Manchester City 17/18 discussion | "If you're here for the Champions clap your hands" (#6505)

Ephrem

If anyone ever says again that this English Premier League is the best in the world, then it will make me sick. The English media will wank and wank and wank about this City team for the coming weeks/months but even watching them today I can see the first proper team in Europe knocking them straight back to reality.

I must admit, Spurs had the right gameplan and idea of how to beat City and got joy at times with creating opportunities but their delivery and their time in possession was a shambles. This is the same Spurs team who people actually believe will beat Juventus over two legs in the Champions League on a different article on here? Please....

City are winning a pretty much diabolical Premier League, devoid of any tactical nous with idiot Chairman's getting the same manager over and over again (Example - Big Sam, Pardew etc)

The likes of Eibar, Atalanta, Bayern Moenchengladbach etc would give this City team more problems then the likes of Stoke or West Brom but since it's the "Best League in the world" according to Sky, it's nearly illegal to say it with the amount of money being pumped into the league.
Dude I am a Red but this City team can go toe to toe with any team.One their day they can crush anyone.

If Spurs can top a group with Madrid in it they have a chance to beat Juventus for sure.

JohnnyKills

Ours is relative to our income though and our income is relative to the stature we’ve earned over the past 50+ years.

It’s a little sad how their oil money doping has been completely normalised these days. Some guy richer than god bought a bunch of great players and hired one of the best managers in the game. “Well done, he’s 13”.
100%

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
It’s a little sad how their oil money doping has been completely normalised these days.
That is the most annoying thing, how it all has become white washed. When the original plastic club came about in Chelsea, everyone was quick to point it out at every opportunity.

PSG and City has taken it to new levels though, and it is hardly mentioned or taken into consideration when pundits, fans and media jizz themselves over them.

Number1

If anyone ever says again that this English Premier League is the best in the world, then it will make me sick. The English media will wank and wank and wank about this City team for the coming weeks/months but even watching them today I can see the first proper team in Europe knocking them straight back to reality.

I must admit, Spurs had the right gameplan and idea of how to beat City and got joy at times with creating opportunities but their delivery and their time in possession was a shambles. This is the same Spurs team who people actually believe will beat Juventus over two legs in the Champions League on a different article on here? Please....

City are winning a pretty much diabolical Premier League, devoid of any tactical nous with idiot Chairman's getting the same manager over and over again (Example - Big Sam, Pardew etc)

The likes of Eibar, Atalanta, Bayern Moenchengladbach etc would give this City team more problems then the likes of Stoke or West Brom but since it's the "Best League in the world" according to Sky, it's nearly illegal to say it with the amount of money being pumped into the league.
Wow you can sense the English hatred in you.

The Premier League have 5 teams in the last 16 of the Champions League this season, City have just made 2 of those look ordinary in the last 6 days. 1 of whom is the Europa League champions and currently 2nd in the league and the other who possess probably the most lethal striker in the world football (Harry Kane) and a club who topped their Champions League group featuring Real Madrid and Dortmund - 2 European giants, 1 of which is current back 2 back European Champions.

Last edited:

notcool

Supports
a
Dele Alli annoyed De Bruyne with that challenge. Guardiola was right to call him a humble player. Bit like Messi, do NOT make him feel aggrieved.

ash_86

If Lukaku had missed the chance Sterling missed today, he'd be crucified if not already. Why no one's talking about Man city's missed chances? Because they just keep creating them again and again. That's what we need to be aiming at.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Problem is right now, it is and it's the same with PSG? How can you even try to stop it when the higher power won't? We aren't any angels towards it either
I find this really, really odd from supposed United fans because it's bordering on insane as a comment to make unless someone's a delusional ABU.

Every United fan (and everyone in general) knows full well that this money is our own. It's money earned by success. It's reinvestment.

What the bitters are doing is literally the opposite of that - they are and English PL club, hollowed out and then bank-rolled by a saudi sheik's royal oil money... I mean, that's insane.

Hearing people say that the above is 'good for English football' is such a weird, laughably incorrect stance to take.

Wayne's World

Dude I am a Red but this City team can go toe to toe with any team.One their day they can crush anyone.

If Spurs can top a group with Madrid in it they have a chance to beat Juventus for sure.
They have went toe-to-toe with the best (pretty poor to be honest) what the Premier League has to offer. The likes of PSG, Barcelona, Real Madrid won't give the same time and space to City that the likes of what they get in the Premier League. Are City that much better then what they were when they played Monaco last season? I honestly don't think so.

