g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Manchester City 17/18 discussion | "If you're here for the Champions clap your hands" (#6505)

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
Not sure what difference any of that drivel has to do with someone's right to call out citeh's oil master's disgusting practice?

A hollow club is a hollow club? Surely?

And given that much of your tiny little stadium is often empty it seems odd to start tub-thumping about being 'superior fans', something you're clearly not, collectively at least.

As you mention the 'gobbiest' of online fans I'm sure you're aware of the pathetic reputation and behaviour online from the bitter's muppets...? You're a fanbase obsessed with United, to the point of parody.

Everything you do is measured by your mighty, larger, far more successful neighbours. Understandable, but pathetic nonetheless.

I'd imagine much of your proposed dick measuring about being the 'best fan' comes down to age - someone who's been following any given team for the longer amount of time will obviously have put more game time and monetary support into their team than someone younger.

As a born and bred Brit, I have a lot of respect for United's incredible international fanbase - people from all over the World getting up at all hours to support the team and give shitloads in merch money to support the club. But obviously they won't clock in anywhere near as many stadium visits as a Stockport based citeh fan - does that make them less of a fan? Not in my mind.

'Plastic Reds' you lot call them on Blue Moon though isn't it? Odd to use the term 'plastic' as a put-down to your rivals when your own club is financed solely by oil...
Oh dear. As piss poor a response as I could’ve imagined. “Citeh Bingo” is alive and well in your house. Touched a raw nerve for sure - just make sure your half and half scarf is washed and ready for the next derby. There’s a good boy. And who the fook classes themselves as a “born and bred Brit”?

JohnnyKills

He's not from Saudi..

And how much money did United make when they floated as a plc in the early 90s?

The complaints about money will go on for evermore, that's you perogative but I doubt there's a single club out there who can honestly claim they've not had investment to give them a leg up. I mean if your stance is that you want to ban ALL investment in football then sure why not, the only source of income then is the fans who are already being fleeced substantially.
You do realise there's a difference between floating on the stock market and being bought by a sugar daddy right?

Shareholders buy into a business to make money in dividends. United paid out millions to their shareholders over the years.

City's owners have put billions into the club and taken nothing out.

If the only source of income was the fans then United would be in exactly the same position as they are now. So yeah I'm sure most of us would be happy with that!

Zoo

Very difficult to see who is going to beat them right now. I think only Liverpool and Spurs at home have a chance.

Home&Away

The only reason United fans are showing respect to a rival is because they are much more of a finished product than us & not because that we are some woosies. It feels idiotic to say no if someone asks if their manager is better or are some of their players better - it's nothing like when it was arsenal invincibles + Henry vs United + RVN when we wouldnt take no for an answer & try to convince everyone that RVN was better than Henry because ultimately we were always toe to toe with them compared to how we are now; we could get away with being dillusional.

City currently play one formation & their best players in their best positions & that's pretty much it. Whether they play Us, Barcelona, Or West Brom they will attempt to play the same way & they are becoming masters at their own game. On the contrary we hardly have a proper game plan of our own; in fact we respect the opposition way too much by adapting our tactics to try and counter them - we are currently a club that have too much respect for the oppnents & hardly any control during a match.

This is radiating to the fans - I personally didn't say anything too big about city until they beat us - simply because we respected them on the pitch & it felt stupid not to respect them off it.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Oh dear. As piss poor a response as I could’ve imagined. “Citeh Bingo” is alive and well in your house. Touched a raw nerve for sure - just make sure your half and half scarf is washed and ready for the next derby. There’s a good boy. And who the fook classes themselves as a “born and bred Brit”?
You can't argue with the points put forward because they're objective, so you resort to non-sensical, totally non-applicable bitterness.

You're the plaything of an archaic, disgusting oil dynasty, that's just the way it is. Enjoy it, but don't hate on the footy fan who will call it as it is.

Genuine question - Do you think your financial status is actually earned as ours is? Do you actually not see what you are as a club?

JohnnyKills

Actually, what is really odd is seeing people who don’t know what the inside of a football ground looks like piggy-backing onto an established club and claiming that the way they earned their success is genuine, without putting any hard yards in themselves - the ultimate example of “basking in reflected glory”

Perhaps it would be better to gauge “earning the right” by not polling the clubs themselves but polling the fans instead. After all, I have fook all say in who owns or runs City but when it comes to matches attended, I’m pretty sure I - along with my United supporting mate Duncan Ed - trump at least 99% of the members of this forum. In other words, if one is going to skrike about a club not deserving of having success, don’t put it on the fans that do put the effort in because those that don’t are the very definition of plastic (that doesn’t include those that used to go but don’t now for various understandable reasons).

