Manchester United vs Tottenham (Thu 25th July, 12:30 UK time)

Bestietom

Would love to see this team given 60 minutes.
I think it is our strongest eleven right now.

DDG

AWB Lindelöf Tuanzebe Shaw

McTominay Pogba

Greewood Gomes Martial

Rashford​
Yes would like to see this team start. Greenwood and Gomes compliment each other.

LingiBW

1st half:

Romero

AWB - Bailly - Lindelof - Shaw

Pogba - Mctominay

Greenwood - Lingard - James

Rashford

Subs on 60-70:

De Gea

Tuanzebe - Jones - Rojo - Dalot

Pereira - Fred

Chong - Mata - Gomes

Martial
No to Axel playing RB. Rather have:

De Gea

AWB - Lindelof - Tuanzebe - Shaw

Pogba - McTominay

James - Gomes - Rashford

Martial​

Subs (60-70mins)

Romero

Dalot - Smalling - Jones - Young

Matic

Fred--------Perreira

Lingard ------------------ Chong

Greenwood​

tidraKS

Greenwood - Rashford - Martial will be the attack 100%.

romufc

No to Axel playing RB. Rather have:

De Gea

AWB - Lindelof - Tuanzebe - Shaw

Pogba - McTominay

James - Gomes - Rashford

Martial​

Subs (60-70mins)

Romero

Dalot - Smalling - Jones - Young

Matic

Fred--------Perreira

Lingard ------------------ Chong

Greenwood​

I would agree with this. Lets start with what we think is the strongest line-up against a Prem team. A good test because Spurs press too, and good footballing side.
I doubt Ole will start Gomes, with the loyalty to Lingard, I suspect he will start.

tidraKS

De Gea
AWB - Bailly - Lindelof - Shaw

Fred - McTominay

Pogba
Greenwood ----------- Martial

Rashford
Personally I'd love to see this.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
No idea how Poch will line up, started off with pretty much a youth side against Juve only 3-4 first teamers starting.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
De Gea
Wan Bissaka Smalling Tuanzebe Shaw
McTominay Pogba
Greenwood Gomes Martial
Rashford

Pereira
Dalot Jones Bailly Young
Matic Fred
James Mata/Pereira Chong
Lingard​

Hoping Gomes gets the start or a decent amount of time. Same with Greenwood. Good to see how he gets on vs a top team. Lindelof I'm guessing we'll rest after the knock, one of Pereira/Mata to miss out this game? Should be good though.

bosnian_red

Anyone willing to give me a bit of a run down on them? I've known about Tahith Chong and Angel Gomes as they were very highly rated at 15/16 but I haven't really paid attention to their development since then. I know almost nothing about Garner. Anyone think he's got a shot at playing in your midfield this season as it looks a little light at this current moment?
Greenwood - 17 year old Van Persie, IMO will be a starter by the end of the season but because of age understandable to take it easy. Injuries and how he deals with the step up in expectations/fame/etc will be the only limitations, no indications that any of that is a problem but it's always a question mark at that age. Has all the talent and physical attributes to reach the top though.

Angel Gomes - immensely talented, looks very mature on the pitch and really hard to take the ball off of and makes smart passes and a great first touch. Looks like he'd suit the classic Barca style as an advanced midfielder with his play style. Tiny in size though, might be protected and only used as a bit part player for a while because of that (similar to Lingard not actually breaking through until like 22 because of his size, though Gomes is far more talented). Contract out next summer I think, and Barca's been rumored to be sniffing, so important to give him a role so he stays.
Play style comparison - a smaller David Silva?

Tahith Chong - 19 years old so a bit more developed. Looks incredibly thin but is very pacey, plays like a classic winger/young Ryan Giggs. Being that play style though leads to inconsistency. Would definitely need to bulk up a decent amount to deal with the premier league IMO, but raw attributes are all there to be an excellent winger, though with wingers, it's always how they deal with inconsistency/decision making. Nani had the talent to be world class but only had 1 or 2 top seasons. I'd guess he either goes on loan to Bundesliga or he stays and gets game time as a squad player but nothing more as of yet. In terms of guarantee of talent I'd have him behind Greenwood and Gomes, but capable of being a brilliant winger if he can handle the physicality and if his decision making improves as he develops (not so much a problem now, just a normal problem with all young wingers).

James Garner - only 17, which as a holding/controlling mid means hes a bit away from any role IMO. Rare to see those types break through til their 20's. Looks talented, creative, a very good passer from deep, just doubt he'll have any role past the odd sub appearance.

Dean Henderson - was one of the top keepers in the championship last year, probably back on loan to Sheffield to be a premier league starter. Highly rated, long term view of eventually replacing De Gea, but De Gea is only 28 I think, not exactly old for a keeper.

