Manchester United vs Valencia (Pre-season Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Don't really understand why people are moaning that this game is close to our season opener on Saturday. The game is on Tuesday and being a friendly I doubt none of the starting 11 will finish the game. It's good preparation for the players.
Is Van Persie back and training for this?
He's only been training for a few days, so no he won't play. Probably won't play the first game or two of the season, at least from the start.

In Rainbows

I don't see where I said he swapped no 10 position with Kagawa in the Westbrom game. Didn't say Kagawa played in the no 10 role in that game either. The point is Kagawa was our best player in that game, yet was subbed out for Januzaj who had an average game.
People tends to forget Kagawa never had consistent game time at the start of the season. He might played 45-60 mins today and the week after, he would be on the bench even when he had a good game like he had in the Swansea game yet was benched for the Chelsea game. He wasn't even allowed to complete the whole 90 mins, even when he was playing well like the Westbrom and Westham games. It was only in the latter stage of last season Moyes started to play him consistently and he was our best player in that month.
What I don't get is why our fans keep saying he had a poor season when he only had 14 starts out of 38 games the team played last season. And out the 14 starts, he was played twice in a flat 2-man midfield which makes those games redundant by the way. And despite being shuffled around different position, he still had good performance against Westham, Westbrom, Newcastles, Norwich, Aston Villa and Swansea and was overall our best player in the UCL. So tell me, how he had a poor season?
If we compare his wing performance to Mata's wing performance for us, he's been better and even when his central role is compared to Mata's, he's also been better.
That aside, there's more to no 10 role than individual performance Januzaj tends to have in that role. It entails not only linking the midfield to attack but creating space through intelligent movement, awareness and good decision making when passing. That's why Lingard would always been better in that role than Januzaj. Just like Isco, him and Januzaj are all about making individual highlights but when it comes to knitting the play together as a team, they are found short no 10s.
The West Brom match was one game. I agree Kagawa was looking especially dangerous that game and shouldn't have been taken out. That was Januzaj's 2nd match with a good amount of minutes and his first match where United were losing. He looked shaky because of how nervous he was. He was so nervous he even miscontrolled a throw in that match. Once he settled in though he looked dangerous going past players for fun and almost scoring in that match. I also agree that Kagawa was unfairly treated by Moyes and being dropped for the Chelsea match was an example of this. That still doesn't mean he was better than Januzaj last season or that he had a great season. Kagawa would be the first one to tell you he wasn't up to his high standards and yes Moyes takes a large part of the blame for failing to get the team to play modern football.

I also disagree that the team looked more fluid under him than Mata. Maybe you're thinking of Rooney and I would agree that I prefer Kagawa behind the striker than Rooney despite Rooney's end product. Rooney tends to look to the right wing too often, has games where his touch deserts him, and sometimes either drops too deep or occupies the striker's area too often. Mata though? Mata does what Kagawa does while also having more end product.

And how exactly does Januzaj not link the midfield better than Lingard in the #10 position? What proof do you have when you haven't seen Lingard in the PL? Januzaj did a good job doing that for the reserves. As he becomes more experienced he will learn to operate in the central areas much better than he was at 18 years of age.

It honestly feels like I'm being too harsh on Kagawa, but I'm really not. I'm a big fan of his, but I don't like how some fans act like he's flawless.

jason93

----------------De Gea
--------Keane - Evans - Blackett
Young----------------------------Shaw
-------------Fellaini - Herrera
------------------Mata
-----------Rooney - Hernandez

Hope its this lineup. Hernandez needs the game time, if he's starting on Saturday. Keane and Blackett because why not. Fellaini needs to be assessed by Van Gaal so its only right he would start this game.

Havak

Pokemon master
I actually think that van Gaal might not even assess Fellaini. His best position is clearly as a no.10, where he is not displacing Mata, Kagawa, or Januzaj (or even Rooney or Herrera). I think he is going to have to move. I don't hate him as a player, but this is just not the right club for him.

My hope is that LvG plays the same 11 that will start against Swansea for at least an hour, before he starts giving other players game-time such as Wilson, Blackett, Keane, Januzaj, and Kagawa.

