Manchester City 17/18 discussion | "If you're here for the Champions clap your hands" (#6505)

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I think this is potentially a difference between people that have grown up in the UK around all the rival fans for their whole lives and foreign fans who maybe haven’t.

I don’t mean any disrespect by that either, if I picked a German team to support I’d have no idea what it’s like for people who have grown up around it when they lose to the rivals. At the end of the day our international appeal is what’s got us where we are today anyway, so I’m certainly not complaining.
No offense taken.

I'm struggling to think of any team I loathe to that extent. Probably Michigan (College Football) as an Ohio State fan... However no victory over them was as sweet as in 2006, when we were the number 1 ranked team in the nation, and they were number 2. The years when they sucked... The life went out of the rivalry. Same with City... The Manchester derbies a decade ago were mostly pointless affairs (shout-out to Stuart Pierce) compared to Liverpool games.

I think it's a different mentality here, where the dream is to meet your rivals on the biggest stage (the Superb Owl, World Series, NBA finals/conference finals, etc) and hammer them. For that to happen they have to be better than everyone else on the field, except for your team. Certainly different from not wanting Liverpool and City to be strong yet subservient to United. It's more of a "hope they get relegated" mentality which I can't relate to. I'll probably be banned if I say what's on my mind concerning Leeds :lol:

Jacko21

If there's one good thing to come out of this, it's that many Manchester City supporters will never truly appreciate the brilliance of what is unfolding before them.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I'll probably be banned if I say what's on my mind concerning Leeds :lol:
I swear to god if you want them to get promoted back into the premier league...:mad:

I mean don’t get me wrong beating them in a Champions League final would be the ultimate in satisfaction, but I think I’d love to put City, Liverpool and Leeds into administration forever :lol:

Son Of Sam

I recognize they are playing great football, but I don’t enjoy watching them at all. I saw about 20-30 minutes of the game, and then I turn off the TV. Can’t stand the sight of Pep Guardiola pumping his fist, or Aguero. Can’t stand how they commit fouls against spurs and the ref waves play on. I can’t stand how Harry Kane gets kicked in the face and no red card is shown to a City player. I could go on, but as you see, there’s no enjoyment for me in watching them play. The only way I would enjoy it is if they were playing American Football against an NFL team and getting physically obliterated every 5 minutes.
This is surely an attempt at trolling.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
"And the Etihad crowd go wild..."

Zen

Etihad is filling up with people just wanting to watch great football.....City fans alone can't fill it up. I'd go, ugh. But not before I get to Dortmund to witness that stadium and fanbase, so hopefully this will be over by the time I eventually get to the Etihad.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I swear to god if you want them to get promoted back into the premier league...:mad:

I mean don’t get me wrong beating them in a Champions League final would be the ultimate in satisfaction, but I think I’d love to put City, Liverpool and Leeds into administration forever :lol:
No comment :D

Number1

They are great IMO, you can't sit back against them and there aren't any clubs in England technically good enough to take the game to them.
I think there's clubs in England who can take the game to them, England have 5 clubs in the last 16 of the Champions League this season, Arsenal are a last 16 Champions League club too in terms of quality.

I actually think Liverpool could be City's kryptonite in terms of style. Liverpool are such a force attacking and defending is arguably City's weakness so that could be interesting, same time though defending is Liverpool's weakness too (might correct it in January) but looking forward to that match up again.

End of the day all this 'all season unbeaten' stuff is all premature, i think City will run away with the league but as for going all season unbeaten, they still have Liverpool/Arsenal/Spurs (who will be a different animal at home) all to play away from home.

Also even though they got the win, Chelsea made them look ordinary a few months ago, i think Chelsea are better side than United in terms of styles vs City for how they counter, so that will be an interesting match-up again.

Although United arn't the weakest of the big 6 clubs in England, i think we are least capable of causing City problems out of the big teams in England, we park the bus big games and don't counter fast enough, City can play against that all day long.

notcool

Supports
a
They are great IMO, you can't sit back against them and there aren't any clubs in England technically good enough to take the game to them.
We sat back and only conceded goals from set-pieces. Jose probably set up the best against them, despite his derided tactics. Arsenal were pretty good too, I thought.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I don't hate them, just find it impossible to respect what they've done.

