g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Manchester United vs AS Roma (Pre-season Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghagua

Great goals from Rooney and Mata. As expected, the conditions really affect you, especially the thin air. Still disappointed with some of the passing though. Roma seemed to pass the ball around much better. I really, really do not like the 5 at the back lineup, even if we are going to be tough to beat. Whenever Roma had the ball, both wing backs were level with the 3 central defenders marking 1 Roma striker, leaving the midfield 2 with too much to do.

Finally have given up on Nani, he needs to go for his own good.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Missed the game, but good to see we got a win. First two goals were great as well. Roma's first goal was really good, though got to feel sorry for our keeper (Amos?) being caught out like that.

Seems we are sticking with the 3 at the back system throughout this tour by the looks of it. We are really going to have to bring in some defenders. Otherwise we are way to thin at the back.

BaguetteBoy

Just seen the game ... (Thanks to youtube wasn't too keen on the Spanish commentary )
Got dominated but all that matter is getting back to winning ways. Rooney took his goals well and the best pass of the game for Mata's assist.
We all know by now why cleverly was given the arm band but still can't see him as a starter.

RedRedWineOT

Game with pretty goals. But our deficiency in the midfield showed blatantly. Hopefully Woodward is working on getting us couple of decent CM/DM before too long. Who do you guys think a reasonable target would be? I just wish that we had sufficient number of DM/CMs to try on during the preseason.

fallengt

Was in the pub...Didn't see the game. Two questions.

1. Can I get a summary?
2. Saw a vine of Roma's goal.....Who in God's name was that in goal???
1. We were good for 15minutes (30-45') and average/poor for most of the time, terrible 2nd half. A necessary reality check, LvG will do something about it.

bishblaize

Decent run out I thought. No point hammering 7 goals past mediocre sides every week. Roma were clearly a good team, and hopefully a combination of that and the conditions made it a good fitness challenge for the team.

I think we saw both sides of the 3-5-2 yesterday. On the plus side it gave us some really good attacking moments, with players attacking from wide but still with plenty of bodies in the middle.

On the downside if you're playing with a pure number 10 and he's not having a great game, like mata was for the first 30 minutes, it really puts the kibosh on the whole game.

I'm a bit unconvinced about having a traditional dedicated number 10. Amazing to watch when it works, but I worry that it might be a little easy to negate. Still, at least it's Mata there, not many around who can do it better than him. And you do still have two wide players in a 352 which you don't have in a narrow 443. Either way, it'd be nice to see a proper 433 tried out before we go into the season proper.

I thought the high line was a continual risk. However the real issue was not the back line, but a combination of a poor couple of moments by (think it was) Blackett, and a poor showing by Clev who didn't press. No pressure in midfield and a high line has been enough to destroy better back lines than ours.

Still, you can't deny that there's been some really quality attacking moments. Two great goals, and I loved the interplay for the penalty between Herrera and Danny. That's bodes well. In the end the real killer in our season last year was a pathetic attack, and though we're only in preseason, we're also still missing RVP and Januzaj so some of our better attacking options are still to come.

Manutd89

2 half was ruined by all the changes. Hernandez, Nani, Young, lingard, Keane and Amos was really poor when they came inn. Blackett also had his problems with the attack of Roma. Smalling and Kagawa was two only subs was good.

I'm sure we would won more if we kept the same team in the whole game. All in all a good game to get fit for the season.

Last edited:

bastip92

Thought Blackett struggled in the first 30 minutes but improved after that. I can see why van Gaal rates him, he passes the ball very well out of defense. Smalling's passing seemed to be better already, too.

Pablitoooo

Supports
Roma
Hi guys, nice slow SUMMER match for United and for Roma, with beautiful goals (..Rooney!!..Miralem!!!)

Rooney is a fantastic player, as usual, and Mata has a great foot ...obviously LvG will still have to work hard for his 352

We are content for the good 30 minutes of our young players. Paredes, Ucan, Romagnoli, and in the second half Sanabria.
Iturbe is still "out of the match", but I'm confident on him

Greetings from Rome

Stretford Red1978

The verve and energy in our passing and movement is very encouraging, there is still a lack of balance in the midfield IMO but overall I'm very excited about the new direction under LvG.
Agree with this I am very excited at this new direction as well. With full fitness and some new signings I think we will go from strength to strength!

InTheHole

Zaha hasn't had his chance to impress yet.
If Zaha can't impress enough in training to warrant a run out then I do fear for him. It's speculation of course, but I suspect he might be struggling to adapt to LVG's system and he doesn't portray the best attitude. Hope I'm wrong and I do hope he gets his chance though.

