson - 30m

But City's owners have feck you money, so that really doesn't matter.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Difference was, his Barca side has Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta in midfield in perfect harmony. His city side will have who? Fabinho (theoretically), De Bruyne and Silva? With other other Silva and Sane wide? KDB looks hopeless in CM, which is where they are forced to play him.assive waste of his talent.

They'll be interesting to watch for sure.
Hopeless after topping the league in assists, hitting the bar ten times.

Gonçalo Motta

At this rate they will spend more than the other PL teams combined. I like the team he is building for the next season but it would be fun if they failed big time at all fronts

Stability

Supports
Manchester City
At this rate they will spend more than the other PL teams combined. I like the team he is building for the next season but it would be fun if they failed big time at all fronts
Aha. No doubt City will spend big, but I imagine United will be similar. Griezmann alone looks to be costing similar to what City will be spending on their first two signings - then add in a few others that are rumoured to you guys & it'll be getting to pretty crazy numbers for each team.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Stones next to Kompany is fine, Stones next to Otamendi is a disaster. Really it all comes back to find a Kompany replacement if he's out. The two names you've mentioned probably do the trick, but we aren't hearing those kind of noises at the moment. Given our current signing profile you'd expect it to be someone sub 25 years old!
The last few years has shown goals get you far in this league. For us, we've had four years of finding goals hard to come by. Our problems are a lot more difficult to solve.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
trying to make my mind up about Marco Silva's move to City. When I've seen him he' been good but a lot of the French fist division is pretty poor and I'm not sure I even noticed him against Juve

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Aha. No doubt City will spend big, but I imagine United will be similar. Griezmann alone looks to be costing similar to what City will be spending on their first two signings - then add in a few others that are rumoured to you guys & it'll be getting to pretty crazy numbers for each team.
He's only costing £20m or so more than Silva.

gibers

No just that the fellow top 5 teams playing direct and counter attacking are more consistant than the posession based teams in this league. This league is not a 2 horse race.
No just a one horse race based on the last 2 seasons.

gibers

trying to make my mind up about Marco Silva's move to City. When I've seen him he' been good but a lot of the French fist division is pretty poor and I'm not sure I even noticed him against Juve
Yea, considering he just signed as Watford Manager I think they could take him to court!

On a serious note he will do well. He was great against City and he does well in compact areas. No player has done much against Juve. Neymar and Suarez did nothing over 2 games.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
I reckon that they will line-up something like this.

Kompany and Gundogan are both crooks. If they are fit, they'll probably take Otamendi and Fernandinho's place in this formation.

Bernardo - 43m
Mendy - 35m
Semedo - 30m
Van Dijk - 50m
Ederson - 30m

But City's owners have feck you money, so that really doesn't matter.

You are a supporter of Barcelona and you think Guardiola will play a midfield with a point forward. If he has all the players he needs available and fit that formation will be sparingly used.

Stability

Supports
Manchester City
He's only costing £20m or so more than Silva.
Oh, I've not followed his transfer news - just had a google before I posted that & it said his buyout clause was £85m & that's what seems to be expected you'd pay? B. Silva was £43m & I imagine Mendy will be ~£40m too (or Ederson for £35-40m; but I predict Mendy on Monday to be first), that's where my maths was from!

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
You are a supporter of Barcelona and you think Guardiola will play a midfield with a point forward. If he has all the players he needs available and fit that formation will be sparingly used.
De Bruyne should be deeper in that formation.

It's also not too dissimilar to the formation he played in his final season at Bayern.

Classnordic

They would have so much flexibility in formations and tactics, IF they manage to bring in Fabinho (i think he´s coming to united) and a good RB and LB.
Gundogan will soon come back from injury aswell, They will be in top 2 next season imo.

Maxin

I come to your team n I feck things up, I'm Moyes
Why all this buying? They have a great? team and why not build on it

Yagami

Good post resistant
If any of the resident City fans on here watch their youth teams, do you see any players being promoted?

I've only seen the 1 match of Citys U23s which was against us in September and two players stood out to me. One of the CBs (can't remember who) and the number 7 Buckley-Ricketts. Also, Denayer's back now and Garcia (?) who played in the COC derby looked decent.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I did this when Pep was announced, and it didn't happen. I did it when they raced away at the start of the last season, and it didn't happen. Let me do it again right now. I hope they get jinxed again.

I predict City to win the league and challenge in the CL with the super-squad they're investing so much money in. These are all players Pep wants and is getting, they fit into his possession-based, quick-transition, attacking-full-back, movement-central system and they will terrorize teams consistently throughout the season. Bernardo Silva, Jesus, KDB, Sane form a fearsome attacking quartet - full of pace, trickery, movement, first touch and dribbling skills. Fernandinho-Fabinho will be steel in the midfield, winning back possession and helping the transition. Walker and Mendy will be their attacking FBs, and the GK problem seems solved with Ederson.

I have no idea how they get about their transfers so easily and efficiently.