g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Marcus Rashford image 10

Marcus Rashford England flag

2016-17 Performances

View full 2016-17 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

redflair

He was playing as a striker but still had average finishing.

And one and only Jose's biggest challenge in the next few years is getting United back to the top with style. The like of Rashford, Martial, or Shaw can either swim or drawn. Right now, we can't afford to be held back because caring about some kids future.
Some kid's future? He is part of United's future. He'll be here for more than a decade, unless Jose sells him.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I suspect this won't be a popular opinion but I think he'd be better off in the Under 21s. Right now, he seems to want to do too much.

Just don't think him being in the senior England team will do him much favours. He's young and there are other World Cups in his future. Right now, he needs to develop properly. The pressure of making your mark at United plus the senior England team seems too much for him imo. Whereas in the Under 21s he can just play without all the pressure.

podurban2

I suspect this won't be a popular opinion but I think he'd be better off in the Under 21s. Right now, he seems to want to do too much.

Just don't think him being in the senior England team will do him much favours. He's young and there are other World Cups in his future. Right now, he needs to develop properly. The pressure of making your mark at United plus the senior England team seems too much for him imo. Whereas in the Under 21s he can just play without all the pressure.
Had he scored that goal against Boro your narrative would have been different, no?

Rajma

People have zero patience for youngsters, it's embarrassing. Even for those who have shown a big promise already.

He had the Cavani type of game, fantastic movement and involvement in the first half which brought him the chances he had only to be denied by poor finishing (inconsistency with young players? How dare they!).

Notably he faded in the second half a bit but the game was done for him the minute Rojo came on for Mata.

Some of you lot really should have a word.

Jazz

People have zero patience for youngsters, it's embarrassing. Even for those who have shown a big promise already.

He had the Cavani type of game, fantastic movement and involvement in the first half which brought him the chances he had only to be denied by poor finishing (inconsistency with young players? How dare they!).

Notably he faded in the second half a bit but the game was done for him the minute Rojo came on for Mata.

Some of you lot really should have a word.
Nobody is denying what he did get right. I just think he would benefit from not being under constant pressure. He needs an outlet in my opinion that will 'ease' the pressure somewhat. He's lacking in composure at the moment, and so I think he would benefit from sometimes not having that constant expectation and scrutiny.

Dion

Nobody is denying what he did get right. I just think he would benefit from not being under constant pressure. He needs an outlet in my opinion that will 'ease' the pressure somewhat. He's lacking in composure at the moment, and so I think he would benefit from sometimes not having that constant expectation and scrutiny.
The he should move to another club.

Alternatively he's having a difficult second season, if he's good enough he'll adapt.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
They are nothing alike really.
Agreed. Besides speed there is little Rashford has in common with Coley.

Perhaps if Rashford bulks up he can be the back to goal player Cole was. His game would have to change markedly though.

Rashford is more like Henry, stylistically. Plays on the half turn, prefers to have the ball in the channel so he can square up defenders.

The kid has to become more lethal in front of goal. Yes, it's hard. That's Man Utd though. At the biggest club in Britain there is always gonna be pressure. Rooney learned to cope with it, so did Ronaldo. If Rashford is gonna be the player we all hope he will, Rashford will learn too.

A different pressure comes with being the best player for a team that finishes seventh or fifth. For example, Januzaj and Martial. And a team that, genuinely, wants to get back to trying for serious trophies.

People will say it's unfair to expect Rashford to have a Michael Owen style growth curve. If he's as good as we think he is, as good as United's aspirations demand he becomes, Rashford will get stronger under the weight of expectation not crumble.

Stacks

Agreed. Besides speed there is little Rashford has in common with Coley.

Perhaps if Rashford bulks up he can be the back to goal player Cole was. His game would have to change markedly though.

Rashford is more like Henry, stylistically. Plays on the half turn, prefers to have the ball in the channel so he can square up defenders.

The kid has to become more lethal in front of goal. Yes, it's hard. That's Man Utd though. At the biggest club in Britain there is always gonna be pressure. Rooney learned to cope with it, so did Ronaldo. If Rashford is gonna be the player we all hope he will, Rashford will learn too.

A different pressure comes with being the best player for a team that finishes seventh or fifth. For example, Januzaj and Martial. And a team that, genuinely, wants to get back to trying for serious trophies.

