Manchester City under Pep Guardiola | Pep on City v Liverpool ref: "He likes to be special"

cyberman

@VBI
Its an excuse, so is saying this..
Best to let the players who played on Friday either rest or do recovery work.

You see how far you reached into your ass for that one? Unless Pep suffered a mountain of injuries late last night / this morning then he knew he was going with a 6 man bench before the game last night.
7 minutes allotated to a youth player this season so this isn't even a one off distrust of youth.
Its an excuse. Plain and simple.

Lord Megadrive

Flautist in training
Between the Motorola 68000 and Yamaha YM2612
Imagine if it was mourinho who named a 6 man bench. The Pep devotees would be criticising him no end. At the end of the day it’s his decision but he has made himself a bit of a hypocrite for this course of action, not to mention it looking a bit disrespectful towards Burnley.

salford_

Imagine if it was mourinho who named a 6 man bench. The Pep devotees would be criticising him no end. At the end of the day it’s his decision but he has made himself a bit of a hypocrite for this course of action, not to mention it looking a bit disrespectful towards Burnley.
6 man bench was a joke. "I didnt sign Mahrez for 60m so i cant name a 7th sub, even though i have an academy i just dont want to use them, they arent expensive enough"

Read an interesting quote from a pundit the other day online, said "When pep starts winning things and playing beautiful football with a West Ham, Newcastle, Everton, Southampton etc - then i will join the bandwagon, until then hes had it far too easy"

Fair point id guess, in a sense

Kag

An academy player would have benefited from the match day experience.

Piss poor, reserve game the night before or not.

Switch

I don't see anyone losing their minds over it.
Dramatic? Much?
As for the last paragraph, that is pretty much the first introduction for every young player.
Not trying to be dramatic, maybe it was the words I used. Gary Nevil was in hysterics. The same reaction is shared not just on here but other websites, keen to make a big deal out of nothing. For example these posts were OTT and just spiteful:
Yet another guardiola issue I simply can't understand the worshippers backing him on. It's ansolute nothing to do with supporting anyone, even a total neutral would see that as a perfect opportunity to see an academy player get experience as being part of a match day squad - Ferguson for example often did it nearing the end of a season. Imagine being the best performing youth player, an opportunity like that arises and he prefers to leave the seat EMPTY. He's an enormous attention seeker and roaring hypocrite and that would incredibly disheartening to a young player, they must thing "he doesn't even want to know about us".

Some of you would rather do anything that allow even a fair criticism, however minor, to be aimed at him. I've never seen a **** like following of this intensity in 20 plus years following football.
So the guy is a supposed master at developing youth players, but he doesn’t have a single one that is better than an empty chair?

Switch

OTT and spiteful? To think that a live body is better than an empty chair? :lol:
What would the player have offered over the empty spot when they are not going to play? You're reading in to it far too much and clearly see it as him making some sort of statement. As somebody else mentioned in the thread, he did this numerous times at Bayern and quite rightly nobody cared.

Carolina Red

Staff
What would the player have offered over the empty spot when they are not going to play? You're reading in to it far too much and clearly see it as him making some sort of statement. As somebody else mentioned in the thread, he did this numerous times at Bayern and quite rightly nobody cared.
Scored the winner, maybe...?

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
6 man bench was a joke. "I didnt sign Mahrez for 60m so i cant name a 7th sub, even though i have an academy i just dont want to use them, they arent expensive enough"

Read an interesting quote from a pundit the other day online, said "When pep starts winning things and playing beautiful football with a West Ham, Newcastle, Everton, Southampton etc - then i will join the bandwagon, until then hes had it far too easy"

Fair point id guess, in a sense
He did it with Barcelona B team

Won the league with them and they were more organised and coached better than the main team

He dind't just walk into the Barca job despite what people will lead you to believe

Lord Megadrive

Flautist in training
He did it with Barcelona B team

Won the league with them and they were more organised and coached better than the main team

He dind't just walk into the Barca job despite what people will lead you to believe
People aren’t saying he walked into the Barca Job. Just that he’s this supposedly great promoter of youth players into his teams and didn’t take this opportunity to give a young player the chance to see what it was like in the first team. Also the fact that he brought so many into the Barca side was due to the fact that he had worked with them for the year (or 2?) prior, it could’ve gone wrong but it didn’t and he has sort of rode the praise since because he didn’t promote at Bayern and at City, which indicates it’s the outlier as opposed the norm.

TheReligion

Abusive
The experience of being with the first team squad?

City have spent a truckload on youth development that can't even fill a bench. Pep was making a selfish point when he could have given one of the kids the greatest days of their careers to date.

TheeAma

Supports
Chelsea
People aren’t saying he walked into the Barca Job. Just that he’s this supposedly great promoter of youth players into his teams and didn’t take this opportunity to give a young player the chance to see what it was like in the first team. Also the fact that he brought so many into the Barca side was due to the fact that he had worked with them for the year (or 2?) prior, it could’ve gone wrong but it didn’t and he has sort of rode the praise since because he didn’t promote at Bayern and at City, which indicates it’s the outlier as opposed the norm.
The latter isn't true, he brought through Kimich at Bayern and tried alot more youth players some of them just wasn't up to standard. He brought on youngster for sterling and some of their great prospects are out on loan in spain to Granada.

