Manchester United 2:2 Steven Gerrard's Villa (Sat 23rd July, 10:45 UK time)

Adamsk7

good test this. Some of the uglier parts of our game such as Fred pondering on the ball and the passive, slow nature of our defenders is starting to show. Up to our team now to continue with what ETH has been teaching. Do we keep our heads and continue the game plan or do we fold and revert to zombie football?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Slippy Me desperately looking for his football boots on the bench. Perfect conditions for him to be out there on the pitch.

diarm

Playing with 10 men was grand in the first half when Villa were asleep. But they've woken up now so can we ditch Donny for preferably Garner but otherwise absolutely anyone else.

Blood Mage

We look nervous about the conditions and are being quite passive at the moment.

Anustart89

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation
It is, but look at the lack of effort with which Shaw runs back, and then arrives a second after he's taken the shot. If he'd actually bothered to sprint back he would've been there once Bailey turned inside to take the shot and we'd have said "nicely done by Lindelöf to slow him down until he's being helped out".

phelans shorts

If Lindelöf had pushed up and got done people would be having a go for letting Bailey run the length of the pitch unopposed. He has to stand off, slow him down and wait for someone to help me out. I swear some people know nothing about football.
Funny that you’re showing knowing nothing too, but with a high and mighty attitude.

The fact is Lindelof backed off too far. He would have been wrong to dive in but he was also wrong to stand so far off and give him all the time in the world.

PoTMS

Surely Savage or Iqbal can come on and do a better job than Van de Beek.

laughtersassassin

I really like Sancho but one thing I will say is that guy is so afraid of a tackle.

Pulls out of every 50 50

Tiber

Donny probably isn't good enough. But neither is anyone else we have in midfield

Lentwood

If Lindelöf had pushed up and got done people would be having a go for letting Bailey run the length of the pitch unopposed. He has to stand off, slow him down and wait for someone to help me out. I swear some people know nothing about football.
Bailey received the ball just inside the United half and by the time he took the shot, Lindelof was in our penalty area! Far too passive, you can't just allow a forward to run 40 yards, cut-inside a take a shot. Should have engaged 15/20 yards from our box and forced him to go wide...it's simple stuff really

the_cliff

Our touch has been terrible this second half. Ball is just bouncing off our players.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
It is, but look at the lack of effort with which Shaw runs back, and then arrives a second after he's taken the shot. If he'd actually bothered to sprint back he would've been there once Bailey turned inside to take the shot and we'd have said "nicely done by Lindelöf to slow him down until he's being helped out".
I'd Imagine Martinez going for the tackle there. He gets the ball, great. He doesn't and Bailey goes past him, he's through on goal

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Bailey received the ball just inside the United half and by the time he took the shot, Lindelof was in our penalty area! Far too passive, you can't just allow a forward to run 40 yards, cut-inside a take a shot. Should have engaged 15/20 yards from our box and forced him to go wide...it's simple stuff really
He knows he's talking bullshit but some people just can't help but defend their countryman. If that was Maguire we wouldnt hear the end of it for a month

GMoore23

Both teams should have refused to come out for the second half. How can you prepare for top level football on a surface like that. Serious injury risk also.

Bondi77

Tell that to Real Madrid fans. If you don't perform, you are booed. If you don't improve, you are booted out of the club. Shame United fans have a holier than thou attitude to this.
I could not give a feck how Madrid fans treat their players...they booed Bale which shows what fecking morons they are!

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Martial has pressed more and tackled better in the midfield than donny....MARTIAL :lol: :lol:
I've never seen a midfielder have such little impact on a game of football than van de Beek regularly does, just a waste of money that signing was.

OpenIntrovert

Are we seriously giving reviews for preseason? Just relax guys, ETH will only take the players out if they are starting to show fatigue.

RedDevilQuebecois

The job of a centre-back is to stop the opponent from entering dangerous positions. I have seen my share of top CBs over the years and they would rather take the initiative to stop the opponent with a tackle rather than hope for someone to help at all, especially when that help is as slow as Maguire.