Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I agree, and it will be proven when he gets back to full match fitness. Mourinho will have a selection headache with Rojo and Jones in fine form but once Smalling gets his first start back he's not going to be dropped
Smalling displaced a blind in very good form, I also think those stories about him being a coward or mourinho wanting to sell him (or even shaw) are a load of drivel. The man plays injured and then is called cowardly, typical media.

Loublaze

ATLien
Smalling displaced a blind in very good form, I also think those stories about him being a coward or mourinho wanting to sell him (or even shaw) are a load of drivel. The man plays injured and then is called cowardly, typical media.
Exactly. He took injections to play two games. Far from a coward. He's not going anywhere and neither is Shaw

izec

He's barely put a foot wrong except for a few bad tackles and people suggesting he's not good enough? Smalling has been average since his great form last season. With him and Jones we've looked as stable at the back as we have for a long time.
I agree. Smalling is overhyped. He is not miles better than Rojo. Bailly and Jones are both better than Smalling and Rojo this season showed better performances than Smalling too.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He's barely put a foot wrong except for a few bad tackles and people suggesting he's not good enough? Smalling has been average since his great form last season. With him and Jones we've looked as stable at the back as we have for a long time.
I dont understand why this is an either/or. People are allowed to rate both or neither player. I'm very glad Rojo is playing so well and he's clearly a decent centre half but I still think he's our 4th best one.

Womp

idiot
I dont understand why this is an either/or. People are allowed to rate both or neither player. I'm very glad Rojo is playing so well and he's clearly a decent centre half but I still think he's our 4th best one.
It's not an either/or. I rate Smalling, he has been poor to average this season though, whereas Rojo has been nothing short of immense lately. Stupid to just drop Rojo when Smalling returns when Rojo has been a huge part of why we've been doing well as of late.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
It's not an either/or. I rate Smalling, he has been poor to average this season though, whereas Rojo has been nothing short of immense lately. Stupid to just drop Rojo when Smalling returns when Rojo has been a huge part of why we've been doing well as of late.
You have to play the hot hand and that's Rojo he is performing every game, he's had 2 bad tackles but has stopped 2 of the biggest strikers in the league from scoring lately, he shut down Kane by himself.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Rojo is in good form but if he got a red card for those 2 tackles I bet the opinion in here would be VERY different. Being a top CB is about consistency and staying out of trouble, he needs to learn that.

Smalling was great for us all last year apart from 2/3 matches, people need to remember that. I am happy to persist with Jones and Rojo while they play well, but if the feck it up then Bailly and Smalling will be waiting.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
That depends. Smalling will get some time on the pitch when he comes back. If he does better than Rojo or Jones in that time then he should play the next game IMO.

Womp

idiot
That depends. Smalling will get some time on the pitch when he comes back. If he does better than Rojo or Jones in that time then he should play the next game IMO.
Certainly, every player in our squad bar DDG, Pogba and probably Herrera as of late should be worried they can be replaced in the first team. If Smalling returns and performs, he should play, the same way Rojo who is currently performing should remain in the team though.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Exactly. He took injections to play two games. Far from a coward. He's not going anywhere and neither is Shaw
Madness, I just wouldn't do that, as it would aggravate the injuries. I don't think that makes one a coward either.

prath92

Rojo is in good form but if he got a red card for those 2 tackles I bet the opinion in here would be VERY different. Being a top CB is about consistency and staying out of trouble, he needs to learn that.

Smalling was great for us all last year apart from 2/3 matches, people need to remember that. I am happy to persist with Jones and Rojo while they play well, but if the feck it up then Bailly and Smalling will be waiting.
Not true at all. Many of the top CBs have been carded many times. Vidic Montero Ramos etc. Even midfielders like Keane and all too.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Referees are going to be ready to card him based on those 2 challenges now, every tackle he makes is going to be under intense scrutiny.

