g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Marcus Rashford image 10

Marcus Rashford England flag

2016-17 Performances

View full 2016-17 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapidly losing faith in him. He's quick but his movement is non existent and he's too content to hover around doing nothing. Where's his strikers instinct to get in behind the defence and drive towards the goal?

Bojan11

Impact sub at best currently. Just gets bullied off the ball way too much.

Godfather

He's way better on the wing. That's just how it is. There he can use his pace. Up front he is lost against big lads like today. That's why we need Zlatan an everyone screaming for Marcus instead of hims is fecking deluded.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Another victim of unrealistic expectations. He's still a glorified youth player who needs a couple of years experience before he reaches his potential.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I don't understand why he comes to deep to get the ball, surely his best attribute is his pace so he should be playing on the shoulder of the defender. Bizarre.

Needs to improve quickly or he will fall down the pecking order next season on the assumption we're buying some forwards.

Devil may care

Two fantastic strikers that forced quality saves out of Foster, his play in general was very weak and naive though.

RedMaestro

I don't understand why he comes to deep to get the ball, surely his best attribute is his pace so he should be playing on the shoulder of the defender. Bizarre.

Needs to improve quickly or he will fall down the pecking order next season on the assumption we're buying some forwards.
I get the impression that he's learned some new things from Ibra and this is one of them.

Bojan11

Now everybody wants him played on the wings? It's come full circle.

El Zoido

I really enjoy watching him play but he's got to start scoring. This is why Zlatan plays 90 minutes every week.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I get the impression that he's learned some new things from Ibra and this is one of them.
But it just doesnt make sense given his blistering pace, its Ibra's game to play that way but Rashford has other qualities which would stretch the game and open up space for others.

RedMaestro

Two fantastic strikers that forced quality saves out of Foster, his play in general was very weak and naive though.
He's good for his age, actually quite intelligent. It's just that he's too weak to be able to fight against the defenders alone - so either play together with Ibra or play like he's done earlier, out wide for now. Some fans are just rushing to much with him and expecting a lot. We simply have to be patient with him.

RedMaestro

But it just doesnt make sense given his blistering pace, its Ibra's game to play that way but Rashford has other qualities which would stretch the game and open up space for others.
I know, but he's young and soaks up a lot of new things and he'll figure out sooner or later what suits him and what doesn't. I think it's better that he tries to do new things instead of repeating the same old stuff all the time - won't develop correctly that way in my opinion.

manunited1919

He's good for his age, actually quite intelligent. It's just that he's too weak to be able to fight against the defenders alone - so either play together with Ibra or play like he's done earlier, out wide for now. Some fans are just rushing to much with him and expecting a lot. We simply have to be patient with him.
He needs to bulk up over the summer, he is pushed off the ball way too easily.

RedMaestro

I really enjoy watching him play but he's got to start scoring. This is why Zlatan plays 90 minutes every week.
Well this Ibra-ban has been a good thing for those that were "demanding" that Rashford should play as the lone striker instead of Ibrahimovic. Now there's proof that Ibra's been really good this season. There's a reason why Ibra's used this much - he delivers, despite his age.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
He's not ready to lead the line yet.
People who think that are really naive. Could you not see the quality difference between Rashford and Mess/Suarez/Neymar/Ronaldo etc. And YES, that's the level of strikers we as the biggest club in the world should be looking for :lol: The standards have fallen so fecking low it's unreal.:houllier:

ChichaKagawa

Thought he was really good today.

For all those asking, he's coming deep to mix up his game and to be unpredictable. Needs to bulk up a little and improve in the air.

Obiorahking_

Don't want him anywhere near the wings. He is a striker, just needs to develop. He is like what..20?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
People who think that are really naive. Could you not see the quality difference between Rashford and Mess/Suarez/Neymar/Ronaldo etc. And YES, that's the level of strikers we as the biggest club in the world should be looking for :lol: The standards have fallen so fecking low it's unreal.:houllier:
but they will trot out that he's only 19. So what if he is. If he starts for Manchester United, he has to be good enough, or accept the criticism.

Today, like many other days, he the lacked sophistication top strikers possess to score goals in these kinds of games. That lack of nuance cost us 2 points today, and countless points over the season.

