Manchester United vs Valencia (Pre-season Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRon

Where does he say that? Sounds to me @fordemonk feels Januzaj won't live up to the rather high expectations of many on here rather than what you're claiming. More along the lines of "he thinks he'll fail" rather than "he wants him to fail". Fwiw, I agree to a certain extent. Kagawa, at present, is a better #10 than Januzaj, and I do think the hype for Januzaj has reached unrealistic expectations. Januzaj doesn't defend well making it tough for him to play wingback, and he didn't play much as a #10 last season. I'm thinking it could be tough for him to get a run of games this year without Europe. He's only 19, give him some time.

I agree. I think some of the interpretation of the messages posted have been ridiculous (just as some of the hype surrounding Januzaj). A supporter can have an opinion that a player will disappoint, without wanting him to disappoint.

georessah

Where does he say that?
You want evidence of him WILLING Januzaj to fail? See below

I've rewound time alright. Mark my words...januzaj is average. Quote me on this in future!!!!!! Kagawa is miles ahead
"Mark my words" that not emphatic enough? "Quote me on this in future" with six exclamation marks not emphatic enough? Ok

Absolute crap. What has januzaj achieved ?? Its embarrassing what you lads believe. Mark my words, Januzaj WILL disappoint

GRon

You want evidence of him WILLING Januzaj to fail? See below

"Mark my words" that not emphatic enough? "Quote me on this in future" with six exclamation marks not emphatic enough? Ok
It is an opinion of the poster. Many people here hold the opinion that Cleverley will fail, but do not want Cleverly to fail.

georessah

It is an opinion of the poster. Many people here hold the opinion that Cleverley will fail, but do not want Cleverly to fail.
I have no qualms with people toting opinions and even brandishing them in our faces but it gets irritating when these are allowed to pass unchallenged. I believe everyone is entitled to their opinions as long as they are reasonable. Anyway, just an observation.

GRon

By the way, I saw an interview of LvG in the Mail today.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...den-warning-forward-s-physical-condition.html

‘Now we have five number 9s and four number 10s and we don’t have wingers to play attacking width, not at the highest level, of Ronaldo or Di Maria or something like that. So I have to play also in another way and you have seen that.’

I wonder who the fifth number 9 is?

Last edited:

Sweet Square

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Is there any news on Rafael's fitness? If he's not ready for this game, is it looking like he'll miss the start of the season too?

Dazzmondo

Wilson or Keane
I'd say it's definitely Wilson judging by the timing of the comment and also considering that Will just didn't look up to this level in pre-season unfortunately. I can definitely see Wilson getting some game time Tuesday after seeing those comments.

Last edited:

MR ISLAND

Hi everybody.....
Its nice to be the part of the greatest family ever in Football......
Back to topic...
i hoping for a good game,some nice passes and inter-play just like we did vs Inter

Motorman

Think he will play the likely starting 11 for first half and then begin to change it all around throughout the second half. I think he knows now who he thinks is going to be rotated in the year and his first teamers.. It will be interesting to see if Zaha plays and for how long..

Irish-Red-7

I'd say it's definitely Wilson judging by the timing of the comment and also considering that Will just didn't look up to this level in pre-season unfortunately. I can definitely see Wilson getting some game time tonight after seeing those comments.
Tonight?

Valencia is Tuesday but anyway Ye probably will be the fifth choice.

Its redundant of course really as with the decrease in games.. His game time will be limited to say the least barring a major injury crisis. Maybe a loan.

iBoss

i-ttack the space
Illuminati headquarters, chillin' with Jay Z.
Shaw, Young, Jones, Smalling, Rooney and Welbeck could all start this game. Good to see over half the first eleven could easily be English. Then you have Fletcher and Evans who are home grown, and Rooney and De Gea bought in as teenagers.

LR7

Will this game be on MUTV?
Yeah. There are constant ads on hyping up the game they've branded REUNITED14.

As an aside I annoyed my Dad a tad by booking tickets to this given that we're going to Swansea 4 days later (I clearly couldn't wait :D).

I hope that we continue to see signs of progress given that we have had a few more consecutive days on the training ground which LvG implied we needed. It'll be interesting because we've tended not to do too well against Spanish teams who press us but I reckon our quicker passing will help in that regard.

Dazzmondo

Tonight?

Valencia is Tuesday but anyway Ye probably will be the fifth choice.

Its redundant of course really as with the decrease in games.. His game time will be limited to say the least barring a major injury crisis. Maybe a loan.
Ya, don't know where the tonight came from lol. Wasn't paying proper attention. I know the game's on Tuesday.

I'd rather he remain here. At least Van Gaal can train him the way he wants. I feel people just assume if a player isn't going to play he should automatically go on loan. I don't agree with this and often I think loans actually hurt the player more. He'd still be playing in the u21s. A level too low for him yes, but he would be training with the first team. I'm sure he'll get some game time anyway even if it's not a huge amount. I just think Van Gaal can help him maximise his potential and technique in training far more than some of the poor Championship coaches.

Blue always red

I've got a feeling whatever team we will play in this game will be the main one we use throughout the season, give or take a few players like Carrick.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Really really excited for this game.

Devil may care

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...den-warning-forward-s-physical-condition.html

‘Now we have five number 9s and four number 10s and we don’t have wingers to play attacking width, not at the highest level, of Ronaldo or Di Maria or something like that. So I have to play also in another way and you have seen that.’

Well he played Zaha as a striker on the tour so I imagine that is who he is referring to.

Asger

Rooney, Persie, Hernandez, Welbeck, Keane/Wilson..