GRon

If Zaha can't impress enough in training to warrant a run out then I do fear for him. It's speculation of course, but I suspect he might be struggling to adapt to LVG's system and he doesn't portray the best attitude. Hope I'm wrong and I do hope he gets his chance though.
I do not think that is true. This is LvG's quote from his press conference

"I have a lot of players who can play in the strikers’ positions. I have already said that our selection is not in balance. I can put six strikers in.

"So maybe next time I will put Zaha in because he is working hard. He is doing all the things I require or demand, so there is no problem."

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Doesn't look too good for Zaha, still think he has the potential to make it here. You don't just blow 15 mil on a very promising youngster and discard him without giving him a proper chance in the first team. Whether he has worker hard to deserve it or not is another matter. Heck even Bebe got a few starts.... Expect him to play against Inter in the second half instead of Lingard or preferably Nani. There is going to be immense pressure on him though as he has probably the most to prove in the squad alongside Cleverley and look how that turned out for him against Roma.

Ling

I thought he was good. Quick feet and thinking, misplaced some passes but also made his signature through balls a couple of times, has a lot of energy too. Comfortably our best midfielder today again.
Thanks man, one more question if you don't mind. How many chances did United create?

Dudebro

Hi, Roma fan here.

I don't know how many of you watched the game yesterday but trust me , I know that summer friendly are worth about two dead flies, but still MU, considering we're starting the league 2 weeks later, were poor, embarrasing in places.

They didn't shot on goal for the first 35 minutes of the game and we played with 3/11 starters and 7 players under 24. Yesterday Roma's first half midfield comprises the 5th, 6th and 7th in the value hierarchy, we don't have the pace yet but we controlled the game most of the time and they scored 3 goals with 2 shots quite randomly, I'm not exaggerating

When the more gifted players (Totti-Pjanic-Ljajic) entered the pitch in the 2nd half the game ended instantly, the technical discrepancy between the two teams was huge, I'm not kidding it was seriuously disconcerting.

MU need a playmaker badly, you can't even think to win the EPL playing like Holland did in the WC, which is basically like any low-tier team in the Italian league play. MU can't play like Chievo Verona, an insult for the game and the fans.

In a single game, whether is a Champions League or WC's final, Van Gaal might be a genius and nicked it, but the EPL is a whole differen story, I would say any league is. You need to dictate your game, you need to impose your personality and playing on the defensive end only it's definitely not the way to do it.

The absence of key players like Van Persie and Fellaini was more than counterbalanced by the absence of Gervinho, De Rossi, Maicon and Strootman who are vital for us, therefore they can't even come up with that excuse.

It's still summer so we should wait for the final product to take form, but you guys can rest assured if MU's setting of the game is this one.

P.s. Ucan (the turkish guy) is someone special, once he improves his decision-making he'll be world class. He just oozes charisma from every pore, plus he's a beauty to watch.
Read this gem on blue moon.:lol:

Did he even see our team sheet for the second half? :lol: Still bitter with the 7-1 it seems.

Trizy

Did he even see our team sheet for the second half? :lol: Still bitter with the 7-1 it seems.
I'm actually not sure if he's serious or not because not only the Fellaini comment but why post it on a Man City forum? :houllier:

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

:lol: Exactly.

When the more gifted players (Totti-Pjanic-Ljajic) entered the pitch in the 2nd half the game ended instantly, the technical discrepancy between the two teams was huge, I'm not kidding it was seriuously disconcerting.
When Totti and Pjanic came on, it was around the 70minute mark and both teams had made all their subs. Let's compare the teams then (though some I've listed won't be in the positions they played in during the match as I'm not sure):

Amos

Blackett M.Keane Smalling
Young ---------------- Shaw
Kagawa Lingard
Nani
W.Keane Hernandez

Skorupski

Somma Benatia Castan Cole
Ucan Pjanic Nainggolan
Destro Totti Ljajic

They've got players in their actual positions as well as more players from their expected starting XI for the coming season (5 or so) compared to our 1-2. We had four out of position and no central midfielders too.

The absence of key players like Van Persie and Fellaini was more than counterbalanced by the absence of Gervinho, De Rossi, Maicon and Strootman who are vital for us, therefore they can't even come up with that excuse.
Christ :lol:

Dudebro

Can be a shitty fan on a WUM. That's rawk level of delusion. Everyone on Rawk and Bluemoon is bitter about the coverage our pre-season matches are getting as compared to them. It's simple cnuts we are a far bigger club that you two combined especially those lottery winners City.

If our goals were random then what about the one that Pjanic scored? :lol:

Seriously can't wait for this season. I hope we're the ones having the last laugh.

Last edited:

Trizy

Can be a shitty fan on a WUM. That's rawk level of delusion. Everyone on Rawk and Bluemoon is bitter about the coverage our pre-season matches are getting as compared to them. It's simple cnuts we are a far bigger club that you two combined especially those lottery winners City.

Seriously can't wait for this season. I hope we're the ones having the last laugh.

