Manchester City 17/18 discussion | "If you're here for the Champions clap your hands" (#6505)

Water Melon

How does a Guardiola team look more tenacious than a Mourinho team? I mean they always played the better football but this City side seams to even have more grit than our team by far.

Mou can complain about them falling over a lot but at least they fecking fight for every god damn ball on the pitch.
They keep the ball and have to spend less energy both physically and mentally while defending. Thus, they are able to switch to top gear when wish, as they have more gas left in the tank. They move the ball faster too, not just run faster.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
This, won't let me post the link but they're singing feck off City after winning the Europa League final. It's interesting some of the criticisms aimed at City seem to be for stuff other clubs do as well..
Er, well when you become as big as Man Utd maybe we will stop singing it. How long do you think before you catch up?

marktan

They are better than us and frankly at almost the half way stage they've almost already wrapped the league up, and will be deserving winners when they do eventually win it (barring a massive but unlikely collapse).

However people need to compare the differences in Squads that Mourinho and Pep inherited - Pep had players like Sterling, Aguero, Silva, De Bruyne at his disposal - that's a world class attack and that's what separates us from City. Pep's done well by shoring up the defence, but it's not the hardest thing to do since defenders are cheaper and you can get the best for £50m a pop. Mourinho on the other hand has had to fix a midfield that's been dying ever since our great 2008 team, and he's done well thus far with Pogba and Matic. Our attack is also severely lacking options - Lukaku is a good start but all our other options are either potential (Martial/Rashford) or average (Mikhi/Mata/Lingard). Keeping players like Welbeck, Nani etc around might have helped us by having some experience/other options around, but they were sold. The thing with Mourinho is that in every club he's been at he's been good at in the transfer market, I'm sure he knows we need options in the wide positions, so hopefully he addresses it in Jan/Summer.

Once we get those attacking options in we can go to toe to toe with City, but right now they've had a big head start with the attacking options they already had before Pep arrived. If we even had half of the 4 City players mentioned earlier we'd be nearer to being equal to them. Hopefully in 2018 we get 2 top wide players and a top midfielder and then we can really challenge and won't be hampened creatively when someone like Pogba or Matic are injured/banned. Mourinho obviously wanted Perisic so he's aware we need wide options, but hopefully the gulf in class between us and City sees him really making it a priority to get some top attacking options in. Price wise we might also see less competition, teams like City, PSG, Liverpool are all pretty stacked with attacking talent so we could get some good deals.

Siorac

Er, well when you become as big as Man Utd maybe we will stop singing it. How long do you think before you catch up?
This is very much like 'Au revoir, come back when you won 18' territory. And that ended up biting Liverpool fans in the arse rather hard.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Discussing their money is irrelevant to me and a cop out.
We need to win and the discussion should be how we can be better than them.
Some of our tactics put us at a natural disadvantage.

Adisa

They are better than us and frankly at almost the half way stage they've almost already wrapped the league up, and will be deserving winners when they do eventually win it (barring a massive but unlikely collapse).

However people need to compare the differences in Squads that Mourinho and Pep inherited - Pep had players like Sterling, Aguero, Silva, De Bruyne at his disposal - that's a world class attack and that's what separates us from City. Pep's done well by shoring up the defence, but it's not the hardest thing to do since defenders are cheaper and you can get the best for £50m a pop. Mourinho on the other hand has had to fix a midfield that's been dying ever since our great 2008 team, and he's done well thus far with Pogba and Matic. Our attack is also severely lacking options - Lukaku is a good start but all our other options are either potential (Martial/Rashford) or average (Mikhi/Mata/Lingard). Keeping players like Welbeck, Nani etc around might have helped us by having some experience/other options around, but they were sold. The thing with Mourinho is that in every club he's been at he's been good at in the transfer market, I'm sure he knows we need options in the wide positions, so hopefully he addresses it in Jan/Summer.

Once we get those attacking options in we can go to toe to toe with City, but right now they've had a big head start with the attacking options they already had before Pep arrived. If we even had half of the 4 City players mentioned earlier we'd be nearer to being equal to them. Hopefully in 2018 we get 2 top wide players and a top midfielder and then we can really challenge and won't be hampened creatively when someone like Pogba or Matic are injured/banned. Mourinho obviously wanted Perisic so he's aware we need wide options, but hopefully the gulf in class between us and City sees him really making it a priority to get some top attacking options in. Price wise we might also see less competition, teams like City, PSG, Liverpool are all pretty stacked with attacking talent so we could get some good deals.
You mention Sterling but he was a running joke on this forum before Pep came.
KDB is also a far better player, Sane too.
Jose hasn't done the same.

Hamadovich86

Credit should be given when its due and City's run is one of the most incredible ones in the history of football. To do that in the Premier League, long touted as the most competitive league in the world where any team can beat any team on any given day its simple mind boggling. If we were the ones on this run you would see threads on this forum contemplating whether or not we have the greatest PL team of all time.

