6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irwin99

Good first half, no lack of effort, nice assist, but still something feels a bit off. After last season's performances I think i'm just happy that he's doing the basics again and hoping it kicks on from there.

Gottabekiddingme

He doesn't press and has no aerial ability. His link up is awful and he gets out muscled by defenders off and on the ball. So why start him over Ronaldo? Would Ronaldo have 1 goal and 1 assist with 450 minutes of play?

Foxbatt

Yet he provided the match winning assist. Played through Ronaldo very well at the end, shame Ronnie didn't finish from that position.
If he is playing at this level anyone should be able to make that pass. He fecked up the same pass a few minutes after. This is not a Sunday league he is playing.

Lecland07

Maybe you watched a different game. His work rate was piss poor throughout. Standing there, moping around, while the rest of the team are pressing and doing his job for him. He neither pressed, nor cut off any passing lanes as the CF. He just stood there, walking around most of the times out of possession.
I believe this is imagination - there is no way he would be playing as much as he does if that is reality. People were saying the same after the Liverpool game until proven wrong by stats, and they were pretty much forced to backtrack against hard reality. Those stats are not readily available, though, to normal people - you only get to know when Sky/BT decide to show them.

He has played pretty much every minute of every game so far this season. This completely counters the idea that he doesn't try as there is no way Ten Hag would have him in the first team for so long. Ronaldo or Garnacho would have come in after the first two games.

Despite the criticism, he has actually significantly contributed to our last three goals. Assist today; The run that pulled the defenders away from the Fernandes to open up the space for the goal against Southampton; Goal against Liverpool. We have known for years that he is not a striker, but, despite that, he has been a reason we have been winning games.

Eddy_JukeZ

There was a period in the 2nd half where he ruined 3-4 attacks with poor touches or decision making while we were on top of the game.

Brutal at times. He can't play up top.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yet he provided the match winning assist. Played through Ronaldo very well at the end, shame Ronnie didn't finish from that position.
You can provide the match winning assist (which was the simplest of passes btw) and still be poor. Nearly every single touch and pass he attempted was poor.

RepardReece

Hopefully the introduction of Antony sees Rashford benched more often. For too long has his performances been atrocious

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Yeh, Rashford's pressing and work rate was non existent today, as per usual.

He sprints to close someone down maybe once or twice in the first 5 minutes of each half. Then the rest of the time he's doing a jog that's slower than walking pace.
I dont know how people fail to see the lack of intensity at pressing when Rashford is leading the line. Jogs from one player to the next without actually pressuring them. On the sprinting part his usual trick is to sprint at the oppos GK even though he has no chance of winning the ball making gullible people think he's putting a shift in. Rinse and repeat.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
One can have the match winning assist & still play a shitty match. One play does not paper over the glaring issues.

Rajma

Should have been sold and upgraded long time ago. Hopefully we won’t be stupid enough to extend his contract though as part of the asset protection stategy.

edgecutter

You could almost forgive these performances as he didn't cost us a penny until you see the massive pay packet he's on each week

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
No point playing him as a 9, he's absolutely woeful in that position.

I suspect Ronaldo was benched during the window to protect him in case an opportunity to get rid of him materialised, with the window now closed my guess (hope) is that we'll start seeing more of him in the starting 11, not ideal, but he offers about 300% more than Rashford.

Newtonius

Hes lucky we don't have options in his position he was awful for the first two games at LW as well was just overshadowed by Maguire and Shaw.

Just so lazy can't wait until Martial and Antony come in to the team.

Last edited:

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
I believe this is imagination - there is no way he would be playing as much as he does if that is reality. People were saying the same after the Liverpool game until proven wrong by stats, and they were pretty much forced to backtrack against hard reality. Those stats are not readily available, though, to normal people - you only get to know when Sky/BT decide to show them.

He has played pretty much every minute of every game so far this season. This completely counters the idea that he doesn't try as there is no way Ten Hag would have him in the first team for so long. Ronaldo or Garnacho would have come in after the first two games.