Axel Tuanzebe - Mourinho loved him, had a good year at Villa, they wanted him back on loan but looking like Ole wants him to stay this year. IMO if we sign Maguire he'd be 4th choice CB (Maguire, Lindelof, Smalling, Tuanzebe). Talented as a ball playing defender, being young the concerns are handling premier league physicality and dealing with the aerial threats which will take time to get used to.

So a summary:
  • Greenwood - 17 y.o., starter by end of the year
  • Angel Gomes - 18 y.o., can be squad player this year, talent to be top player
  • Tahith Chong - 19 y.o., can be squad player, talent to be top player
  • Axel Tuanzebe - 21 y.o., squad player at United, premier league starting level
  • Dean Henderson - 22 y.o., premier league starting level
  • James Garner - 17 y.o., highly rated, probably years away from actually breaking through because his style of play

TRUERED89

Glaston was saying it in another thread, think it was the Eriksen one.
Well I guess they beat Juve 3-2 few days ago, but cant really get too boosted by pre-season games. LVG beat everyone during pre-season too; didn't mean jack in the end..

Glaston was saying it in another thread, think it was the Eriksen one.
Glaston is the one who ruins it for everyone. Have found the spurs fans on here generally quite well reasoned and thoughtful.

@GlastonSpur is just on the wind up, and intentionally creates conflict with his outrageous claims and financial analysis - and clearly on a Utd forum, Utd fans will bite back.

... anyway, hopefully we continue to see a progression of OGS’ team and methodology. Should be a good workout, that’s all that matters - and we can do without the inevitable micro analysis at the end of the match. It’s pre-season.

Smores

Wouldn't be surprised if he moved towards playing more of the senior lot as i doubt he'll start many of the youth against Chelsea.

He didn't fancy them a few month ago in our meaningless games so are a few preseason games going to convince him to suddenly start against a top team? Doubt it, we'll maybe see Greenwood of the bench.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Greenwood - 17 year old Van Persie, IMO will be a starter by the end of the season but because of age understandable to take it easy. Injuries and how he deals with the step up in expectations/fame/etc will be the only limitations, no indications that any of that is a problem but it's always a question mark at that age. Has all the talent and physical attributes to reach the top though.

Angel Gomes - immensely talented, looks very mature on the pitch and really hard to take the ball off of and makes smart passes and a great first touch. Looks like he'd suit the classic Barca style as an advanced midfielder with his play style. Tiny in size though, might be protected and only used as a bit part player for a while because of that (similar to Lingard not actually breaking through until like 22 because of his size, though Gomes is far more talented). Contract out next summer I think, and Barca's been rumored to be sniffing, so important to give him a role so he stays.
Play style comparison - a smaller David Silva?

Tahith Chong - 19 years old so a bit more developed. Looks incredibly thin but is very pacey, plays like a classic winger/young Ryan Giggs. Being that play style though leads to inconsistency. Would definitely need to bulk up a decent amount to deal with the premier league IMO, but raw attributes are all there to be an excellent winger, though with wingers, it's always how they deal with inconsistency/decision making. Nani had the talent to be world class but only had 1 or 2 top seasons. I'd guess he either goes on loan to Bundesliga or he stays and gets game time as a squad player but nothing more as of yet. In terms of guarantee of talent I'd have him behind Greenwood and Gomes, but capable of being a brilliant winger if he can handle the physicality and if his decision making improves as he develops (not so much a problem now, just a normal problem with all young wingers).

James Garner - only 17, which as a holding/controlling mid means hes a bit away from any role IMO. Rare to see those types break through til their 20's. Looks talented, creative, a very good passer from deep, just doubt he'll have any role past the odd sub appearance.

Dean Henderson - was one of the top keepers in the championship last year, probably back on loan to Sheffield to be a premier league starter. Highly rated, long term view of eventually replacing De Gea, but De Gea is only 28 I think, not exactly old for a keeper.

Axel Tuanzebe - Mourinho loved him, had a good year at Villa, they wanted him back on loan but looking like Ole wants him to stay this year. IMO if we sign Maguire he'd be 4th choice CB (Maguire, Lindelof, Smalling, Tuanzebe). Talented as a ball playing defender, being young the concerns are handling premier league physicality and dealing with the aerial threats which will take time to get used to.

So a summary:
  • Greenwood - 17 y.o., starter by end of the year
  • Angel Gomes - 18 y.o., can be squad player this year, talent to be top player
  • Tahith Chong - 19 y.o., can be squad player, talent to be top player
  • Axel Tuanzebe - 21 y.o., squad player at United, premier league starting level
  • Dean Henderson - 22 y.o., premier league starting level
  • James Garner - 17 y.o., highly rated, probably years away from actually breaking through because his style of play
Awesome. Thanks.

