2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
He looks well off in the clouds to me and that [non] goal celebration where Bruno and others had to actively prompt him to celebrate looked extremely odd to me.
Wouldn't be the first time.

The in-fighting actually went public when a player scored and barely celebrated. An enthusiastic teammate encouraged him to smile in front of a nearby camera, which only incensed the player, irritated by his teammate's apparent obsequiousness. This happened with United winning in a game they won.
MEN

The tension in the dressing room was palpable and, at times, barely concealed from the watching public. One United player broke a double-digit game goal drought but was in no mood to celebrate. A teammate saw this and cajoled and encouraged him to toast his goal with the supporters. Another teammate encouraged him to smile. The goalscorer eventually did both, albeit reluctantly. Immediately after the final whistle, of an away match which United won, a screaming argument ensued. The reluctant goalscorer was said to be furious at being 'sold out' by the player who encouraged him to celebrate. He was so incensed he refused to travel home with the team. The two didn't speak for months after this incident.
The Athletic

Somebody on Reddit went through all our goals that season and the only one that matched up was Rashford, on an 11 game goal drought, vs Brentford.

There's only highlights so you don't actually see the end of the celebration, just the start.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Not what I’ve seen. He’s been absolutely garbage all season long. And with a face like a slapped arse from day one. I actually have no idea what’s going on with him but trying to use this recent bereavement as an excuse for issues that clearly predate it doesn’t make any sense.
We don't know if the cousin was ill for a while before he passed do we?

We also don't know what else is going on in his life. He seems very affected by off the pitch things going off past history and he looks like he wants to be anywhere but on the pitch at the minute. The bit after the penalty he scored where he had to be forced to celebrate was odd at the very least wasn't it?

But equally I guess we don't know that it isn't just poor attitude and low confidence so it's guesswork until something official comes out.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Wouldn't be the first time.

MEN

The Athletic

Somebody on Reddit went through all our goals that season and the only one that matched up was Rashford, on an 11 game goal drought, vs Brentford.

There's only highlights so you don't actually see the end of the celebration, just the start.

Interesting but I’m with Rashford here. It’s the Roy Keane thing. Embarrassing to get giddy about scoring against teams you should be miles better than. And we were awful in that match.

Although on a side note, the fact it happened in the context of an 11 game goal drought speaks volumes. This season’s barren run is nothing new.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
We don't know if the cousin was ill for a while before he passed do we?

We also don't know what else is going on in his life. He seems very affected by off the pitch things going off past history and he looks like he wants to be anywhere but on the pitch at the minute. The bit after the penalty he scored where he had to be forced to celebrate was odd at the very least wasn't it?

But equally I guess we don't know that it isn't just poor attitude and low confidence so it's guesswork until something official comes out.
It’s all speculation but Rashford’s demeanour on the pitch has been miserable for years. See the post above for issues around not celebrating goals etc Now this could be a long term, low grade mental illness, I guess? Very low grade, mind you, because nobody is scoring as many goals as he did last season while suffering from any kind of significant mental illness. It could also be someone who doesn’t have the mental toughness and focus needed to make it at the top level. Or even someone who doesn’t enjoy playing football very much. None of us have a clue but I do t think you need to have much more convincing evidence than anything we’re working with here before labelling strangers as being mentally ill.

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Not what I’ve seen. He’s been absolutely garbage all season long. And with a face like a slapped arse from day one. I actually have no idea what’s going on with him but trying to use this recent bereavement as an excuse for issues that clearly predate it doesn’t make any sense.
Rashford has been well below standard all season, and there's no refuting that, but he was doing at least one or two things per game that, on another day would lead to goals (he's flashed a number of good crosses across the box that nobody has got on the end of, for example, but that gets lost in the din), but his last few offerings have looked like a nadir to me, like an absolute liability rock bottom where he is utterly uselss in both directions; 3 and 4 out of 10's have becomes 1's and 2's, so to my eyes, it looks like something has compounded and had him slip even further into whatever hole/funk he's in. That tweet came out in October, didn't it? His performances got worse and worse through November into the stage we're at now.

I don't see how bereavement can be summarily dismissed or just mushed into anything else that was going wrong prior to the event. It's an entirely different ball game, which is why it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if that was the root cause of what I think is his lowest ebb as a player.

In the short-term, I don't think he should be playing, but as I've said a few times, if he is really doing well in training, that negates that line of thought, but if he isn't, why would he be put out there on match day where all things intensify multiple fold?

Swiss_Red89

He has been horrible this season and his attitude stinks.
But his current spell out shows me that he definitely wasn't the main problem this year. On the contrary, his form last year was the main reason that made an average team look good.

ScholesyTheWise

He will end up in another team pretty soon,
signing for some team like Barca, Bayern, PSG...
who have a shot/are practically guaranteed to win a league title [one could wonder just how exciting it is to when to the French or German League] and have a shot at the CL.

Even with him being local and all that,
I don't think he wants to spend his entire career at a club with no real chance of competing for the more serious trophies.

He looks very very disinterested, and I don't expect it to change.

I believe his attitude will follow him wherever he goes, mind.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
who have a shot/are practically guaranteed to win a league title [one could wonder just how exciting it is to when to the French or German League] and have a shot at the CL.

I don't think he wants to spend his entire career at a club with no real chance of competing for the more serious trophies.

No chance teams like Bayern / Barca / PSG would want a one dimensional lazy bugger on their team.