People will say it's unfair to expect Rashford to have a Michael Owen style growth curve. If he's as good as we think he is, as good as United's aspirations demand he becomes, Rashford will get stronger under the weight of expectation not crumble.
Owen started every match as CF. Rashford is in a squad rotation role as a LW. he has zero chance of Owens growth. A loan could be the next option so he can develop as we can see under the current set up, he doesn't seem to get game time in his actual position. It is more cameos out wide. He should join Boro or Burnley

MrBest

Quite glad rashford does not start every game. He is 19! Only a select few players have been able to command starting berths from a young age at a big club. Ronaldo messi for example.

Wish people give him a break and stop expecting him to score all the time. He needs a season or 2 more before he is a perm fixture. I would like to see him head the line up on more occasions instead of ibra but im also not against his cameos on the wing.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Owen started every match as CF. Rashford is in a squad rotation role as a LW. he has zero chance of Owens growth. A loan could be the next option so he can develop as we can see under the current set up, he doesn't seem to get game time in his actual position. It is more cameos out wide. He should join Boro or Burnley
Yes. That would be the best for both parties. If Mou worth his dough, he'll buy another established striker for next season, which would limit Rashford chances further away. Ibra won't be here more than another two seasons (most likely). If Rashford is really as good as most of us here think, two years as a main CF in loan term would be enough to prepare him as one of our CF.

m1y2

no no, the more he plays the better, every experience counts, he might be living from his hype, so let him used that to get as many minutes as possible, on club level he will not start over Zlatan so he will be rested a lot, if Martial kicks on

ti vu

I have slightly different view. I don't see he's ready for being consistent performer at international level, but above U21 aka Martial. Should have stay with us.

I hate how NT especially England gives out call up so easy these days ( for a while now). Even to players that they wouldn't commit long term with like with Zaha who is now Ivory Coast international, Shawcross & bunch more... The NT should get consistency with their call up. The replacements would only for the odd injured & past it; not this wholesale giving the flavor of the month the call up & ditch them later. You don't waste international breaks trying experiment with one sets of players who potential wouldn't make it the next time. It's waste of time. What the point of Shaw call up just for checking with him, when leaving Welbeck who is in similar situation out despite Welbeck used to be more mainstay than Shaw? What's up with Jones call up every time when he gets injured this often (without hindsight)? Proper waste of time.

no no, the more he plays the better, every experience counts, he might be living from his hype, so let him used that to get as many minutes as possible, on club level he will not start over Zlatan so he will be rested a lot, if Martial kicks on
I don't think this unstable state in England NT would benefit him. We would have a 2 month of football coming that he can learn plenty for. As I tried to explain above, there is no clear structure for England team. The next time Southgate would call up different set of flavors of the month & tactic & try fit Rashford else where than he should be played to give him best development.

Last edited:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Don't you think that's a bit of a circular argument? The reason Owen played centre forward every game was because he made himself indispensable by scoring constantly. The Scouse had Collymore and Fowler when Owen emerged but he dislodged them by consistent scoring. Rashford has missed some very good chances this season. If he was scoring more he'd get more opportunities down the middle.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'd prefer to see him loaned out as a CF than have another season with us next year as a winger.

Look-a-Hill

I'd prefer to see him loaned out as a CF than have another season with us next year as a winger.
Us loaning out players seems to be a career ender recently. Who was the last person we sent on loan and actually came back and became a first team player for us?

Lingard? But even then he's not exactly first team and will probably only be a squad player at best should he remain at the club long term.

Jazz

I have slightly different view. I don't see he's ready for being consistent performer at international level, but above U21 aka Martial. Should have stay with us.

I hate how NT especially England gives out call up so easy these days ( for a while now). Even to players that they wouldn't commit long term with like with Zaha who is now Ivory Coast international, Shawcross & bunch more... The NT should get consistency with their call up. The replacements would only for the odd injured & past it; not this wholesale giving the flavor of the month the call up & ditch them later. You don't waste international breaks trying experiment with one sets of players who potential wouldn't make it the next time. It's waste of time. What the point of Shaw call up just for checking with him, when leaving Welbeck who is in similar situation out despite Welbeck used to be more mainstay than Shaw? What's up with Jones call up every time when he gets injured this often (without hindsight)? Proper waste of time.

I don't think this unstable state in England NT would benefit him. We would have a 2 month of football coming that he can learn plenty for. As I tried to explain above, there is no clear structure for England team. The next time Southgate would call up different set of flavors of the month & tactic & try fit Rashford else where than he should be played to give him best development.
I don't think we differ that much in our opinions. I definitely agree that there isn't a clear plan with the England set up.

With regards to our Under 21s, I think we have a good set of players there, and I think it would be beneficial for Marcus to play with them in that environment and develop more organically. For e.g.. growing with the team, going far in tournaments and/or winning together. Then these players should slowly be integrated in the senior set up (at least the ones that are promising). I'd prefer this for our youngsters, instead of bypassing this route, just because they've had some good games and the press starts hyping them etc.