I'm not surprised Mourinho is ready to play Smalling while the spotlight is on Rojo for the wrong reasons.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not true at all. Many of the top CBs have been carded many times. Vidic Montero Ramos etc. Even midfielders like Keane and all too.
You're talking crap. Vidic didn't get sent off regularly, only those 2 games against Torres. Ramos isn't a top CB in my eyes.

The best like canavarro, terry, Ferdinand, nesta, bonucci etc don't get sent off regularly. They make tackles cleanly.

Yes sometimes it's impossible to avoid cards, but the top ones don't put themselves in that sort of immediate danger from a stupid tackle.

prath92

You're talking crap. Vidic didn't get sent off regularly, only those 2 games against Torres. Ramos isn't a top CB in my eyes.

The best like canavarro, terry, Ferdinand, nesta, bonucci etc don't get sent off regularly. They make tackles cleanly.

Yes sometimes it's impossible to avoid cards, but the top ones don't put themselves in that sort of immediate danger from a stupid tackle.
Vidic got 8 red cards playing for us. Terry got 7 playing for Chelsea. And I'm sure they have many other instances where they miraculously escaped getting sent off too. Being the best doesn't really mean anything in terms of cards. Paolo Montero had 16 red cards and he was juve s pillar for 10 years. It's just the way they play tackling hard.

West Brom 0:2 Man Utd

Glory Glory Denis Irwin

Glory Glory Denis Irwin
What the hell has happened to this guy? Used to be a running joke with me and the guys I go to the game with when we saw he was playing. Now he looks pretty damn solid at the back and can play a decent ball forward from time to time too.
Just form or is it confidence?

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
What the hell has happened to this guy? Used to be a running joke with me and the guys I go to the game with when we saw he was playing. Now he looks pretty damn solid at the back and can play a decent ball forward from time to time too.
Just form or is it confidence?
Playing in his actual position and getting a run of games. He's a joke at left back, where LvG seemed to prefer him. In the centre he's never really put a foot wrong, not even right at the start.

TheSweeper

Playing in his actual position and getting a run of games. He's a joke at left back, where LvG seemed to prefer him. In the centre he's never really put a foot wrong, not even right at the start.
What? LVG bought him to be a CB - he was then dropped for Blind after some bad matches. You lot will tarnish anything LVG does

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Booked for being slapped. That's a first!

DJRED97

What? LVG bought him to be a CB - he was then dropped for Blind after some bad matches. You lot will tarnish anything LVG does
I seem to remember him getting injured against City? That's why he fell out of the first team.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I'm not tarnishing LvG at all. I am saying LvG preferred him at LB than CB, which he did, because he played him there significantly more than at centre back.

LvG picks the team and the stats don't lie. 20 appearances at centre back. 33 appearances at left back. in 15/16, he only played at CB 3 times, and only played a full 90 minutes there once.

Zoo

Outstanding today and motm. Disappointed Hargreaves hasn't given him the credit he deserves.

Baxter

His best performance for us I reckon. Absolutely Rondon rattled too.

mu4c_20le

Another dominant performance. We need players like him, with an edge to their game, feck being nice!

BBer13

Really shocked both him and Jones are looking this good. He looked careless and sloppy before this season but he is becoming a lot more reliable. Really good game for him today, one of our better players.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
BT commentary were saing "Rojo doesn't strike me as the kind of character to let that go" when Rondon was barking at him, when it was quite the opposite, and Hargreaves corrected him. Rojo was excellent there. He just let Rondon lose it and didn't really react at all. He was very harshly booked when it was Rojo who was shoved and then slapped. Rojo did nothing.

He was excellent today. What is most surprising about him is his composure. Looks incredibly comfortable in all situations. Doesn't dive in or try to win balls that aren't there to be won. His defensive performance so far have been dominant, but his overall play has been very intelligent and calm. I'm a big fan of Smalling, but I don't see how he gets back in to this side yet, because Jones has been equally as good.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Plenty of people here wanted him sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.