Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

jackal&hyde

:(

I've been saying that his form/play is costing us points and some people said you can't score if you don't get good chances created for you. It is clear here as it was in some of the previous games that he just doesn't make the right runs in to the box and it makes our crosses and passes look a lot worse then they are. He does for our attack what Young does for our defense, makes everyone else look worse then they are.

I hope it's a question of form or confidence because otherwise he has Welbeck 2.0 written all over him, and i don't want that. We would have had 2 or 3 extra wins this season if Martial was fit and that's so frustrating.

Also, it's silly to blame the management because Rashford played under LVG and Mourinho too, were they also terrible at coaching? If we can be sure of one thing about Ole is that he knows what the right runs are for a striker.

I'm so feking disappointed with him right now.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It's not basic shite, it's top pro kinda shite. Making the right final run is the most difficult skill being a forward.

That's the main difference between 15 goals striker and 30 goals striker. Top level movement.
Making a run (not the correct one) but any run to either near of far post in those situations is not the hardest thing in the world.
It is also something which has been highlighted regarding Rashford especially when James has the ball a number of times. I'm afraid you do have to ask what exactly is Ole doing in training.

Making the right runs yes agreed difficult. Making any type of run however isn't hard at all, you would expect to see some differences in movement from him by now

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Whatever happened to the Rashford who would chase down every single ball, to the point where he even tackled the keeper a few times? He's lost his fire.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I can't stand how he randomly trails the winger/fullback from whatever channel he's in when he's playing as a striker. What the feck you following them like a puppy for? Who are you going to cross to in the box? You're the striker! He really is dumb as feck and that is an understatement
That drives me fecking mental too. Fair enough he wants to be striker, then play the role! Stop going miles away to the edge of the pitch or to the halfway line demanding the ball, stay between the width of the box and play like a bloody striker.

And by the way, his free kick wasn't that good. He was shooting at the place the goalkeeper was standing, feck me if that goes in it is some really tragic goalkeeping. Well done on getting it on target and his technique seems to be getting a bit better on that front, but it wasn't really a great effort.

Last edited:

Sp00ks11

Whatever happened to the Rashford who would chase down every single ball, to the point where he even tackled the keeper a few times? He's lost his fire.
He's paid 200k a week, and believes he has made it. He wouldn't stand out in a championship team. Awful player and find it crazy that so many people thought any different.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
I've been saying that his form/play is costing us points and some people said you can't score if you don't get good chances created for you. It is clear here as it was in some of the previous games that he just doesn't make the right runs in to the box and it makes our crosses and passes look a lot worse then they are. He does for our attack what Young does for our defense, makes everyone else look worse then they are.

I hope it's a question of form or confidence because otherwise he has Welbeck 2.0 written all over him, and i don't want that. We would have had 2 or 3 extra wins this season if Martial was fit and that's so frustrating.

Also, it's silly to blame the management because Rashford played under LVG and Mourinho too, were they also terrible at coaching? If we can be sure of one thing about Ole is that he knows what the right runs are for a striker.

I'm so feking disappointed with him right now.
Hey tell you what's ironic, it was his short misplaced pass to Martial - which Martial had to stretch for at pace and then got clattered - which got Martial crocked. It's somewhere in the thread in the clip of him taking a needless shot from about 45 yards after the ball fortuitously bounced for him.

Last edited:

meninred

Mourinho perfectly explained about Rashford ability and position on sky sports.

Greck

His development will stall until he learns there's a tactical side of the game. He doesn't see patterns on the pitch hence doesn't know where the ball will be or where to play a pass. I don't know if this coaching staff are the best for him as they have the same flaws coaching-wise.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
It's not basic shite, it's top pro kinda shite. Making the right final run is the most difficult skill being a forward.

That's the main difference between 15 goals striker and 30 goals striker. Top level movement.
Making a run across a defender to the near post or drifting off his back to the far isn't basic? I was taught that playing college football Ffs.

fps

I shouldn't be feeling sorry for Man Utd's number one striker, confidence or no confidence. I do, because he's a kid who shouldn't be in that position. Colossal mismanagement of him. Of course he asked for the earth, it was management's job to manage that and show him his place in the hierarchy and possible pathway to the first team.

