g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Marcus Rashford image 10

Marcus Rashford England flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

julianfr

Bro was selfish last night. There were a couple of opportunities to play it to a team mate but it looked like he had his scoring streak on his mind.

RedRoach

Wasn’t good last night but yet still looked the player most likely to make something happen (and he did with that pass through to Eriksen).

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Before his streak most people wanted to sell Rashford and came up with original names like Rashford... during his streak some thought he was as good as Mbappe.

Truth is that he can be a very good player, he just isnt a world class player (yet hopefully). He will have bad games like today. Not because he is injured or cares more about his streak than about his team but just because he is a very good player who sometimes will have a bad game. It will be fine if on his bad days other players make up for his bad game but today nobody in the attack really had a good game.
Of course players can have bad games, it's the decision making during certain situations can give fans an idea of what the player is focused on or not. It's pure speculation of course but when you see him ignore the obvious passing options at certain moments, it's hard not to come with that explanation.
He played a good role for the goal, that's the Rashford we wanna see. The one who doesn't force things

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Even the greatest of strikers have off days. Why the brutal criticism of Rashford? I much rather a confident and selfish Rashford than a deflated one.

Rockets Redglare

Poor tonight. Gave the impression that he was more bothered about equalling Ruud's scoring record than winning the game.

At least he's got it out of his system tonight because we need him firing on all cylinders at the weekend.
He was miles off Ruud’s record, he’d only scored in 4 league games in a row.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
So unless we have Haaland as CF and prime Robben at RW, he can't be criticized?

The guy was absolute shit last night. Couldn't control a ball, couldn't find a pass to save his life, ran into several defenders time after time (like last season). I don't see what that has to do with having a top quality CF and RW. What are they gonna do, yell at him to control it better?
It's okay to admit he was in great form before the game but had a shit night. It doesn't make you any less of a fan.
There’s prime difference between criticizing a performance and criticism of his overall ability as a footballer.

If you read the posts above they are criticizing his whole ability, consistency and career as a footballer.

Also, an inverted forward without a striker who holds the ball is a problem. A RW who doesn’t hold his width is also another problem. Rashford himself is a problem against deeper opposition.

If he had better form team players in our attack we would either win the game due to them even if Rashford’s had a shite game.

So obviously true it’s unbelievable.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He may have ‘only’ scored 8 league goals but 5 of them have been winning goals. 4 of them against Arsenal, Man City and Liverpool. His big game record is pretty elite.
Yeah, his record against big teams is incredible. One of the very best around. But it’s weird the way he can’t build on that and fill his boots against weaker teams, which is what all the top strikers do. Makes you wonder if it’s a mentality thing? He can’t get himself up for lower key matches? Or he doesn’t respect their defenders enough and tries to walk it into the net?

I dunno. I feel very uncomfortable being on the same side of the debate as the Rashford haters. I have so much respect for him as a person and I still think/hope he can find a way to becoming a world class footballer. But I can’t shake a nagging feeling that there’s something a bit off about him. He doesn’t seem to have the game smarts or mentality to be the best he can be (or even good enough for this team to rely on him to achieve our goals) I hope I’m wrong.

Bebestation

Yeah, his record against big teams is incredible. One of the very best around. But it’s weird the way he can’t build on that and fill his boots against weaker teams, which is what all the top strikers do. Makes you wonder if it’s a mentality thing? He can’t get himself up for lower key matches? Or he doesn’t respect their defenders enough and tries to walk it into the net?

I dunno. I feel very uncomfortable being on the same side of the debate as the Rashford haters. I have so much respect for him as a person and I still think/hope he can find a way to becoming a world class footballer. But I can’t shake a nagging feeling that there’s something a bit off about him. He doesn’t seem to have the game smarts or mentality to be the best he can be (or even good enough for this team to rely on him to achieve our goals) I hope I’m wrong.
He isn’t a striker nor does he get to play with a top quality striker.

Its just very easy to defend against deep when our only quality attacks come from the LW.

Anthony is too easy to read. Check.

Martial has fantastic hold up play which Rashford’s benefiting off but has no goalscoring ability.

Weghorst scored 1 goal for Burnley or some crap.

Sancho has been a flop.

Garanacho has been great for a young player but is still a young player given the time to find his consistency.

