6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedCurry

It really is. He was tiny. Definitely the most undersized player I've ever seen in our academy, and we've had our fair share of shrimps over the years. He mostly played an age group up, which didn't help, but it always looked like one of the lads had brought their little brother along.

Here's a shot from an England U16 game:

Looks more apt to be wearing blue and standing in front of the players.

manunajted

I agree with Marcus as the #10. I think that when the ball is passed through the lines to our #10, Marcus will do a better job at holding the ball and turning than Zlatan would as he has a heavy touch at times and, despite his build, I've seen players pinch the ball off of him quite easily at PSG. Everytime Rashford receives a ball with an opposition player on his behind he takes the ball in his stride with his exceptional techique and manages to hold said player off, too; allowing him to turn and run at defences or play incisive balls which he's shown he's capable of. Plus, as Zlatan likes to drop deep anyway, Marcus could move upfront as Zlatan drops causing all kinds of problems for opposition teams.
Zlatan has a heavy touch? Lmfao. I've been following him his whole career, that's a insult for a player like Zlatan. He has definitely one of the best touches in the world today, the way he sets himself up and others is world class. Rashford's technique is no where near the level of Zlatan's.

You're just full of bullshit, the guy is a physical monster and bullies defenders everywhere he go, stop spreading lies in here.

rotherham_red

For one, hes only 27. Giggs was still sitting Micah Richards on his arse at 37. But perhaps as importantly, he allows us time to find or develop other wingers, it's not like we're never allowed to buy in or promote new wingers in the next 5 years. If he wins us a league or two it'll only make us more attractive to young talent.

Strange complaint for me.
Oh I definitely agree, the Mkhi replacement in of itself is not an urgent need per se, but I do think we need someone to back him up other than Lingard, who would be much better served as the multifunctional attacking substitute a la Blind in defence and midfield. Plus, once we transition away from Rooney, Mkhitaryan could move inside to the 10 position, and then we would have no one to play on the right to an equally high standard.

Either way, if we move Mkhi inside or not, we need another body in there and for me, it should be a youngster who would be happy to spell him in a squad role for a year to two before eventually replacing him. Someone with the right profile is essential here: young, fast, left footed (for sake of balance), and carries a real dribbling threat to mirror the threat of Martial on the opposite wing, and would also allow our attack to continue to interchange their positions during periods of dominance, as we saw on Sunday briefly.

Also, the Giggs analogy; Giggs is probably the best pure dribbler of his generation (Messi is in the succeeding generation). No other winger has played at that long at that level. If Mkhitaryan is serviceable in a wing role for us by the age of 32, I will be glad. Amazed, but definitely glad.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Zlatan has a heavy touch? Lmfao. I've been following him his whole career, that's a insult for a player like Zlatan. He has definitely one of the best touches in the world today, the way he sets himself up and others is world class. Rashford's technique is no where near the level of Zlatan's.
He's capable of magnificent touches of course; I'm not denying that. Last year at PSG though, there were plenty of times he had a Rooneyesque touch that took him back to where the ball was passed from rather than taking it in his stride when an opposition player was right on his behind whereas with Rashford he seems to be able to take it in his stride even with a player on him. Oh, and I'm not saying Rashford's technique is anywhere close to Zlatan's so don't worry there. I was just praising Rashford's is all.

You're just full of bullshit, the guy is a physical monster and bullies defenders everywhere he go, stop spreading lies in here.
Any need for that?

manunajted

He's capable of magnificent touches of course; I'm not denying that. Last year at PSG though, there were plenty of times he had a Rooneyesque touch that took him back to where the ball was passed from rather than taking it in his stride when an opposition player was right on his behind whereas with Rashford he seems to be able to take it in his stride even with a player on him. Oh, and I'm not saying Rashford's technique is anywhere close to Zlatan's so don't worry there. I was just praising Rashford's is all.

Any need for that?
Every player has their moments of non brilliance, but to focus on these few moments and forget about the rest, is just unfair.

And I've watched all of PSG:s games with Zlatan last year, and he is miles above the rest of their squad (and that says quite a lot when looking what names are next to him).

Yagami

Good post resistant
Every player has their moments of non brilliance, but to focus on these few moments and forget about the rest, is just unfair.

And I've watched all of PSG:s games with Zlatan last year, and he is miles above the rest of their squad (and that says quite a lot when looking what names are next to him).
True, and I'm not saying Zlatan's rubbish because of it - he had a lot more good moments at PSG than bad. I just think that with Rashford as our 10 and Zlatan up top they would compliment eachother nicely, as well as with Martial and Mkhi. That's just me, though.

