ManUtd player of the month - August

Who is your Player of the Month?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Lukaku has 4 goals. That's more valuable than 5 assists. If you're going to base this on statistics, it should be him.

1. Matic
2. Jones
3. Pogba
4. Lukaku
5. Mikhi

for me.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Ok, but it was nervy still at 1-0 v Swansea before he set up Rom. Was a valuable assist.
Assists are weird full stop. It can be a sublime pass or a shank off your shin but it still counts the same.
Yeah exactly, that's why I'd argue Lukaku's 3 goals is much more impressive than Mkhi's 5 assists.
Jones and Matic are my joint highest rated players. I'd give it to the latter, as he played in all of the games.
So did the former...
Yes I think that's about right. I've liked Pogba too but actually it's worth remembering he got rattled against Swansea and could have been sent off. Probably between Matic and Jones, with Matic shading it for me.
Bit harsh. He got a deserved yellow but conducted himself brilliantly after that. He didn't do anything to get another yellow in the rest of the game...

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
@Massive Spanner You're talking nonsense. Three close range passes, one corner and and one free kick. As for the importance, well they mostly came at crucial moments in all three matches. The scores being 1-0, 1-0 and 0-0 - none of which are very good positions to be in (especially for us). As for the quality, the free kick was brilliant, the passes against Swansea were impeccably placed and timed. Additionally, he was very good against Leicester - a game in which he played in a different position and did so very well.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
@Massive Spanner You're talking nonsense. Three close range passes, one corner and and one free kick. As for the importance, well they mostly came at crucial moments in all three matches. The scores being 1-0, 1-0 and 0-0 - none of which are very good positions to be in (especially for us). As for the quality, the free kick was brilliant, the passes against Swansea were impeccably placed and timed. Additionally, he was very good against Leicester - a game in which he played in a different position and did so very well.
Oh my god, I was one off, what nonsense! Tie me to the stake and burn me for blasphemy!

He's been fine, I just don't understand how anyone can regard 5 assists as better than 3 goals (Lukaku) or 2 goals and 1 assist (Pogba), where's the logic in that? More importantly, anyone who has watched us over the 270 minutes would clearly see that Matic and Jones have, overall, been much better than him.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
We haven't had anyone who has put in 8/10 or better performances in every game, but I'll vote for Matic because he allows the whole team to perform more smoothly.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Yeah exactly, that's why I'd argue Lukaku's 3 goals is much more impressive than Mkhi's 5 assists.

So did the former...

Bit harsh. He got a deserved yellow but conducted himself brilliantly after that. He didn't do anything to get another yellow in the rest of the game...
I remember him going in late while on a yellow. I accept it would have been a harsh sending off but he asked the ref to make a decision. From the Matchday thread (well-known for balance and nuance, I know) it's clear quite a few posters were worried about him. As you rightly say he came through it and was great, with a deserved goal and MotM from us, but he was one harsh decision from a red card, a suspension and being nowhere near this discussion.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I remember him going in late while on a yellow. I accept it would have been a harsh sending off but he asked the ref to make a decision. From the Matchday thread (well-known for balance and nuance, I know) it's clear quite a few posters were worried about him. As you rightly say he came through it and was great, with a deserved goal and MotM from us, but he was one harsh decision from a red card, a suspension and being nowhere near this discussion.
Yeah you might be right, he was definitely close. I thought he showed great maturity to recover from it, though. Many young players wouldn't have.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Yeah you might be right, he was definitely close. I thought he showed great maturity to recover from it, though. Many young players wouldn't have.
Absolutely and he deserves credit for it. You could argue it tips the caf's August Player of the Month Award (a great and prestigious honour) in his favour but having thought about it more at this stage of the season I'm going for one of our consistent steady presences in Matic or Jones.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Why are Lukaku and Jones not in the poll ? Yet Lindeloff, Smalling, Lingard and Darmian are in it.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Why are Lukaku and Jones not in the poll ? Yet Lindeloff, Smalling, Lingard and Darmian are in it.
Not sure which mod/admin created the poll, have edited it and added both.

Akshay

Staff
Has to be Matic. Came in and transformed the dynamic of the team, giving Pogba, Mkhi, Martial and Lukaku the platform for them to strut their stuff. He's also the only player to have played incredibly well in all four games (including the Super Cup tie). It's been a good month so there are lots of contenders but Matic has been the enabler for those performances.

buckooo1978

Matic has been superb and has ensured our domination of games

our biggest task this season is scoring more goals though and we needed players to step up

Mkhikitaryan gets my vote - 5 assists and 13 chances created is superb

Parry Gallister

5 assists means Mkhi for me, phenomenal return.

Could have been one from Pogba, Lukkaku, Jones, Bailey, Matic, Martial though (probably Rashford and De Gea after the smart save at the end of Leceister match in there too), all fantastic, pleasure to watch us at the moment.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Matic has been superb and has ensured our domination of games

our biggest task this season is scoring more goals though and we needed players to step up

Mkhikitaryan gets my vote - 5 assists and 13 chances created is superb
Why not give it to the player who scored 4 goals then? :lol:

Bwuk

Matic. Don't think Pogba or Mkhi would perform as well as they have done without him coming into the side.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Didn't realise Mkhi had so many assists already. Definitely didn't know he'd created so many chances already. I think last season he was often overly elaborate and tried too hard, and when it went wrong for him it really stood out. He looks a lot more efficient so far. Very David Silva-like. He seems to thriving with Lukaku running in behind and always occupying the centre backs. Mkhi has more space to do his thing.

I went for Jones though. For me he is the one who has been consistently excellent in all 3 games, whilst also stepping up a level in his performances. When Rojo comes back our CB situation is fantastic. Depth and quality. Surely the annual CB injury crisis can't happen this year, for the first time since 2009.

King.of.Red

tbh, it's difficult to choose since many players in the team showed great performances so far. so, I choose Matic, he is the most important part in our team.

AgentP

Mkhi for me. 5 assists in 3 games is extraordinary. Jones, Bailly, Matic, Pogba and Lukaku are all up there too.