So no midfielders coming through that could get playing time this season?

bosnian_red

Awesome. Thanks.

So no midfielders coming through that could get playing time this season?
McTominay should get a bigger role (probably directly replacing Matic), Pereira should have a bigger role (don't think he's ultimately aware enough to do that in the premier league), Fred you would expect can't be as bad, Gomes being a #10/advanced playmaker type... but not really. CB needs sorting out for us, as does right wing, but we do have promising youth in both. Midfield is where I don't see anything realistically that can change drastically this season or next with what we have, other than McTominay improving (but even then, to what extent?). So it's definitely a concern and why I think Ole wants Longstaff.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
More than Poch has won mate, although he has got you on equal footing with Bayern and Juve. ;)
Didn't say it wasn't. The statement the guy I quoted made was that neither have won a meaningful trophy, and that's absolutely the case.

They both still have a lot to prove as managers. Ole more so, but Pochettino is still far from the finished deal and I think he would admit that himself.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Didn't say it wasn't. The statement the guy I quoted made was that neither have won a meaningful trophy, and that's absolutely the case.

They both still have a lot to prove as managers. Ole more so, but Pochettino is still far from the finished deal and I think he would admit that himself.
I know mate, I'm only playing.
In all seriousness though, of course the Norweigan league is a meaningful trophy.
Not compared to the premier league or the cups of course, but it's still winning a league.
I'd argue winning any trophy is meaningful, to some extent anyway.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I know mate, I'm only playing.
In all seriousness though, of course the Norweigan league is a meaningful trophy.
Not compared to the premier league or the cups of course, but it's still winning a league.
I'd argue winning any trophy is meaningful, to some extent anyway.
It's not meaningful in terms of elite European football. It's less meaningful than managers having won the championship for example, and no top side would hire a manager because he succeeded in the championship.

I mean the Norwegian League is what, the 25th best league in the world? It's obviously meaningful to some people, but it's not remotely comparable to success of any kind in a top division, let alone reaching the final of Europe's most prestigious cup competition. People do love to beat the trophy drum but a degree of sense needs to be applied to it, Eddie Howe boasts a championship trophy but would anybody claim that makes him a more successful manager than Pochettino?

SirAnderson

Hows folk feeling regarding our pre-season form? I remember when we won every game pre-season and started the season woefully. Hopefully this game will give us more options to explore for our main 11 come start of the season.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
No you didnt explain, I outlined your hyprocisy, and you've just plowed ahead with it anyway. I wasn't discussing their fortunate after the finals. Why would I discuss that? Nice strawman.

Wait. You admit they had a 'poor start' and yet you say Poch was tactically 'perfect,' that if was a 'masterclass.' You argue they weren't inconsistent. Yup. Flawless logic.
No teams are perfect, Pep and Klopp produced some tactical masterclass leading up to the finals, yet they were susceptible to some poor performance. It doesn’t mean that because of those performance that we can ignore the good ones. Similarly, Pochettino produce a lot of tactical masterclass leading up to the finals, yet you are only focused on the performance that some Spurs players were not at their best. It is hard to argue against the fact that what pochettino did with that Spurs side was remarkable last season.

Going through purely on the back of a double deflection isn't fortunate? Having to rely on other teams to do you favours isn't fortunate? Sure chief.

Inter finished 4th in the league behind bleedin' Atlanta, and over 20 points behind Juve. :lol: This isn't the 90s you know. It was no more difficult than group C, E and H. They should have advanced, comfortably. Failure to do so would have been considered very poor, and to have to rely on other teams to do him favours demonstrates how periously close that came to reality.
They still had to create those chances and produce the results needed to go through. If they were fortunate, they would have been found out long before reaching the finals yet, they weren’t. In fact, it was the opposite and they were able to dominate teams that are supposedly not superior to and also do things that most other clubs wouldn’t be able to do. Inter is a tough team and showed more effective performance in the cup competition than in the league. You can’t compare inter to the likes of Young boys, AEK, Pilsen and so on. That is just ludicrous.

My focus is on the whole tournament, due to your claim it was a tactical masterclass. If you don't want to discuss the whole tournament then don't make claims relating to the whole tournament? Again, you've claim Spurs were unfortunate in the final but flatly refuse to apply that same logic throughout the rest of the tournament. You've ignored my point yet again that they were within 10 minutes of going out on FIVE separate occasions because, yet again, it doesn't fit your warped perception of what actually happened.

