Manchester United vs Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam

Refreshing really. I'm seeing some bite in our midfield after a long long time.
It was quite strange watching us keep the ball so easily for more then 30 seconds at a time. I'd forgotten what that was like.

GRon

It was quite strange watching us keep the ball so easily for more then 30 seconds at a time. I'd forgotten what that was like.
Add to that, Herrera actually tackling in midfield letting people know he's there a la Keane.

Sam

Btw, what was the ratio of United/Liverpool fans? I kept hearing Gerrard getting booed everytime he went to take a corner, but nothing when it was one of our players.

Rezyuz

I think you're right. It's crazy though up top. We still have RvP and Januzaj to return as well!
Januzaj will have a hard time if LVG holds on to this 352 system cuz i really really don't see him as a fullback and the 10 spot is overloaded. RvP will be the number 1 striker, thats not even up for debate.

MorraGambit

I disagree - I just think he's too eager to impress, and it's making him nervous as hell. £4m is nothing nowadays, lets be honest.

Overall, I don't think we were outplayed today. Ashley Young & Coutinho MOTM for their respective teams. Good to see no-one picked up an injury...

Bah, just sick of waiting for the season to start.
You forgot Valencia :nono:

Edit: or you mean for Liverpool?

Oneunited26

Januzaj will have a hard time if LVG holds on to this 352 system cuz i really really don't see him as a fullback and the 10 spot is overloaded. RvP will be the number 1 striker, thats not even up for debate.
The way Rooney has been responding, he looks like the number 1 striker, had a good pre season fit and firing. I do not think it's set in stone VP is nailed down has the number 1

0ne-eyed_joe

Yeah, we've all of a sudden got a situation where an out 'n out winger probably won't get a game and a player like Januzaj has even less chance after being forced out wide for obvious reasons.

I never expected that he'd have this problem seeing as he was one of the few players who had a relatively good season under Moyes.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
First half was a bit shit, especially the back 3 and Fletcher. Well more like the first 20 minutes, after that they settled a bit and we kept the ball well but didn't really make any chances. Second half was much better, we pressed higher up the pitch, and stopped giving the ball away in dangerous positions. Pretty comfortable second half in the end from us. Only a pre season game of course, but already night and day from last season. Some of our plays and goals are really nice, and that's only going to get better.

0ne-eyed_joe

I was annoyed by the first half but I think it was indicative of just how much damage was done to the teams' confidence last year.
We looked so nervous and made lots of mistakes but at the same time I still believed that we were the better side because Liverpool seemed to be just feeding off our errors.

I was also encouraged by our persistence in the tactics Van Gaal seems to have given us and it gave me the impression we could still win it. I honestly think that once we build some more self belief we will be a very potent and title challenging side.

Brendon has improved the scouse no end and I don't mind crediting him that but I doubt they have the quality to challenge for honours this season. I also noticed that they didn't seem to have a plan B and Bren-Dog didn't appear to address the fact that they were a long way from controlling the game.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Thought it was a great test. Was good to see us put under pressure at the back and be forced into mistakes and have to deal with being on the backfoot. A lot won't agree with me on that but I feel it's something that we need to get experience in under this system.

Was a positive to see us work our way back into the game and a few very good performances. Oh and to beat the scousers.

0ne-eyed_joe

Think of it this way.. If united lost, he will drop his pants for everyone to see...
I'm sure they heard what happened to Luca Toni.
When I consider the stories about Van Gaal it makes me wonder: Are there any other managers out there who could be as intimidating for millionaire footballers as LvG and SAF?

I heard Simeone is a bit of a nutter too, are most top managers like them?

Mylifeistooazn

I'm sure they heard what happened to Luca Toni.
When I consider the stories about Van Gaal it makes me wonder: Are there any other managers out there who could be as intimidating for millionaire footballers as LvG and SAF?

I heard Simeone is a bit of a nutter too, are most top managers like them?
who knows. They would do anything to get their team to winning again...

GRon

The commentator on Fox (Brian Mcbride I think) was stating repeatedly that though Lambert is a world class striker, he is a level below Suarez.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

17nentori

Good game. My concern is the midfield. With this system how many players we have right now. Fletcher Cleverly and Herrerra. Mata and Kagawa are number 10 so I'm not putting them in midfield. If one of the guys above get injuries we can't be flexible in our line up. I'm not for big signs since we have a lot of good players. I can see the young guys can do good in this defense. I don't see any young guy coming up in the midfield. Maybe some left home. I would trust lvg. He may came with same cheap signing in midfield. Personally I will go with young players since we building for next year. Maybe Classie is a good buy for this midfield. He will be cheap and very young. I was thinking today watching the game. Herrera looked very uncomfortable in the first half specially. I don't want Vidal since he may be broken and we have to wait for Strootman to play. Big money here.