Now it could be that you’ve attended more football matches in your lifetime than I have and if you have, then fair play, but I tend to find that the gobbiest fans online regarding this topic struggle to find their club of choice without the aid of a Sat Nav.
Fair post.

I've nothing against City fans enjoying this success. Used to go to Maine Road with my dad in the mid-90s when City were terrible and they always filled the ground. At least they've been rewarded for their loyalty.

Hope the atmosphere is better now than it was then though, remember Richard edgehill and Nick Sumerbee getting crucified every week!

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
You can't argue with the points put forward because they're objective, so you resort to non-sensical, totally non-applicable bitterness.

You're the plaything of an archaic, disgusting oil dynasty, that's just the way it is. Enjoy it, but don't hate on the footy fan who will call it as it is.

Genuine question - Do you think your financial status is actually earned as ours is? Do you actually not see what you are as a club?
Errr, ok mate.

montpelier

They look pretty good to me, must be making 3 x the number of chances of anyone else, apart from Liverpool when LFC are 'at it' 7 the opposition is rubbish.

But... this is a 6-14 split League & further than that 10 of the League can't score more than 1 goal a game (average) - that's hardly a threat to a team scoring 3 goals a match is it? The other 5 could improve too, none of them are convincing all over. We know Utd aren't short of weaknesses but we might be a good 2nd if we could keep Pogba available. I am saying the league is weak, that's exactly what I'm saying. CL Qualification is also a bit easier than it was.

I don't see resentment at their money as esp valid, we had that advantage for years, looks a bit like sour grapes to me. But it's what they whined about for years too, so maybe they deserve some back, :D.

They should slow down a little bit but not enough to be panicked where the Title is concerned. And I don't see anyone else winning 12 in a row anytime soon - and that's just re-establish contact at 3-4 points behind.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Fair post.

I've nothing against City fans enjoying this success. Used to go to Maine Road with my dad in the mid-90s when City were terrible and they always filled the ground. At least they've been rewarded for their loyalty.

Hope the atmosphere is better now than it was then though, remember Richard edgehill and Nick Sumerbee getting crucified every week!
Oh hardly. I’ve been to quite a few games at Main Road, can’t recall ever seeing it full mind. I’m not saying City as a club or their fans don’t deserve success mind, I think that’s a load of bollocks argument.

redIndianDevil

You can argue that Chelsea have a better squad but, I wouldn't. But, no way Spurs have a better squad than us. Outside of Kane, Eriksen, Vertonghen and Alderwield their squad is not that impressive. Unless you really rate guys like Winks, Son, Sanchez, Davies, Aurier, Trippier, Dembele, Dier and Wanyawa
Danny Rose and Ben Davies have played much better than our LBs so far this season. We most probably will end up buying Rose next season.
Trippier and Aurier - They are on par with Valencia but we are fecked for RB if Valencia gets injured.
Wanyama, Dembele and Dier - excellent players and on par with Matic, we even tried to buy Dier before closing down Matic.
Son, Alli - both scored 20+ goals last season I think.
So yes Spurs do have a better balanced squad than us.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Because we're Manchester United fans.

Do you think Roy Keane sat and watched Arsenal's invincible season and thought "Wow I really appreciate their football"? No, he would've been fuming. Our players AND FANBASE should be the same. We should as a team and as fans be fuming and translate this energy to determination to change things no matter how improbable the odds may be.

Our mentality as a fanbase (in the case of fans such as yourself) needs to improve. I only shudder to think what the likes of Sir Alex and Roy Keane would say if they heard the attitude of United fans such as yourself.
I think what people fail to understand is that Roy Keane should really be managing this club.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
Fair post.

Believe me, I’m miles less bitter now than I was back then. Maybe it’s an age thing but I’m just happy to see City challenging and if United are up there as the nearest challengers so be it. Weirdly, I found it harder coping with competing with Liverpool for the title in 2014 than competing with United in 2012!

Those 2 used to get some frightful stick and I used to rail against it as it was embarrassing the amount of shit they got.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
Not gonna answer the question then? Can't put any kind of spin on it so just pretend you didn't hear it.
Look, I don’t own the club and I don’t run it either. Nor do I choose who does. How difficult is that to understand Einstein?

Let’s look at something more relevant instead. How many football matches have you attended in your lifetime? How much time and money have you put into following your club? Come on - let’s see your credentials Mr Keyboard Warrior

Last edited:

Edinburgh

Supports
Man City
We didn't out spend everyone mate. Throughout the 90s our average next spend was something like 5m a year and we were regularly outbid for major targets. Cantona complained about the under-spending ffs!