Diadem @t.banty

The West Brom match was one game. I agree Kagawa was looking especially dangerous that game and shouldn't have been taken out. That was Januzaj's 2nd match with a good amount of minutes and his first match where United were losing. He looked shaky because of how nervous he was. He was so nervous he even miscontrolled a throw in that match. Once he settled in though he looked dangerous going past players for fun and almost scoring in that match. I also agree that Kagawa was unfairly treated by Moyes and being dropped for the Chelsea match was an example of this. That still doesn't mean he was better than Januzaj last season or that he had a great season. Kagawa would be the first one to tell you he wasn't up to his high standards and yes Moyes takes a large part of the blame for failing to get the team to play modern football.

I also disagree that the team looked more fluid under him than Mata. Maybe you're thinking of Rooney and I would agree that I prefer Kagawa behind the striker than Rooney despite Rooney's end product. Rooney tends to look to the right wing too often, has games where his touch deserts him, and sometimes either drops too deep or occupies the striker's area too often. Mata though? Mata does what Kagawa does while also having more end product.

And how exactly does Januzaj not link the midfield better than Lingard in the #10 position? What proof do you have when you haven't seen Lingard in the PL? Januzaj did a good job doing that for the reserves. As he becomes more experienced he will learn to operate in the central areas much better than he was at 18 years of age.

It honestly feels like I'm being too harsh on Kagawa, but I'm really not. I'm a big fan of his, but I don't like how some fans act like he's flawless.
Here we go again quoting stats yet forgetting assists stat in particular, depends on the player at the receiving end. How people forgot Kagawa's sublime passes and crosses that were missed last season is beyond me? Talk of the many chances he created which the likes of Welbeck, Smalling etc missed against Swansea, or the chances fluffed by Rooney and Rvp against Sociedad or Hernandez miss against Newcastle or his pass for Mata that got us a penalty against A. Villa etc. I could go on and on.
You're right Kagawa would agree he had a poor season because he's always hard on himself and he didn't get enough gametime to showcase his talent which is equivalent to a poor season for him. However, apart from his poor display in a flat 2-man midfield against Hull and Southampton, I can't think of any poor performance in the limited games he had. Maybe you can help me out because I can't get my head around how people says he was shit when he had good performances in 6 out of the 12 games he started (the Hull and Saints game are null by the way) while the other 6 were games he was not poor nor good, considering the inconsistent way he was played. He was also our overall best player in the Ucl. I repeat everytime he played as the no 10, our attacks looked more dangerous irrespective of how poor our midfield looked in that game. For example, his debut game against Everton or the Bayern game but Rooney decided it wasn't going to be our day in both matches.
Now compared to Mata's performance in the City or Everton where he had a stinker because the midfield couldn't support him and he's not good at dropping deep to get more touches unlike Kagawa does and when he eventually got on the ball, he was dispossessed many time due to high intensity of the game. However, these are the kind of games Kagawa thrives in and takes control of the game by dropping deep which he did for the team many time against Bayern, Newcastle and Aston Villa etc. Even in the Everton game last season, he was our best player with his assured touch and composure under pressure despite playing on the wing although he wasn't productive but still better than Mata. Same thing with his City cameo when he replaced Cleverley in the 2nd half.
Talking of Mata, I can't remember any sublime pass made by him save for his backheel against Newcastle and a throughball to Van Persie in another game. The other two assists awarded to Mata were the 25 yard goal scored by Young after his short pass, similar to Welbeck's against Galaxy after a short pass by Mata. The other was another wonder goal scored by Rvp in another game. Even in the pre-season games, Kagawa had looked better and had offered more creativity than him.
Back to Januzaj, irrc he played mostly on the wing or the striker role for the youth team. And I've seen Lingard performance in the no 10 role for England u21 and Januzaj's for us to form my opinion on them. One knits the play together while the other tends to have individual highlight and when he encounters organized midfield, he gets stiffled like he did against Swansea. No one is denying his talent though.

