Manchester City under Pep Guardiola | Pep on City v Liverpool ref: "He likes to be special"

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
That really looks awful. As awful as Bravo against Rooney. But, I don't think you, City fans, are capable of remembering those.
Let's get one thing straight here - Bravo was lucky not to give a penalty away in the derby at Old Trafford but to suggest it was as bad as Rojo's challenge on the Everton player when Bravo was actually making a genuine, albeit rather reckless, attempt to win the ball back and Rojo most certainly wasn't is deliberately misleading. I'll also add that we were denied a penalty at the other end when Bailly went straight through Otamendi so what happened that day cuts both ways - we got away with some and you did too. However, there seems to be a narrative amongst some on here that that has now become the only controversial decision in the match and by extension United were denied at least a point because it didn't go your way.

As it happens, I'm perfectly capable of remembering which key decisions go for us and which ones don't so to claim City fans aren't capable of remembering is wrong because you can sure as hell bet that every fanbase shows a certain amount of bias when complaining about refereeing decisions.

VanGaalEra

Let's get one thing straight here - Bravo was lucky not to give a penalty away in the derby at Old Trafford but to suggest it was as bad as Rojo's challenge on the Everton player when Bravo was actually making a genuine, albeit rather reckless, attempt to win the ball back and Rojo most certainly wasn't is deliberately misleading. I'll also add that we were denied a penalty at the other end when Bailly went straight through Otamendi so what happened that day cuts both ways - we got away with some and you did too. However, there seems to be a narrative amongst some on here that that has now become the only controversial decision in the match and by extension United were denied at least a point because it didn't go your way.

As it happens, I'm perfectly capable of remembering which key decisions go for us and which ones don't so to claim City fans aren't capable of remembering is wrong because you can sure as hell bet that every fanbase shows a certain amount of bias when complaining about refereeing decisions.
Well that's wrong considering Rojo actually got the ball before the player. Rojo's challenge was worse though, I won't deny that.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
Well that's wrong considering Rojo actually got the ball before the player. Rojo's challenge was worse though, I won't deny that.
Apologies - I've just watched it again and he did get something on it. I've watched Bravo's again too - he was lucky not to give away a pen but yeah, it wasn't as out of control as Rojo's.

namco

Pep Guardiola's meeting with Mike Riley fails to stem his feeling that Manchester City are victims

I feel we are on a slippery slope here. It seems City are trying to portray the narrative of the plucky underdog who have built themselves up to challenge the elite. After putting all the hard work in to make a challenge they are now being thwarted by corrupt officials on the payroll of the elite.

As their Saudi sponsored financial doping campaign has been going on so long it's now become the norm. It's nothing unusual when they are the biggest spenders in world football year on year. Many fans forget where they were pre Mansour. It will be a sad day for the league if they start influencing officials though. If they had their way they would just turn up at PL HQ at the start of the season with sackfuls of cash & buy the trophy outright.

Robertd0803

After putting all the hard work in to make a challenge they are now being thwarted by corrupt officials on the payroll of the elite.
Debatable whether being bought by an oil rich Sheik and throwing money at things left right and centre and only being able to compete because of that is putting in the hard work. (not having a go at you @namco )

Anyway why is he meeting with Riley? Is that normal? Does every manager get to do it? If so why not? Seems very odd.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City

I feel we are on a slippery slope here. It seems City are trying to portray the narrative of the plucky underdog who have built themselves up to challenge the elite. After putting all the hard work in to make a challenge they are now being thwarted by corrupt officials on the payroll of the elite.

As their Saudi sponsored financial doping campaign has been going on so long it's now become the norm. It's nothing unusual when they are the biggest spenders in world football year on year. Many fans forget where they were pre Mansour. It will be a sad day for the league if they start influencing officials though. If they had their way they would just turn up at PL HQ at the start of the season with sackfuls of cash & buy the trophy outright.
I see geography isn't your strong point at school. Speaking of which, have you been wagging it again so you can pinch mummy's pc and post on here?

namco

Debatable whether being bought by an oil rich Sheik and throwing money at things left right and centre and only being able to compete because of that is putting in the hard work.
I was being facetious. It's a narrative they are putting out there. They managed to buy the league. Spending over £100M on players every season hasn't generated the success they'd hoped for though. They are now going after the officials.

Robertd0803

I was being facetious. It's a narrative they are putting out there. They managed to buy the league. Spending over £100M on players every season hasn't generated the success they'd hoped for though. They are now going after the officials.
I guessed so ;) was disputing their narrative but didn't want it to come across as having a go at you.

salford_

City have had decisions go for them and against them, as have Burnley, WBA, Sunderland, Utd etc. Wish theyd stop acting like they're the most hard done by in the EPL. Nauseating.