Treble

Credit should be given when its due and City's run is one of the most incredible ones in the history of football. To do that in the Premier League, long touted as the most competitive league in the world where any team can beat any team on any given day its simple mind boggling. If we were the ones on this run you would see threads on this forum contemplating whether or not we have the greatest PL team of all time.
Forget this City team. Several years ago, if anyone on here had suggested that Barca 09-11 could win 16 consecutive wins in the PL, he would have been laughed out of the forum for lacking understanding of the competitive nature of the PL.

Litch

It's strange cause when I look back at the Jose's first Chelsea team and also the Henry era in that Arsenal team, they had world class throughout the team and were outstanding. I don't feel the same about the City team but fair play to them, they have a style of play that as exposed the limitations of what is a league high on excitement and poor on quality. That city defence will be exposed in Europe against the better teams. Let's be honest the Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal teams even combined, are seriously lacking quality. Without sounding too knee jerk, if you saw some of them in an Everton or Southampton shirt, would you really say they are too good for them?

TheeAma

Supports
Chelsea
Why i hate City and can never accept them. They had nothing before the money, Chelsea were winning a few pots here and there before the money but we were on verge of challenging for top 4 without the money when we got the money we were killed for it now that City has the money no one in the media opens their mouths about it, no one say they buy the league and if you say it your just being bitter.

While Man Utd spent loads, they generate enough money to spend that much money City on the other hand they generate nothing and all they have is their owner paying off a few companies to pump them up with so called sponsorship deals which everyone in football knows City don't make enough money to spend that much money but no one says anything about it, no one calls them out on it they get a free ride and Pep the so called Jesus of football who is as big as a cnut as Jose is.

I pray that they have a Kegan meltdown this season, the sooner pep leaves the better.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
This is very much like 'Au revoir, come back when you won 18' territory. And that ended up biting Liverpool fans in the arse rather hard.
But no team will dominte like we did during 90's and until Sir Alex retired. There is just too much competition in the league and not enough continuity from one club to be so successful. I mean we've all seen how hard it is to retain the premier league. Never mind to win 3 times in a row like we did it 3 times.

Treble

It's strange cause when I look back at the Jose's first Chelsea team and also the Henry era in that Arsenal team, they had world class throughout the team and were outstanding. I don't feel the same about the City team but fair play to them, they have a style of play that as exposed the limitations of what is a league high on excitement and poor on quality. That city defence will be exposed in Europe against the better teams. Let's be honest the Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal teams even combined, are seriously lacking quality. Without sounding too knee jerk, if you saw some of them in an Everton or Southampton shirt, would you really say they are too good for them?
Same here. Only 2-3 City players would be firm starters for these teams. And for United best teams too.

But I think that the defence of these better European teams will be exposed too. City have huge attacking potential. They could have scored 6 goals last night while conceding only 2 shots on target with the likes of Delph and Mangala in defence. Against the likes of PSG or Real the final results coud be 3:3 or something like that.

Richard Cranium

Bantz.

Seriously though, how is it any different from the United players mocking City in a dressing room chant after the europa league final? Was that small time too?
It was right for Mourinho to do it. He had a far better season tha Pep last season yet endured constant criticism from all angles while Pep was a media love-in despite wanting to retire in January after struggling to beat Burnley.

There's a difference between celebrating a European trophy and bringing confetti to a derby game. Leagues aren't won in December.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
Many, many times, over 100 as a kid, and lots of money over the years thousands of £, I guess.

And that's from '86 onwards.

Is that enough for you? What about your good self?
Good for you. Try over a 1000 games on over 100 grounds and spending thousands per season.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
It was right for Mourinho to do it. He had a far better season tha Pep last season yet endured constant criticism from all angles while Pep was a media love-in despite wanting to retire in January after struggling to beat Burnley.

There's a difference between celebrating a European trophy and bringing confetti to a derby game. Leagues aren't won in December.
Not sure what your points is? My point is aimed at City singing park the bus after the spurs game and also the United players singing U-N-I-T-E-D chant in the dressing room after the Europa league final. Both chants have a dig at the other team and it is a hypocritical people coming in here calling City small time whilst ignoring the fact that United players have done it themselves.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
People defending what Lingard and his mates were chanting saying it was acceptable because United had just won a trophy are missing the point. It’s not what was being chanted that was the issue. It was the fact that not 48 hours earlier Manchester had been the target of a terrorist attack and both clubs had strived to put on a united front in the wake of that - “Manchester - a City United” was trending all over the place. Yet despite City’s official Twitter page congratulating United on their Europa League win seconds after the final whistle had gone in Sweden, Lingard decided to piss all over that show of solidarity. At any other time, I doubt any fooks would be given but the timing on this occasion was pretty poor to say the least.

Richard Cranium

Not sure what your points is? My point is aimed at City singing park the bus after the spurs game and also the United players singing U-N-I-T-E-D chant in the dressing room after the Europa league final. Both chants have a dig at the other team and it is a hypocritical people coming in here calling City small time whilst ignoring the fact that United players have done it themselves.
One is a well known chant made by the fans which is not just a dig at City, repeated by the players on a cup final.

The other is a chant adopted by the players and solely a dig at United.

Forever in our shadows.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
One is a well known chant made by the fans which is not just a dig at City, repeated by the players on a cup final.

The other is a chant adopted by the players and solely a dig at United.

