Manchester City 17/18 discussion | "If you're here for the Champions clap your hands" (#6505)

clarkydaz

If any of the resident City fans on here watch their youth teams, do you see any players being promoted?

I've only seen the 1 match of Citys U23s which was against us in September and two players stood out to me. One of the CBs (can't remember who) and the number 7 Buckley-Ricketts. Also, Denayer's back now and Garcia (?) who played in the COC derby looked decent.
pep said last week the academy players will barely be looked at

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Terrible summary not to mention absolutely inaccurate. Many have been looked at but most deemed to have too large a gap to make up to play first team football. Not sure the issue with the academy and youth team football setup in England will evolve too much while he is there to mitigate the lack of preparation for first team football - perhaps loans will be how they attempt to sharpen some of their purported gems

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Terrible summary not to mention absolutely inaccurate. Many have been looked at but most deemed to have too large a gap to make up to play first team football. Not sure the issue with the academy and youth team football setup in England will evolve too much while he is there to mitigate the lack of preparation for first team football - perhaps loans will be how they attempt to sharpen some of their purported gems
Shame same excuses won't be used for others.

England - Large gap between under age football and first team football
Germany - Not enough good young players at Bayern.

So Pep can only promote youngster if he is already good enough for first team football, strange how managers like SAF, Wenger, Poch, Van Gaal never used these excuses.

Djemba-Djemba

We have heard about how great the City Academy is and specifically how much better it is than United's for years and years.

And yet as always it doesn't matter how great their youth setup is because City never take a chance on any of em. So what's the point?

Pep was supposed to be the manager who was going to do it but he's done nothing with the kids.

The only young lad they've had since they won the lottery is Iheanacho and it looks like he's out of favour and about to be sold.

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
If any of the resident City fans on here watch their youth teams, do you see any players being promoted?

I've only seen the 1 match of Citys U23s which was against us in September and two players stood out to me. One of the CBs (can't remember who) and the number 7 Buckley-Ricketts. Also, Denayer's back now and Garcia (?) who played in the COC derby looked decent.
I would say the most promising academy players are at least a season away from the first team. Of the older players I would say Garcia is likely to feature, he was in a lot of the first team squads last season and looks very promising. The other possible promotion is Maffeo, he played first team football last season but was then loaned to Girona. Being a full-back he is exactly what we need for the squad. I hope both get a chance.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Oh, I didn't see that. Thanks.
I would say the most promising academy players are at least a season away from the first team. Of the older players I would say Garcia is likely to feature, he was in a lot of the first team squads last season and looks very promising. The other possible promotion is Maffeo, he played first team football last season but was then loaned to Girona. Being a full-back he is exactly what we need for the squad. I hope both get a chance.
I see, thanks. Is Buckley-Ricketts rated highly or did he just have a good game against us?
Maffeo played in the COC game too, didn't he? If I remember, he played excellently at RB. We had pretty much our strongest XI that game as well. Maybe he'll play a bit this upcoming season due to the lack of FBs right now.

Ban

So youngsters from mega super football school will get a chance if they're good enough.

Interesting....

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The reality is if they start winning, no one will care.

Jacko21

Hard to look at the team Pep is assembling and not be concerned. He's making solid additions to a team that, in flashes the season, have have already looked stellar.

In theory they'll only get better. But Pep can't continue to rely on outscoring the opposition. They have to get their defensive act together.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Pep is proving to be the cheque book manager we all suspected. The silver lining I'm taking is that one or two of their lesser stars will get fed up and come to us ala Sturridge.

Womp

idiot
Pep is proving to be the cheque book manager we all suspected. The silver lining I'm taking is that one or two of their lesser stars will get fed up and come to us ala Sturridge.
This confirms he's nothing special. Simply a great manager, like many others.

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
You can have Fernando and Bravo. But as Klopp isn't a 'cheque book manager' you won't be buying any players this summer?

Varun

Staff
Mendy and Walker as the 2 FBs supporting that attacking cast will be fantastic to watch for everyone bar City's rivals :(

Varun

Staff
Why all this buying? They have a great? team and why not build on it
Because under all the layers of shit that his followers peddle, Pep Guardiola is at heart a manager who doesn't give a feck about youth and needs the best players around to show his "magic".

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
Oh, I didn't see that. Thanks.

I see, thanks. Is Buckley-Ricketts rated highly or did he just have a good game against us?
Maffeo played in the COC game too, didn't he? If I remember, he played excellently at RB. We had pretty much our strongest XI that game as well. Maybe he'll play a bit this upcoming season due to the lack of FBs right now.
I won't pretend to be an expert on academy football but I get the impression that Buckley-Rickets isn't first in the queue for promotion to the first team. I suspect a loan would be imminent and then he either becomes the next Harry Kane or more likely sold to a lower division team. No problem with this, despite some of the bluster in posters above, the academy is about producing footballers, hopefully some will make the first team but many more will be successful elsewhere.

Yes, Maffeo was excellent in that game but then relatively poor against Celtic. I see no reason why he shouldn't be part of the squad though next season. We currently have one full back in Kolarov and he isn't a regular in that position. Fernandinho can cover but I cannot believe City would have released so many players without replacements being lined up. Let see what happens.

City also have a number of decent players out on loan. Roberts and Unal look the best but would face huge competition should they come back.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
You can have Fernando and Bravo. But as Klopp isn't a 'cheque book manager' you won't be buying any players this summer?
Bit of a difference between Klopp and Guardiola's buying though. Guardiola is well on his way to spend 400m in just two seasons.
All that narrative about Guardiola playing academy players and not being a "chequebook manager" like Mourinho has been destroyed to bits. People will see him as a messiah if he trashes some tinpot club 6-0 in the coming season.

