Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaybomb

Yeah he's been one of our most consistent players. I'm glad for him as a lot of the stick he took under Van Gaal was ott.
I always backed him. Looking at pure ability, its clear to see that he's our best CB.

ti vu

Yeah he's been one of our most consistent players. I'm glad for him as a lot of the stick he took under Van Gaal was ott.
:nono:

He's well deserved it. His best games under LVG were solid at best and few & far between. You just need to tune in whenever he plays LB now to get the reminder of how he played. LVG mainly used him as LB in his second season didn't help of course. Mourinho is the best thing happened to Rojo as United player. Has transformed as CB under Mourinho.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible

He's well deserved it. His best games under LVG were solid at best and few & far between. You just need to tune in whenever he plays LB now to get the reminder of how he played. LVG mainly used him as LB in his second season didn't help of course. Mourinho is the best thing happened to Rojo as United player. Has transformed as CB under Mourinho.
Agreed. Awful at full back. He didn't really do much wrong when played centrally under LVG though. LVG just didn't seem to want him to play there anymore, despite him being brought in to be a centre back.

Another reason to be glad LVG is gone. Players playing in their positions for the most part.

OL29

I always backed him. Looking at pure ability, its clear to see that he's our best CB.
I wonder what will happen in the summer in terms of our defence. Rojo deserves to keep his spot and Bailly looks potentially very good too. I think Jose will invest in a cb, especially as our defenders are so injury prone but I kind of want to see these two given a chance as first choice

OL29

He was admittedly poor at left back but in his first season he was good when played centrally imo and it was only after he returned from injury (a dislocated shoulder iirc) that he was stuck on the left permenantly and became some sort of joke figure. Even then, I don't think he was as bad as people made out.

ti vu

He was admittedly poor at left back but in his first season he was good when played centrally imo and it was only after he returned from injury (a dislocated shoulder iirc) that he was stuck on the left permenantly and became some sort of joke figure. Even then, I don't think he was as bad as people made out.
Agreed. Awful at full back. He didn't really do much wrong when played centrally under LVG though. LVG just didn't seem to want him to play there anymore, despite him being brought in to be a centre back.

Another reason to be glad LVG is gone. Players playing in their positions for the most part.
IMO though I think he's only solid at best as CB. LVG wanted his CBs to man for man marking, which Rojo is not that physical strong or fast for numbers of this league forwards. Man marking means that at times he had to follow the forwards out of CBs' comfortable zone. Remember some weird marking Jones, Smalling Rojo did where they ended up even higher than our midfield line? He's not that clever neither. That's playing into opposition forwards' hand. Mourinho defense with zonal set up which provides the system which Rojo can play to his best ability with his no nonsense approach, and even if he's to put a foot wrong, there is enough cover for him. His confidence grows. Last but not least the cultural closeness Mourinho, I think played a part too.

Minimalist

His tackling is over the top at times but you just have to give it to him, he's solid as they come. Decent enough on the ball too which is nice.

Him and Bailly are really nice partnership.

Chip

He's as good at centre back as he's shit at left back. Barring any sudden drops in form or injuries, I think we have secured a decent centre back pairing for the next few years.

That means that we can use our energy and money on getting a playmaker/Carrick replacement, a few actual wingers, a striker, and a left back.

zeekey

A liability at left back but move a few yards over and at centre back in general he's been reliable this season (so far, don't want to jinx him). Him and Romero were the first two out the door for me last summer but both have proven to be handy to have about.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Was good yesterday, but like against Everton Bailly was better.

I still wait to see how he'll do this weekend against Hazard and Costa, against Chitteh, against Spurs and in Europe

In Europe, we'll need a rock solid defense if we want to win so the big tests are coming for him.

I still hope a good surprise and get Smalling and Jones (I'm dreaming) back asap

JoaquinJoaquin

Him having a good game isn't even news anymore.
This is what's so good about him. It's now standard for him to have a good game. Plenty of people have talked about players not playing to their potential under Jose but Rojo certainly has.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
He's been a revelation this season and improved beyond recognition.