And yeah United have been spending fortunes since 2014 but City have been doing it for a decade. They were buying Silva, Toure and Agüero while we were still scouring for bargains. Yes we've wasted a fortune but that's inevitable when you're playing catch-up like we are.
Why is inevitable to waste a fortune catching up?
You do realise there's a difference between floating on the stock market and being bought by a sugar daddy right?

Shareholders buy into a business to make money in dividends. United paid out millions to their shareholders over the years.

City's owners have put billions into the club and taken nothing out.

If the only source of income was the fans then United would be in exactly the same position as they are now. So yeah I'm sure most of us would be happy with that!
city hit a lottery known as the Abu Dhabi lottery. But United hit a similar lottery 25 or so years ago - started with Sky and followed immediately by the internet. The money pumped into football changed astronomically just when Utd went through a good phase so they hoovered up a lot of it. Football has changed completely as a result of the world becoming so much smaller. Just have to accept it's different and that's why you are now as likely to be next to a tourist on Derby day as a local. (Which by the way is shit - but the way of the world)

JohnnyKills

Believe me, I’m miles less bitter now than I was back then. Maybe it’s an age thing but I’m just happy to see City challenging and if United are up there as the nearest challengers so be it. Weirdly, I found it harder coping with competing with Liverpool for the title in 2014 than competing with United in 2012!

Those 2 used to get some frightful stick and I used to rail against it as it was embarrassing the amount of shit they got.
Yeah was horrible. I asked my dad to stop taking me as it was too depressing. Hope the boo brigade have found some peace now!

Dobbs

You know how good City are when Sterling is scoring lots of goals. He can't finish his tea and still gets plenty of goals.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I've seen a RAWK Meltdown, Salah, Klopp, Scholes vs Lampard vs Gerrard threads in the past day or so - so that's four Liverpool related threads, who aren't exactly playing at this level. So what exactly is your point?

Of course United will discuss their main rivals more than other teams generally.
It's too many is my point.

Nickosaur

I can't stand these smug cnuts.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I will 100% be behind Liverpool when they play City. Sooner they get a defeat the better.

Blue doomer

Supports
Manchester City
I think there's clubs in England who can take the game to them, England have 5 clubs in the last 16 of the Champions League this season, Arsenal are a last 16 Champions League club too in terms of quality.

I actually think Liverpool could be City's kryptonite in terms of style. Liverpool are such a force attacking and defending is arguably City's weakness so that could be interesting, same time though defending is Liverpool's weakness too (might correct it in January) but looking forward to that match up again.
Is that the same liverpool who have just failed at home to score against West Brom. Don't believe the press propaganda abt their fab 4 upfront. They arnt that special.

Blue doomer

Supports
Manchester City
Yeah, having a better commercial department and having been at the right position when the money reached the league which allowed us for more than a decade to win the league by virtue of being able to comfortably outspend anyone gives us the morale ground. While Chelsea and City doing the only possible thing which allows breaking the status quo makes their wins pointless. Keep saying that to yourself until you believe it.

Fact is, since Fergie left (when we won the league comfortably) we have spent on average only 18m pounds per year less than City, but their squad is significantly better than ours, and not only wins with ease, but their players don't shit their pants anytime they have to play a semi-decent team, and don't need to use 19th century tactics. And this is because how the money was spent on both clubs, the difference between Pep and Mourinho, not because the amount of money spent. Because we have spent near as much as them, while people here cry, giving you the impression that City are in a totally different level when it comes to money spent, which is simply untrue. In fact, if you add the wages, then there is barely any difference at all.
At least your honest mate. A great post too.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I do think that the forum would benefit if all City discussion was limited to this thread. Including topics about specific players.
It's better to have 1 or 2 megathreads about City than 450 threads about 'City and the end of Football', 'City and the Beautiful Game', 'City and a record', 'City and..."

Just my opinion :)

Blue doomer

Supports
Manchester City

Without City and Chelsea hitting the jackpot you'd practically win everything every year. Which is what you want. As all Utd fans would, fair enough i guess too. The landscape has changed though and its no good keep whinging about it.

sk6blue

Supports
Manchester City
Jesse Lingard likes this post...
This, won't let me post the link but they're singing feck off City after winning the Europa League final. It's interesting some of the criticisms aimed at City seem to be for stuff other clubs do as well..

Blue doomer

Supports
Manchester City
Can someone explain what a born and bred brit actually means. Its the strangest thing ive possibly ever read on a football forum.