Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Why? Why can't be improved much?

Finishing is all about training and put lot of hours in training. For some it comes naturally and many players have improved their finishing or technical aspects after making it to the first team.

ovoxo

I've noticed seems to strike the ball with a lot more power recently.

Trizy

Why? Why can't be improved much?

Finishing is all about training and put lot of hours in training. For some it comes naturally and many players have improved their finishing or technical aspects after making it to the first team.
He's already a striker, which more than likely he's been practicing his finishing every day for years. It doesn't look any bit special for a striker, if anything it's been below average. You don't win titles with a player who doesn't convert their chances (see us this year).

Just my opinion of him and his hype. I'll happily be proving wrong, of course.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
He's already a striker, which more than likely he's been practicing his finishing every day for years. It doesn't look any bit special for a striker, if anything it's been below average. You don't win titles with a player who doesn't convert their chances (see us this year).

His finishing last season was fantastic.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Rooney's finishing improved a lot latter in his career. So there is a good chance it will.

Anyways will agree to disagree. IMO every aspect of the game can be improved.

ZupZup

Rashford is a recent striker who spent most of his youth playing as a winger. He was only really converted to a striker in his final year as a youth player because we lacked young players who could play up top. I'd say he can still improve his finishing a lot. He's clearly been working on how he strikes the ball too given that he was handed the ball for a freekick in the dying minutes of one our recent bore draws at OT by Rooney. Hit a very good freekick too that forced a brilliant save.

Andy Cole used to always get slated because he apparently wasn't clinical enough... missed too many they'd say. Still managed to win a thing or two though.

Alabaster Codify7

He was awesome last night. After making a complete mess of the one on one, he didn't hide for a second - the sign of a real player. Great goal and performance.

starman

His change of speed is frightening, i knew he was quick, but hes starting to get that Gareth Bale speed. 21/22 hes going to be a monster

Last edited:

Stacks

The kids getting me excited again. There is clearly something there. Even when he missed the one on one, I didn't really care. I was just please he was so terrifyingly quick that the CB shat his pants and couldn't deal with him. Many strikers get better at finishing with confidence. That takes a run of games and goals combined with the human ability to wire our brains to specific actions e.g. knowing where the goal is and putting your foot cleanly through the ball to find the corner. I reckon that if he loaned him to someone in the Eredivise, he could play CF every match and score 20 goals. This could potentially aid with him normalizing finishing chances, which could put him in better stead for a return to the premier league. If we sign a top striker and aren't going to play Rashford CF much, I suggest he gets loaned out. Learning to score goals from wide is different to when learning that as a CF, hence why CF's seem the most unique to their team mates

Rossa

His change of speed is frightening, i knew he was quick, but hes starting to get that Gareth Bale speed. 21/22 hes going to be a monster
He's quicker off the mark than Bale has ever been. The way he destroyed their fullback, who proved a couple of times that he was no slouch, against Martial for instance, was ridiculous. His running is arguably more similar to Ronaldo as he takes fairly short steps.

He does make the "pace is unnecessary" argument look a little foolish. Not only is it a huge asset, but it's also entertaining and gets us off our seats. Watching tiki-taka football will have you fallen half asleep before the goal is scored.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
We're not loaning him out ffs. He's way too good and important to be loaned out.

facund

All he's shown is he's just reliant on pace. His finishing isn't great and his dribbling isn't great, two things that are not likely to improve much at this stage of his career.
Just look to Rooney and Ibrahimovic to see what improvements can be made in terms of goal output throughout a career. Rashford seems to have the right attitude and determination to drive himself towards improving.

Rashford was converted to a striker quite late in his development (previously a winger) and so it makes sense he might be a little behind the curve developmentally. He strikes the ball well when he stays calm but tends to snatch at chances or make bad decisions. These faults are much easier to address than lacking technique, very few strikers display consistently good composure early in their careers (there are always exceptions).

Stacks

I wonder what Kane's finishing was like at 19.....

