Manchester City under Pep Guardiola | Pep on City v Liverpool ref: "He likes to be special"

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Juventus conceded three yesterday. Do they also need to shop for new CBs? Real conceded 3 against Barcelona and Spurs, maybe the same then? The only team that probably has not been at the end of a hammering this year are Barcelona and Bayern which is to say where are those CBs that all these teams apparently need?
Dude, seriousy?

TheReligion

Abusive
Pep was awful and stubborn tonight. Literally got everything wrong and refused to budge or be even slightly creative.

Dismal.

Ban

Atmosphere at the Etihad will work in City's favor. Liverpool will be rattled. Blue seats will make big noise.

M Bison

Supports
York City
It only tells you that the PL isn't that great and that many teams have already lost the game before playing Man City.
Seems a strange outlook, that most teams have lost the game before they go out to play City but maybe you're right - if thats the case i still wouldnt call City's players gutless which was my real point.

el3mel

Juventus conceded three yesterday. Do they also need to shop for new CBs? Real conceded 3 against Barcelona and Spurs, maybe the same then? The only team that probably has not been at the end of a hammering this year are Barcelona and Bayern which is to say where are those CBs that all these teams apparently need?
Holy shite you took his post so seriously. It's Ban you know. :D

Classical Mechanic

City struggle when teams don’t back off and let them play, so what do 99% of teams do? Yup, back off and let them play.

Fair play to Klopp, he doesn’t change his tactics to play City, he just trusts his usual tactics.
You really think that Mourinho is going to drop Lukaku and Pogba and play the high press? We don't have the players to play like that and do practise playing like that enough to pull it off.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Pep's league record does kind of hide the fact that he hasn't done much of note in Europe for years now. That first half was genuinely as embarrassing as Jose vs sevilla because the City players just kept repeating the same mistakes

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Seems a strange outlook, that most teams have lost the game before they go out to play City but maybe you're right - if thats the case i still wouldnt call City's players gutless which was my real point.
It's true though, hammering a few teams early on the season send shivers to the rest. They all come to play against by attempting to poorly park the bus and not be nearly agressive. Wigan also played fairly similarly to Liverpool and they beat them.

Trizy

RTE 2 (Ireland) and ripping Pep a new one claiming his record is poor and he doesn't have Messi, Xavi and Iniesta :lol:.

Watch the British Media defend him after this loss since they're all on the payroll.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It only tells you that the PL isn't that great and that many teams have already lost the game before playing Man City.
This is spot on the standard of the premier league is rising but still poor. But Sky and Bt try to hype their product with Chelsea game at the weekend saying Hazard was magnificent. He was very average and I’m a huge Hazard fan but the hype machine never stops when it’s making money.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
At 3-0 it’s not over but, if City don’t go through, they will be classed alongside Arsenal’s “Invincibles” as a very good domestic side who couldn’t quite do it on the bigger stage.
I don't even think this season will rank alongside the Invincibles. With it looking very likely that City won't progress in the CL, the only thing of note about this season will be the points total, which will be a mere note in the record books. There's been no drama to it, and no real significant achievement, because at the end of the day, you get the same prize whether you win the league on goal difference or by 25 points.

Red_Aaron

In some ways the second half was worst than the first. 3-0 down and chasing the game, have all the ball but don't get a single shot off worthy of the name.
Clearly they're the best team in the league and they've had an off night but the complete lack of urgency or even risk given the circumstances was bizarre.
They looked clueless

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Liverpool did great, but nothing new for Pep away from home. Another atrocious CL performance.

24 Champions League knockout ties (Barcelona, Bayern, City); 24 away legs:
  • Win 5, draw 10, lose 9.

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
Not winning the CL with the best Bayern Munich team since the 1970s summed him up.

204Red

I'm not sure they are dead and buried. A top side could come back from this.

but, yeah... Pep is a plonker

Ban

So City the best PL team ever?
Apologies. Now I feel like an idiot :D. I'm just generally annoyed at how our fans call for an overhaul of our defense every time we concede a goal. My bad though!
No worries mate, it happens. :D

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Jokes > Facts

They were far worse in the first half
Blimey.