Rashford is playing literally by himself.

Lyng

To me its Bruno all over again.
I am simply not convinced Rashford works as a CF in a Ten Hag system. Especially in a game where its clear he had a record on his mind.
When he is playing on the left he usually keeps things simple and remembers to pass and run.
Bruno was great in the first half and Rashford was, at least pretty good and directly involved in the goal.
Second half they both fell of a cliff when moved to a different position.

Real Name

Can someone remind me were there many situations in which he didnt pass as I dont remember there were so much people are now saying he was after a record yesterday?

Lyng

Can someone remind me were there many situations in which he didnt pass as I dont remember there were so much people are now saying he was after a record yesterday?
Yes there where quite a few instances where he the chance to play a simply obvious pass which would put a team mate in a good position, where instead he chose to hog the ball and go for a dribble or try to get in to shooting position.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
He isn’t a striker nor does he get to play with a top quality striker.

Its just very easy to defend against deep when our only quality attacks come from the LW.

Anthony is too easy to read. Check.

Martial has fantastic hold up play which Rashford’s benefiting off but has no goalscoring ability.

Weghorst scored 1 goal for Burnley or some crap.

Sancho has been a flop.

Garanacho has been great for a young player but is still a young player given the time to find his consistency.

Rashford is playing literally by himself.
Your last sentence is, unfortunately, true far too often. It’s his biggest flaw. And even more frustrating when his involvement in our goal yesterday shows what he’s capable of when he remembers to pass the ball.

Real Name

Yes there where quite a few instances where he the chance to play a simply obvious pass which would put a team mate in a good position, where instead he chose to hog the ball and go for a dribble or try to get in to shooting position.
Its just him being the same overcomplicateing things one. Dont think it's about the record.

Idxomer

He really shouldn't try to dribble anymore, 5 or 6 dribbles yesterday without once being able to get past his defender.

I think it's interesting that despite his supposed great form this season, almost all of his underlying stats are still very underwhelming and they all indicate this is pretty much a purple patch and that Rashford is far from being an elite forward.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
He really shouldn't try to dribble anymore, 5 or 6 dribbles yesterday without once being able to get past his defender.

I think it's interesting that despite his supposed great form this season, almost all of his underlying stats are still very underwhelming and they all indicated this is pretty much a purple patch and that Rashford is far from being an elite forward.
Yeah, his fbref stats don’t make good reading.

Compared to wingers/attacking midfielders his passing, dribbling, creativity and defensive work is terrible. Compared to forwards there isn’t a single part of his game that is in the top tier. Generally bouncing around the 75th centile.

All of which puts the (English) media hysteria about the supposedly stellar season he’s having into perspective.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

I think it's interesting that despite his supposed great form this season, almost all of his underlying stats are still very underwhelming and they all indicate this is pretty much a purple patch and that Rashford is far from being an elite forward.
This has always been the case. Try to discuss this & the top red pearl clutchers collapse into their fainting couches.

Roux

Slipped into last season Rashford where he constantly runs in the 3/4 defenders last night - i pray its just a one-off and Ten Hag makes sure it never returns.

Bebestation

Yeah, his fbref stats don’t make good reading.

Compared to wingers/attacking midfielders his passing, dribbling, creativity and defensive work is terrible. Compared to forwards there isn’t a single part of his game that is in the top tier. Generally bouncing around the 75th centile.

All of which puts the (English) media hysteria about the supposedly stellar season he’s having into perspective.
What’s great about these stats are it’s for the last 365 days - so it includes last seasons form too :lol:

And even if that’s not true apparently Harvey Barnes is the number 1 winger :lol:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
What’s great about these stats are it’s for the last 365 days - so it includes last seasons form too :lol:
Ok. Phew. That’s good. I guess.

Although there was a thread comparing this season’s Rashford with 19/20 Rashford in which someone compared this season with last season and a lot of his stats were actually better last season.

Glorio

Looks to be nursing something as his off the ball work dropped massively against City and Palace. It's those runs that make him so dangerous

Lecland07

I think he is playing through an injury. He wasn't running properly in the City game in the second half.

His goal scoring run was always going to end - he wasn't going to score in every game until the end of the season.

In the end, our attack is basically Rashford + 2 ghosts.