And Real Madrid and Juventus in November is a different animal in the business end of the year. Spurs haven't a absolute notion of troubling Juventus over two legs. Keep an eye on Kane and you have pretty much won it already

redIndianDevil

No they are not. I don't care from where money comes. If mansour wants to spend 600 mil on messi alone, i am ok with that. Ffp is stupid thing for me. Sugar daddy or adidas. It is the same
But they are spending since 2009 like crazy. We are spending last 4 years. So we are not on par.
They spend 80mil on player to add him to players that they already payed 40,50 mil. We spend 80 mil on player to add him to young, smalling, carrick. Huge difference.
Yes they have been spending crazily since 2009. In the tweet someone posted above in this thread, at some point they had to replace almost the entire team and at that point we also needed to replace our entire team and since that point both of us have spent nearly the same and yet we have ended up with a poor squad.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
They have went toe-to-toe with the best (pretty poor to be honest) what the Premier League has to offer. The likes of PSG, Barcelona, Real Madrid won't give the same time and space to City that the likes of what they get in the Premier League. Are City that much better then what they were when they played Monaco last season? I honestly don't think so.

And Real Madrid and Juventus in November is a different animal in the business end of the year. Spurs haven't a absolute notion of troubling Juventus over two legs. Keep an eye on Kane and you have pretty much won it already
Yes they are.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Yes they have been spending crazily since 2009. In the tweet someone posted above in this thread, at some point they had to replace almost the entire team and at that point we also needed to replace our entire team and since that point both of us have spent nearly the same and yet we have ended up with a poor squad.
Not true that. First of all we didn't end up with poor squad. We are second and every other season we would be first.
And they didn't replace whole squad. They had core in kompany, silva, aguero, fernandinho. We had de gea.
Only thing that i agree with you is that yes, we could spend better. Especially under lvg.That is on us.

Ephrem

Have you been watching them closely enough ? They are missing Mendy but with Delph they are crushing sides. The amount of movement they have on the pitch is second to none and in that sense they are the best in world right now. And with De Bryune playing like it wont be easy for any team. I dont think any European team will be happy to draw against City in the UCL and that includes Barca and Bayern. You have to be tactically spot on when playing against City , and I still believe Jose was tactically spot on but somehow we gifted them two goals.

Coming to spurs...Did you thought Spurs will progress as group winners ? And that too by defeating the mighty Madrid. Dont underestimate them...they produce results when you least expect them... Juventus Vs Spurs will be a 50-50 game. Stopping Dyabala will be the key though. Frankly I am expecting all EPL sides to progress in the UCL ( one of Spurs/Chelsea might get kicked out though) but to say Spurs cannot trouble Juventus is silly. Juventus is not exactly great this season to be fair.

redIndianDevil

Not true that. First of all we didn't end up with poor squad. We are second and every other season we would be first.
And they didn't replace whole squad. They had core in kompany, silva, aguero, fernandinho. We had de gea.
Only thing that i agree with you is that yes, we could spend better. Especially under lvg.That is on us.
The only reality is that we are second, we have no decent fullbacks, no real wingers, no decent number 10 and no backup for Pogba. This to me is the definition of a poor squad.

Revan

Assumptionman
Ours is relative to our income though and our income is relative to the stature we’ve earned over the past 50+ years.

It’s a little sad how their oil money doping has been completely normalised these days. Some guy richer than god bought a bunch of great players and hired one of the best managers in the game. “Well done, he’s 13”.
Yeah, having a better commercial department and having been at the right position when the money reached the league which allowed us for more than a decade to win the league by virtue of being able to comfortably outspend anyone gives us the morale ground. While Chelsea and City doing the only possible thing which allows breaking the status quo makes their wins pointless. Keep saying that to yourself until you believe it.

Fact is, since Fergie left (when we won the league comfortably) we have spent on average only 18m pounds per year less than City, but their squad is significantly better than ours, and not only wins with ease, but their players don't shit their pants anytime they have to play a semi-decent team, and don't need to use 19th century tactics. And this is because how the money was spent on both clubs, the difference between Pep and Mourinho, not because the amount of money spent. Because we have spent near as much as them, while people here cry, giving you the impression that City are in a totally different level when it comes to money spent, which is simply untrue. In fact, if you add the wages, then there is barely any difference at all.

redIndianDevil

We still have the second best squad in the league so not a "poor squad".
No you are confusing our league position with our squad. Personally I think Chelsea, Tottenham and City obviously have a far better squad than us.

Edit: when I say poor squad I meant in comparison with the likes who spend just as much as us. We obviously have a better squad than the likes of Burnley, Newcastle etc

Revan

Assumptionman
Have you been watching them closely enough ? They are missing Mendy but with Delph they are crushing sides. The amount of movement they have on the pitch is second to none and in that sense they are the best in world right now. And with De Bryune playing like it wont be easy for any team. I dont think any European team will be happy to draw against City in the UCL and that includes Barca and Bayern. You have to be tactically spot on when playing against City , and I still believe Jose was tactically spot on but somehow we gifted them two goals.