AP88

Supports
Man City
I was thinking this earlier. And I'm guilty of it myself. The press go so gaga over English players with a hint of promise there's always a nagging suspicion that the next bright young thing will turn out to be another Jack Rodwell. Plus the national team has been such a shambles for so long it's hard to take seriously the idea that anyone who plays for them will end up one of the best players in the world. I'm just trying to remind myself that sometimes England really does produce genuinely world class players. It is possible.

I'm convinced that if Rashford was not English and his career had gone exactly as it has gone so far we'd all be talking about another Ronaldo and future Balon D'Or winnner. But because of his nationality we're not letting our hopes get up. To have achieved so much at such a young age is incredible but it's the breadth and variety of his skills that is the most impressive of all. He's got everything in his locker. He really does remind me of watching Cristiano Ronaldo at the same age.

There, I've said it...
He's not Brazilian Ronaldo or Messi in terms of pure freak technique, but as you point out there's a lot of similarities to Henry and Cristiano in his game. Henry didn't 'learn' how to finish until he was 22/23, and CR's core technique, beyond the nonsense tricks he used to do, was no better than Rashford's at the same age. It's only once he worked on it over a few seasons he became an elite player.

The key for those two players taking the next step was hard work and commitment, and you can tell Rashford has that same desire and professionalism to do what's necessary to get there.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He's not Brazilian Ronaldo or Messi in terms of pure freak technique, but as you point out there's a lot of similarities to Henry and Cristiano in his game. Henry didn't 'learn' how to finish until he was 22/23, and CR's core technique, beyond the nonsense tricks he used to do, was no better than Rashford's at the same age. It's only once he worked on it over a few seasons he became an elite player.

The key for those two players taking the next step was hard work and commitment, and you can tell Rashford has that same desire and professionalism to do what's necessary to get there.
Jose's clear favouritism towards him bodes very well in this regard.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Well that's really not true now is it. Unless you're saying it took Rashford longer, to score fewer goals.....?

Mbappe up for sale would attract every single top club on the planet. Rashford simply wouldn't.

He is a very very good footballer and I'm sure he'd score lots playing for the free-scoring French.

Be nice to see the lad nail down that centre forward berth and score a few if Ibra is out for a few matches.
I reckon you're underrating Rashford slightly. Sure, Mbappe is banging them in at the moment even in Europe, but Rashford is improving every game. The only thing Rashford needs to add is goals. If he became available all the big clubs in the world would be clambering for him.

I'd agree that Mbappe would be more in demand but it's close.

TheReligion

Abusive
Sorry for the unpopular opinion, i'll probably get slaughtered but...

Is Rashford not massively overrated on here? All he's shown is he's just reliant on pace. His finishing isn't great and his dribbling isn't great, two things that are not likely to improve much at this stage of his career.

His work rate is fantastic, but that's a trait you could find in some players at any level of football.

I want to be excited about having a local youth & United fan leading our lines and scoring a bucket full of goals and bringing back the glory days but if I'm being honest, I haven't seen anything massively exciting yet.
Wow. No offence but have you even been watching him play and develop?

He is very capable with the ball at his feet. Did you miss the perfect Rabona and Cryuff turn for his goal? He doesn't simply keep destroying defenders due to his pace, the way he manipulates the ball is becoming first class.

Rashford is adding more and more to his game and he isn't even 20 yet. If you're not excited by what you're seeing I'd suggest you're not plugged in right. Phenomenal talent. If he was from Brazil the world, including you, would be in awe.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)

You have no clue, he has been a striker for like 3 years tops, used to be a winger.

RedRevongge

Is Rashford not massively overrated on here? All he's shown is he's just reliant on pace. His finishing isn't great and his dribbling isn't great, two things that are not likely to improve much at this stage of his career.

His work rate is fantastic, but that's a trait you could find in some players at any level of football.

I want to be excited about having a local youth & United fan leading our lines and scoring a bucket full of goals and bringing back the glory days but if I'm being honest, I haven't seen anything massively exciting yet.
He is a fantastic young talent for sure. He has electric pace and although his finishing needs improvement, he scored for fun last season. Also the likes of Henry and Cristiano Ronaldo weren't prolific with their finishing at the same age.

I really like Rashford's runs and he definitely has skill on the ball (see the rabona).