Pep has been lauded for trying youth players in big matches, something he has done in the premier league. I believe their Ukrainian leftback is from the academy and he's got alot of premier league minutes and champions league minutes.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
That was completely unnecessary.

They are those within the English media that would love to being him down a peg. Gives them some ammunition. There's only so much that the City propaganda machine can spin.
Not sure.
They can spin 300-350k per week to 500k per week + bonuses so i"d say they'll try to spin anything.

Hercules

Machedaaaa would never have happened if it was like this. Yeah he turned into a shit player but that goal against Villa, fans cherish these moments.

Switch

Scored the winner, maybe...?
That's a moot point. How can a player score the winner when they have no chance of playing in the match?

From this logic, what's the point in having 7 substitutes when only 3 are going to play?
To cover injuries/change of tactics/fatigue etc. however City had obviously planned to play the full 90 and had each position covered. Furthermore, there is no obligation to have 7 substitutes or bring 3 substitutes on.

The experience of being with the first team squad?

City have spent a truckload on youth development that can't even fill a bench. Pep was making a selfish point when he could have given one of the kids the greatest days of their careers to date.
I disagree, it would be pointless. They are going to be warming the bench for 1 maybe 2 games and then back to the youth team.

SER19

Not trying to be dramatic, maybe it was the words I used. Gary Nevil was in hysterics. The same reaction is shared not just on here but other websites, keen to make a big deal out of nothing. For example these posts were OTT and just spiteful:
Spiteful? You must be incredibly easily offended. Youl fit right in in 2018

Also watch Gary Neville clip again knowing you claimed he was in 'hysterics'. You are genuinely making stuff up.

Lord Megadrive

Flautist in training
That's a moot point. How can a player score the winner when they have no chance of playing in the match?
We know it’s unlikely, but there’s always the chance. Football..bloody hell

To cover injuries/change of tactics/fatigue etc. however City had obviously planned to play the full 90 and had each position covered. Furthermore, there is no obligation to have 7 substitutes or bring 3 substitutes on.
No there isn’t, however by not filling the 7 subs spot Pep has looked arrogant and disrespectful towards Burnley. Let’s go back to the days of no subs that’ll please Pep then...

I disagree, it would be pointless. They are going to be warming the bench for 1 maybe 2 games and then back to the youth team.
But surely them getting some experience would aid their game and make them try harder? You’ve obviously not thought about the positive reward mentality. The youth players may now think..”what’s the point, no matter how well I play I’m not getting into the first team!”.
Look at Rashford for example, he wasn’t rated as highly as some. What would’ve happened if LVG hadn’t named him in that midytlland game but chose to make a statement of how hard done by he his (at one of the richest clubs in the world too..)

And your spiteful comment was a little ott agree?

Judas

Open to offers
What does everyone think it would take for the media to turn on Pep? We've seen them turn on plenty of managers in the past. Pep having a little pop at them?

Mister_Stubbs

What does everyone think it would take for the media to turn on Pep? We've seen them turn on plenty of managers in the past. Pep having a little pop at them?
I doubt it, they’ll probably come out and say “well you know what, Pep is right to say that about us, how can we change Pep?” The spineless bunch of morons.

Switch

We know it’s unlikely, but there’s always the chance. Football..bloody hell

No there isn’t, however by not filling the 7 subs spot Pep has looked arrogant and disrespectful towards Burnley. Let’s go back to the days of no subs that’ll please Pep then...

But surely them getting some experience would aid their game and make them try harder? You’ve obviously not thought about the positive reward mentality. The youth players may now think..”what’s the point, no matter how well I play I’m not getting into the first team!”.
Look at Rashford for example, he wasn’t rated as highly as some. What would’ve happened if LVG hadn’t named him in that midytlland game but chose to make a statement of how hard done by he his (at one of the richest clubs in the world too..)

And your spiteful comment was a little ott agree?
Not really, those people are blowing it out of all proportion when all I’m saying is that it’s neglible. The reason they are making a big deal out of it is to have a go at Pep. I’m sure they will get over it. Moyes did it a couple of weeks ago and nobody cared.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
Not really, those people are blowing it out of all proportion when all I’m saying is that it’s neglible. The reason they are making a big deal out of it is to have a go at Pep. I’m sure they will get over it. Moyes did it a couple of weeks ago and nobody cared.
There is a huge difference between Moyes doing it at West Ham, and Pep doing it at City, for one West Ham are run by a couple of people of let's say less than savory characters, who do not make that much money available to their managers, so at times during periods of injuries one could understand to a degree them not being able to field a full subs bench, however at City, they have more money than practically everyone else, and a youth set up hyped up to the moon and back by the press.
So even taking into account that they had a youth match the night before, having someone sit on the bench but not play would surely not have been beyond them.

But instead, it does seem that Pep was trying to play political mind games, which is just the wrong thing to do in this situation.

Epicurean

Supports
Ajax
I think Rashford and Martial under Pep would develop much more as attacking players the way Pep made Sterling play like a young Ronaldo.

Mourinho’s defensive approach is an obstacle to offensive players.