Coming to spurs...Did you thought Spurs will progress as group winners ? And that too by defeating the mighty Madrid. Dont underestimate them...they produce results when you least expect them... Juventus Vs Spurs will be a 50-50 game. Stopping Dyabala will be the key though. Frankly I am expecting all EPL sides to progress in the UCL ( one of Spurs/Chelsea might get kicked out though) but to say Spurs cannot trouble Juventus is silly. Juventus is not exactly great this season to be fair.
Juve have the ability to raise their game when it comes to knock-out matches of UCL. Spurs don't have a history on UCL.

Obviously, Spurs are a good team and can defeat Juve, but I think that Juve is a favorite on this. I would give them at least 70% chance on qualifying for the quarters.

Spurs were impressive against an off-form Real Madrid, but does anyone believe that the same would have happened if those matches were in knockout stage?!

sk6blue

Supports
Manchester City
Liverpool's success with Suarez was genuine; City's is just a fluke lottery win. Don't let it get you down.
I find this really, really odd from supposed United fans because it's bordering on insane as a comment to make unless someone's a delusional ABU.

Every United fan (and everyone in general) knows full well that this money is our own. It's money earned by success. It's reinvestment.

What the bitters are doing is literally the opposite of that - they are and English PL club, hollowed out and then bank-rolled by a saudi sheik's royal oil money... I mean, that's insane.

Hearing people say that the above is 'good for English football' is such a weird, laughably incorrect stance to take.
He's not from Saudi..

And how much money did United make when they floated as a plc in the early 90s?

The complaints about money will go on for evermore, that's you perogative but I doubt there's a single club out there who can honestly claim they've not had investment to give them a leg up. I mean if your stance is that you want to ban ALL investment in football then sure why not, the only source of income then is the fans who are already being fleeced substantially.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
No you are confusing our league position with our squad. Personally I think Chelsea, Tottenham and City obviously have a far better squad than us.
You can argue that Chelsea have a better squad but, I wouldn't. But, no way Spurs have a better squad than us. Outside of Kane, Eriksen, Vertonghen and Alderwield their squad is not that impressive. Unless you really rate guys like Winks, Son, Sanchez, Davies, Aurier, Trippier, Dembele, Dier and Wanyawa

Treble

Think the Invincibles had better players. Only 2-3 City players would be firm starters for them and this could be a stretch. Yet the league back then was less compettve, imo, and the Invincibles had a GD of plus 47 after 38 games. City have now a GD of plus 44 after just 18 games. The GD of the treble side was plus 43 at the end of the season. Mind-boggling.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Think the Invincibles had better players. Only 2-3 City players would be firm starters for them and this could be a stretch. Yet the league back then was less compettve, imo, and the Invincibles had a GD of plus 47 after 38 games. City have now a GD of plus 44 after just 18 games. The GD of the treble side was plus 43 at the end of the season. Mind-boggling.
It helps that Guardiola is twice the manager Wenger is ;)

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
You can argue that Chelsea have a better squad but, I wouldn't. But, no way Spurs have a better squad than us. Outside of Kane, Eriksen, Vertonghen and Alderwield their squad is not that impressive. Unless you really rate guys like Winks, Son, Sanchez, Davies, Aurier, Trippier, Dembele, Dier and Wanyawa
Who exactly in our squad is impressive though?

3-4 players max really.

JohnnyKills

Completely agree. When other fans come out with the 'united and city are the same' line, it's probably just ABUism. But our own fans? Jesus wept.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Who exactly in our squad is impressive though?

3-4 players max really.
But, I definitely think Matic and Herrera are better than Dier, Dembele, Wanyawa and Winks. I would take Valencia over Aurier or Trippier. I think Martial and Rashford are better than Son or Lamela. I would even take Young and Shaw over Rose and Davies.

JohnnyKills

Yeah, having a better commercial department and having been at the right position when the money reached the league which allowed us for more than a decade to win the league by virtue of being able to comfortably outspend anyone gives us the morale ground. While Chelsea and City doing the only possible thing which allows breaking the status quo makes their wins pointless. Keep saying that to yourself until you believe it.

Fact is, since Fergie left (when we won the league comfortably) we have spent on average only 18m pounds per year less than City, but their squad is significantly better than ours, and not only wins with ease, but their players don't shit their pants anytime they have to play a semi-decent team, and don't need to use 19th century tactics. And this is because how the money was spent on both clubs, the difference between Pep and Mourinho, not because the amount of money spent. Because we have spent near as much as them, while people here cry, giving you the impression that City are in a totally different level when it comes to money spent, which is simply untrue. In fact, if you add the wages, then there is barely any difference at all.
We didn't out spend everyone mate. Throughout the 90s our average next spend was something like 5m a year and we were regularly outbid for major targets. Cantona complained about the under-spending ffs!