17nentori

Good game. My concern is the midfield. With this system how many players we have right now. Fletcher Cleverly and Herrerra. Mata and Kagawa are number 10 so I'm not putting them in midfield. If one of the guys above get injuries we can't be flexible in our line up. I'm not for big signs since we have a lot of good players. I can see the young guys can do good in this defense. I don't see any young guy coming up in the midfield. Maybe some left home. I would trust lvg. He may came with same cheap signing in midfield. Personally I will go with young players since we building for next year. Maybe Classie is a good buy for this midfield. He will be cheap and very young. I was thinking today watching the game. Herrera looked very uncomfortable in the first half specially. I don't want Vidal since he may be broken and we have to wait for Strootman to play. Big money here.
I forgot Carrick. But we have to build for the future.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Blackett quite possibly.

M.Keane - not a friggin chance. So out of his depth at this club..
Keane hasn't shown any of the form he had before he was injured some 2 years ago. With such an injury, I'd want to see him get that form back before giving him a place in the team.

James Wilson is a better option at this point.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Didnt watch it. Decided to read the long report on the Guardian for a neutral's perspective.

Seems Liverpool had the better of it first half with Smalling and Jones struggling with Sterling. However, United turned it around well to win.

One question, what's that third goal all about? Oddest thing I've seen in a while.

Edit: just realised the third was disallowed. Watched it on YouTube

Last edited:

FraserP1

This was the first time on this tour where we played a side that wanted to win.

First half we were poor and Liverpool dictated the play. Liverpool had all the possession and we seemed unable to compete. Only a couple of chances that we failed to put away. Glaring one by Hernandez. Our defence was vulnerable and Jones did his usual donkey dive-in to give away a penalty.

We only looked more positive with open play, when changes were made and the humidity took its effect in the 2nd half. Liverpool's 2nd half substitutions without doubt weakened their midfield and, as a result we had more space. Both Lingard and Mata had time to turn and shoot. We still need to break out quicker from the back, a slow passing game let Liverpool get back to defend. Really glad the Rooney goal was disallowed, that would have been an embarrassment.

There are still many changes to be made if we are to compete in the Premier League. I wonder how many will be leaving before the end of August. For me the leaving should include Jones, Nani, Cleverly and Kagawa. Of those that are not on the tour, Carrick, Fellaini and Anderson. Up front, we have too many options so there will be some good players going as well.

On the plus side we have had a successful pre-season tour. Today we beat the scousers and Gerrard failed to win yet again! We scored from open play and, in midfield at least, we have a stronger presence.

Still a work in progress. I suspect Van Gaal will stop being Mr Nice Guy soon..

GRon

Keane hasn't shown any of the form he had before he was injured some 2 years ago. With such an injury, I'd want to see him get that form back before giving him a place in the team.

I think the previous post referred to the other Keane (Michael not Will).

FromTheBench

I think he was talking about Michael Keane there, which is weird as he has been pretty impressive on tour as well except for just 2 situations vs a sharp Gareth Bale. (Blackett made more errors in the game vs Roma when he started.)

GRon

This was the first time on this tour where we played a side that wanted to win.

First half we were poor and Liverpool dictated the play. Liverpool had all the possession and we seemed unable to compete. Only a couple of chances that we failed to put away. Glaring one by Hernandez. Our defence was vulnerable and Jones did his usual donkey dive-in to give away a penalty.

We only looked more positive with open play, when changes were made and the humidity took its effect in the 2nd half. Liverpool's 2nd half substitutions without doubt weakened their midfield and, as a result we had more space. Both Lingard and Mata had time to turn and shoot. We still need to break out quicker from the back, a slow passing game let Liverpool get back to defend. Really glad the Rooney goal was disallowed, that would have been an embarrassment.

There are still many changes to be made if we are to compete in the Premier League. I wonder how many will be leaving before the end of August. For me the leaving should include Jones, Nani, Cleverly and Kagawa. Of those that are not on the tour, Carrick, Fellaini and Anderson. Up front, we have too many options so there will be some good players going as well.

On the plus side we have had a successful pre-season tour. Today we beat the scousers and Gerrard failed to win yet again! We scored from open play and, in midfield at least, we have a stronger presence.

Still a work in progress. I suspect Van Gaal will stop being Mr Nice Guy soon..

To be fair, he did win the ball there.

Mata scored before Liverpool made any substitutions. Lingard did not turn and shoot. He had a touch though.

It'd be crazy to let any one of the bolded players leave.

khoazany

I think he was talking about Michael Keane there, which is weird as he has been pretty impressive on tour as well except for just 2 situations vs a sharp Gareth Bale. (Blackett made more errors in the game vs Roma when he started.)
Not surprise me.Perhaps the same people that wrote off Fletcher and Evans when they first burst onto the scene.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I think the previous post referred to the other Keane (Michael not Will).
Thanks, he was indeed.

In that case I have to disagree, Michael Keane is the best CB to come through the reserves since Evans. He might not make it, but he's definitely got a shot. I don't think it's fair to say he's out of his depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.