Was on RAWK earlier and they're well annoyed about the attention we're getting alright. Best one's I've seen is when we best LA Galaxy 7-0 a few of them were saying ''wait til they play Roma!'' after Roma beat them 1-0. As soon as we beat Roma then it changed it ''its only a friendly, who cares?''

I know they're only friendlies but its nice to win them considering we're going out of our way to watch them and being treated to goal fests and cracking goals is nice too.

AndyMUFC

It wasn't amazing but we won through the individual brilliance of Rooney and Mata, those two will thrive in this new formation.

The defence still needs a bit of work with it though and the likes of Nani and Young just don't suit the positions they were tried in at all. Think they need to go if we're gonna play like this. They're not even that good as wingers, nevermind as square pegs in round holes.

Acole9

Outstanding
A better match to watch than the last game but we was playing opposition which are more or less at our level. Second half we didn't play as well but I put that down to all the substitutions.

detinUnaM

Are you kidding me? This Blackett criticism is far from just.
From what I saw I thought Blackett did not communicate well with either goalkeeper or the defender next to him. I am not saying he is not a good defender, just pointing out that he needs to adjust to this system and communicate more. I felt their striker Destro stuck to Blackett most of the time and tried to make runs off him.

ChaddyP

their 2 goals were scored from a blunder from our 3rd choice goal keeper and from a penalty that shouldnt have been given. we scored 2 wonderful goals from open play and got a penalty from quick incisive passing that forced em to take us out .

lvg handed them a handi cap in the second half.. we took off all our best players and all of our cm's while they put on senior players in the squad. and guess what happened!!!! they started to control things :eek:

as a poster said ... clearly he's bitter from the 7 -1 :rolleyes:

Moriarty

I'm actually not sure if he's serious or not because not only the Fellaini comment but why post it on a Man City forum? :houllier:
I think some of them feel some sort of solidarity with the bitters on the basis of "my enemy's enemy is my friend." After the aggro of a few seasons ago, I'm guessing that the poster is looking for a bit of sympathy and doesn't care where he finds it.

Dudebro

their 2 goals were scored from a blunder from our 3rd choice goal keeper and from a penalty that shouldnt have been given. we scored 2 wonderful goals from open play and got a penalty from quick incisive passing that forced em to take us out .

lvg handed them a handi cap in the second half.. we took off all our best players and all of our cm's while they put on senior players in the squad. and guess what happened!!!! they started to control things :eek:

as a poster said ... clearly he's bitter from the 7 -1 :rolleyes:
me me me :p

Yeah and everyone on the shiity forum are appreciating his post as if it was written by Jesus himself. They're like "yeah we knew that", "great post", "mancs suxxxx" etc . Small time Wankers :lol:

Loublaze

ATLien
From what I saw I thought Blackett did not communicate well with either goalkeeper or the defender next to him. I am not saying he is not a good defender, just pointing out that he needs to adjust to this system and communicate more. I felt their striker Destro stuck to Blackett most of the time and tried to make runs off him.
It will be interesting to see how he LVG uses him and Reece during the season. They are both 20 (Reece will be 21 this season) so I expect them to at least be involved in the Carling cup. Blackett could be a good fringe player, kinda like Martins Indi.

Amz89

:lol: Exactly.

When Totti and Pjanic came on, it was around the 70minute mark and both teams had made all their subs. Let's compare the teams then (though some I've listed won't be in the positions they played in during the match as I'm not sure):

Amos

Blackett M.Keane Smalling
Young ---------------- Shaw
Kagawa Lingard
Nani
W.Keane Hernandez

Skorupski

Somma Benatia Castan Cole
Ucan Pjanic Nainggolan
Destro Totti Ljajic

They've got players in their actual positions as well as more players from their expected starting XI for the coming season (5 or so) compared to our 1-2. We had four out of position and no central midfielders too.

Christ :lol:

Hello new member here! Long time browser first time poster, hopefully more to follow. Can't wait for this season to kick off.

I've read some of the comments here and I think a lot of them are product of bias, which is expected on this forum. In my opinion we were poor, we played a team where it's team consisted of 5 youngsters including KEITA and Emanuelson. The only players I recall seeing start a competitive match against for roma was benatia and destro.

We won which is always good but at the same time I think there are a whole host of negatives. Pre season should be about gelling and performance I didn't see much by way of performance today. Until the goal we couldn't get hold of the ball, we were being pressed and hurried by a team who had only started pre season a week or so ago.

I didn't see anything productive in the first half barring two pieces of magic from Rooney. We need to improve and vastly.

Just my two cents

Saxman

There was some good one touch passing moves in the first half. I don't think we can really judge much from the second half as most of the players probably won't even play a game for us.
Exactly and you must also remember that you can't expect them to be playing like barca already. They need to adjust from the English style nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.