FujiVice

Everton are 9th. Fighting for a 7th place finish. They've probably been the worst Everton side since that 03/04 season where they nearly went down. That's the standard in the Premiership currently. It's turned into one of those league's where everyone is shit, and if someone got a stranglehold on it, they'd piss away with the title. City aren't all that. They showed that tonight and against Wigan. If you go into the fixture with a sex of balls on you, you can shake them. They're good, but they're from as good as the great United, Liverpool or even Chelsea sides.

Idxomer

Guardiola is a vulture who has been feasting on weak league competition for years now.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
In some ways the second half was worst than the first. 3-0 down and chasing the game, have all the ball but don't get a single shot off worthy of the name.
Clearly they're the best team in the league and they've had an off night but the complete lack of urgency or even risk given the circumstances was bizarre.
They looked clueless
Did they get a shot on target? I went to eat something as the game went very boring once Salah went out but yeah, they were doing shit with the ball and didn't look like creating a half decent chance.

Treble

Two bad mistakes by Guardiola: Gundogan and Laporte. Gundogan's work-rate and pace are inferior to Sterling's or Bernardo's. He didn't know where he was. Laporte isn't a proper LB. Pointless experiment in a hugely important game. Against the player of the season at that (Salah). Think Danilo is a better fit at LB and has more experienced at such level. Btw, City still can go through, Liverpool may be without Salah in the second leg.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Big mistake by Pep today. I was quietly celebrating when I found out that Sterling was not playing, Laporte against Salah and KdB moved away from his most dangerous position. Didn't want to jinx anything before the game though.

Really fancied Ox to score a screamer once I saw that inactive City midfield. I don't mean that disrespectfully, just how I felt we could hurt City.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Guardiola is a vulture who has been feasting on weak league competition for years now.
He's found his niche in the footballing world. Only manage clubs that can outspend everyone else in the league so you can utilize the higher quality of your team to play your brand of football.

Fair play to him, because he's very good at it.

Zoo

Did they get a shot on target? I went to eat something as the game went very boring once Salah went out but yeah, they were doing shit with the ball and didn't look like creating a half decent chance.
Nope.

M Bison

Supports
York City
It's true though, hammering a few teams early on the season send shivers to the rest. They all come to play against by attempting to poorly park the bus and not be nearly agressive. Wigan also played fairly similarly to Liverpool and they beat them.
I think there's a little bit more to it than just beating a few teams early on in the season, and whilst i agree there is a psychological battle to be had, dont believe football is as simple as teams crumbling before every game.

Canagel

Man City are good if you let them have the ball. Liverpool didn't allow them to have the ball so they won. Liverpool are good if you allow them to press. We didn't allow them to press so we won. Sometimes it's important to not allow the opposition what they like to do and take control of the game in that way.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Man City are good if you let them have the ball. Liverpool didn't allow them to have the ball so they won. Liverpool are good if you allow them to press. We didn't allow them to press so we won. Sometimes it's important to not allow the opposition what they like to do and take control of the game in that way.
Man City had more possession in that game than Liverpool. Liverpool let City have the ball in safe areas and pressed them when they got into dangerous areas.

Liverpool spent most of the game in their own half; they were very solid in their shape and very quick to counter attack. For example, the Salah goal was with the whole Liverpool team in their own half, City then make a mistake with a pass, and Salah runs behind the defence to create an opening.

Treble

Man City had more possession in that game than Liverpool. Liverpool let City have the ball in safe areas and pressed them when they got into dangerous areas.

Liverpool spent most of the game in their own half; they were very solid in their shape and very quick to counter attack. For example, the Salah goal was with the whole Liverpool team in their own half, City then make a mistake with a pass, and Salah runs behind the defence to create an opening.
That's true but he was offside. Sometimes such things can completely change the game. Guardiola made big mistakes, imo, but Liverpool were a bit lucky.