Manchester United vs Valencia (Pre-season Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Cat

Januzaj and Fellaini have been in training for 2 weeks. Surely they should be fit enough to feature in a pre-season friendly?
Would also be good for their fitness to play in a game against a decent team

Pat Cat

Will Welbeck be back for this? If not, anyone have any idea when he will be?

Getsme

Looking forward to this game, RVP, Januzaj and Fellaini should all get a run out, along with it being Herrera, Shaw and LVG's debut at Old Trafford should hopefully make it a competitive game.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Just read this whole match thread and I'm seeing posts stating Januzaj is better than Kagawa in this new system. Christ :lol: Januzaj is nowhere near Kagawa in the number 10 position and even last year proved it. Januzaj was brilliant on the wing but didn't perform as well in the hole, evidence of this was the Swansea game.

People tend to get weirdly attached to some unrealistic expectations and will spout whatever nonsenses they can think of in order to make a point. Januzaj is a brilliant prospect and I'd say he's already proven himself in the first team last year and deserve plenty of game time based on his sheer abilities and talent but as a number 10 he'll have to be behind Mata and Kagawa.

For some reason Kagawa is being underestimated here on the Caf for some reasons. I swear it seems like the lad is rated more in other forums or other teams fans than here currently. I've heard that he's crap according to some on here, and not to forget those who keep saying that Mata is miles better than Kagawa :lol:. It's true Mata is better than Kagawa, he is efficient, has better end product and has set pieces in him. This alone makes him better than Kagawa. Outside of that there isn't much between them given their visions, passing abilities and control in games isn;t that far apart. This place sometimes amazes me.

As for the line up, I think we'll see what most are expecting and what should be presumed as our fist team this season(DeGea, Evans, Jones/Smalling, Shaw, Young, Fletcher, Herrera, Mata, Rooney, Hernadez(or Welbeck if he's fit)). Some subs might come around the 60th minute, and I doubt we'll have a whole team change. At best I'd say 5 changes.

Too bad Januzaj doesn't get to play in this one(hopefully he's ready to feature by our first or second game of the league) given what LVG said but I'm somehow happy Fellaini will miss this game.

Reactions: Eboue

Diadem @t.banty

Our starting midfield is just so poor, I can't get my head around it.
Fletcher is an accident waiting to happen, especially in a high pressing game like he did against Bayern, Liverpool etc. Herrera is a box to box midfielder and never a player who controls games like Xavi, Modric or Scholes does. His best role is more like Di Maria's role for Madrid last season. Mata needs the midfield to function and support him before he does his mojo and if the midfield don't, performance like the ones he had against Roma, Inter, Everton, City, etc are likely to surface.
Many thing is just wrong with the team. Only the attack and wingbacks have been consistent in the preseason.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I am going for a 2-2.

The game doesn't matter and is basically training. I expect almost a completely different team in each half.

Result is irrelevant really, but it would be nice to see a few fringe/young players having good games.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Our starting midfield is just so poor, I can't get my head around it.
Fletcher is an accident waiting to happen, especially in a high pressing game like he did against Bayern, Liverpool etc. Herrera is a box to box midfielder and never a player who controls games like Xavi, Modric or Scholes does. His best role is more like Di Maria's role for Madrid last season. Mata needs the midfield to function and support him before he does his mojo and if the midfield don't, performance like the ones he had against Roma, Inter, Everton, City, etc are likely to surface.
Many thing is just wrong with the team. Only the attack and wingbacks have been consistent in the preseason.
Lets not be premature, he could prove to have the ability to if required. He certainly has the attributes.

Diadem @t.banty

Lets not be premature, he could prove to have the ability to if required. He certainly has the attributes.
Which attributes?
Herrera has never been known to control a game, even when he was deployed in a 3-man midfield years back. He's all about driving forward and with his creativity, he was a nightmare, just like Di Maria for Madrid last season. Even in a no 10 position last year, he was constantly dropping deep, not to control a game but to drive forward with the ball. No wonder some La liga fans thought he played as a CM last season because he didn't play the no 10 role like an orthodox 10 would.
The only way to unleash him is to use him in his best role. Liverpool tried to act all know with Henderson and it didn't work out well until Rodger started to deploy him as a box -box CM and Herrera is twice the player Henderson is.
Another example is Wilshere. He was fantastic with his runs and creativity alongside Fabregas, the main player dropping deep to control the tempo. However, Wenger thought Wilshere could play as the organizer following his performance against Barca and everything went downhill for him, apart from his injury of course. Thank God Arsene now realized he's a box to box CM. I could go on and on.
It's not all midfielders with flairs that is capable of controlling the tempo of a match, some are just who they are and should be left alone. Infact, the ability to control a match is innate and can never be taught but can only be improved. That's why the likes of Fabregas, Oliver Torres, Verratti, etc, have no difficulty doing such at a tender age.

