Marcel Sabitzer - (Use the Player Performance thread to discuss his matchday performances)

Conor

I'm actually amazed when players speak no english whatsoever... did they grow up in some obscure village that has no internet or contact with the outside world?
If you watch videos on youtube and some guy visits slums of some random african country, most of them speak ok english
English is the official language of Ghana :lol:

Noc-Z

ffs
So pissed Eriksen is injured. Doesn't seem to be the player who can control the tempo like Eriksen does. Hopefully he'll be a good signing.
But he can also do things Eriksen can't. Bruno and Eriksen to me is lightweight in certain games, but Bruno and Sabitzer, now you have a bit of grit.

AlPistacho

I said the same yesterday.

“It’s a panic signing!”

Well Paul, our first choice midfielder was brutally assaulted a few days ago and is out for the season. His understudy suffered a freak injury a few weeks ago. His alternative has been ruled out for a few weeks.

We’ve signed him as an emergency loan so yes, there’s an element of panic in it you doughnut. A “panic” signing has completely different connotations though and is usually reserved for splashing big money on deadline day because your fans are pressuring you or you find yourself in the relegation zone.
You’ve described it perfectly an “emergency signing” and to get an emergency signing in the form of a player who was highly rated across Europe and joined Bayern deserves credit. He might not have been a regular this year, but that’s not really an issue.

We just have to look at how many none regulars from top European clubs have joined top prem teams and have done very well. Odegard comes mind, also Kovacic.

Last edited:

Wrecking ralf

The thing that annoys me is that this proves that there obviously was money there all along.

Why not support the manager and bring this guy in on loan a month ago? He’s someone that ETH rates highly. We were at bare bones before Eriksen’s injury ffs.
I think it was stated that we had about 20 mil available. But I’d assume wiggle room for wages given we’ve gotten rid of Ronnys small fortune being paid. So given you normally have to pay a loan fee, we may have been told that these kinds of deals would be all that would be sanctioned.

We’ve lost Donny and Eriksen in a short space of time. Before that ETH might have thought with those 2 plus youth players, we were ok in that area to see out the season and then deal with any upgrades in the summer. I assume we have a shortlist of players of interest and we’ve just delved into the ones likely to accept a loan move to cover the injuries.

Ricky Spanish

Shame about no option to buy. Always good to have that in case he now becomes a real good fit.
Hope this is not a dumb question, but no option to buy just means Bayern don't have to sell right? If he's good for us, is there anything to stop us enquiring at the end of the season in case circumstances have changed?

IRN-BRUno

For a last minute loan signing you have to say this looks like an excellent deal, well done to the club for getting it done in time. Hopefully he can settle in quickly!

mav_9me

He is basically swapping Bayern's rotation for being part of ours. Difference is our first choice is injured.

NLunited

I don't know what you are all on about. Its not totally bat sht crazy what he said. Its just an opinion. You can argue semantics all you want but it can easily be labelled as a panic buy. If we planned correctly and thought about the consequences of one of our players getting injured and made the purchases early in the window then thats not a panic buy. If you do it on the last day after your player is out for 3 months then yes its not in the realms of impossibility for it not be deemed a panic buy. Also he said he was a fourth choice Bayern midfielder that couldn't get in the side. Well that's true. Isn't it? We are all just basing our excitement on his Leipzig form. Bayern fans are not rioting.

Now as an aside its still a really good signing. Its ok to panic buy when needed. Its not a dirty word. The one thing Merson hasn't got is our belief in Ten Haag. If Rangnick just bought Wout and Sabitzer the fans would be pissed. Ten Haag however and we believe that he will get the best out of them. And if he gets the best out of Sabitzer he will be a great addition.
No this chump Merson is implying Sabitzer isn‘t any good, therefore is a panic buy. He‘s plain wrong. Feels like he is picking on United, remember interview with Buttface?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I'm actually amazed when players speak no english whatsoever... did they grow up in some obscure village that has no internet or contact with the outside world?
If you watch videos on youtube and some guy visits slums of some random african country, most of them speak ok english
Wow, what an ignorant post.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm more amazed by the fact that you didn't think about getting any information about that random african country. :lol:

Glorio

Because for a lot of those countries you refer to (not sure what qualifies a country as random), have been affected by colonialism i.e. they learn using the English language in schools.