Robertd0803

I wonder how long it is before we can stop mentioning ''rubbish at left back'' while saying he is a very good central defender. I have been guilty of it myself a lot as well this season but think its about time we can let it go.

Bwuk

Really like Rojo.

He's twice the footballer Smalling and Jones are if we are honest. We should be buying a partner for him next season, with Bailly being the third choice and moving one of the English two on.

Lentwood

I am going to put it out there - Rojo has been one of the best CBs in Europe this season

As Jose has pointed out, at Utd we ask our CBs to play on the front foot, taking the game to the CF and looking to play as high a line as possible. This is exceptionally difficult for a CB to do and requires pace, power, anticipation, strength, aerial dominance and a no nonsense tough tackling approach all in one. Rojo has proven to me that he has all of these attributes this season

I keep hearing people say "lets wait until we play Team X or lets seem when he faces Player A..."

Well ive watched him dominate Costa, Kane, Lukaku and Sanchez now with limited if any bother so massive well done to him for stepping it up and turning it around because he looked on his way out

Womp

idiot
I am going to put it out there - Rojo has been one of the best CBs in Europe this season

As Jose has pointed out, at Utd we ask our CBs to play on the front foot, taking the game to the CF and looking to play as high a line as possible. This is exceptionally difficult for a CB to do and requires pace, power, anticipation, strength, aerial dominance and a no nonsense tough tackling approach all in one. Rojo has proven to me that he has all of these attributes this season

I keep hearing people say "lets wait until we play Team X or lets seem when he faces Player A..."

Well ive watched him dominate Costa, Kane, Lukaku and Sanchez now with limited if any bother so massive well done to him for stepping it up and turning it around because he looked on his way out
He is and I've been suggesting as much for a while now. He's just one of those players who will never fully be appreciated due to how he was when he first arrived imo. Some people around here still suggesting we need to replace him etc.

Lentwood

He is and I've been suggesting as much for a while now. He's just one of those players who will never fully be appreciated due to how he was when he first arrived imo. Some people around here still suggesting we need to replace him etc.
The sad thing is Womp he will inevitably make a mistake sooner or later because he is human and then he will be torn apart

If the lad where playing for another club or if he were English he would be nailed on PFA Team of the Year

togg

Definitely one of the players of the season for me and so much improved. Got a lot of criticism, but seems to have got his head down, settled in and is starting to reap the rewards of his hard work. I like his attitude, it feels very 'united', if I can be excused in saying that!

redpatron

he is and that's why he been moved into Argentina's central defense.

Thank god he stayed and fought for his place on this squad. Can you imagine if we sold him to Monaco in the summer like it was rumored? We would have another egg face and he would moving to Barca for €40 million.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The sad thing is Womp he will inevitably make a mistake sooner or later because he is human and then he will be torn apart

If the lad where playing for another club or if he were English he would be nailed on PFA Team of the Year
I think he's certainly amassed enough credit for the odd mistake or two before being pilloried to any extent. I always rated him anyway. Long may it continue. The £16m fee or whatever it was is beginning to look like a bargain, especially in the currently inflated market.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Just turned 27 in March. Now truly entering the prime years as a CB.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I wonder how long it is before we can stop mentioning ''rubbish at left back'' while saying he is a very good central defender. I have been guilty of it myself a lot as well this season but think its about time we can let it go.
I guess it will only stop once the manager stops playing him at left back. If one of Jones or Smalling was fit I reckon he'd have been played at LB a lot recently.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Love him. He doesn't buckle under Costa's usual games on the pitch like so many others do. He's giving more than he's getting. Bailly's done well to just laugh off Costa's theatrics too.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Loved seeing him give Diego a nice kick in return for his push on bailly.

Jonno

I never thought I would, but earlier this season I really started to love this guy. He's my Vidic fix in terms of dirtiness at the back. We've not had a truly dirty aggressive CB since Vidic left.

Love the little guy.

3KDré

We don't need another CB. Just get someone to cover for them or let one of the youths be a backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.