They lost 4-0 to Everton because of the ref apparently, sorry, but you do not lose 4-0 because of a referee. If he doesn't give you a penalty at 0-0, or 1-0, then that's an error. But to say it caused you to lose 4-0 etc is laughable.

When they lost to Chelsea, it was all because David Luiz didn't get sent. Nothing to do with KDB miss of the season so far then? Or the fact Aguero was shite and missed all his chances

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I'm surprised that Pep met with Riley. Honestly, I didn't realise that you were allowed to do this. Not suggesting that Pep or City are trying anything underhanded, but it's uncomfortable. I hate to think it, but how can any other team be sure that they aren't trying to influence the officials?

VanGaalEra

Not at all. Unlike Vangaalera, which is why I posted what I did.
The refs in our games throughout the season have been considerably worse than in City games, they've been horrible.

Not sure what your post was supposed to prove or even the point of it.

Could you imagine his reaction if City went through the ref decisions we've been through this season. He'd have lost all the hair on his beard too.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
United have been f.....over by refs quite a few times this season so not sure what he said that was wrong?
Of course you have - no-one's doubting that. I'm not having a go at VanGaalEra - he's actually a far better poster than I first thought - but I think it was his statement that you've been f*cked over by refs far more than City that was the issue. Now I don't get to see too much of United's games so maybe I'm not best placed to argue the toss on that but can anyone say with any certainty that United have had a much worse deal from refs than City? Both teams have got away with some decisions and been done over on others. I can only speak with certainty from a City POV but, the last couple of months in particular, we have been on the receiving end of some absolute shockers, namely the blatant shove on Sterling on Saturday and the worst of the lot was the utterly unfathomable decision of Anthony Taylor not to blow for the foul on Aguero by Luiz despite the fact that the whole world could see the whistle was in his mouth and everyone was expecting it to be given plus a red card shown. Sterling also should've had a penalty against Everton last week but I said myself over on BM that it was a difficult one for the ref to work out what happened as he probably just saw a coming together of 3 players, whereas we had the benefit of several TV replays. I'll also add that pretty much every bad tackle/elbow from our players has been punished either at the time or, in Aguero's case against West Ham, retrospectively. I think that's why Ronetta highlighted Rojo's challenge as it didn't receive the correct punishment. There was also Ibrahimovic leading with his elbow on Dawson against West Brom that a fair few United fans on here even admitted could've been a red, plus Rooney's challenge on Milner last week that Neville conceded he was lucky to get away with. Having said that, we got away with a biggie away at West Brom ourselves when Nolito stupidly stuck his head on a West Brom player (actually it might've been Dawson again funnily enough) and got away with a booking. It was 0-0 at that point and we went on to win 4-0 so in that context it was very significant.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
The refs in our games throughout the season have been considerably worse than in City games, they've been horrible.

See my post above mate. On a general point, the standard of refereeing all season across the PL has been pretty shocking.

VanGaalEra

See my post above mate. On a general point, the standard of refereeing all season across the PL has been pretty shocking.
Agree, the worst I've seen for a long long time.

Can't continue like this, the sooner technology is introduced the better.

Ronetta

Supports
Man City

I absolutely do not agree. You've had nothing but the normal rub of the green; it's just that the blatant pro-united refereeing bias you enjoyed under SAF's watch is no longer there, so it perhaps seems to you lot that you are hard done by.

I was reminded on Bluemoon recently of Mike Riley's performance in the famed Arsenal-United game at Old Trafford with Vieira and Van Nistlerooy et al (if I remember correctly, the one that ended their unbeaten run). United committed AT LEAST 4 straight red card offences that day, maybe more and not a soul was even booked for any of them.

Against this backdrop, anything even vague fair, seems like you are being harshly done by.

VanGaalEra

I absolutely do not agree. You've had nothing but the normal rub of the green; it's just that the blatant pro-united refereeing bias you enjoyed under SAF's watch is no longer there, so it perhaps seems to you lot that you are hard done by.

I was reminded on Bluemoon recently of Mike Riley's performance in the famed Arsenal-United game at Old Trafford with Vieira and Van Nistlerooy et al (if I remember correctly, the one that ended their unbeaten run). United committed AT LEAST 4 straight red card offences that day, maybe more and not a soul was even booked for any of them.

Against this backdrop, anything even vague fair, seems like you are being harshly done by.
Care to go further in depth, what have you seen in our games that makes you think we've had "the normal rub of the green"?

Your second paragraph is wholly irrelevant, shall we go back in history and source a game in which City got favourable decisions and state you feel hard done by because you don't get that treatment nowadays?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Why would the referees be biased towards United?