It's however not the same for all African countries, and in many of them, it's perfectly normal to come across folks that can't speak English at all.

One doesn't have to live in a village not to speak the English language, it's not as commonly spoken as a lot of us assume. For a huge number of countries where it's not the official language, it's reasonable that you find highly educated individuals that have no clue about how to speak or understand it. Studies say 1.5 billion people (out of over 8 billion) speak English.

If anything I'm always amazed at the likes of the Germans and Dutch who generally speak passable English as a second language - simply because "they learned it at school". It's usually not so the other way round! :lol:

Glorio

I submit that Sabitzer will have a greater (positive)¹ impact for us this season than Enzo Fernandez will for Chelsea

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Good lord this is ignorant. Most Ghanaians speak English.

You can go to affluent French Villages and meet wealthy people that speak no English and have no intention of ever doing so.

Speaking English is not a barometer of anything.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Lets please come out of this colonial mindset that everyone has to learn English in the world. Its not required.

Giggsy13

If he does well then there is likely room to do a permanent deal with Bayern hoping to recoup the €70 million they’ll be paying for Cancelo. I would think the clubs would’ve discussed an option or obligation to buy but the lack of time and complexities around potential transfer fee and structure prevented that from happening.

This could be one of those off the radar brilliant signings no one expected, deals we used to make re: Park, Evra or Vidic. Here’s hoping we’ve struck gold again.

Bogga

Ok, Ghana might have been a bad example... my bad. I just searched for a video I've seen before. And by the reactions in here I know I didn't really explain what I meant properly... I didn't mean that everyone in every country world wide should speak fluent english.

What I meant is that european countries in general is supposed to have great education and no so called third world countries. And when players from other european countries, join english clubs and can barely make themselves understood... then it amazes me

Does that make more sense or do you all still see me as ignorant? :nervous:

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Ok, Ghana might have been a bad example... my bad. I just searched for a video I've seen before. And by the reactions in here I know I didn't really explain what I meant properly... I didn't mean that everyone in every country world wide should speak fluent english.

What I meant is that european countries in general is supposed to have great education and no so called third world countries. And when players from other european countries, join english clubs and can barely make themselves understood... then it amazes me

Only a handful of people where we live in Italy speak English (at all, let alone fluently). It's really not unusual. Some European countries are different, like Germany and the Netherlands, but maybe your perception is skewed because of the high percentage of Scandinavian people who are fluent.

JPRouve

Scout

You made it worse. You are talking about the official language of these so called third world countries. You are talking about the language of their administration and high ranking politicians. There is no reasonable scenario where you should compare it to European countries where english or many second/third languages are only used a few hours per week at school and is absolutely useless on a day to day basis.

Alemar

A few have posted that he is a different type of player to Eriksen but, to me, he looks fairly similar.
But how is he similar? Eriksen is about exquisite passing, whereas Sabitzer is more about stamina, pressing and defensive nous (whereas they are probably equally good at long shooting)

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I don’t really know much about Sabitzer, and I’m keeping an open mind about how well he’ll do for us. But two things are encouraging:

1. The speed with which we got this deal over the line after the Eriksen injury. A couple of years ago we’d have made a couple of abortive attempts to sign someone before overpaying for a bang average player just before the deadline.

2. The strategic use of loans, as opposed to permanent deals. We already have far too many mediocre but highly paid players on our books that we can’t seem to offload. Much better to get players in on loans to fix short-term issues, while we take our time to make the right permanent deals (obviously, the second part of that is key).
Agreed that loan concept is nice. The hardest part is getting quality loan that good enough, you can expect them to perform immediately.

