Marco Reus

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
A move to a bigger club is inevitable for any young talent of the Reus mould.

Young players (forwards especially) know that thier brief careers are even more brief at the top level. If a player like Reus can be seen week in week out on the world stage it adjusts their value tobpotential clubs after their stint at the top. So of we offer quadruple his current wage by sheer common sense he will definitely take notice and Dortmund simply can not match our money.
Hmmm. You talk about people seeing him on the big stages but we are not even going to be in Europe next season. So technically its a step down for him. They will be in the Champions League. Also Dortmund are one of the top teams in Europe. So they have been noticed due to their performances over the past three seasons.

If we came in even with 35m Dortmund would listen. Why? Because despite the crazy prices in the prem that is a mountainous amount of cash in the Bundesliga. Gotze went for 35m to a direct rival just before a CL final, I mean if they'd do that release clause or not then any Dortmund player is negotiable apart from the loyalists like Hummels who don't seem to care so much about the cash. Although I'm sure he can be tempted.

When an elite level club comes in for you, you simply can't ignore it. Its the equivalent of signing for Real or Barca you simply take notice.
Dortmund wont listen for 35m Euros because they just rejected a bid of £20m+ for Lewa with just a year left in his contract and resigned to the fact that they would lose him for nothing. Does that look to you like a team ready to sell their star players? They are trying to rebuild and even though its a difficult task, they are still doing a good job. They aint selling Reus for cheap and people have said you have to go in with a crazy offer since he has made no intention to leave either.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Is Mike Keegan somewhat reliable?

I am led to believe that these are two of the names that feature in the discussions with the new man who will want assurances before committing to the job.
This was a reply to a question during MEN web-chat regarding the possibility of signing Kroos and Reus.

I was told by a top official there a couple of months ago to expect four or more. I would imagine more.
Then there was that as well.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
For those who have followed van Gaal, would Reus fit in his playing style?

RooneyLegend

For those who have followed van Gaal, would Reus fit in his playing style?
He wouldn't. He's too high risk for a coach like van gaal. Van gaal is a possession coach, typical dutch if you like. He wants to keep the ball and the likes while the likes of reus are very direct and suit teams with that sort of set up.

SolidState

You don't even know how ITK he is
He wouldn't. He's too high risk for a coach like van gaal. Van gaal is a possession coach, typical dutch if you like. He wants to keep the ball and the likes while the likes of reus are very direct and suit teams with that sort of set up.
Absolute nonsense, Van Gaal approach is with wide attacking play that relies on direct players that can beat a man and cut in to finish but can also rotate the ball with crisp passing.

If anything Reus is pretty much the perfect player for Van Gaal system.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The team is crying out for someone like him IMO. We need to push hard for him.

hungrywing

Personally I'd like him to stay at Dortmund and help Klopp. Klopp's doing good things for football in general. We're a few good leaders (manager/CEO) away from being fine without having to join in the dick-swinging competition that Woodward is doing everything he can to jump headfirst into as if he has something to prove, which is very close to loser mentality and I guarantee you the winners in the footballing world both recognize this and will have at least the beginnings of contempt for it.

As of now, Woodward is just as suspect as Moyes. His blatant chasing of multiple high-profile signings across the board is just as potentially damaging to the club's standing off the pitch as Moyes' decisions were on the pitch.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Van gaal likes possession but he's not all out possession, he signed robben for bayern and reus is a very similar player, in a way. Reus would be perfect for us with or without van gaal but van gaal is definitely not a risk averse type of manager.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Van gaal likes possession but he's not all out possession, he signed robben for bayern and reus is a very similar player, in a way. Reus would be perfect for us with or without van gaal but van gaal is definitely not a risk averse type of manager.
To be fair, Reus in his current form would be perfect for any team on the planet right now. The guy has turned into a real monster this season:

- 30 scorer (16 goals;14 assists) in 29 Bundesliga games
- 10 scorer (5 goals;5 assists) in 10 CL games
- 6 scorer (2 goals;4 assists) in 4 national cup games

That makes 46 scorer in 43 games or one scorer every 71 minutes game time.

Hands down best player in the Bundesliga right now and probably the best offensive midfielder (unless you count Ronaldo as one) in the world right now.

bosnian_red

To be fair, Reus in his current form would be perfect for any team on the planet right now. The guy has turned into a real monster this season:

Hands down best player in the Bundesliga right now and probably the best offensive midfielder (unless you count Ronaldo as one) in the world right now.
Completely agree. Brilliant player and anyone would love to have him, that's why I doubt united would have any chance to actually get him, highly doubt he'll leave Dortmund anyways, no reason to. Said last season that he was up there with the best wingers in the world, second to Ribery only (unless like you say you count Ronaldo as one) but he's surpassed him this season easily. Better then bale too IMO. Not only is he so productive with the assists and goals, but his overall game is on another level to the likes of bale and similar players. He's really taken the extra responsibility at Dortmund really well and took his game to another level.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
he got a lot of stick in german/dortmund forums (e.g. transfermarkt) for being a passanger . I remember pretty well, that the first part of the season wasnt really considered to be brilliant by fans/media. Dont get me wrong. He is an outstanding player and every club in the world would be happy to have him, but I dont think that he is Dortmund´s best player. Lewandowski was better and more important.
Its just funny how opinions change. Sometimes one game is enough.

bosnian_red

he got a lot of stick in german/dortmund forums (e.g. transfermarkt) for being a passanger . I remember pretty well, that the first part of the season wasnt really considered to be brilliant by fans/media. Dont get me wrong. He is an outstanding player and every club in the world would be happy to have him, but I dont think that he is Dortmund´s best player. Lewandowski was better and more important.
He's been far better all season, he was brilliant last season (which was his first season at Dortmund, which people forget), but he's taken his game to another level this season.