ZDwyr

4:30 AM start here and as much as I want to watch it I won't have the energy to wake up and find a decent stream. I'll be placing my faith in a lot of you to give a good summation I can read when I wake up. Hope we win and get no injuries!

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Finally, some more football to ease my broken Muppet heart! Is Wilson in the squad? I watched the senior cup final and he was sensational, best player on the pitch by a long way. It's a pity he wasn't fit for the tour, would have picked up a goal or 2 v galaxy anyway. Hoping the likes of fellaini, rvp and a couple of the promising reserves/ youth players get minutes tonight. I'm thinking this may be a tricky match to win if we rotate heavily and if we lose I fear for the sanity of the poor transfer muppets!!

Last edited:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Which attributes?
Herrera has never been known to control a game, even when he was deployed in a 3-man midfield years back. He's all about driving forward and with his creativity, he was a nightmare, just like Di Maria for Madrid last season. Even in a no 10 position last year, he was constantly dropping deep, not to control a game but to drive forward with the ball. No wonder some La liga fans thought he played as a CM last season because he didn't play the no 10 role like an orthodox 10 would.
The only way to unleash him is to use him in his best role. Liverpool tried to act all know with Henderson and it didn't work out well until Rodger started to deploy him as a box -box CM and Herrera is twice the player Henderson is.
Another example is Wilshere. He was fantastic with his runs and creativity alongside Fabregas, the main player dropping deep to control the tempo. However, Wenger thought Wilshere could play as the organizer following his performance against Barca and everything went downhill for him, apart from his injury of course. Thank God Arsene now realized he's a box to box CM. I could go on and on.
It's not all midfielders with flairs that is capable of controlling the tempo of a match, some are just who they are and should be left alone. Infact, the ability to control a match is innate and can never be taught but can only be improved. That's why the likes of Fabregas, Oliver Torres, Verratti, etc, have no difficulty doing such at a tender age.
Good passing, decision making, awareness and coolness under pressure on the ball amongst others. You can actually learn to dictate the game if you work with a very good coach.

I'm not saying he can control a game, I am saying its a little premature to say he can't do it.

For instance go and ask LVG regarding Bastian, before he got a hold of him, who though he could play CM let along be one of the best CMs around?

Coaching is a very important aspect of the game, and you don't really know what instructions Herrera has been given by previous coaches.

Now I'm not even saying he is going to become a deep lying tempo dictator, I am simply saying there is no reason to say he can never do it.

EDIT: A good example would be Scholes who in his early days as an attacking mid/ no10 you wouldn't have thought he would be able to dictate games at a later stage

Last edited:

Diadem @t.banty

Good passing, decision making, awareness and coolness under pressure on the ball amongst others. You can actually learn to dictate the game if you work with a very good coach.

I'm not saying he can control a game, I am saying its a little premature to say he can't do it.

For instance go and ask LVG regarding Bastian, before he got a hold of him, who though he could play CM let along be one of the best CMs around?

Coaching is a very important aspect of the game, and you don't really know what instructions Herrera has been given by previous coaches.

Now I'm not even saying he is going to become a deep lying tempo dictator, I am simply saying there is no reason to say he can never do it.