And yeah, I agree that he was PSGs best player and leader. I mean, it's not like he was my favourite there with Pastore and Verratti playing, but that doesn't mean I don't recognise how brilliant he was for them, too. It's hard to judge how he'll do here though considering he was playing for a team far and away above everyone else in Ligue 1, but if historys anything to go by he should do well. I only mentioned about their touches under heavy pressure as a comparison between the players seeing as 10s always have someone on their behind. It wasn't intended to discredit Zlatan, it was more to big up Rashford.

manunajted

True, and I'm not saying Zlatan's rubbish because of it - he had a lot more good moments at PSG than bad. I just think that with Rashford as our 10 and Zlatan up top they would compliment eachother nicely, as well as with Martial and Mkhi. That's just me, though.

And yeah, I agree that he was PSGs best player and leader. I mean, it's not like he was my favourite there with Pastore and Verratti playing, but that doesn't mean I don't recognise how brilliant he was for them, too. It's hard to judge how he'll do here though considering he was playing for a team far and away above everyone else in Ligue 1, but if historys anything to go by he should do well. I only mentioned about their touches under heavy pressure as a comparison between the players seeing as 10s always have someone on their behind. It wasn't intended to discredit Zlatan, it was more to big up Rashford.
I agree about Rashford and Zlatan complimenting each other, I would though prefer Zlatan being the 10 and Rashford up top since Zlatan likes to drop deep (bit to deep imo), and with Rashford up top we would have more speed and can play behind the defense as well.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I agree about Rashford and Zlatan complimenting each other, I would though prefer Zlatan being the 10 and Rashford up top since Zlatan likes to drop deep (bit to deep imo), and with Rashford up top we would have more speed and can play behind the defense as well.
Zlatan dropping deep is one of the main reasons why I think they'll conncect well together in those positions as they can exchange and cause all sorts of problems. When Zlatan drops deep Marcus can make a surging forward run causing all sorts of headaches for the oppostion defence - having to deal with Marcus' pace, whether to follow Zlatan as he drops deep, etc. Either way, I'd love to see them play together.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Oh I definitely agree, the Mkhi replacement in of itself is not an urgent need per se, but I do think we need someone to back him up other than Lingard, who would be much better served as the multifunctional attacking substitute a la Blind in defence and midfield. Plus, once we transition away from Rooney, Mkhitaryan could move inside to the 10 position, and then we would have no one to play on the right to an equally high standard.

Either way, if we move Mkhi inside or not, we need another body in there and for me, it should be a youngster who would be happy to spell him in a squad role for a year to two before eventually replacing him. Someone with the right profile is essential here: young, fast, left footed (for sake of balance), and carries a real dribbling threat to mirror the threat of Martial on the opposite wing, and would also allow our attack to continue to interchange their positions during periods of dominance, as we saw on Sunday briefly.

Also, the Giggs analogy; Giggs is probably the best pure dribbler of his generation (Messi is in the succeeding generation). No other winger has played at that long at that level. If Mkhitaryan is serviceable in a wing role for us by the age of 32, I will be glad. Amazed, but definitely glad.
I dunno about that, Cafu and Rivaldo are two wingers that spring to mind who were pretty handy in their mid 30s still. Pires too. Robben and Ribery are still contributing are they not? Pace merchants like Duff started to struggle early 30s perhaps, but the ones with wonderful dribbling technique usually do alright.

rotherham_red

I dunno about that, Cafu and Rivaldo are two wingers that spring to mind who were pretty handy in their mid 30s still. Pires too. Robben and Ribery are still contributing are they not? Pace merchants like Duff started to struggle early 30s perhaps, but the ones with wonderful dribbling technique usually do alright.
Cafu was a RB, so his role was more supplementary to a winger rather than being an outright winger himself, and Rivaldo fell off the face of the earth once he moved to Milan at the age of 30.
Ribery and Robben have basically taken a backseat at Bayern since last season with the emergence of Coman and Costa, and they have both suffered injury problems. Pires again, had a great career but was a squad player at Arsenal by 2005. Not many (if any) wingers are still producing the goods post-30 to the extent that they were when they were younger. Disagree on Duff too, in his prime at Chelsea and latter years Blackburn, he was fantastic and was a great dribbler. What messed him up was the injuries he got towards the end at the former, and he was never the same afterwards.

Yes, having a fantastic dribbling technique helps to minimise the effects of ageing and slower pace, but not to the extent that Giggs enjoyed. The reason why is because his dribbling was so much better than everyone else's, plus once he moved infield, his dribbling opened up a whole other avenue for him. The rest of these players enjoyed a peak from around the age of 27-31, but after that the drop off is pretty sharp. Mkhitaryan probably won't have the same issues as these guys because while he is a good dribbler; a) he isn't as good as the ones you mentioned; and b) his other facets of his game, such as his intelligence, his appreciation of space and his passing are better than his dribbling. He'll do better once he's moved inside.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Cafu was a RB, so his role was more supplementary to a winger rather than being an outright winger himself, and Rivaldo fell off the face of the earth once he moved to Milan at the age of 30.
Ribery and Robben have basically taken a backseat at Bayern since last season with the emergence of Coman and Costa, and they have both suffered injury problems. Pires again, had a great career but was a squad player at Arsenal by 2005. Not many (if any) wingers are still producing the goods post-30 to the extent that they were when they were younger. Disagree on Duff too, in his prime at Chelsea and latter years Blackburn, he was fantastic and was a great dribbler. What messed him up was the injuries he got towards the end at the former, and he was never the same afterwards.