Last edited:

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
I'm going for a decent win here, 3-0 to us. If our chaps play like they did in america and now we have a full team to pick from, in theory we should be even better. Not only this but LvG is gonna want his first match at OT to be a good one.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Would be nice to see Wilson rewarded for his 4 goals in the cup final and get some minutes here. Will be nice to see Adnan in action once again too :drool:

In Rainbows

Doesn't make sense for Januzaj or Fellaini to not be fit. They have been training for two weeks already. Only RVP started training a week ago. I mean if two weeks isn't enough to be fit for a pre season match, then none of the world cup players (kagawa, rooney, etc...) were fit to play in LA as they only had 1 week of training under their belts before the Galaxy match.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Doesn't make sense for Januzaj or Fellaini to not be fit. They have been training for two weeks already. Only RVP started training a week ago. I mean if two weeks isn't enough to be fit for a pre season match, then none of the world cup players (kagawa, rooney, etc...) were fit to play in LA as they only had 1 week of training under their belts before the Galaxy match.
Rooney has said "I had only 4 days of training so i'm happy with my performance" after the Galaxy match

I agree it makes maybe sense for Van Persie......but Januzaj and Fellaini should have enough training sessions for the match tomorrow

Dazzmondo

Predicted Lineup:

1st half:

De Gea

Jones, Smalling, Evans

Young, Fletcher, Herrera, Shaw
Mata

Welbeck, Rooney

2nd half:

De Gea

Evans, Smalling, Blackett

Young, Fellaini, Herrera, James
Mata

Rooney, Januzaj
Pearson on for Herrera on 60 mins, Smalling off for Keane on 60 mins, Mata off for Kagawa on 60 mins, Rooney off for Wilson on 60 mins, Young off for Valencia on 70 mins. I wouldn't be shocked to see Thorpe come on for Evans either.

I think we'll win 2-1.

Ukrainian Devil

Yeap, wanna see young guys and those, who actually didn't play because of fitness. But actually, this is the last game before Swansea and van Gaal will build this game like the last one before official.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
-----------------------De Gea----------------------
--------Jones---------Smalling-----------Evans-----
Valencia--------Fletcher---Herrera-------------Young
-----------------------Mata-------------------------
----------------Rooney---Hernandez----------------

IBleedManUtd

Valencia come into the match in good form themselves after winning the Emirates Cup recently.

"They have also won a tournament in Emirates Stadium," added van Gaal. "They are very good. I think, otherwise, they would not beat those competitors. It's very difficult for us but it's better to play against good opponents rather than weak opponents and we win, for example, 7-0." :lol:

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...r-united-team-news-for-valencia-friendly.aspx

Trizy

Anyone know if this will be available to download after the match and where from? Going to miss the first half due to work.
All preseason games have been uploaded on youtube afterward, not going to be HD but it's watchable.

Brightonian

--------Jones---------Smalling-----------Evans-----
Valencia--------Fletcher---Herrera-------------Young
Valencia's injured, isn't he? Even if he wasn't, we'd be better off with Young right and Shaw left.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
--------Jones---------Smalling-----------Blackett-----
Young--------Fletcher---Herrera-------------Shaw

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
The main players I want to see: Powell, Janko, Wilson. Blackett (Assuming he doesn't play against Swansea).

Don't know what to think of Powell, I wouldn't rate him highly at all tbh but Sir Alex is adamant in his book that he'll play for England. Janko looks like a tank, fast and powerful which is something United lack at the moment although I know he's not ready. Wilson is the only player in the youth system that I can see being a top, top player and I'd love to see him get a few chances this season. Blackett was immense on the tour, and this season will be huge for him. There's so much hanging on whether or not he can perform that I think LVG will want to assess him yet again tomorrow.

Can't wait for this. It'll be fantastic seeing LVG at Old Trafford! And it'll be nice to get away from all the transfer biz (or lack of transfer biz) for a while. I think a lot of people are starting to get frustrated, myself included. I really hope we play well tomorrow and get a result against Swansea, then maybe we'll all be able to adopt a 'whatever happens, happens' attitude in relation to transfers.

Gerald G

Januzaj and Fellaini have been in training for 2 weeks. Surely they should be fit enough to feature in a pre-season friendly?

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
This is on at the same time as the Real Madrid Sevilla game eh, fack. Was hoping I'd have a full day of footy to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.