LJJT

He needs taking out the firing line. He’s needed that for months now. He’s no where near as good as he thinks he is and should no way be on free kicks. He’s still young and has huge potential but it’s going to take time and proper management of his career. Sadly the squad is so thin needs must at the minute and he’s just getting flogged now

Eddy_JukeZ

The most overrated prospect we've ever had.

He'll never be a world class player.

Get him out of the team when Martial returns.

Eddy_JukeZ

This is where I've been with him for a while...

I honestly think he's a decent squad player for a club of Utd's wealth. Giving him a first choice CF contract was insane.

Put it this way - compare his game to Nani's in his time here...
It is an INSULT to compare him to Nani.

And I'm pretty sure Rashford atm earns more than Nani ever did at the club.

jackal&hyde

Hey tell you what's ironic, it was his short misplaced pass to Martial - which Martial had to stretch for at pace and then got clattered - which got Martial crocked. It's somewhere in the thread in the clip of him taking a needless shot from about 45 yards after the ball fortuitously bounced for him.

:lol: It's funny. The assist for McTominay was fortunate as he was clearly looking for Pogba but misplaced the pass.

Now i've had more time to think about it and i have to say, you don't get 50 goals at 21 if you are not a top talent. Kane had something like 5 and Ronaldo in his 20s or 30s. So there is an obvious top talent there, but when being under the microscope playing as our main center forward you can see that big improvements are needed, or he is simply not fit to be the main striker but rather a wide forward.

One thing that surprised me in the Arsenal game, was that looking at the heat map of his position on the pitch, he had something like 60% at the time being on the right. So what i'd like to see when Martial returns is to have James on the left, Martial center and Rashford on the right. Maybe there is where his long term future is.

HowieC

:lol: It's funny. The assist for McTominay was fortunate as he was clearly looking for Pogba but misplaced the pass.

Now i've had more time to think about it and i have to say, you don't get 50 goals at 21 if you are not a top talent. Kane had something like 5 and Ronaldo in his 20s or 30s. So there is an obvious top talent there, but when being under the microscope playing as our main center forward you can see that big improvements are needed, or he is simply not fit to be the main striker but rather a wide forward.

One thing that surprised me in the Arsenal game, was that looking at the heat map of his position on the pitch, he had something like 60% at the time being on the right. So what i'd like to see when Martial returns is to have James on the left, Martial center and Rashford on the right. Maybe there is where his long term future is.
He's not technically skilled enough to be an 11 or wide forward. Runs with head down, poor ball control and small space dribbling, bad passing etc. His only hope is at 9.

But... his finishing is crap, heading technique non existent, poor holdup play, and little instinct to move to attack crosses etc.

How can we sell this guy? Other clubs aren't blind, and they aren't gonna pay 200k/week.

United should be a case study in mismanagement in Harvard Business School or something.

mewnew11

He is the worst attacker in our entire squad.

Have been saying that his technique is total crap even during his “normal” form.

Bad ball control, head down kick and rush “dribbling” utter inability to kick the ball with his left.

Along with his lack of IQ, he is without hyperbole, a top championship level player at best, even on “normal” form.

As a thought experiment, I wonder if any team would take him on a free given his wages. Any team in the world?
I am sorry the worst attacker or player of the whole squad award goes to Jlingz

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Just look at the reactions of all the players around him

jackal&hyde

He's not technically skilled enough to be an 11 or wide forward. Runs with head down, poor ball control and small space dribbling, bad passing etc. His only hope is at 9.

But... his finishing is crap, heading technique non existent, poor holdup play, and little instinct to move to attack crosses etc.

How can we sell this guy? Other clubs aren't blind, and they aren't gonna pay 200k/week.

United should be a case study in mismanagement in Harvard Business School or something.
The Athletic wrote recently that Barca was interested up until this April when he chose to sign a new contract. He scored some good goals both from long range and from the box by dribbling in tight areas. Don't think he can be a creative player from wide areas, but more of a second striker that can be great on the counter and making runs before putting a low cross in to the box or finding a shot from the edge.

There is a good selection of goals there and most of them came from playing wide, left or right and then cutting inside or running in to the box in areas of space. But the instincts of a CF he clearly does not have right now if ever.