EDIT: A good example would be Scholes who in his early days as an attacking mid/ no10 you wouldn't have thought he would be able to dictate games at a later stage
I won't say he has the awareness and his passing is that of a box to box CM, same as Wilshere.
The composure under pressure isn't one of the basic though but it's needed. For example, Cleverley is quite capable of controlling the tempo of a game but he isn't good at it. However, we all know his composure under pressure is terrible. Before people comes for my head, I'm not saying Cleverley can play that role to a high standard but he's played that role decently for us and for England against Brazil, it's no wonder England tempo faded and Wilshere's performance dropped as soon as Cleverley was off the pitch.
On Bastian, he has always been a CM for Bayern youth team but have to been deployed on the wing for the senior team to get game time under his berth. Even on the wing, he plays more like a wide midfielder than a winger, same as Koke for Atletico.
Scholes has the innate ability too, eventhough he started as a striker, just as Modric has the ability right from the start. I would say Kagawa too, because he did that for us against Bayern, Newcastles, etc last season but not in a flat 2-man midfield though. Kagawa was also fine in that role in the pre-season games, although Van gaal tend to believe only players that score goals are the ones having good games. I would say he was fine in that role compared to the stinker he had against Hull and Southampton because the system allows more passing options for him unlike the rigid 4-4-2 tactic he was deployed in, last season.
However, I think he should be deployed in a 3-man midfield to get the best out of him, like Madrid did with Modric. How consistent he will be in that role is what I don't know.

The 4th Official

Albert Stuivenberg.

From wikipedia;
After two years in the Middle East, he returned to the Netherlands to take over as the coach of the under-17s national team. He twice led the team to victory in the UEFA European Under-17 Championship, in 2011 and 2012, leading to his promotion to manage the under-21s in 2013.[4] Stuivenberg also scouts for the Royal Dutch Football Association (KNVB) and educates professional coaches at the KNVB Academy

OoopsMisclick

I'm afraid to admit it but a good beating to get our feet back on the ground would be welcome and might hasten woodwards quest for a decent signing. I'm saying decent because i don't believe we'll sign superstars with woodward at the head of United

fordemonk

Just read this whole match thread and I'm seeing posts stating Januzaj is better than Kagawa in this new system. Christ :lol: Januzaj is nowhere near Kagawa in the number 10 position and even last year proved it. Januzaj was brilliant on the wing but didn't perform as well in the hole, evidence of this was the Swansea game.

People tend to get weirdly attached to some unrealistic expectations and will spout whatever nonsenses they can think of in order to make a point. Januzaj is a brilliant prospect and I'd say he's already proven himself in the first team last year and deserve plenty of game time based on his sheer abilities and talent but as a number 10 he'll have to be behind Mata and Kagawa.

For some reason Kagawa is being underestimated here on the Caf for some reasons. I swear it seems like the lad is rated more in other forums or other teams fans than here currently. I've heard that he's crap according to some on here, and not to forget those who keep saying that Mata is miles better than Kagawa :lol:. It's true Mata is better than Kagawa, he is efficient, has better end product and has set pieces in him. This alone makes him better than Kagawa. Outside of that there isn't much between them given their visions, passing abilities and control in games isn;t that far apart. This place sometimes amazes me.

As for the line up, I think we'll see what most are expecting and what should be presumed as our fist team this season(DeGea, Evans, Jones/Smalling, Shaw, Young, Fletcher, Herrera, Mata, Rooney, Hernadez(or Welbeck if he's fit)). Some subs might come around the 60th minute, and I doubt we'll have a whole team change. At best I'd say 5 changes.

Too bad Januzaj doesn't get to play in this one(hopefully he's ready to feature by our first or second game of the league) given what LVG said but I'm somehow happy Fellaini will miss this game.
Finally, some sense!!!

Irish-Red-7

Doubt Januzai and RvP will feature in this and Rafa/Valencia are out. Welbeck? But starts if fit otherwise Chicharito.

DDG

Smalling Jones Evans

Young Shaw

Herrera Fletch
Mata

Rooney Welbeck

Wilson will get a bit of time I would imagine..

Havak

Pokemon master
For the record, I never once said Januzaj was better than Kagawa. My point is that the point is moot when Kagawa doesn't displace Mata from the first team he is probably going to move elsewhere... They're about the same age and getting to their prime years - they'll both want to be first choice which can't and won't happen. Januzaj wants to play in the hole (like every attacker / winger seems to these days) and if that is going to be his future position it makes more sense to develop that rather than play the guy who isn't going to be in the long term future of Manchester United. Why is that not logical? Why does that get interpreted as JANUZAJ IS BETTER THAN KAGAWA!!! ...?

Anyway, looking forward to tonight's game :D it's going to be so great to see us at Old Trafford under LvG!

Status
Not open for further replies.