NinjaFletch

:houllier:

Ronetta

Supports
Man City
The previous two posts confirm there's really no point in me posting further on this. I understand I am on a united forum and I can hardly expect you all to suddenly agree that you've been treated favourably by referees for decades (despite that being the view of the supporters of all the other 30-odd clubs that have participated at the top level over that time).

So please, continue in your ignorance. I'm done on this matter.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The previous two posts confirm there's really no point in me posting further on this. I understand I am on a united forum and I can hardly expect you all to suddenly agree that you've been treated favourably by referees for decades (despite that being the view of the supporters of all the other 30-odd clubs that have participated at the top level over that time)..
That's always the case for any club that dominates for so long. Madrid and Barca fans argue how refs are bent, same with few Dortmund fans too that refs favor Bayern. When a club is winning people ignore the decisions that goes against the club. People talk about Webb giving controversial penalty to ManUtd against Spurs but conveniently ignore that Palacios should have been off in the first 10 mins.

So please, continue in your ignorance. I'm done on this matter
:lol:

VanGaalEra

The previous two posts confirm there's really no point in me posting further on this. I understand I am on a united forum and I can hardly expect you all to suddenly agree that you've been treated favourably by referees for decades (despite that being the view of the supporters of all the other 30-odd clubs that have participated at the top level over that time).

Guess you forget the favourable decisions you got in the run in last season to help qualify for the CL (WBA should have had a pen, Chelsea were denied a pen and Aguero offside goal against Newcastle, Mangala not getting sent off every other game).

Of course, if that was the other way round it would have just been the typical corrupt and bent FA/Refs etc, right?

Bestie07

You can post an incident where United got the rub of the green, and I will post another where our opponent did. We can do this all day. Or you can just accept that we made the most of the decisions that went our way in the past, and overcame the ones that went against us, because we were just better than most of the teams we faced.

Bestie07

That's always the case for any club that dominates for so long. Madrid and Barca fans argue how refs are bent, same with few Dortmund fans too that refs favor Bayern. When a club is winning people ignore the decisions that goes against the club. People talk about Webb giving controversial penalty to ManUtd against Spurs but conveniently ignore that Palacios should have been off in the first 10 mins.
That was one of the worst tackles I have ever seen, worse than some tackles that have actually broken bones. Ronaldo did very well to jump out of the way then.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
That was one of the worst tackles I have ever seen, worse than some tackles that have actually broken bones. Ronaldo did very well to jump out of the way then.
Yeah, running at full speed and aimed Ronaldo's shin.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Of course you have - no-one's doubting that. I'm not having a go at VanGaalEra - he's actually a far better poster than I first thought - but I think it was his statement that you've been f*cked over by refs far more than City that was the issue. Now I don't get to see too much of United's games so maybe I'm not best placed to argue the toss on that but can anyone say with any certainty that United have had a much worse deal from refs than City? Both teams have got away with some decisions and been done over on others. I can only speak with certainty from a City POV but, the last couple of months in particular, we have been on the receiving end of some absolute shockers, namely the blatant shove on Sterling on Saturday and the worst of the lot was the utterly unfathomable decision of Anthony Taylor not to blow for the foul on Aguero by Luiz despite the fact that the whole world could see the whistle was in his mouth and everyone was expecting it to be given plus a red card shown. Sterling also should've had a penalty against Everton last week but I said myself over on BM that it was a difficult one for the ref to work out what happened as he probably just saw a coming together of 3 players, whereas we had the benefit of several TV replays. I'll also add that pretty much every bad tackle/elbow from our players has been punished either at the time or, in Aguero's case against West Ham, retrospectively. I think that's why Ronetta highlighted Rojo's challenge as it didn't receive the correct punishment. There was also Ibrahimovic leading with his elbow on Dawson against West Brom that a fair few United fans on here even admitted could've been a red, plus Rooney's challenge on Milner last week that Neville conceded he was lucky to get away with. Having said that, we got away with a biggie away at West Brom ourselves when Nolito stupidly stuck his head on a West Brom player (actually it might've been Dawson again funnily enough) and got away with a booking. It was 0-0 at that point and we went on to win 4-0 so in that context it was very significant.
Agree and the refereeing has been absolutely shocking this season.
For United the one's sticking out is of course the games we dropped points in that had blatant descisions going against us. For example Arsenal, Burnley, Stoke, perhaps WH and you lot. Against Middlesbrough was the worst ref performance I've seen but thankfully we won that. Had the ref done his job we should be a few points better off.

With City I haven't paid as close attention of course but you should definitely have had a pen a the weekend. And as you also pointed out, the reffing has been awful. You want them to so their job and at the moment the don't seem capable of doing so.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
Why would the referees be biased towards United?
I'm not for one minute suggesting that refs are biased towards United, but when you have Richard Scudamore of all people saying things like he said below when Moyes was in charge of you, it's bound to get opposition fans talking:

Manchester United’s woeful season has potentially damaging consequences for the worldwide appeal of the Premier League, according to Richard Scudamore.