So mate... Perfection hey? Masterclass hey? Poch's mum hey?
I am discussing the whole tournament:lol:. You are the one only focusing on the group stage :lol: Spurs knockout performance were way better than the ones in the group stage, so I am not surprised that you will focused more on that aspect. How many times has sir Alex teams scores last minute equalizer or winners? It is not about being fortunate, but more so about showing the required grit and mentality to achieve the desired results. That mentality is what champions are made of and is not about just being fortunate. Pochettino produced tactical masterclass many times leading up to the finals and in the finals. It was more so perfection than imperfection.

Is @Amadaeus a United Fan or a Spurs fan? :houllier:
United fan of course. Why would I be a Spurs fan? Even though, I have called for United to sign Pochettino while he was at Southampton, and also Sir Alex seemed to want him at United as well, Spurs was fortunate that they were able to get such a great manager. It is good to know that I was right about how his career would pan out even before he was regarded highly.

Last edited:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
No teams are perfect, Pep and Klopp produced some tactical masterclass leading up to the finals, yet they were susceptible to some poor performance. It doesn’t mean that because of those performance that we can ignore the good ones. Similarly, Pochettino produce a lot of tactical masterclass leading up to the finals, yet you are only focused on the performance that some Spurs players were not at their best. It is hard to argue against the fact that what pochettino did with that Spurs side was remarkable last season.

They still had to create those chances and produce the results needed to go through. If they were fortunate, they would have been found out long before reaching the finals yet, they weren’t. In fact, it was the opposite and they were able to dominate teams that are supposedly not superior to and also do things that most other clubs wouldn’t be able to do. Inter is a tough team and showed more effective performance in the cup competition than in the league. You can’t compare inter to the likes of Young boys, AEK, Pilsen and so on. That is just ludicrous.

I am discussing the whole tournament:lol:. You are the one only focusing on the group stage :lol: Spurs knockout performance were way better than the ones in the group stage, so I am not surprised that you will focused more on that aspect. How many times has sir Alex teams scores last minute equalizer or winners? It is not about being fortunate, but more so about showing the required grit and mentality to achieve the desired results. That mentality is what champions are made of and is not about just being fortunate. Pochettino produced tactical masterclass many times leading up to the finals and in the finals. It was more so perfection than imperfection.

United fan of course. Why would I be a Spurs fan? Even though, I have called for United to sign Pochettino while he was at Southampton, and also Sir Alex seemed to want him at United as well, Spurs was fortunate that they were able to get such a great manager. It is good to know that I was right about how his career would pan out even before he was regarded highly.
I see... :rolleyes: we weren’t fortunate, we sold him a project and he took it, you aided that by taking Van Gal of course.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Pochettino is great. Levy is very, very lucky he struck gold with him as a manager because otherwise his strategy recently wouldn't have worked at all. 99% of managers would have failed to build what Pochettino has under the circumstances he's been subjected to. I don't know many managers in world football who would be happy having zero net spend season after season whilst having to keep a club in the CL and still getting criticised for a lack of trophies.

That said, I'm pretty sure @Amadaeus fancies him. It's ok, with his new suits and a fresh trim last season he was looking pretty fly.

0le

Pochettino is great. Levy is very, very lucky he struck gold with him as a manager because otherwise his strategy recently wouldn't have worked at all. 99% of managers would have failed to build what Pochettino has under the circumstances he's been subjected to. I don't know many managers in world football who would be happy having zero net spend season after season whilst having to keep a club in the CL and still getting criticised for a lack of trophies.

That said, I'm pretty sure @Amadaeus fancies him. It's ok, with his new suits and a fresh trim last season he was looking pretty fly.
Wenger was another one and towards the end he didn't really get the praise he deserved. Arsenal have become worse than a joke, but at least for many years, he got them into the CL.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

I’m not criticising him, I’m just saying I don’t like a trophy Andy he has found him self in a good position a couple of time in the FA cup and once on the biggest stage (the one he really wants). I love the guy I do, but he is not without his flaws.

AshRK

Wenger was another one and towards the end he didn't really get the praise he deserved. Arsenal have become worse than a joke, but at least for many years, he got them into the CL.
It's ironic how the likes of DT from AFTV constantly blames Wenger. I agree wenger should have gone much earlier but not many managers would have been able to take them to top given how little they spend. Emery is finding it our hard way.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I’m not criticising him, I’m just saying I don’t like a trophy Andy he has found him self in a good position a couple of time in the FA cup and once on the biggest stage (the one he really wants). I love the guy I do, but he is not without his flaws.
Every manager has flaws, and no manager in the world is going to build title/cl winning teams without significant investment in to the team. Had he been at a team where he had proper backing to bring in plenty of players of his own (as maybe we're starting to see now) I have no doubt we would have trophies to our name.

But yeah, he's made some of his own mistakes, particular in cup competitions. I find it hard to begrudge him for those mistakes though because the amount of times he has to make do/get inventive because he's clearly been told signings are off the table is unreal.