Despite the criticism, he has actually significantly contributed to our last three goals. Assist today; The run that pulled the defenders away from the Fernandes to open up the space for the goal against Southampton; Goal against Liverpool. We have known for years that he is not a striker, but, despite that, he has been a reason we have been winning games.
I for one wasn’t saying that after the Liverpool game, he worked hard that day and played well. The second half today (in particular) he did neither. You’re right he still contributes towards goals, that is the only reason he is still in the team. The fact is that a bit here and there is not enough for any team that wants to be near the top of the table.

Ten Hag hasn’t replaced him because he simply had bigger fish to fry in order to stop us leaking goals like a sieve. I’m sure he sees the talent in Rashford, but once he realises this is what he’s gonna get 4 games out of 5, Rashford will be earmarked for upgrade. In fact, this was probably reason behind the Antony transfer. I’ll be shocked if, with both Antony and Martial available, Rashford starts. Ten Hag wants control, and you won’t be getting that with Rashford as your CF, or likely anywhere he plays.

El Jefe

He's an embarrassment as a striker. He played the position better as an 18 year old under LVG. Now his holdup play and ability to compete for aerial balls is nonexistent, he made Evans look like Nesta so can only imagine how he'll be against Saliba and Gabriel.

Ronaldo and Martial can't get into the team quick enough. He has his use on the LW but I can't take him as the striker anymore.

Olecurls99

Mixed bag tonight.
Passed well and didn't pass well
Worked hard then didn't work hard
Got stuck in then didn't bother other times.

Player in there still. Confidence and desire are the keys.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I almost dislike him. He leaves his teammates hanging. You see your teammates running their socks off and you stroll around.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Thought he had a decent game today linking the play up top and offering a threat in behind. He’s a better player coming in from the left with Martial ahead of him, but will need to regularly play up front due to a lack of other options. The fluid front threes comprising him, Martial, Sancho and Antony will suit him well. I continue to expect him to play the bulk of our meaningful minutes.

Walters_19_MuFc

Quite confused about the lazy comment but I guess this is what happens when someone has something in their mind.

On the ball; however, he needs to improve big time. Showed moments of good passing and link play, especially for the goal, which was a beautifully weighted ball for Sancho but he was way too sloppy and a lot of attacks broke down as a result of his sloppiness.

MrEleson

He was actually decent today imo. However his general footballing IQ is markedly below the likes of Sancho & Eriksen.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Hes lucky we don't have options in his position he was awful for the first two games at LW as well was just overshadowed by Maguire and Shaw.

Just so lazy can't wait until Martial and Antony come in to the team.
say what? martial?????

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Terrible player. Has no footballing IQ.

Andersonson

Best of the front 3 yet again. Also the one who gets most minutes. A lot of people have a agenda against him and that shows. He had a decent game and a very nice assist. He needs to start scoring though, but glad ETH seems to favor him

Pickle85

The number of people touting Martial above Rashford (and I am no Rashford lover) is legitimately staggering. Yes, he used to do some pretty dribbles but he's been terrible, and when he's not been terrible he's been injured, for the last three(?) or four(?) seasons.

Abraxas

He kept at it, until he ran out of steam in the second. I'm not sure his natural stamina is all that great. Very rarely does he maintain a full 90 mins the way some players can but today didn't seem like slackness.

But unfortunately his hold up play and decision making let things down again. Just shows how far off he is from the top strikers. Miles away at the moment.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
Best of the front 3 yet again. Also the one who gets most minutes. A lot of people have a agenda against him and that shows. He had a decent game and a very nice assist. He needs to start scoring though, but glad ETH seems to favor him
No offence but what the feck are you smoking? Absolutely horrible as he always is these days.