Forever in our shadows.
Wrong - the chant was started by the fans. If you’d actually been at the game last week you’d know that.

The only difference is that one was sung in the wake of the Manchester terrorist attack and the other wasn’t. Funny how you forgot to mention that isn’t it Mr Head?

Stay classy mate.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Discussing their money is irrelevant to me and a cop out.
We need to win and the discussion should be how we can be better than them.
Some of our tactics put us at a natural disadvantage.
Don’t be ridiculous. City have spent a insane amount of money on assembling this squad, a squad of players tailor made for Pep to play the game he wants. Pep is arguably the World’s best manager in the game. However, there is no way in the World Pep would have been able to achieve City’s incredible run without the financial backing he’s received.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Don’t be ridiculous. City have spent a insane amount of money on assembling this squad, a squad of players tailor made for Pep to play the game he wants. Pep is arguably the World’s best manager in the game. However, there is no way in the World Pep would have been able to achieve City’s incredible run without the financial backing he’s received.
But, we have a ton of money as well.

Richard Cranium

Wrong - the chant was started by the fans. If you’d actually been at the game last week you’d know that.

The only difference is that one was sung in the wake of the Manchester terrorist attack and the other wasn’t. Funny how you forgot to mention that isn’t it Mr Head?

Stay classy mate.
You're very pathetic to try and use the terrorist attack in the city to try and askew United mocking City and comparing it your teams immaturity.

Classy? From a City fan? Do me a favour.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
After reading some of the shite in this forum regarding City and the fawning over them in the last couple of weeks (months?), i really do miss some of the irrational tribalism of football fandom sometimes.

Feck 'em.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Stay classy mate.
Why on earth would you bring that up?

Rams

But, we have a ton of money as well.
Yes. But, our net spend is lower than the likes of City and PSG. The same applies to Barca and Real for example. Yet the commercial value of United, Barca and Real is far in excess of City’s and PSG’s. That can’t be right.
I live in Amsterdam. Ajax have a far greater fan base than City or PSG. How is it then possible that Ajax’s total squad is probably worth less than a single player like De Bruyne?! Surely that can’t be right?
If I’m honest I haven’t always been totally comfortable with United’s financial advantage, but at least United’s expenditures are in line with their commercial value. City is almost like a corner shop purchasing Walmart.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
Why on earth would you bring that up?
Because dear Mr Richard Cranium thinks City players singing Park The Bus is worse than United players singing nursery rhynes about City at a time when the whole city was united in the wake of a terrorist attack. Read my post above - Lingard and co got a lot of criticism for it at the time and a fair bit of it was from United fans on here (fair play to them by the way) so the next time Mr Head wants to play moral top trumps I suggest he ups his game.

Stay classy mate.
The bolded, how the feck do they manage to end up in the same post :wenger:. Kin 'ell.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
You're very pathetic to try and use the terrorist attack in the city to try and askew United mocking City and comparing it your teams immaturity.

Classy? From a City fan? Do me a favour.
Awwwww, diddums. You really are a big girl’s blouse aren’t you? And a clueless one at that.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Yes. But, our net spend is lower than the likes of City and PSG. The same applies to Barca and Real for example. Yet the commercial value of United, Barca and Real is far in excess of City’s and PSG’s. That can’t be right.
I live in Amsterdam. Ajax have a far greater fan base than City or PSG. How is it then possible that Ajax’s total squad is probably worth less than a single player like De Bruyne?! Surely that can’t be right?
If I’m honest I haven’t always been totally comfortable with United’s financial advantage, but at least United’s expenditures are in line with their commercial value. City is almost like a corner shop purchasing Walmart.
At this point all PL sides would have an advantage over Ajax financially because of tv money.

Adisa

Unlike us who have barely spent a dime?
Our spending is comparable to theirs.

Rams

Last week’s dressing room saga is a storm in a tea cup. These things happen all the time.
Despite City being the better side, the match was very close and United caused City problems they haven’t yet faced in the EPL this season. But a couple of defensive errors by United made the difference. So you can imagine City’s relief and United’s disappointment after such a close match. Both sides could have probably shown more restraint. But emotions were running high, these things happen in the heat of the moment.

Rams

Unlike us who have barely spent a dime?
Our spending is comparable to theirs.
It’s not though. If you analyze what both clubs expenditure have been over the past years then City stand way ahead. And even if it was the same, United’s expenditure is in line with what they earn.

Richard Cranium

So says the biggest troll on the City threads. Fancy trying to claim that it was players that made up the Park the bus song:lol:
There you go again, I didn't say that. My point was that the song United sang was more than just about City, it's a well known United song. The City one is solely a dig at United.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Because dear Mr Richard Cranium thinks City players singing Park The Bus is worse than United players singing nursery rhynes about City at a time when the whole city was united in the wake of a terrorist attack. Read my post above - Lingard and co got a lot of criticism for it at the time and a fair bit of it was from United fans on here (fair play to them by the way) so the next time Mr Head wants to play moral top trumps I suggest he ups his game.
Surprises me that you fail to see how inappropriate and offensive it is to inject such a narrative in to a conversation that is based, primarly, around football.

Think again.