Last edited:

Revaulx

I did, to be fair to @Slevs . I wanted him out before the Sevilla debacle, too. I'm not reversing my opinion on that because Ole is struggling either. Just because Ole's not good enough doesn't mean we should've kept José. I'm still chuffed he got the sack.
I can clearly recall (in horrible detail :() the game when I realised it wasn’t working: home to Southampton around New Year. We looked utterly clueless, with Pogba struggling in a ridiculously deep role. Sounds familiar?

I wasn’t wanting him sacked though, because despite the awful football the players clearly still believed in him. We still made the occasional brilliant comeback.

DFreshKing

Some shocking rewriting of history going on here. He's is in awful form and his confidence seems shot at the moment but, he is 21 years old and has almost 50 goals for Manchester United and 7 for England. Very few in world football can compare that kind of start to a career. He needs to listen to his coaches and get his head down. I also feel he has played with injuries at times over the last few months. A little bit of patience is needed with young players.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Some shocking rewriting of history going on here. He's is in awful form and his confidence seems shot at the moment but, he is 21 years old and has almost 50 goals for Manchester United and 7 for England. Very few in world football can compare that kind of start to a career. He needs to listen to his coaches and get his head down. I also feel he has played with injuries at times over the last few months. A little bit of patience is needed with young players.
Patience and the Caf don't go well together. But of course, you're entirely right.

Artorias

The Athletic wrote recently that Barca was interested up until this April when he chose to sign a new contract. He scored some good goals both from long range and from the box by dribbling in tight areas. Don't think he can be a creative player from wide areas, but more of a second striker that can be great on the counter and making runs before putting a low cross in to the box or finding a shot from the edge.

There is a good selection of goals there and most of them came from playing wide, left or right and then cutting inside or running in to the box in areas of space. But the instincts of a CF he clearly does not have right now if ever.
Agree. He should be given time. He clearly doesn't fit as a main CF now.

luke511

His brain is his biggest enemy on the pitch at the moment, he shouldn't be huffing and puffing at himself/other players after the first ten minutes of every game. Serious lack of composure. I suppose having the worst no.10 in the history of the club behind you doing jackshit doesn't help either.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
The 'young player' argument is one that I fervently don't agree with in Rashford's case. This is his fifth season as a pro now. It also ignores the fact there are even a plethora of young english players these days who don't give the ball away all the time or have consistent dreadful lapses in concentration. I'm not gonna write him off completely like some do, but glossing over these inconsistencies because he's just a 'young player' is becoming increasingly a tough sell.

Shimo

Don't think he has been able to handle the pressure of being the main striker / goal getter. When he broke through, he just played but, now he is thinking too much, especially on some of the chances he seems to get. Often thinking he needs to go for the spectacular from outside.

What I find weird is that as one of our main strikers, he is not being coached to do some of the things in and around the box. Like make smarter runs, try to target specific defenders, gamble more, make runs to the near post. Doesn't seem to be doing much of that. I mean the way I look at it is even coaching kids teams, when you coach a player to do some specific things, you normally see some signs of it. I can't imagine he is just ignoring it all come game day. So have to wonder what we are doing in training with him.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He needs to keep his head down because there are many things he needs to learn & don’t try to punch above the weight as well but focus on his strength which is pace. Don’t be like Ronaldo. A player like Ronaldo won’t come out in another 30-50 years. He should take a look at Reus or Eto’o as a good example of top player he can become.

Just look at the reactions of all the players around him
Bunch of soft. Why no one shouting at him for taking a ridiculous shot. Something like this is the reason why our players have been doing terrible things & still keep doing the same thing. No one telling others if they make mistakes. There is zero communication there on the pitch.

kouroux

He needs to keep his head down because there are many things he needs to learn & don’t try to punch above the weight as well but focus on his strength which is pace. Don’t be like Ronaldo. A player like Ronaldo won’t come out in another 30-50 years. He should take a look at Reus or Eto’o as a good example of top player he can become.

Bunch of soft. Why no one shouting at him for taking a ridiculous shot. Something like this is the reason why our players have been doing terrible things & still keep doing the same thing. No one telling others if they make mistakes. There is zero communication there on the pitch.
Rashford is clearly one of our "leaders" and main man, I don't see who could do what you described

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I don't think he's a proper #9. Should be a wide forward like Mane/Salah.