Diadem @t.banty

That's not true anymore, though. He still obviously has potential to be massively better than he's yet been for us... but he was probably our second best outfield player last season, behind Rooney. And that wasn't potential, that was what he was actually doing on the pitch.
Adnan looked average in the no 10 role against Swansea until Kagawa swapped role with him in the 2nd half. It's no suprise he struggled in that role because Swansea have a very good and organized midfield compared to the walkover he had against Sunderland in the Carling cup.
The Westbrom game is another game where the team lost momentum as soon as Januzaj replaced Kagawa, who was our best player together with Nani in that game. In the end, we lost that game with Januzaj having hand in the goal scored against us.
Let's not also forget Adnan had consistent game time at the start of the season until the latter stage when Moyes started to play Kagawa consistently which he didn't disappoint and eventually won the April's player of the month award. In the end, Kagawa had 14 starts with 4 subs in the league while Adnan had 15 starts with 12 subs appearances.
It's well known everytime Kagawa played in the no 10 role for us, our attacks have been much more fluid and exciting, even more entertaining and dangerous than when Mata played there. For example, his debut game against a physical Everton side, Norwich game, Swansea, R. Sociedad, Leverkusen, Bayern e.t.c. The preseason game is another testament to how good he's always been in the no 10 role..
All in all, Januzaj looks much more like a forward/inverted winger than a no 10 to me, even Lingard is a better 10 than him although Januzaj is more talented than him.

Last edited:

GGMU

Are Welbeck, Rafael and Smalling fit for this game?

In Rainbows

Adnan looked average in the no 10 role against Swansea until Kagawa swapped role with him in the 2nd half. It's no suprise he struggled in that role because Swansea have a very good and organized midfield compared to the walkover he had against Sunderland in the Carling cup.
The Westbrom game is another game where the team lost momentum as soon as Januzaj replaced Kagawa, who was our best player together with Nani in that game. In the end, we lost that game with Januzaj having hand in the goal scored against us.
Let's not also forget Adnan had consistent game time at the start of the season until the latter stage when Moyes started to play Kagawa consistently which he didn't disappoint and eventually won the April's player of the month award. In the end, Kagawa had 14 starts with 4 subs in the league while Adnan had 15 starts with 12 subs appearances.
It's well known everytime Kagawa played in the no 10 role for us, our attacks have been much more fluid and exciting, even more entertaining and dangerous than when Mata played there. For example, his debut game against a physical Everton side, Norwich game, Swansea, R. Sociedad, Leverkusen, Bayern e.t.c. The preseason game is another testament to how good he's always been in the no 10 role..
All in all, Januzaj looks much more like a forward/inverted winger than a no 10 to me, even Lingard is a better 10 than him although Januzaj is more talented than him.
Januzaj didn't switch with Kagawa in the West Brom match. He's only played the #10 position 4 times. Against Sevilla in pre season, Norwich in cup, one half of Swansea, and Sunderland in the cup match. He was excellent in 3 games, and decent in the other. Kagawa was better as the 10 in the Swansea match though and the move helped both players have more influence on the game.

Kagawa is the better player behind the striker without a doubt, but it's not outlandish to claim that Januzaj can play that position when he has done so in the past at all levels of the game.

And Januzaj is better than Lingard in that position too.

Last edited:

Diadem @t.banty

Januzaj didn't switch with Kagawa in the West Brom match. He's only played the #10 position 4 times. Against Sevilla in pre season, Norwich in cup, one half of Swansea, and Sunderland in the cup match. He was excellent in 3 games, and decent in the other. Kagawa was better as the 10 in the Swansea match though and the move helped both players have more influence on the game.

Kagawa is the better player behind the striker without a doubt, but it's not outlandish to claim that Januzaj can play that position when he has done so in the past at all levels of the game.

And Januzaj is better than Lingard in that position too.
I don't see where I said he swapped no 10 position with Kagawa in the Westbrom game. Didn't say Kagawa played in the no 10 role in that game either. The point is Kagawa was our best player in that game, yet was subbed out for Januzaj who had an average game.
People tends to forget Kagawa never had consistent game time at the start of the season. He might played 45-60 mins today and the week after, he would be on the bench even when he had a good game like he had in the Swansea game yet was benched for the Chelsea game. He wasn't even allowed to complete the whole 90 mins, even when he was playing well like the Westbrom and Westham games. It was only in the latter stage of last season Moyes started to play him consistently and he was our best player in that month.
What I don't get is why our fans keep saying he had a poor season when he only had 14 starts out of 38 games the team played last season. And out the 14 starts, he was played twice in a flat 2-man midfield which makes those games redundant by the way. And despite being shuffled around different position, he still had good performance against Westham, Westbrom, Newcastles, Norwich, Aston Villa and Swansea and was overall our best player in the UCL. So tell me, how he had a poor season?
If we compare his wing performance to Mata's wing performance for us, he's been better and even when his central role is compared to Mata's, he's also been better.
That aside, there's more to no 10 role than individual performance Januzaj tends to have in that role. It entails not only linking the midfield to attack but creating space through intelligent movement, awareness and good decision making when passing. That's why Lingard would always been better in that role than Januzaj. Just like Isco, him and Januzaj are all about making individual highlights but when it comes to knitting the play together as a team, they are found short no 10s.

JSC

This match could be revealing as to who is being shipped out e.t.c Either way, looking forward to seeing LVG's UTD for the first time!

Browniee

Don't really understand why people are moaning that this game is close to our season opener on Saturday. The game is on Tuesday and being a friendly I doubt none of the starting 11 will finish the game. It's good preparation for the players.
Is Van Persie back and training for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.