Not open for further replies.

NJM78

------------De Gea
    ----Rafael Jones Evans Young
    ---------Fellaini Carrick
    -----Herrera Rooney Di Maria
    ------------Falcao

Subs - RvP, Mata, Shaw, Januzaj, Wilson, Valencia, Lindegaard

I'd go with this team in a 4231, Fellaini and Carrick in midfield to combat Colback and Tiote. Then go with pace and win this game on the counter as Newcastle will press forward for sure with the players they have.
    For this reason I would drop Mata and RvP as both quite slow and I think Falcao deserves another chance considering he has scored in both the last two games he has started. Can see him scoring again on boxing day.

Think we will win 3-1. Not getting the three points at OT against Newcastle will surely be a big backwards step so this is the type of game we must win imo and keep OT a fortress as it has been since the opening day defeat.

Walters_19_MuFc

------------De Gea
    ----Rafael Jones Evans Young
    ---------Fellaini Carrick
    -----Herrera Rooney Di Maria
    ------------Falcao

Subs - RvP, Mata, Shaw, Januzaj, Wilson, Valencia, Lindegaard

I'd go with this team in a 4231, Fellaini and Carrick in midfield to combat Colback and Tiote. Then go with pace and win this game on the counter as Newcastle will press forward for sure with the players they have.
    For this reason I would drop Mata and RvP as both quite slow and I think Falcao deserves another chance considering he has scored in both the last two games he has started. Can see him scoring again on boxing day.

Think we will win 3-1. Not getting the three points at OT against Newcastle will surely be a big backwards step so this is the type of game we must win imo and keep OT a fortress as it has been since the opening day defeat.
    Tiote's suspended, thankfully, so it should give us a bit more freedom in the middle of the park.

Browniee

De Gea
    Rafael--Jones--Evans--Young
    Carrick
    Herrera--Di Maria
    Rooney
    Falcao--van Persie​
    Yep. Still don't like Evans in there.
    If we don't get 3 points against a confidence low, Depleted Toon side then many questions will be asked. Especially if we field the above team

Gerald G

Yep. Still don't like Evans in there.
    If we don't get 3 points against a confidence low, Depleted Toon side then many questions will be asked. Especially if we field the above team
    Yep don't like Evans there but I don't see any real alternatives at the moment. That side should win and win easily. If not many questions will be asked and should be.

Gerald G

calm down son, we're Manchester United, they ought to be more scared of us.
    We're terrible away from home. Drew with Burnley, West Brom, Villa, Sunderland and lost to Leicester. There is real concern away from home when we can't beat the relegation candidates.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
    We're terrible away from home. Drew with Burnley, West Brom, Villa, Sunderland and lost to Leicester. There is real concern away from home when we can't beat the relegation candidates.
    We won the title a few years ago with a shocking away record.

Just saying!

Obviously I think 3rd is our glass ceiling this year.

Gerald G

Don't forget we beat Arsenal and Southampton away too
    Yep we've done better against the bigger teams away from home but even then the performances weren't great. But we really seem to struggle vs the smaller sides away. I'm a little puzzled.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
    Tiote is suspended for the match against us. I'm not that familiar with him, is that good for us?
    I asked a Newcastle supporting mate that and he thinks it'll be a big loss for them. Abeid would have been his choice of replacement but he's injured, so they'll have to call on Anita who he doesn't rate at all. Or play around with the formation somehow.

Browniee

We won the title a few years ago with a shocking away record.

Just saying!

Obviously I think 3rd is our glass ceiling this year.
    Yep, just along as we qualify for the CL, I'd be happy.
    God I'm a gooner. But yeah 3rd, the title push next season

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
    You don't think we controlled the games against Hull and Stoke?
    I somehow had in my mind he had played vs hull, facepalm....so many injuries!

Hull and stoke at home are 2 games you'd expect us to do ok in anyway given the quality at our respective disposals though, or no? Still have to go and win the games obviously but there would be something quite wrong if we couldn't. I personally think it's going to take more time before it all gels properly but Rooney in midfield, back 5 and weird substitutions aren't helping the style of football improve.

justboy68

4-0. We've done well at home this year and Newcastle are quite a streaky team, after losing at home to Sunderland we will pile on the misery.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
    Team should be...

--------------De Gea--------------
    Valencia--Jones--Evans--Young
    --------------Carrick--------------
    -------Fellaini------Di Maria-------
    --------------Rooney--------------
    ----------RVP--------Falcao----------

Subs: Lindegaard, McNair, Blackett, Fletcher, Herrera, Mata, Wilson

Liking that team!!