They were a byword for shambolic mis-management and they won the lottery, first with getting a free stadium and then with a foreign owner swooping down and giving them unlimited money. And I'm sure the Emiratis picked them because of their proximity to United!

That said, growing up in Manchester I've got a lot of mates who are City fans and they are realistic about how they got their success. They don't tend to rub it in - although I'm sure there are other City fans who do - and I don't begrudge them this amazing team.
I was part of a Whatsapp group for going on 2 years now, had to leave recently due to the City and Liverpool (sky blue dippers with their ABU mentality) fans making it nightmare to be a part of.

And I do begrudge them this "amazing team". I begrudge every minute of their success with every bone in my aching body and the fecking heart that pounds it. Now look what they've done, they went and turned me in to a bitter!

I need to get drunk sharpish.

redIndianDevil

£620 million and your previous squad was old? That's not how its supposed to work at all. That pulling money out of your arse and giving away those who you dont want anymore. If everyone had to play by those rules, about 15 teams would go under. I get using wealth to strengthen yourself, but £620 million in 3 years?!

Not like we can complain. We have spent a shitload since Fergie left.
Of course we can't complain, we spent nearly the same and ended up with a worse squad than them.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Surely people are allowed to say they don't enjoy seeing City play?
Of course they are, I was quoting a guy who was quoting a guy who said he doesn't watch us play because we were lucky and were being let away with stuff. While he's perfectly entitled to not enjoy us play, when he flat our cries conspiracy in his post and luck I can call it out.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
It's like you loved stories and were the best storyteller in town. And your neighbor was a skank who tried to imitate you and failed. And then one day, a rich man buys his land, turns it into a library and spends millions on getting the best guides to teach that skank poetry, and suddenly he turns out to be William fecking Wordsworth.

Or something, man. I don't care. I am just furious that the club I hate so much can can keep winning this way playing football I love watching but now can't watch because they're playing it.

I never thought I would hate a club more than Liverpool in the Suarez season, but they look like nothing compared to this lot.

Feck off Guardiola and feck off Mansour.

Eddy_JukeZ

They're very good. Wonder how they'll do when they face Europe's elite. They can be had at as Napoli showed during the 1st half at Naples.

But yeah it's torture watching them play. They're our rivals and play football how I hope United would play following LVG. It sucks.

Hopefully their domination leads to us being more hungry to get back on top.

stubie

They are playing some pleasing stuff on the eye and it hurts to say that as we are the polar opposite.

Only team they have not scored against.......Wolves 2nd team! :lol:

Dominos

Also even though they got the win, Chelsea made them look ordinary a few months ago
They were at Stamford Bridge, and City were the much, much better team.

I think you're misremembering. At that stage of the season I remember all the pundits in the studio before the game picked Chelsea to win, and they were left amazed how easily they were outplayed at their home ground. I think that was the point people realised how good City were.

Jacko21

They're very good. Wonder how they'll do when they face Europe's elite. They can be had at as Napoli showed during the 1st half at Naples.

But yeah it's torture watching them play. They're our rivals and play football how I hope United would play following LVG. It sucks.

Hopefully their domination leads to us being more hungry to get back on top.
I'm not doing it to myself anymore. Too depressing watching and hoping their opponent has something up their sleeve.

Wayne's World

If anyone ever says again that this English Premier League is the best in the world, then it will make me sick. The English media will wank and wank and wank about this City team for the coming weeks/months but even watching them today I can see the first proper team in Europe knocking them straight back to reality.

I must admit, Spurs had the right gameplan and idea of how to beat City and got joy at times with creating opportunities but their delivery and their time in possession was a shambles. This is the same Spurs team who people actually believe will beat Juventus over two legs in the Champions League on a different article on here? Please....

City are winning a pretty much diabolical Premier League, devoid of any tactical nous with idiot Chairman's getting the same manager over and over again (Example - Big Sam, Pardew etc)

The likes of Eibar, Atalanta, Bayern Moenchengladbach etc would give this City team more problems then the likes of Stoke or West Brom but since it's the "Best League in the world" according to Sky, it's nearly illegal to say it with the amount of money being pumped into the league.