Irwin99

Like people have said, I still think he could be a very good wide forward for the club but I never thought he looked great as a centre forward and I don't think he'll ever be the 'main man' at the club. The game against Liverpool a few years back at OT and the position he took is where i'd like to see him developed but thanks to our club recruitment this summer I guess we have to stick with him at centre forward for now and wait patiently until Martial comes back :mad:

tomaldinho1

He is when Martial is fit. Martial is much better as a 9. Rashford can battle it out with James for the LW spot.... at the moment i prefer James.
He might as well play RW and we can put Pereira at 10 (assuming Ole persists with not playing pogba there) at least he grafts defensively and will be an outlet offensively. That also pushes Lingard onto the bench. I think if he stopped trying to score every time he gets the ball, he could develop into a decent RW/LW that would chip in with double figures for goals a season.

HowieC

The Athletic wrote recently that Barca was interested up until this April when he chose to sign a new contract. He scored some good goals both from long range and from the box by dribbling in tight areas. Don't think he can be a creative player from wide areas, but more of a second striker that can be great on the counter and making runs before putting a low cross in to the box or finding a shot from the

I’m sorry it may have been reported but it most likely isn’t true. Can you imagine Rashford doing a rondo with his terrible touch. He would always be in the centre circle.

In the video I saw few if any instances of dribbling in tight spaces to goals. Still that is not what I mean when I criticize his technique.

Few goals are scored futsal style where players literally dribble through defences and score. What I mean is his poor touch resulting in turnovers, resulting in the ball being repositioned too slowly after the touch such that a passing option is gone. Resulting in inability to get a shot off in tight areas as the ball doesn’t stick.

Even in Greenwood’s few games you can say he is head and shoulders over Rashford in this area. In fact Pereira, James and obviously Martial are way better in technique.

I understand that he may be slightly better in an SS role, as he does have decent runs from deep. However, very few modern teams can afford to play two up top as in a 4-4-2(assuming 4-4-2) of course, the midfield would get swamped by 433 teams. Even top players like Dybala and Griezmann would not have the tactics changed to allow a true SS role, let alone 1 goal in 18 games Rashy.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Rashford is clearly one of our "leaders" and main man, I don't see who could do what you described
What a totally disaster. Being a leader doesn’t give you authority not being yelled or shouted or warned by others if you keep making silly decision. The fact no one doesn’t do such a thing show what a bunch of softy they are.

kouroux

Anyone with balls?
I can picture McTominay becoming this kinda player in the futur but not right now. I just don't see who else can turn into a vocal leader, maybe Maguire after a season ?
What a totally disaster. Being a leader doesn’t give you authority not being yelled or shouted or warned by others if you keep making silly decision. The fact no one doesn’t do such a thing show what a bunch of softy they are.
There is softness inside this team without a doubt, they are broken mentally whenever they concede.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Whenever he has the ball, you get the feeling he will somehow feck it up.

Depressing.

jackal&hyde

I’m sorry it may have been reported but it most likely isn’t true. Can you imagine Rashford doing a rondo with his terrible touch. He would always be in the centre circle.

In the video I saw few if any instances of dribbling in tight spaces to goals. Still that is not what I mean when I criticize his technique.

Few goals are scored futsal style where players literally dribble through defences and score. What I mean is his poor touch resulting in turnovers, resulting in the ball being repositioned too slowly after the touch such that a passing option is gone. Resulting in inability to get a shot off in tight areas as the ball doesn’t stick.

Even in Greenwood’s few games you can say he is head and shoulders over Rashford in this area. In fact Pereira, James and obviously Martial are way better in technique.

I understand that he may be slightly better in an SS role, as he does have decent runs from deep. However, very few modern teams can afford to play two up top as in a 4-4-2(assuming 4-4-2) of course, the midfield would get swamped by 433 teams. Even top players like Dybala and Griezmann would not have the tactics changed to allow a true SS role, let alone 1 goal in 18 games Rashy.
I can't disagree with most of what you said. Just to make it more clear, by ss i meant more of a wide forward rather then the second striker in a 2 striker system. Most of his 48 something goals came from starting in that position, be it on the left or right. As far as the Barca stuff, we can't know for sure but The Athletic is the most reliable source imo.

I do think he doesn't look like a CF but he is also in terrible form right now. In a front 3 of James Martial and Rashford, interchanging positions throughout the game, he would look much better.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
1 goal from open play in his last 16 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.