Last edited:

Obiorahking_

This wasn't a bad game from him by any stretch. He is showing improvement, but his off the ball movement, like Martial, must improve. So many instances where he should have been bombing forward into the box, but just stands still.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I thought he was alright in the second half. Poor first, admittedly, but he was one of the few who really tried to step it up in the second, and almost single handed won us the game with two ridiculous strikes, that I wasn't even aware he was capable of. As someone else said, promising signs.

Bojan11

Well every time we linked with a world class attacker the question that always has been asked is what about Rashford?

Some people didn't want to sign another striker because it would hurt him. People need to realise we not a development team.

There's one position SAF didn't develop at and that was striker. The only noticeable striker that we developed under SAF was Welbeck and he was played all over the pitch besides striker. SAF usually bought proven goal scorers. It's too risky for a club our size to be relying on 19 year olds to lead the line unless you a special talent like Ronaldo or Rooney were.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He had two very well struck shots. Something we've not seen a great deal from him in those kinds of ranges.

Still, his positioning was poor. Sure, drop deep to get involved, but when there is an opportunity for a ball to be fizzed across goal, you need your centre forward to be in a position to gamble on it. He was nowhere near those situations for most of the game.

Many say he should play as a 9, but right now he is more suited to playing out wide. I don't think his movement as a centre forward is close to what it should be. He doesn't look to want to play on the shoulder, and we needed someone like that today. Some of our delivery was good, but nobody was attacking it.

manunited1919

Not just over the summer. He'll probably need another summer before he'll have the "right" physique and he'll also have the "right" age.
Yes, I agree. We sometimes expect so much from him and forget he is just a kid. But with players coming in over the summer, he will need to work hard to stay in the first team and get the number of minutes he is getting.

Womp

idiot
but they will trot out that he's only 19. So what if he is. If he starts for Manchester United, he has to be good enough, or accept the criticism.

Today, like many other days, he the lacked sophistication top strikers possess to scarier goals in these kinds of games. That lack of nuance cost us 2 points today, and countless points over the season.
He has the talent to be one of the best, his pace is scintillating. That being said, we can't be babysitting players, helping them learn their trade. I genuinely think a loan move where he plays week in, week out, up front would do wonders for him. We need to start winning again.

RedMaestro

so what? If he's good enough ' he's old enough, right?

Right now, he is nowhere close to good enough, beyond some cameo's when the going is good.
I was only answering the question about how old he was - "...20?" - and I wrote: still 19.

Obiorahking_

I don't understand how poor movement equates to he must play out wide. Its a fallacy because:
1) Even wingers in today's game need to have good off the ball movement
2)it ignores the fact that he is really young and has an importunity to improve.

Devil may care

Agreed mate, I'm not bashing him or anything, I think it's silly to put so much on a kid that turned 19 just this year, I am not sure where he'll end up position wise or if he'll be a regular starter long term for us, but right now I think playing wide and coming off the bench is the best use of him while he continues to develop.

manunited1919

He's not ready to lead the line yet.
Next season, I hope he gets a crack at leading the line in some games though, to allow him to develop as a striker. He has the talent to be a top notch striker, but needs time and opportunity to develop.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)

Today, like many other days, he the lacked sophistication top strikers possess to scarier goals in these kinds of games. That lack of nuance cost us 2 points today, and countless points over the season.
Well every time we linked with a world class attacker the question that always has been asked is what about Rashford?

Some people didn't want to sign another striker because it would hurt him. People need to realise we not a development team.

There's one position SAF didn't develop at and that was striker. The only noticeable striker that we developed under SAF was Welbeck and he was played all over the pitch besides striker. SAF usually bought proven goal scorers. It's too risky for a club our size to be relying on 19 year olds to lead the line unless you a special talent like Ronaldo or Rooney were.
Exactly, we can not develop our own players at the cost of winning stuff. When it comes to elite football, the very very top, you have to use the very best. There are so few of them out there that prices go up to crazy levels. The second tire is not enough at all. Only the very BEST. Just look at the players Real Madrid are taking in and spitting out. They don't even persist with world record fees players. Second best is first out. Age is not even a factor in this game.

RedMaestro

Yes, I agree. We sometimes expect so much from him and forget he is just a kid. But with players coming in over the summer, he will need to work hard to stay in the first team and get the number of minutes he is getting.
People are still thinking of his period last season where he basically scored every time he got the ball. No one can continue like that all the time. That period had the element of surprise - the opponents know what his strengths and weaknesses are and can defend easier. So they have unfair expectations. Hopefully this has made them see the "truth" - that he needs time.

Status
Not open for further replies.