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
Bit of a difference between Klopp and Guardiola's buying though. Guardiola is well on his way to spend 400m in just two seasons.
All that narrative about Guardiola playing academy players and not being a "chequebook manager" like Mourinho has been destroyed to bits. People will see him as a messiah if he trashes some tinpot club 6-0 in the coming season.
Klopp would spend the money if it was available.

The 'narrative' you describe was rubbish in the first place, Guardiola wants to win games with the best players available, I don't think it matters where they come from as long as they are good enough and fit his system. The difference between Guardiola and Mourinho is so obviously about style and philosophy, not about playing youth, I don't know why United fans get so precious that Guardiola is regarded as a better manager. United have won two trophies and finished sixth playing tumescent football. City won nothing and finished third playing exciting and progressive football. Swings and roundabouts depending on your perspective?

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
We'll take Aguero on the cheap thanks. And don't try to play clever with the cheque book wording. Pep didn't choose City for its culture or history.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

The 'narrative' you describe was rubbish in the first place, Guardiola wants to win games with the best players available, I don't think it matters where they come from as long as they are good enough and fit his system. The difference between Guardiola and Mourinho is so obviously about style and philosophy, not about playing youth, I don't know why United fans get so precious that Guardiola is regarded as a better manager. United have won two trophies and finished sixth playing tumescent football. City won nothing and finished third playing exciting and progressive football. Swings and roundabouts depending on your perspective?
Yes ofcourse now you can say that because it has been proven as a myth but before he was announced as a manager there was a load of bollocks.

Also tumescent football? Try watching football next time rather than relying on Bluemoon for our matches, we tailed off after March but before that we were drawing with rubbish teams at home whilst absolutely dominating them. Also I don't particularly care about who's regarded as a better manager. The fact is that both the managers whilst spending the same amount of money have gained CL qualification whilst one has won two trophies in addition to that.

Djemba-Djemba

We played tumescent football for about the last month of the season. For most of the season we played nice stuff.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We played tumescent football for about the last month of the season. For most of the season we played nice stuff.
We did, not sure why people are saying we were shit on a stick all season, we weren't stellar but were playing some nice football for a while.

AltiUn

Also, using the hypothetical that Klopp would spend money if he had it is a bit pointless, he doesn't so there would never be any proof. I don't like Klopp at all but to assume he'd be a cheque book manager is a big assumption, from everything we've seen from his career so far he doesn't seem keen on big money purchases, there are a few exceptions. Guardiola has proved he's struggling to improve what City already have hence why he'll end up spending (likely) nearly £400m in two seasons, and could go even further.

M Bison

Supports
York City
If the reported £300m in new players is true City are likely going to be the team to beat.

Already very good up top, with a potentially fit Jesus all season along with silva having signed, they're not going to be short on goals.

Major issue is at the back/GK which Pep looks to be addressing. Kompany's fitness is a game changer. Looked a lot better with him in the side towards the end of the season so do you risk relying on him or bring in reinforcements, probably the latter.

RoyH1

Talk of them doing a monster bid for Mbappe. Makes no sense for a team with Agüero and Jesus in it. Maybe the Sheikh is tired of not being in the front page no matter who they buy?

GrandJury

They're going to walk the league again just like they did this year.

AR87

I don't really rate Mendy tbh. Silva is a quality addition though I'm not sure he adds that much increased value to a side whose weakness wasn't in attack at all.

They need to add a lot more in midfield and defense.

Frank Grimes

I expect City to definitely sign Walker, Mendy, a new keeper( that portuguese chap who's name escapes me). I really hope they don't get Fabinho too.
I don't see Mbappe moving this summer.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
So now they want Mbappe as well. Where would they play him? Pep is just a crazy manager when it comes to spend.

AltiUn

So now they want Mbappe as well. Where would they play him? Pep is just a crazy manager when it comes to spend.
Not sure, can't see them getting Mbappe as well he'd cost well over 100m, Monaco would be insane to sell them 4 players.

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
We'll take Aguero on the cheap thanks. And don't try to play clever with the cheque book wording. Pep didn't choose City for its culture or history.
Klopp will spend as much money as he is able to do so, just like Guardiola. Klopp will promote youth if they are good enough to be part of the squad, just like Guardiola. 'Cheque book manager' is one of those meaningless phrases used on football forums without any thought, well done for bringing it up. I reckon Pep did choose City for its culture. As for a Liverpool fan bringing up history..

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Won't wan't to be a team facing them on their day.
Would be ridiculous if they pull all these signings off.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Not sure, can't see them getting Mbappe as well he'd cost well over 100m, Monaco would be insane to sell them 4 players.
Imagine you're Monaco and get 130 million offer or something like that. What do you do? Say no because you're frustrated that they've already signed half your players? Nah, money rules all.

Mister_Stubbs

Imagine if Jose was trying to get Marcus Rashford out of the club like Pep is with Kelechi Iheanacho the media would be wanting blood.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Klopp will spend as much money as he is able to do so, just like Guardiola. Klopp will promote youth if they are good enough to be part of the squad, just like Guardiola. 'Cheque book manager' is one of those meaningless phrases used on football forums without any thought, well done for bringing it up. I reckon Pep did choose City for its culture. As for a Liverpool fan bringing up history..
This is Trump supporters level of blindness. If Klopp with no fit striker spends £100m on one world class striker then it is excessive but certainly not cheque book.

When you have Aguero AND Jesus but go out to buy another 100m striker then that is pure cheque book.

It's not that difficult to understand.

Oscie

I hope next season Guardiola keeps his involuntary look of utter disbelief and dejection that he manages Manchester City.