And yeah United have been spending fortunes since 2014 but City have been doing it for a decade. They were buying Silva, Toure and Agüero while we were still scouring for bargains. Yes we've wasted a fortune but that's inevitable when you're playing catch-up like we are.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Well if you look at the players we had the last we won the title spurs have a brilliant squad.

Sometimes it's about the management

AshRK

Because we're Manchester United fans.

Do you think Roy Keane sat and watched Arsenal's invincible season and thought "Wow I really appreciate their football"? No, he would've been fuming. Our players AND FANBASE should be the same. We should as a team and as fans be fuming and translate this energy to determination to change things no matter how improbable the odds may be.

Our mentality as a fanbase (in the case of fans such as yourself) needs to improve. I only shudder to think what the likes of Sir Alex and Roy Keane would say if they heard the attitude of United fans such as yourself.
this is a very good post which unfortunately will go unnoticed and unappreciated. Our fans like our club since sir Alex have gone soft. I bet the attitude some are having now , if was the same in mid 2000s many would have jizzed at errand scoring the equaliser against a Milan and proclaimed him as the greatest midfielder and questioned Scholes considering we were not winning much from 2003 to 06. Fans would have said our cl was a fluke as if not for terry we would have lost.

I can imagine even if we win the title next year some will say city were better and Jose was lucky.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City

Actually, what is really odd is seeing people who don’t know what the inside of a football ground looks like piggy-backing onto an established club and claiming that the way they earned their success is genuine, without putting any hard yards in themselves - the ultimate example of “basking in reflected glory”

Perhaps it would be better to gauge “earning the right” by not polling the clubs themselves but polling the fans instead. After all, I have fook all say in who owns or runs City but when it comes to matches attended, I’m pretty sure I - along with my United supporting mate Duncan Ed - trump at least 99% of the members of this forum. In other words, if one is going to skrike about a club not deserving of having success, don’t put it on the fans that do put the effort in because those that don’t are the very definition of plastic (that doesn’t include those that used to go but don’t now for various understandable reasons).

Now it could be that you’ve attended more football matches in your lifetime than I have and if you have, then fair play, but I tend to find that the gobbiest fans online regarding this topic struggle to find their club of choice without the aid of a Sat Nav.

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I don't understand how you can be a football fan and not appreciate such quality football.
Because it sounds pathetic. And weak. Respect your enemy but don't admire him.
City fans must enjoy reading this thread. And laughing. I would.

DaRussianRed

Supports
Mourinho
Even though City spent an obscene amount of money over a good part of the decade, we can't pretend that we don't have the ability to compete with that. Nobody is ignoring the issue, it's just that it's getting rather childish to complain about sugar daddy investors in this day and age. Should we put in regulations that increase barriers of entry to the point that clubs that built dynasties years ago have a clear advantage? How about Americanized salary caps? Or maybe just no oil money, and only Russian oligarchs...

We are an elite club that competes in a globalized market. So yes, the world is an unfair place.

Coming back to the football, I think that City has shown great vision. Money is a tool and the management has used it well. As a conspiracy nut I even think that City showed their interest in Pep early on just to try and make sure that we didn't get him. City spent a lot of money and bought 2 great squads in just under 10 years. We have been spending at a rate that's almost equal to that for about 4 years and are yet to build one.

I think we will get there eventually, Mou will bring the league home during City's hangover next season. The 2 seasons after that though is what will really illuminate our long term strategy or the lack of it.

Reactions: Raoul

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I don't see any problem with acknowledging how well City are playing - that is simply a fact.

Similarly, any discussion of said performances has to be caveated with a giant asterix saying: "outspent absolutely every other team by a significant distance, so should be good, just maybe not this good".

And any chat of the 'best ever' is absolute dogsh*t until the end of the season. It's December. Calm down, enjoy it and don't rank it. The world isn't buzzfeed.

AshRK

Of course they are, I was quoting a guy who was quoting a guy who said he doesn't watch us play because we were lucky and were being let away with stuff. While he's perfectly entitled to not enjoy us play, when he flat our cries conspiracy in his post and luck I can call it out.
Now you must realise right how irritating it must also sound to an united fan when city fans keep on saying FA supports united and sir Alex bribed refs bla bla. Ironic right

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
It’s ironic how things have changed in the past 15years...
You can’t deny to be impressed with the way Man City are playing. City have also spent a ridiculous amount of money the past 2 years. Only PSG can match City’s financial clout. However, there is no way City or PSG could afford that amount of expenditure on their commercial value alone. Obviously, as a United fan I realise I’m not in a position to make an objective assessment of City. But I can’t help feeling that the strength of Man City and PSG is basically down to financial doping. I don’t have that feeling with other clubs like Arsenal or Liverpool. It’s all become very artificial.