Mark_GrumpyLion

I asked a Newcastle supporting mate that and he thinks it'll be a big loss for them. Abeid would have been his choice of replacement but he's injured, so they'll have to call on Anita who he doesn't rate at all. Or play around with the formation somehow.
    I know Anita, he's a Dutch player that isn't exactly rated highly here either. Sounds like a good thing for us.

He Comes From Serbia

Windhelm, contacting the dark brotherhood
    Why has everyone got Young at LB, is it that you don't think Shaw will play? As good as Young has been in the wing back role, I would take Shaw at LB any day, and I'm still pee'd off just how bobbins Young was when shifted to the right in the last game. It was like we watched two completely different players. Bizarre.

Papii Grande

Ideally I'd love to see:
    DDG -Rafael, Smalling, Rojo, Shaw - Carrick , Fellaini, Herrera, Di Maria, Rooney, RVP.

But if it doesn't all happen,
    ONE of Rafael or Shaw HAVE to start. ONE of Smalling or Rojo HAVE to start. Playing all four of Valencia, Young, Evans and Jones again could prove disasterous, we cannot rely on either centre backs, plus that sort of wing-play we horrificallly witnessed last saturday cannot be displayed again. One of each of the pair is bad enough please not all four :(
    That holy grail of a balanced midfield that contains Carrick, Fellaini,Herrera HAS to start together.

RVP was rested so he will definitely start probably best as he and Falcao keep getting in each others spaces, Mata and Rooney cannot both start at the same and Di Maria ...well he has to play.

What will really anger me is if we repeat the mistakes of Leicester .

Gerald G

Why has everyone got Young at LB, is it that you don't think Shaw will play? As good as Young has been in the wing back role, I would take Shaw at LB any day, and I'm still pee'd off just how bobbins Young was when shifted to the right in the last game. It was like we watched two completely different players. Bizarre.
    I think for most it's because they think Shaw won't play. I'm not expecting him to start but it would be great if he did start but I've got him starting the Tottenham game.

do9

Sorry guys, i want diamond too but it will be 352.
    Ddg- jones evans rojo(blackett)- rafael carrick rooney di maria young- falcao rvp.
    But who knows. 2 games in three games. Maybe this game at home lvg will mix it up and left best 11 for sunday ? Who knows. That man is el loco. On positive way.
    My guess if that is a case ,that rvp, rooney and carrick will be on the bench on friday.

tombombadil

I don't know about Shaw's current state of readiness, however by LVG's own admissions Rafael has simply been overlooked in favour of Valencia for at least two matches now. Fitness has not been a prohibitive factor in that quarter for some weeks.
    Oh. I didn't know Rafael was out of favor now. I guess Valencia is more reliable in terms of fitness and red cards.

As for Shaw, physioroom says he's return date is 26th Dec, but not sure if that's return to training or return to first team. I'm guessing it's training since he has been out for so long. So I think he's at least another 2 weeks from now.

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php

The good news is Herrera, Fellaini, Rojo and Smalling will all be back by Sunday. And I think most of them will be match fit enough to slot back in, since most of them weren't out for that long. Maybe a week's training at most.

ManUnitedCanuck

With two matches so tight together, I'd imagine we'll do some chopping and changing over the course of the fixtures. Lineups will be hard to call because I don't think we'll put out our best 11, we'll likely change things up a bit between the two.

Looking forward to getting everyone back and being able to put a good charge together in the second half of the season. The next few matches will be big to maintain third and possibly put pressure above.

minoo-utd

Any injuries updates? we need some C.B back for this( Rojo/Smalling ) they are much better than that Evans.
    And IMO Di Maria must prove what he worth. I wish to see this:
    ----------DDG---------
    Young-----Jones-----Smalling-----Young
    ------------------Carrick-----------------
    --------Herrera--------------Fellaini----
    -----------Rooney----------ADM--------
    --------------------Falcao----------------

buckooo1978

I could see some rotation and Wilson could get a start vrs Newcastle

----------------DDG---------------------
    Valencia-----Jones-----Smalling-----Young
    --------Herrera------------Di Maria-------
    -----------------Rooney-------------------
    -------------Wilson---Falcao---------------

hopefully with Shaw to get some minutes

Getsme

Any injuries updates? we need some C.B back for this( Rojo/Smalling ) they are much better than that Evans.
    And IMO Di Maria must prove what he worth. I wish to see this:
    ----------DDG---------
    Young-----Jones-----Smalling-----Young
    --------Herrera--------------Fellaini----
    -----------Rooney----------ADM--------
    --------------------Falcao----------------
    Not sure Young is that fit to be fair, it's an awful lot to ask of him.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
    I’d like to see a bit of changes knowing we’re facing tough opponents in Spurs and Stoke after this game. Knowing we play Spurs on 28th and Stoke the 1st, we can play the same XI twice in a row with 3 days’ rest, but we’ll have to use our squad for this game. Keep the shape of the team but rest key players, but not too much. I think that one of RVP or Wazza will be rested, and LVG will give some other game time