Yes, having a fantastic dribbling technique helps to minimise the effects of ageing and slower pace, but not to the extent that Giggs enjoyed. The reason why is because his dribbling was so much better than everyone else's, plus once he moved infield, his dribbling opened up a whole other avenue for him. The rest of these players enjoyed a peak from around the age of 27-31, but after that the drop off is pretty sharp. Mkhitaryan probably won't have the same issues as these guys because while he is a good dribbler; a) he isn't as good as the ones you mentioned; and b) his other facets of his game, such as his intelligence, his appreciation of space and his passing are better than his dribbling. He'll do better once he's moved inside.
You're right about Rivaldo true. Cafu played plenty at RM though, more when he was younger mind but still. Nedved would be another good example. Robben had his best year at 31 I think? He's always had injuries, might come back yet.

Although a lot of these players ended up playing more centrally as they got older they are/were still more than capable of contributing on the wing for me. Not that I'm suggesting you're wrong about Mkhitaryan moving more central as he ages, but I suspect he should still be an able backup winger in 5 years' time.

Acole9

Outstanding
Looked one of the more livelier players in the second half. He may not get many starts like last season but if he carries on scoring goals then Mourinho won't ignore him.

Leicester 1:2 Man Utd

Tiber

Rashford finally gets on the pitch :drool:, I am more convinced with every pre-season game that he is the key to our season as far as the attacking game goes.

Tiber

Playing on the left wing so far - I would still much prefer him in the middle.

Eh pretty quiet out wide - I didn't like Martial getting shoved out wide, I really hope we mainly keep Rashford as a striker.

Last edited:

Devil may care

He did fine, always looks to make something happen and take the game on no matter his position.

Footyislife

Was worse than Martial. Can't cross and doesn't have that good of a close control dribble to play on the LW and cut in. Should play up top to stretch the defense with Zlatan behind him.

Danny

Was worse than Martial. Can't cross and doesn't have that good of a close control dribble to play on the LW and cut in. Should play up top to stretch the defense with Zlatan behind him.
He got to the byline on a couple of occasions and committed his man. He'll do fine as an option on the left when it suits.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Looked really bright today, hope he can keep that kind of performance up if he his playing time is limited.

Bwuk

Would like at some point to see him upfront with Zlatan.

Vilev

I wonder if he will be more of a winger feature this season.

3KDré

We play with a midfield two anyway, so I see no harm in a 4-4-2 with him up front with Ibra with Mkhitaryan and Martial on the wings.

khoazany

If we see him as another option on the left wing - I see very little point of having both Memphis and Young in the squad (in fact I don't see the point of having either of them but I can understand posters who want to give Memphis more time).

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Did alright when he came on. Looked confident but it's not easy to change the pattern of a game. I'm not understanding why anyone would be critical - seems petty.

MD7

If we see him as another option on the left wing - I see very little point of having both Memphis and Young in the squad (in fact I don't see the point of having either of them but I can understand posters who want to give Memphis more time).
Not sure how good he is on the left wing, but that would be great. We already know that he's able to play on the right wing, and as a striker, so currently he'll practically always have play time when Zlatan, or Lingard isn't performing.

Footyislife

Have you ever seen him dribble? Knock ball past opponent PPM is definitely checked on. Stop overrating his skills. He isn't that good at using dribbling moves to get past people; he relies on his pace to get past people.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
If he plays on the wing, it should surely be on the right. He's not a winger that stay on the byline and cross it in; at the very least, he needs to be able to cut on in his left foot and play in the inside right channel.

MounchesterUtd

Rashford, Pogba, Lingard, Shaw, Martial, TFM and Bailly are a very agile and young core to build on :drool:

The United

As long as the manager has balls to drop/sub the 9 and 10 to give him some mins in most games, it would be nice. Otherwise, not sure how he fits in this season to develop futher.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Rashford, Pogba, Lingard, Shaw, Martial, TFM and Bailly are a very agile and young core to build on :drool:
There are others too :) Hopefully the next 2-3 years we'll see them all develop as they should

Utdstar01

Anybody berating his technique obviously haven't seen enough of him or watched him when he was in the academy. He was a very small player back then, may even be possible that he's still growing into his frame now.

In fact I remember 4 years or so ago, Ravel Morrison's agent stating the next best technical player in the youth setup was a young kid called Marcus Rashford so he's always been acknowledged as a very good technical player.

Reactions: Kag
Status
Not open for further replies.