JohnnyKills

I was part of a Whatsapp group for going on 2 years now, had to leave recently due to the City and Liverpool (sky blue dippers with their ABU mentality) fans making it nightmare to be a part of.

And I do begrudge them this "amazing team". I begrudge every minute of their success with every bone in my aching body and the fecking heart that pounds it. Now look what they've done, they went and turned me in to a bitter!

I need to get drunk sharpish.
Keep the faith mate. Hopefully the Emiratis will eventually lose interest; as soon as that happens City will come crashing back to earth.

JohnnyKills

It's like you loved stories and were the best storyteller in town. And your neighbor was a skank who tried to imitate you and failed. And then one day, a rich man buys his land, turns it into a library and spends millions on getting the best guides to teach that skank poetry, and suddenly he turns out to be William fecking Wordsworth.

Or something, man. I don't care. I am just furious that the club I hate so much can can keep winning this way playing football I love watching but now can't watch because they're playing it.

I never thought I would hate a club more than Liverpool in the Suarez season, but they look like nothing compared to this lot.

Feck off Guardiola and feck off Mansour.
Liverpool's success with Suarez was genuine; City's is just a fluke lottery win. Don't let it get you down.

JohnnyKills

Wow, incredible...

They're just making a mockery of FFP. It'll be interesting to see how this is looked back on in retrospect.
Everyone's jizzing over City now (partly because they are United's direct rivals and there's still a lot of ABUism about) but if they keep this up everyone will soon start to turn against them.

The people who say City's success is great for the competitiveness of the PL will start saying the state sponsorship is a disgrace, and there'll be calls for rules changes.

No-one wants the PL to turn into the SPL or the Bundesliga.

Wayne's World

Everyone's jizzing over City now (partly because they are United's direct rivals and there's still a lot of ABUism about) but if they keep this up everyone will soon start to turn against them.

The people who say City's success is great for the competitiveness of the PL will start saying the state sponsorship is a disgrace, and there'll be calls for rules changes.

No-one wants the PL to turn into the SPL or the Bundesliga.
Problem is right now, it is and it's the same with PSG? How can you even try to stop it when the higher power won't? We aren't any angels towards it either

redIndianDevil

No we didn't spent like them. Not even close.
If you don't understand that, that is shame
Not again, yes they are owned by a country and have unlimited funds but their ownership is deemed legal by the FA, so can't complain there.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to find out accurately and compare City's and United's transfer expenditure but they are roughly on par.

JohnnyKills

Problem is right now, it is and it's the same with PSG? How can you even try to stop it when the higher power won't? We aren't any angels towards it either
We spend our own money mate. There's a massive difference between City and ourselves.

But yeah we can't stop it when the higher authorities won't.

Ephrem

Not again, yes they are owned by a country and have unlimited funds but their ownership is deemed legal by the FA, so can't complain there.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to find out accurately and compare City's and United's transfer expenditure but they are roughly on par.
Serioulsy...our spending this summer was equal to what City spend for their full backs !!!

Revan

Assumptionman
Wow, incredible...

They're just making a mockery of FFP. It'll be interesting to see how this is looked back on in retrospect.
At the same time, United has spent 547m pounds, poor us.

Blame the way we have spent money compared to them, not the amount of money they have spent.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

No they are not. I don't care from where money comes. If mansour wants to spend 600 mil on messi alone, i am ok with that. Ffp is stupid thing for me. Sugar daddy or adidas. It is the same
But they are spending since 2009 like crazy. We are spending last 4 years. So we are not on par.
They spend 80mil on player to add him to players that they already payed 40,50 mil. We spend 80 mil on player to add him to young, smalling, carrick. Huge difference.

Last edited:

Parry Gallister

They are very good, money spent means feck all to detract from that, even if I'm not keen on where the money is coming from. Ederson is good, his long passing was class this evening.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
At the same time, United has spent 547m pounds, poor us.

Blame the way we have spent money compared to them, not the amount of money they have spent.
Ours is relative to our income though and our income is relative to the stature we’ve earned over the past 50+ years.

It’s a little sad how their oil money doping has been completely normalised these days. Some guy richer than god bought a bunch of great players and hired one of the best managers in the game. “Well done, he’s 13”.