Valencia Shin Crosses

It's quite simple. For him to be at his best you need a striker (Martial or a similar style) that will drop off and be able to receive the ball on the turn before playing Rashford into that LW space. It's where he gets to run at people/run through on goal consistently and it's him at his most dangerous. If you have a striker that's occupying that central space on the shoulder of CB's then Rashford has to play wider or deeper, neither which is his specialty even if he's gotten better in his decision making and passing (before last night).

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I think he is playing through an injury. He wasn't running properly in the City game in the second half.

His goal scoring run was always going to end - he wasn't going to score in every game until the end of the season.

In the end, our attack is basically Rashford + 2 ghosts.
Yeah. That's the worrying thing about this team. We are 10th on the goals scored in the League. That's why Felix didn't excite me (on current team), but then we loaned a Championship reject :lol: .

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Like his pass to Eriksen before the goal?
People are allowed bad days. Most teams have more than 1 competent attacker.
It was a great through ball but it was the Palace defenders that made it look great by giving him so much room to hit the ball into. If they were anywhere half decent that space would have been closed off and should of been easily cut off.

I think that's the major problem with Rashford especially on the Caf. He can have a stinker of a game (just like anyone else) but he does one good thing and for some people that negates all the bad. They then compare him to someone like Mbappe which winds up people even more.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It was a great through ball but it was the Palace defenders that made it look great by giving him so much room to hit the ball into. If they were anywhere half decent that space would have been closed off and should of been easily cut off.

I think that's the major problem with Rashford especially on the Caf. He can have a stinker of a game (just like anyone else) but he does one good thing and for some people that negates all the bad. They then compare him to someone like Mbappe which winds up people even more.
It doesn't... He had an off day. But the comment I'm replying to was saying that "top players at least have 1 moment during off days", so I was saying Rashford also had 1 moment on his off day.

The problem with our attack, is we have no striker and nobody else is performing at all. If we had a striker, or Sancho/Antony were in any form, then when Rashford had an off day, the others could step in (like what is happening with Arsenal, between Martinelli, Saka, Jesus etc).

led_scholes

He was close to 0 yesterday. But anyone can have an off day. I m actually blaming the media for this :lol: I think the narrative about smashing records and stuff got to his head yesterday and he just wanted to only score instead of playing for the team.

RuudTom83

There was always going to be an energy dump after the City win. Hopefully the Arsenal game can be his last before he gets a night off.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
How to put this nicely.
You're writing some absolute crap. Top being he was abysmal against City.
That's just the top of the pile.
He was average vs City. Not to mention the luck he had to not be called for offside.
Some of you live in Rashford lalaland

Pearl's a minger

Rashford has a tendency to over complicate things. Last night the constant running down blind alleys whilst trying to beat two or three players was awful and on a par with many of his performances last season. On a few occasions he could of easily played a simple ball but decided against this and it’s infuriating to watch. My own humble opinion is that he’ll always be a decent option to utilise but will he go to the next level? I very much doubt it. As someone has already stated when he’s poor he’s a massive hindrance. He just doesn’t ever fill me with confidence, some players when they’re in on a one on one you’d bet your mortgage on. Can anyone say he’d be their choice in this situation?But unfortunately for us our hands our tied at this moment. That being said if his stock remains relatively high between now and the summer I’d seriously consider letting him go for the right price. (Won’t happen though,local youth product and all that).

Real Name

He was average vs City. Not to mention the luck he had to not be called for offside.
Some of you live in Rashford lalaland
You're beyond help.

And his goal wasn't offside. There was no luck about it.

I've never seen so much hate for an United player from an United fan. Baffling.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
You're beyond help.

And his goal wasn't offside. There was no luck about it.

I've never seen so much hate for an United player from an United fan. Baffling.
The ball was meant for him and he was literally running after it for almost 10yards before Bruno got :lol:
Some of you :annoyed:

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
He gets a pass for yesterday due to the fact he has been well on form before then.

But all things considered, it did feel he had tunnel vision for the goal and ignored his teammates too often. Cant be the main man every game unfortunately.

arnie_ni

Bad game, it happens. I just can't believe he didn't contest the header at the halfway line that they ended getting the fk from.

Status
Not open for further replies.