Manchester United vs FC Barcelona (International Champions Cup)

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Pedro's pace instead of Mata on right can be great for counter. Mata is good for linkup though and for those delightful passes like the one to Young. Depending on opposition we can choose the front 3. I will like someone more quality instead of Young on left too, even though he is doing so admirably well right now. He can be v.good backup but we need someone level above on that side too.

Nice performance though. Barca are understrength and not fully up to the rhythm as they have played 1 less game than us but still United put on quite admirable performance in this half.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
The thing that annoys me the most is that no one makes himself available for the ball and everyone hides as far away as possible, resulting in us losing the ball constantly.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Barca could've scored 5. We've been okay but this team is not the way forward. Defence is needing improved, as is attacking positions.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I thought Memphis looked good.

A few nice touches in build up, made some great runs that went unnoticed and looks strong and comfortable on the ball.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Nice half, thought Barcelona were a bit unfortunate. The Vermaelen/Pique pairing looks very uneasy, Adriano doing his best to scupper his Roma move and Rafinha being played as a wide forward - some strange things. Pitch is pretty ridiculous, not sure how this was allowed to happen once again - these tours are poorly organized to allow a dangerous surface for the players.

poisson

broken record, best ignored.
I hope he doesn't play depay as a striker all season! Would like to see him on the wings!

Hoof the ball

A lot of what we try to do doesn't look natural or fluid.

We did well to get a few chances, but analytically, we didn't deserve much. We lost most 50-50's; passing was very, very sloppy. Rooney doesn't hold up the ball that well. Movement off the ball doesn't present many passing opportunities to keep possession. We're closer to full strength than Barca, which is a little worrying, because if they had Messi, Neymar, Rakitic, Mascherano, new signings et al, they'd have punished us.

I don't think LvG will be too happy with the exception of the actual scoreline. He likes to control games and although they're sloppy enough to be countered, we're not doing enough to limit our passing errors (which are many).

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
for anyone moaning about our play, what do you make of Pedro.

I saw him take Mata out cynically, but apart from that forgot he was there.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Blind has been pretty good so far. Shaw again has been the highlight. We've got very good fullbacks this season.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Shit half imo, barcas players are so much on song together than we are.
And get are one down and we look just as likely to score as they do. Unfortunately pretty much everyone looks shit when playing Barca, decent half IMO.

FromTheBench

Shaw's late bursts from behind Young are epic.

He comes so quick any defence doesn't seem to know what to do.

Welbeckham

Young is one of our best players. Most of our attacks come through him.
Why would you want to replace him?
Not necessarily him, but I just think Herrera and Mata combining is one of our best assets, and I really wouldn't want that taken off. But it could work otherwise, it's possible.

Walters_19_MuFc

Good half. Was expected that Barca would have the majority of possession, regardless of what system and personnel we put out. Apart from the first and last 5 mins, where Barca looked pretty dangerous, I felt we've always had things under control. We've pressed the ball as a team very well and intelligently, which has led to Barca playing long balls and often over or under hitting the pass, we've looked a threat on the counter, and at times we've kept the ball under pressure pretty well, although we could have been better.

P.S. Carrick is class.

Kounan

Why not try Mata in the middle and Depay and Young on the wings, as we are clearly playing on the counter attack, so it should make more sense.

worldinmotion66

I haven't been too impressed with Depay, Jones, Schneiderlin, Rooney.

Think the RB, LB, Young done really well.

Midfield seems to have lost focus in last 15 minutes. Chasing Shadows.
Agree with this. Think Blind has generally looked decent too, and we know how good De Gea is.

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
I guess we weren't that bad. Scoreline aside, we showed composure and the midfield held its own most of the half. The defence was shaky as expected with this new set up, so I'm not worried about that. Lucho should put on Samper and Rakitic in the second half.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Barca could've scored 5. We've been okay but this team is not the way forward. Defence is needing improved, as is attacking positions.
They haven't had many more chances than us. Load of shite.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Um really worried with Rooney as our number one striker this season. Good half overall. Memphis was great to watch.
he did score the goal though right, reading all these posts id thought I'd hallucinated it.

Truedevil

Would love to see Memphis on the left, i feel he could be more effective there.

Irrational.

for anyone moaning about our play, what do you make of Pedro.

I saw him take Mata out cynically, but apart from that forgot he was there.
His crosses into the box have been very dangerous, and his tracking back is excellent. He fits the profile of an LVG-style player far more than someone like Di Maria.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
I guess we weren't that bad. Scoreline aside, we showed composure and the midfield held its own most of the half. The defence was shaky as expected with this new set up, so I'm not worried about that. Lucho should put on Samper and Rakitic in the second half.
Isnt that almost always the case of Barcelona holding their own in midfield ?

Crashoutcassius

Our game plan is a bit like vs arsenal (when we should have lost 5-0) but we look a lot lot more solid than back then... De Gea has only had to keep us in the game 2 times rather than 5... but counter attacking idea seems the same. Rooney's touch has let us down a few times on the break but maybe we'll get lucky this half and get depay through on goal

Ixion

Jones always seems on the verge of making a mistake. Wish Smalling was on instead.