That's why (imho) it's incredible we could pull off Sabitzer's, especially in mid-season. Teams don't usually loan good players (on cheap). Unless you are Chelsea that just bought 10 players or about. #lol.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
low risk signing, to cover for injured player.

His history tell us that he is a decent to good player who consistently played for years and even captained a team like RBL, a team that consistently featured in CL in that last 6 years, and even played in SF once, we got him only for six months on loan, as a cover, we wouldn't do better than him if we tried.

I have low expectations of him, as long as he can just do his bit alongside Cas, then I am happy.
It just goes to show how well run Bayern are when the like of this lad can’t get into the team in one horse league. the depth and standard of talent on their books is really something we should learn from. That’s what you’re up against at the highest level. We are still miles off but pleasing to see we can spot weaknesses and just get it done instead of waiting years to fix an issue

Last edited:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The official language of Ghana is English and while not everyone in Ghana may speak English as a first language, I'd imagine there are services in English, TV in English and just a presence of the language.

Football players are not always the most academic and may not even need English all that much.

Paula

Supports
Bayern

well, most Germans do speak proper English, as long as they had certain education. This might not be the case for a professional football player though. :D
Anyway, i think this is in the personal interest of every single person to learn another language. And especially as a football player this should not be that hard since you are surroundet by people of different nationalities.

So, yes you are partly right. But maybe this guy is lazy as feck or just not as skilled with languages as others are? ;)
Defiantly he has certain skills on the pitch.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Hope this is not a dumb question, but no option to buy just means Bayern don't have to sell right? If he's good for us, is there anything to stop us enquiring at the end of the season in case circumstances have changed?
Yeah. And if the player also wants it enough, it can be done.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Only 15% of the worlds population speak English. There are billions of people who simply do not need to even utter a word of English in their lifetime.

Hell, even many Europeans dont fancy the language. The majority of the population in South Europe lack the English proficiency to hold a basic conversation.

The world, to no ones susprise, is a lot bigger and vastly more diverse than you might imagine.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The thing that annoys me is that this proves that there obviously was money there all along.

Why not support the manager and bring this guy in on loan a month ago? He’s someone that ETH rates highly. We were at bare bones before Eriksen’s injury ffs.
One could also surmise that the money was not there all along and this deal was only sanctioned due to the seriousness of Eriksen's injury. We've got no idea how hard they may have had to fight to get this approved behind closed doors.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Still no media presentation? Will he be unveiled in front of the crowd tonight? I think that has proven to be best way to introduce new signings to the fans. Was great for both Varane and Casemiro.

Judas

Open to offers
Still no media presentation? Will he be unveiled in front of the crowd tonight? I think that has proven to be best way to introduce new signings to the fans. Was great for both Varane and Casemiro.
To be fair he’s only a half a season loan deal, I wouldn’t expect much fanfare.

AndySmith1990

I wouldn't say we were bare bones in midfield, more of an issue of lacking a certain level of quality

mu4c_20le

Only 15% of the worlds population speak English. There are billions of people who simply do not need to even utter a word of English in their lifetime.

Hell, even many Europeans dont fancy the language. The majority of the population in South Europe lack the English proficiency to hold a basic conversation.

The world, to no ones susprise, is a lot bigger and vastly more diverse than you might imagine.
Ignorance isn't something to celebrate though. There are also millions of people who pay money to learn english. Probably more than any other language.

JPRouve

Scout
Ignorance isn't something to celebrate though. There are also millions of people who pay money to learn english. Probably more than any other language.
What has ignorance got to do with it? Are we supposed to know every languages regardless of how useful they are to us? I don't know tamil, am I ignorant?

mu4c_20le

How is your cantonese?
I think you missed the point. I was talking about the importance of the language. If cantonese ever became in demand, I would probably have to learn it.

What has ignorance got to do with it? Are we supposed to know every languages regardless of how useful they are to us? I don't know tamil, am I ignorant?
Well if you were proud of the fact then it would seem like celebrating ignorance..