What I hope

--------------------------------------De Gea--------------------------------------

Rafael---------------------Evans----------Blackett---------------------Shaw

--------------------------------------Fletcher------------------------------------

Januzaj-------------Herrera--------------------Mata--------------Di Maria

----------------------------------------Falcao-------------------------------------

What we’ll see

--------------------------------------De Gea--------------------------------------

--------------------Mc Nair---------Evans-----------Blackett----------------

Rafael------------------------------Carrick------------------------------Young

--------------------------------Mata-----------Fellaini---------------------------

--------------------------------RVP-----------Falcao------------------------------

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
    Please God for Christmas can we have our diamond formation back?

WPMUFC

I'd like to see

----------------DDG--------------------
    Rafa-----Jones-----Blackett------Shaw
    ---------------Carrick-------------------
    -----Herrera-----------Di Maria--------
    -----------------Mata--------------------
    ---------Falcao------------Rooney--------

The midfield V formation with Mata-Herrera- Di Maria was some of the best passing i have seen from MUFC this season. It was almost spooky how easily mata and herrera found passes to each other under constant pressure.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
    I’d like to see a bit of changes knowing we’re facing tough opponents in Spurs and Stoke after this game. Knowing we play Spurs on 28th and Stoke the 1st, we can play the same XI twice in a row with 3 days’ rest, but we’ll have to use our squad for this game. Keep the shape of the team but rest key players, but not too much. I think that one of RVP or Wazza will be rested, and LVG will give some other game time

What I hope

Rafael---------------------Evans----------Blackett---------------------Shaw

--------------------------------------Fletcher------------------------------------

Januzaj-------------Herrera--------------------Mata--------------Di Maria

----------------------------------------Falcao-------------------------------------

What we’ll see

--------------------Mc Nair---------Evans-----------Blackett----------------

Rafael------------------------------Carrick------------------------------Young

--------------------------------Mata-----------Fellaini---------------------------

--------------------------------RVP-----------Falcao------------------------------
    I'm sorry if this sounds offensive, but why would you hope Fletcher starts? He's a great asset to the team in respect to leadership and mentoring players around him etc, but in no way should he be starting if Carrick is available.

red_devil83

As long as Fletcher is nowhere near the team. I love the guy but he's finished at this level.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
    I'm sorry if this sounds offensive, but why would you hope Fletcher starts? He's a great asset to the team in respect to leadership and mentoring players around him etc, but in no way should he be starting if Carrick is available.
    The problem is that Carrick can't play 3 games in 7 days, and we've not Blind, and even if we play Fellaini as a lone 6, who can play as an attacking mid if we have to rest RVP or Roo ?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
    Supports
    Big Days
    Sorry guys, i want diamond too but it will be 352.
    Ddg- jones evans rojo(blackett)- rafael carrick rooney di maria young- falcao rvp.
    But who knows. 2 games in three games. Maybe this game at home lvg will mix it up and left best 11 for sunday ? Who knows. That man is el loco. On positive way.
    My guess if that is a case ,that rvp, rooney and carrick will be on the bench on friday.
    If Rafael, Rojo are playing as well as two CB's in Jones and Evans it will be a back four.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
    The problem is that Carrick can't play 3 games in 7 days, and we've not Blind, and even if we play Fellaini as a lone 6, who can play as an attacking mid if we have to rest RVP or Roo ?
    I'd rather play Blind, and only use Fletcher as a last resort. Or give him total defensive duties and put a decent passer beside him. You are right though, we might not have a choice.

YzWayne

I think against Aston Villa, we witness a few players not able to perform.

Fletcher - He was too slow to control the midfield and did not make any significant forward passes

Evans - Failed to control Benteke for more than once and his decision making is really below his standard.

Mata - Despite playing at his best position, was unable to link well with the strikers nor provide any chances for the team. Seem to be too worried about displacing a pass.

Therefore,

De Gea
    Rafael - Jones - Rojo - Young/Shaw
    Carrick
    Herrera - Fellaini
    Rooney
    Di Maria - Falcao

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Wayne Rooney image Wayne Rooney 86% of 710 votes