Their wants would veto this deal and having a field day booing him nonstop if he played like how he played now. They have a very high standard, unlike us

ScholesyTheWise

No chance teams like Bayern / Barca / PSG would want a one dimensional lazy bugger on their team.

Their wants would veto this deal and having a field day booing him nonstop if he played like how he played now. They have a very high standard, unlike us
I agree with you re: the second line,
but I won't be surprised if the managers of these teams would feel that they can get a lot more out of Rashford, because the ability is there, supposedly.
And PSG are used to primmadonnas heh.

At Bayern it won't be accepted, yeah.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
He has been horrible this season and his attitude stinks.
But his current spell out shows me that he definitely wasn't the main problem this year. On the contrary, his form last year was the main reason that made an average team look good.
It’s shown that we’re a hell of a lot more solid, defensively, when he doesn’t play. Our press has looked more coordinated and effective than it has all season since he was dropped from the team.

Going forward we look completely toothless. But there’s no change there. It was the same when he was still getting picked.

Red_toad

Yet PSG have been linked to him constantly and are going to have a vacancy in Rashford's preferred position very soon. As his value will have dropped they will very likely be back in for him.

united for life

to be a manchester boy yet so disinterested is very weird. He is turning into a Martial when it comes to his body language. So irritating.

mctominay, to compare him to someone who went up the ranks at the club, is not the best player in the world but you can see his passion to do something on the pitch. Marcus lost interest and is so inconsistent. I would not mind selling him and giving the opportunity for garnacho to make the position his. He is showing proper potential

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I just searched for some old threads, and it's pretty incredible how many poor periods of form he had in past few years, people wanted him dropped for someone else every few months. Before his last season I think he went on similar 1,5 year period of shit form that people somehow forget too. You can' t even call his form hot and cold, it's more hot cold cold cold hot, cold cold, hot, etc. That's simply not worth it, because even at his best form his all around play is really average.

SER19

he's one of the last in a line of guys that just dont have the discipline or attitude and we need to allow any manager to clear them out. Pogba, greenwood, sancho, lingard, rashford. All just abysmal and more drama than they could ever be worth

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I was convinced he was gonna followup last season with a good season. I changed my mind. The gap between his top level and bottom level might be the worst Ive seen of any United player, including Nani.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I can see PSG being interested for real as they have the cash, and they are that kind of club. Imagine spending close to 300 million Euros to assemble an attacking line that consists of Dembélé, Rashford and Kolo Muani. And without Ed Woodward being your CEO... Surprisingly, if Xavi survives the sack, he'd actually be a good fit for this Barcelona side in the role of the SS who starts on the left and moves infield. I doubt they can afford him, though. It's rumoured that they want to wrap up the Felix deal at a price <50 million Euros. Bayern, i agree, they demand more things from their wide men than runs in-behind.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Thought he was really unlucky to get booked, barely even a foul

Nice to see him working back though, and put in a dangerous ball at the end that I'd like to see again? Feel like Hojlund might have got something on it?

Golden Nugget

Nice to see him working back though, and put in a dangerous ball at the end that I'd like to see again? Feel like Hojlund might have got something on it?
Felt the same. Got the ball and caught the guy on follow through. Not sure if that’s a foul or not but definitely a harsh yellow.

Combined really well with Shaw at the end and put in what seemed like a good cross - but yeah, no replays were shown on it.

Superunknown

Think the lack of replies says a lot. The fact that he's a sub in a game of this stature speaks volumes, too. He's a 26-year-old child.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Quite glad he didn't find a way to cost us the game.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
&quot;like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

I actually rewound that to watch it again after Carragher was trying to argue Hojlund had missed a sitter. It was too close to Allison, who got their first. Nice link up play between Rashford and Shaw though. Which has been one of our best attacking combos of the last few years.

Swiss_Red89

He came on and did his Job defensively. Very limited chances to get on the ball offensively.

criticalanalysis

I actually rewound that to watch it again after Carragher was trying to argue Hojlund had missed a sitter. It was too close to Allison, who got their first. Nice link up play between Rashford and Shaw though. Which has been one of our best attacking combos of the last few years.
It definitely was and I think Sturridge mentioned afterwards that Hojlund's stutter step movement was just him trying to find space. However, it's also true that he should have attacked the near post because in those situations, it's the highest probability ball. I am a little concerned about his movement because whilst he's quite dynamic, purposeful and willing, those darting near post/across goal runs don't seem to be that natural for him; I've noticed he does seem to going for the more cute/clever angles rather than the bread and butter opportunities.

Hopefully, it's something he can correct or learn with more games. It doesn't help that he hasn't got a goal in the league yet, he's feeding off scraps and that McTominay is basically cannibalising his areas but oh well.

Red_toad

Has to be a bench player from now on
Doesn't really, if he shows better form in his appearances from the bench than Garnacho or Antony, then he should rightly play. Can't just permanently bench the highest paid player at the club if he's showing he should be started.

Irwin99

In terms of workrate yes he should be but in terms of goal threat and creativity Antony and Garnacho aren't really providing anything either. Our attack is absolutely abysmal and it wouldn't surprise me if Rashford gets more chances because we're pretty desperate and we need him back to last year's form because we have no one else to score goals.

Doracle

I disagree. He’s levels above our other attackers and we need to play him either LW (preferably) or CF if we want to rest Hojlund. He’s literally the only player we have who has any history of scoring goals regularly. With a midfield that’s actually competent, we will start to see him being more involved and the goals will come.