Manchester United vs Saudi Atletico Arabia | Carabao Cup Final Build-up Thread (Sun 26 Feb) | Pope suspended, Dubravka cup-tied

Status
Not open for further replies.

bludsucker

This might feel like selective rules from my side but my opinion was that if you get a red in the cup, you should miss the next game (plus the additional punishment for a red). So in this case, Bruno would have been available for today but miss the final.

It just doesn't make sense that you can get suspended in a cup game off yellows but not from reds. The rule needs changing.
What happens if the team whose player gets a red gets eliminated from the competition? He escapes a ban and if he gets sold then he escapes the ban altogether.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
What happens if the team whose player gets a red gets eliminated from the competition? He escapes a ban and if he gets sold then he escapes the ban altogether.
It would be within a season. If you win, you suffer. If not you get banned in the other comps. The idea is you cannot just escape punishment for the competition you get carded in.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I suspect you're not being entirely honest with me here, but this walkover people are anticipating? I hope the players don't have that mindset.
No I’m being genuine! Newcastle will fight like dogs you can guarantee that much. I really think it will be difficult.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Qatar United Vs Saudi Atletico Arabia.
God fecking help us, we'll get mocked for all eternity. Our history and pride traded for disgusting oil money.
Maybe you should go to bed early

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
No I’m being genuine! Newcastle will fight like dogs you can guarantee that much. I really think it will be difficult.
Why would anyone think differently? Going to be a very difficult match.

bazza3727

Qatar United Vs Saudi Atletico Arabia.
God fecking help us, we'll get mocked for all eternity. Our history and pride traded for disgusting oil money.
I don't remember the vegans and vegetarians protesting about disgusting butchers when Louis Edwards pumped money in after Munich!!

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Can see Newcastle appealing the red just to delay the suspension. Everybody knows they won’t win but it does solve their goalkeeper crisis.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Get an early goal and we should be able to sail to safety from there, otherwise could get a bit ugly.

Alexit

We're winning this easily. First trophy of many in the ETH era.

andy0

Can see Newcastle appealing the red just to delay the suspension. Everybody knows they won’t win but it does solve their goalkeeper crisis.

It seems unlikely. I don't know the rules well enough, but in another sport I'm familiar with there is no point in appealing against a rule of the competition.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
No chance. They have to appeal within 48 hours and the panel will reject it within a couple of days from that point. If anything he’ll get an extra game for wasting everyone’s time.

It’s as clear as red as any. If he doesn’t handle it Salah can walk it in the empty net.

Lee565

This is ridiculous how many people via media urging the fa to rip the rule book for Newcastle to play pope, goes to show you what that Arab money can get ya

Donut

This will be a huge confidence boost if we win it, and the opposite if we don’t. Imagine we get past Barca and win this, we’d be flying, probably win another cup.

BuzzKillington

Howe on Karius;

“It would be a magnificent chance for him to rewrite the story of his career,” Howe said. “There’s been loads of stories through the times in football where these things have happened and there’s been a really positive outcome … or not. We can’t predict what that will be.

“But as soon as it happened [Pope’s red card] there was that feeling there’s another story in Karius’s career – another page or chapter to write – and who knows what that chapter will look like. That’s the beauty of football. This unpredictability is what makes it such an amazing thing to watch.”

Is it just me or is that not likely to be the most inspiring speech Karius is likely to hear.

We need to put pressure on him very early. It’s clear, to me at least, there’s not a huge amount of confidence in him up there, more blind hope, and some early wobbles will hopefully set the right tone.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Anyone else absolutely bricking about this game or just me? I just have this ominous feeling that newcastle will shithouse their way to a 0-0, then Karius will have his redemption in the penalties for a geordie win :nervous:

Not to mention they will have an entire week to prepare, meanwhile we will be gassed after Barca.

ShinjiNinja26

I could see this being one of those games where Karius plays out of his skin after everyone celebrating Pope missing the game. Hopefully not and we’ve already put 3 past him by halftime.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Anyone else absolutely bricking about this game or just me? I just have this ominous feeling that newcastle will shithouse their way to a 0-0, then Karius will have his redemption in the penalties for a geordie win :nervous:

Not to mention they will have an entire week to prepare, meanwhile we will be gassed after Barca.
Yeah, think it'd be better to not be in a final just in case we won't win ;)

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups

The last point is the only worry but if we’re at the races we should batter them. Both will be well up for it but one team is significantly better than the other.

Fluctuation0161

The title of this thread is so bad, we are going to get the same when the Qatars buy us. We really should be above it.
Difference is, we are 3rd and are in a cup final, without any new owners.

Newcastle would've been 10th at best and not in a cup final without new ownership.

Big Andy

Bloke
It's blatantly obvious that Karius will be Lev Yashin reincarnated and have the game of his life, and that Rashford will end up having a stinker.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Happy memories of the last time we played the Geordies in a Wembley final. The first goal will be key.

I believe we will win this as we are the better team and in better form, but, I do have a knot in my stomach that Karius has a Les Sealey performance and they nick it through a goal from an unheralded full back!

CM

I could see this being one of those games where Karius plays out of his skin after everyone celebrating Pope missing the game. Hopefully not and we’ve already put 3 past him by halftime.
I'm hoping it shouldn't be a problem, but I do agree that it's much easier for a keeper to come in and have the game of his life than it is for an outfield player to come in and replace a key player.

I'd have preferred if it was Bruno Guimaraes missing (as should've been the case) than Pope, to be honest. Newcastle have proven over the last 3 games that they can't operate without him.

MegadrivePerson

Karius hasn't played a competitive match since February 2021! It beggars belief that he is starting in a cup final!

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Newcastle fans going back to Geordieland on dry trains :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.