I'm not entirely convinced of how good he will become but I definitely think he will be a key player for United and England over the next ten years. Whether he can push on to the world class bracket is impossible to predict

Stacks

I reckon you're underrating Rashford slightly. Sure, Mbappe is banging them in at the moment even in Europe, but Rashford is improving every game. The only thing Rashford needs to add is goals. If he became available all the big clubs in the world would be clambering for him.

I'd agree that Mbappe would be more in demand but it's close.
Don't think so to be honest. In fact I highly doubt it. He still has loads to prove. Many big clubs aren't interested in young players unless they can slot straight into the 1st team now!

Prodigal7

Lets not get carried anyway in the moment. Rashford missed some sitters (so did Ibra tbf) before scrambling last nights goal in. He's got the talent but he still needs to step it up to be worthy of a starting place in a Manchester United first team.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
I was thinking this earlier. And I'm guilty of it myself. The press go so gaga over English players with a hint of promise there's always a nagging suspicion that the next bright young thing will turn out to be another Jack Rodwell. Plus the national team has been such a shambles for so long it's hard to take seriously the idea that anyone who plays for them will end up one of the best players in the world. I'm just trying to remind myself that sometimes England really does produce genuinely world class players. It is possible.

I'm convinced that if Rashford was not English and his career had gone exactly as it has gone so far we'd all be talking about another Ronaldo and future Balon D'Or winnner. But because of his nationality we're not letting our hopes get up. To have achieved so much at such a young age is incredible but it's the breadth and variety of his skills that is the most impressive of all. He's got everything in his locker. He really does remind me of watching Cristiano Ronaldo at the same age.

There, I've said it...
FWIW Mbappe is seen as the much bigger talent than Rashford in the Swedish press. Some of our biggest football journos have praised Mbappe as the next big star in world football who will take over the reigns from Messi and Ronaldo, while Rashford is "only" seen as a great talent. I've only seen Mbappe play twice so I can't say one way or the other really.

I personally think that a lot of people are getting a bit carried away regarding Rashford though. I hate to be someone who puts the lid on all the optimism, because that's certainly something we're not spoilt with in this place.. :rolleyes:
I guess the optimism isn't that surprising since he's a homegrown United through-and-through 19-year old who just put in the performance of his career against Chelsea the other day and then scored the OT winner in the EL yesterday. He was praised (and rightly so, I gave him a 9) after the Chelsea game but I really can't get the hype over his performance yesterday.. He ran past players with ease a few times and while that is great it really doesn't do much if he can't attach some sort of end product onto it. I watched the game with three of my friends, none of whom supports United and Rashford got some pretty mixed reviews for his decision making and was pretty much mocked for his finishing up until the goal. and before anyone says anything, Zlatan didn't get any mixed reviews, he was instead unanimously regarded as by far the worst player on the pitch.

Tarrou

The goal last night wasn't pace, was it? I think his all round play is very good too. Links up well, passes well, crosses well, shows game intelligence. He's a whole lot more than just pace, for me.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
If only Pogba had put that bicycle kick away, which to be fair looked like it was going in, they'd be playing that for years to come.

At least Rashers didn't have that David Dunn moment!

Kostur

海尔的老板
If only Pogba had put that bicycle kick away, which to be fair looked like it was going in, they'd be playing that for years to come.
Yup, fecking Spajic (think he did the goal line clearance), he could've let it in, was such a masterpiece.

Ban

FWIW Mbappe is seen as the much bigger talent than Rashford in the Swedish press. Some of our biggest football journos have praised Mbappe as the next big star in world football who will take over the reigns from Messi and Ronaldo, while Rashford is "only" seen as a great talent. I've only seen Mbappe play twice so I can't say one way or the other really.