The Premier League’s chief executive admits the global popularity of English football will decline if United do not recover from this season’s slump.

Speaking in South Africa as part of the Premier League’s promotional work in the country, Scudamore acknowledged the mass appeal of United is key to attracting an overseas audience but viewers may turn off if their favourites are underperforming.
Now like I said, that doesn't mean there's a directive from the PL to give United favourable decisions but it isn't exactly helpful - to anyone, including United - when the Premier League's main man is coming out with that.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!

Ok. Obvious you haven't seen us this season and have nothing to add.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
Agree and the refereeing has been absolutely shocking this season.
For United the one's sticking out is of course the games we dropped points in that had blatant descisions going against us. For example Arsenal, Burnley, Stoke, perhaps WH and you lot. Against Middlesbrough was the worst ref performance I've seen but thankfully we won that. Had the ref done his job we should be a few points better off.

With City I haven't paid as close attention of course but you should definitely have had a pen a the weekend. And as you also pointed out, the reffing has been awful. You want them to so their job and at the moment the don't seem capable of doing so.
Yeah, I saw the disallowed goal against 'Boro which was harshly chalked off.

It's quite difficult for opposition fans to have a rational discussion about this because every fanbase will feel refs have got it in for their team when things go against them. Generally speaking, I think most of it is down to bad reffing rather than biased reffing but every now and then an incident occurs where you wonder if it's something more sinister (from a City point of view, Taylor's decision not to blow for a foul against Luiz is the one that stands out for us this season). Keeping with the general theme and not aimed at any club in particular, I think it would be naive to believe all refs in this country are completely above board when corruption has been proven elsewhere. Everton complained so vigorously about Clattenburg's refereeing display in the 2007 Merseyside derby, for example, that he didn't officiate another game involving Everton for the next 6 years.

VanGaalEra

I'm not for one minute suggesting that refs are biased towards United, but when you have Richard Scudamore of all people saying things like he said below when Moyes was in charge of you, it's bound to get opposition fans talking:

Now like I said, that doesn't mean there's a directive from the PL to give United favourable decisions but it isn't exactly helpful - to anyone, including United - when the Premier League's main man is coming out with that.
The actual quote sounds a lot more different to how it's actually portrayed

“It’s a double-edged sword,” Scudamore told Bloomberg. “When your most popular club isn’t doing as well, that costs you interest and audience in some places.”

“There’s lots of fans around the world who wish Manchester United were winning it again, but you have to balance that off against, generally, we’re in the business of putting on a competition and competition means people can compete.”

VanGaalEra

Yeah, I saw the disallowed goal against 'Boro which was harshly chalked off.

It's quite difficult for opposition fans to have a rational discussion about this because every fanbase will feel refs have got it in for their team when things go against them. Generally speaking, I think most of it is down to bad reffing rather than biased reffing but every now and then an incident occurs where you wonder if it's something more sinister (from a City point of view, Taylor's decision not to blow for a foul against Luiz is the one that stands out for us this season). Keeping with the general theme and not aimed at any club in particular, I think it would be naive to believe all refs in this country are completely above board when corruption has been proven elsewhere. Everton complained so vigorously about Clattenburg's refereeing display in the 2007 Merseyside derby, for example, that he didn't officiate another game involving Everton for the next 6 years.
This is exactly what it is, even though fans may, in the heat of the moment straight after they've been hard done by, state they believe it to be corrupt or bent.

The standard is appalling and that's what the majority complain about. Craig Pawson during our game with Palace was one of the worst ref performances you'll ever see with decisions both for and against both teams.

unitedforeveral

i am a huge fan of Pep but i hate him for not choosing the Red part of Manchester. Therefore, i don't give a damn about what happens to him or Shitty.

namco

I understand I am on a united forum and I can hardly expect you all to suddenly agree that you've been treated favourably by referees for decades (despite that being the view of the supporters of all the other 30-odd clubs that have participated at the top level over that time).
You really are from the bowels of Blue Moon. If you really believe that we dominated the PL due to having the ref's in our pockets you are seriously deluded. We dominated the league due to having a well executed strategy & the best manager in the history of the game. It's a myth perpetrated by other clubs with small time mentalities that Utd corruptly controlled the league. It's all used to mitigate their own shortcomings.

It wasn't our fault you decided to go yo-yoing through the leagues while we went to ever greater levels of success. It's hard to believe that you fecked things up so much that you failed to capitalize in any way on being our neighbours. You think about that.