No idea how he gets 45 mins never mind a full game. The easiest pass to assist Sancho. He probably killed/destroyed about 4 or 5 really good positions by being a complete waster on top of his useless hold up/link up play

Lentwood

The number of people touting Martial above Rashford (and I am no Rashford lover) is legitimately staggering. Yes, he used to do some pretty dribbles but he's been terrible, and when he's not been terrible he's been injured, for the last three(?) or four(?) seasons.
That's because for all of his very obvious flaws and his penchant for continuing to flatter to deceive and for letting us down when it matters, Martial actually has some footballing ability

Djemba-Djemba

I thought he was absolutely rotten.

He is 100% not a centre forward and cannot be relied upon to do a job there, he can't hold the ball up, he doesn't make the right runs, he's no good in the air.

Plus his passing and decision making tonight was appalling. He got the assist but other than that I can't remember him doing much right, really really poor yet again.

Been out of form for so long now.

Pickle85

That's because for all of his very obvious flaws and his penchant for continuing to flatter to deceive and for letting us down when it matters, Martial actually has some footballing ability
When was the last time he showed that then? Except on tour, when it didn't matter.

UnitedRepublic

Martial FC coming for you Rashford you’re gonna get benched so hard you won’t know what hit you. Ten Hag likes players that got technical ability Rashford got none. Rashford can’t keep the ball to save his life when pressured. Keep making up fake PSG news.

TOKUGAWA-X

There is no chance Rashford will be a starter once we have a Sancho, Antony, Martial fully fit, those 3 are gonna be our trident this season.

UnitedRepublic

When was the last time he showed that then? Except on tour, when it didn't matter.
It’s not even about showing it’s just the mechanics of the way Martial plays football compared to Rashford. If Martial doesn’t score or assist he still contributes to the team in ways Rashford can’t and never will be able to do.

Valencia Shin Crosses

No offence but what the feck are you smoking? Absolutely horrible as he always is these days.

No idea how he gets 45 mins never mind a full game. The easiest pass to assist Sancho. He probably killed/destroyed about 4 or 5 really good positions by being a complete waster on top of his useless hold up/link up play
The beginning of the second half he killed three solid attacks within 60 seconds. Might have been a record.

Hal9000

I remember when he used to be able to run at people and take them on... Instead he just runs into them.

Banana Republic

These non-performances are not even worthy of a place on the bench.
Surely ETH will soon work out it’s not just a bad patch of form?

Lecland07

I for one wasn’t saying that after the Liverpool game, he worked hard that day and played well. The second half today (in particular) he did neither. You’re right he still contributes towards goals, that is the only reason he is still in the team. The fact is that a bit here and there is not enough for any team that wants to be near the top of the table.

Ten Hag hasn’t replaced him because he simply had bigger fish to fry in order to stop us leaking goals like a sieve. I’m sure he sees the talent in Rashford, but once he realises this is what he’s gonna get 4 games out of 5, Rashford will be earmarked for upgrade. In fact, this was probably reason behind the Antony transfer. I’ll be shocked if, with both Antony and Martial available, Rashford starts. Ten Hag wants control, and you won’t be getting that with Rashford as your CF, or likely anywhere he plays.
The thing is that we don't have a striker who will give more than 'a bit here and a bit there'. We just need to improve the situation next summer, or January if possible. Ronaldo, Martial, and Rashford all have issues, and people will get frustrated with all of them this season.

I'm not sure Martial will pin down the role. I do think people are forgetting that he has had an issue with work ethic over his time at Manutd. He was booed by Sevilla fans whilst he was on loan, due to his lack of effort. He is better at the hold-up role, but the lack of runs that he makes will be an issue. For me, Martial doesn't make the run that opens up the space for Fernandes - he has shown his reluctance to do this throughout his career. He will not press anymore than Rashford, either.

Rashford has flaws in the role, and it is clear he has never been a striker. But, despite playing out of position, he has still played a major role in our three wins. We cannot guarantee the same would have happened with Ronaldo or Martial.

acnumber9

He’s not and never will be a lone striker. Good first half, shit second. Much like the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.