I personally think that a lot of people are getting a bit carried away regarding Rashford though. I hate to be someone who puts the lid on all the optimism, because that's certainly something we're not spoilt with in this place.. :rolleyes:
I guess the optimism isn't that surprising since he's a homegrown United through-and-through 19-year old who just put in the performance of his career against Chelsea the other day and then scored the OT winner in the EL yesterday. He was praised (and rightly so, I gave him a 9) after the Chelsea game but I really can't get the hype over his performance yesterday.. He ran past players with ease a few times and while that is great it really doesn't do much if he can't attach some sort of end product onto it. I watched the game with three of my friends, none of whom supports United and Rashford got some pretty mixed reviews for his decision making and was pretty much mocked for his finishing up until the goal. and before anyone says anything, Zlatan didn't get any mixed reviews, he was instead unanimously regarded as by far the worst player on the pitch.
Sure he could have been more composed in front of goal but the hype is over the fact what we can expect from him in the future. From what we have seen I think we'll see many great things from him and he's a very good player in the making (not to overreact :) )

Pearson

He is surely the best player coming out of our youth system since the cohort of 92

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Sure he could have been more composed in front of goal but the hype is over the fact what we can expect from him in the future. From what we have seen I think we'll see many great things from him and he's a very good player in the making (not to overreact :) )
Yes I guess you're right and I truly hope he will grow into a world beater, but I want to be a bit more careful at this stage as we've seen quite a few promising youngsters have great spells/seasons and then turned into Anderson's, or worse. But if Rashford can carry on and drag Martial with him as well I reckon we've got some good years ahead. :)

el3mel

Yes I guess you're right and I truly hope he will grow into a world beater, but I want to be a bit more careful at this stage as we've seen quite a few promising youngsters have great spells/seasons and then turned into Anderson's, or worse. But if Rashford can carry on and drag Martial with him as well I reckon we've got some good years ahead. :)
Since he has a very good mentality , attitude and seems to be a hard worker I don't think he'll take that path. He's very mature in his mentality in comparison to other players of his age. If he keeps working hard he'll come good even if he passed through a period on inconsistency and form drop he proved he can get past it.

I have no fears regarding his future.

flappyjay

I don't think he's on the level of those players. But he certainly can be a Harry Kane type player for us.

But do I think he should be leading the line for us next season? No because we still need that deadly striker in front of goal. Fergie used to have four strikers. But as soon as Jose is linked with one people start crying.
Four strikers because he played with a two striker system. With formations used today it's hard to give other strikers games. Rashford is lucky he can play out wide or he would be frozen out like Batshuayi at Chelsea

flappyjay

I really hope he does not go to this u21 summer championships..He has already went to the Euros last summer he needs a rest because if he has a good season next year he will go to the world cup. Imagine him going to three summer tournaments non stop

sergiosigurvinson

In the French league. Now look at players with comparable number of goals in the French league..not really the creme de la creme. I doubt he could make that impression in the PL, especially in our team where most opponents sit very deep. Anyway, it's too early to say how they will pan out. There are so many unknown variables, psychological effects (just wait for a drought to happen in Mbappe's case, and wait how he'll react..), injuries, wrong choices regarding clubs. Rashford would attract every club on the planet, if there would be a slight indication that he is for sale. But every club in the world knows that they don't even have to try. Those two are definitely the best players under 20 right now...let's enjoy the coming years, and see where they are in 4,5 years.
Don't underestimate the French League. They could (or is it should?) have 3 teams in the semi-finals.
Half of the league is fighting for the European places for next season.

sergiosigurvinson

Four strikers because he played with a two striker system. With formations used today it's hard to give other strikers games. Rashford is lucky he can play out wide or he would be frozen out like Batshuayi at Chelsea
Batshuayi a real good striker with a lot of potential (skillful, strong, fast, good shot, maneuvrable,...)

Trizy

He is surely the best player coming out of our youth system since the cohort of 92
The world's most expensive player days hi.

Also Morrison looked like he would be one of the best in the world. He's a feck up though.

OldTrevil

Have to say his dribbling was impressive against Anderlecht. I was strongly critical of his finishing with the frustration from that game caused mainly by the missed chances, but credit to him his head didn't drop. I can't wait to see how much he improves especially if he bulks up this summer or the one after.

OldTrevil

At least Rashers didn't have that David Dunn moment!
I actually thought that bicycle kick was going wide, and on replay you can see he didn't fully connect with the top of his foot and sliced it a bit. I wanted to see the angle from the camera behind the goal but it wasn't shown so it's hard to say for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.