Bwuk

The best inside forward in the world after Bale and Ronaldo. He's brilliant. Better than Robben, Ribery, Hazard etc.

If he's available break the bank.

Sphaero

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
You mean when he scored 15 times in the first 15 games? And yeah, I remember reading quite a bit about him (gems like "Well, he scored twice, but otherwise he was very quiet") and Dortmund in general on transfermarkt (used to be a regular poster there before the level of posting took a nose dive bar a few quality poster). The amount of moaning there made you think that we were fighting relegation when we were infact playing the best start in the history of the club without our most creative player.

And Lewandowski was not our best performer this season despite being really good most of the time. Our best performer in this season are Reus, Hummels and Großkreutz in that order. The second one is infact our most important player in terms of influence on the game.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
I agree with the first part and totally disagree with the second. To think that Großkreutz was better than Lewandowski must be a joke. I also think that Hummels is very important, but he played about 1200 minutes less and thats a dimension, that I just cant ignore, when I talk about the impact over a complete season.
Lewandowski was the standout player in the month that Dortmund struggled and filled almost the role of two players - forward and play-maker for most parts of the season, playing for 90 minutes almost every single match. He has also 41 scorer points. My opinion is that he was - without a doubt - the best Bundesliga player over the whole season.

Ruht

To think there were so many people criticising him. He's been nothing short of brilliant this season and is getting even better.

bosnian_red

The best inside forward in the world after Bale and Ronaldo. He's brilliant. Better than Robben, Ribery, Hazard etc.

If he's available break the bank.
He's better then Bale. Not even that debatable IMO.

Sphaero

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I agree with the first part and totally disagree with the second. To think that Großkreutz was better than Lewandowski must be a joke. I also think that Hummels is very important, but he played about 1200 minutes less and thats a dimension, that I just cant ignore, when I talk about the impact over a complete season.
Lewandowski was the standout player in the month that Dortmund struggled and filled almost the role of two players - forward and play-maker for most parts of the season, playing for 90 minutes almost every single match. He has also 41 scorer points. My opinion is that he was - without a doubt - the best Bundesliga player over the whole season.
Fair enough if you think that Hummels missing some games disqualifies him here. I think he did enough to put him up there, but I can´t argue your point there.

The reason why I rate Großkreutz higher here is the sheer versatility he showed this season. He played four positions (RB/LB/DM/LW) throughout the season, sometimes on extremely short notice. Sure, he was not as good on these positions as Lewandowski as CF, but he still delivered good performances wherever he was put. That gives him the edge here in my book.

What month do you exactly refer to here? November or December? We did not really had a stand out player back then, because the whole team struggled at that time under the extreme amount of injuries. We had two really good performances in that time frame, both in the CL. Lewandowski was good but in neither games our best player. He was over shadowed by either Mkhitaryan (vs. Neapel) or Großkreutz/Sahin (vs. Marseille).

Saying that he almost filled two positions through out most of the season is a huge overestimation and does our normal CAMs Mkhitaryan or Reus some pretty big disservice. The Armenian especially might not have had the most consistent season (he improved significantly in the second half), but even when he struggled offensively he contributed a lot (more than any other CAM before) towards our pressing and defensive stability. This is in Klopp´s system nearly as important as abilities going forward and something Lewandowski was never asked to do and quite frankly never could do to that extend.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I'd sign him before any CM.
That has to be your heart talking over your head! CM must be the priority, but then that's been the case for years.

I'd certainly say a top class wide player such as Reus should be a priority over a CB this summer.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
That has to be your heart talking over your head! CM must be the priority, but then that's been the case for years.

I'd certainly say a top class wide player such as Reus should be a priority over a CB this summer.

I think we'd have won a lot more games this season if we had a top quality wide player instead of Valencia or Young or relying on Mata out of position or the young Januzaj.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I think we'd have won a lot more games this season if we had a top quality wide player instead of Valencia or Young or relying on Mata out of position or the young Januzaj.
I agree but I think a CM would have a similarly positive affect on our forward play, as well as our defensive solidity.

Basically we need both!

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I'd cream myself if we got this guy. But i'm a bit annoyed we're not getting these players before they've been slapped with a 60m price tag. Wasn't Reus Kagawa's replacement? Signed for 11m euros from Borussia Monchengladbach? Same with Vidal. 14m euros from Leverkusen. It's not as if these players were performing poorly for obscure teams. They were shining at top teams in top leagues.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I'd cream myself if we got this guy. But i'm a bit annoyed we're not getting these players before they've been slapped with a 60m price tag. Wasn't Reus Kagawa's replacement? Signed for 11m euros from Borussia Monchengladbach? Same with Vidal. 14m euros from Leverkusen. It's not as if these players were performing poorly for obscure teams. They were shining at top teams in top leagues.
Don't be too bummed; we got a gem in the form of Januzaj, so at least we got something right! The likes of Kagawa, Hernandez and Smalling all came under £15 million, and they have all turned out good (Not Vidal or Reus level, I admit).

Status
Not open for further replies.