I guess the point I'm trying to make re Marcus is that he has enough pressure at United as it stands, and I don't think adding to that in the senior England set up is good for him in the long run.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Us loaning out players seems to be a career ender recently. Who was the last person we sent on loan and actually came back and became a first team player for us?

Lingard? But even then he's not exactly first team and will probably only be a squad player at best should he remain at the club long term.
If he's going to be worthy for us in the long term, he should have game time to prove himself as a centre forward. A loan move is a great test for him - Welbeck did well on his for Sunderland.

Zoo

Southgate said that Rashford would have gone with the under-21's if Sturridge and Kane were fit.

Jazz

Southgate said that Rashford would have gone with the under-21's if Sturridge and Kane were fit.
Oh I didn't realise he said this. I stand corrected then, Southgate seems to have the right idea..

Bwuk

If Zlatan isn't staying next year I'd happily see us play Rashford upfront for the year, and invest heavily in the rest of the side.

Assuming we can't get Mbappe.

Confidence changes everything and Rashford right now seems like he's just trying too hard.

I thought he's played well in Zlatan's absence. So he's had a few nice saves from the GK. Show me the forward in history who hasn't.
As if we're going to loan him out. Playing in different positions is just part of the learning process. He's learning to play his part in our team. If he went to Burnley or some other club it would prove nothing. I disagree with that suggestion profoundly.

Philadelphian

If Zlatan isn't staying next year I'd happily see us play Rashford upfront for the year, and invest heavily in the rest of the side.

Assuming we can't get Mbappe.

Confidence changes everything and Rashford right now seems like he's just trying too hard.
So, for a team with domestic and european trophies in mind, you're all in on the 19 year old? You must think he's the next Ronaldo, Messi, or Ronaldo then?

Bwuk

So, for a team with domestic and european trophies in mind, you're all in on the 19 year old? You must think he's the next Ronaldo, Messi, or Ronaldo then?
No, but you have to have faith at some point. Spurs had it in Kane and look how that paid off.

Rashford has it in him to be a top striker, but that won't happen if he's on the bench every week or playing out wide.

Jonno

No, but you have to have faith at some point. Spurs had it in Kane and look how that paid off.

Rashford has it in him to be a top striker, but that won't happen if he's on the bench every week or playing out wide.
He's played 38 times this season

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Yes, and the vast majority have been out wide or off the bench
So basically he should have played over 30 games starting as Manchester United's number nine aged 18/19? I think that's a couple years too early personally. As long as he's playing regularly he looks on the right path to me.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yes, and the vast majority have been out wide or off the bench
He has played more than 2000 mins, that's around 23 full games. He is not a CF like Ibrahimovic or Drogba. He has very good pace and very capable player playing out wide.

MadMike

Just like Valencia is not a full back? Rashford can play as wide forward.
Valencia did the normal thing of moving to a deeper position as he got older. Quite a different thing.

Rashford is a CF. He could do a job as a RB if you play him there, doesn't make him one. I personally don't feel he has played well enough on the wing to merit playing him there at all. Martial is better on that role.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Valencia did the normal thing of moving to a deeper position as he got older. Quite a different thing.

Rashford is a CF. He could do a job as a RB if you play him there, doesn't make him one. I personally don't feel he has played well enough on the wing to merit playing him there at all. Martial is better on that role.
What normal thing? If anything Valencia moved to even demanding role.

Like I said in Fabinho thread, there would have been 100s of pages regarding his natural position and moaning about playing out of position.

Funny there are few who think Martial playing wide is also out of position.

Kostur

海尔的老板

Just like moving young players around attacking positions so they can learn traits and necessities of each position?

Rashford has shown this season that he's not really in the position to lead our line this year, neither are we as a club. Sure, you could play him as a CF and hope that he finally finds his scoring boots but that would be a plausible option only if rest of our attackers delivered, they quite frankly don't. Rashford's natural game seems to be throwing him to the wing anyway, whenever he's playing up top and he's not coping with the CBs, he'll move to the left wing and we have nobody taking up his spot as a striker.

Fracture90

It will be hard to find a club that will accept him on loan and give him some serious minutes as a CF, whilst knowing they won't be able to buy him at the end of the loan.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Just like Valencia is not a full back? Rashford can play as wide forward.
Valencia moved to full back due to being a limited winger. Not that this has anything to do with Rashford being a winger or wide forward or whatever else you want to call it.

Rashford is a centre forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.