stw2022

What does Rashford do:

1. Slide Hojlund in on goal.
2. Send Bruno in on goal, 1-v-1 against the GK
3. Ball over top for Pellestri wide open on the right
4. Reverse it to Mount on the left
5. Play it back safe to Amrabat or anyone else
6. Ronaldo-chop it straight into the defender and lose the ball

Almost every single time he makes not just the wrong decision but the very worst possible one a top footballer can possibly make.

He actively sabotages a large proportion of our play. Bench him and force him to improve. Right now his starting just validates it.
And these are moments those who declare him top class or our most dangerous player due to the number of shots he has, don't see.

Rashford's stock would have been rock bottom for a very long time if 'Most braindead decision with the ball in the final third' was an Opta stat.

kaku06

Vulgarian
XAVI ON JEAN MICHAEL SERI

When I was told that a Nice player was nicknamed the 'African Xavi', I followed him very closely.

"I watched matches and a ton of videos. I didn’t know him... and I was spellbound: I'm not used to seeing such a talent in midfield. Short passing, long passing, tactical intelligence, distance shooting, personality, organising play, that last magic pass... 'madre mia!'

"He would do very well at Barca! He can play anywhere in the middle. Seri is fantastic. I can say, without hesitation, that he has what we call 'Barca DNA'.
"

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
One of the least intelligent(on the pitch) footballers I’ve seen

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
If you read the quote that explain why we have issues. He is great in a counter attacking team. He needs to adjust his style. So far he has been used to just go for the goal. Now he needs to learn to pass.
I understand what his strengths are. Its not like we are not getting ETH bespoke players.

If he's the mainstay of the team, the responsibility is on ETH to maximise Rashford's abilities through player development or a change of our approach.

ETH has to be pragmatic enough to know that goals win games. Not possession.

We have all seen this movie before.

One thing consistent in his time here, ETH's teams don't score enough goals to be competitive. Rashford is our most dangerous player, the highest scorer over the past few years. It's ETH's job how he can maximise not only Rashford's abilities but also as a team -- to score more feckin' goals.

This is LVG 2.0

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
XAVI ON JEAN MICHAEL SERI

When I was told that a Nice player was nicknamed the 'African Xavi', I followed him very closely.

"I watched matches and a ton of videos. I didn’t know him... and I was spellbound: I'm not used to seeing such a talent in midfield. Short passing, long passing, tactical intelligence, distance shooting, personality, organising play, that last magic pass... 'madre mia!'

"He would do very well at Barca! He can play anywhere in the middle. Seri is fantastic. I can say, without hesitation, that he has what we call 'Barca DNA'.
"
:lol: well done

Marcelinho87

Kick and run merchant, his purple patches shouldn't be used to cover for his shortcomings... Needs dropping for a bit.

Lentwood

Kevin Phillips scored 30 goals a season once, it doesn't mean those who thought he wasn't capable to cut it at the topn level for the elite clubs were wrong.

The entire Rashford debate is summed up by those who think stats means he's good

He was garbage for large parts of last season too.
Exactly this - I keep reading "30 goals blah blah blah"...we played about 60-odd games last season, that's one in two, and he's our primary attacking outlet.

It's a "good" return, no more, no less. If that figure was 45 in 60, or 55 in 60, I'd forgive the constant running into blind alleys, that every move breaks down around him, the shooting from ridiculous angles, his one-footedness, his laziness, his failure to even attempt to challenge for headers and his sulking.

Having the odd season in three were you manage a return of one in two isn't good enough for the level we aspire to, certainly not when you factor in the overall flaws in his game

RedUnited86

One of our most dislikeable players for me. Selfish, lazy and thick, what's not to love :rolleyes:

Marwood

Who popped up with 41 GA last season in an underperforming United team. A 24 year old Ronaldo, in the greatest Man Utd team probably of all time, only managed 38 in 08/09.
Out of that stat though he got 17 in the league and only 4 of them came before the world cup I think. It's ok. Decent. Toney and Wilson scored more in the league.

His stats zoomed up in the league cup and Europa.

Don't particularly mean to downplay last season for him but it was just decent overall.

Hughes35

Great pace, good skills, good shot power..... Awful footballer.

Not much more to say about Marcus really. I'd said I'd have dropped him before the Palace game.

Think we should have sold him when we could have got big money.

Swiss_Red89

Yes he had a really bad start to the season and is currently out of form.
Yes his workrate withouth the ball is and was not good enough for a long time now.
And Yes he should be dropped and come from the bench for the next few games.

But to downplay his impact and contribution last season is just wrong. Without him we wouldn't have won the League Cup and withouth him we wouldn't be in the CL this season as he was involved in so many decisive goals.

Will be interesting to see what Ten Hag will do with him in the next weeks. The correct thing would be to take him out of the firring line and bring him on as a sub against tired legs, to hopfully build up his confidence and give him a reality check. And to give Garnacho a few games on CL/PL as a starter on the left. Can see ETH starting Rashford on the right tomorrow though.

fezzerUTD

Yes he had a really bad start to the season and is currently out of form.
Yes his workrate withouth the ball is and was not good enough for a long time now.
And Yes he should be dropped and come from the bench for the next few games.

But to downplay his impact and contribution last season is just wrong. Without him we wouldn't have won the League Cup and withouth him we wouldn't be in the CL this season as he was involved in so many decisive goals.

Will be interesting to see what Ten Hag will do with him in the next weeks. The correct thing would be to take him out of the firring line and bring him on as a sub against tired legs, to hopfully build up his confidence and give him a reality check. And to give Garnacho a few games on CL/PL as a starter on the left. Can see ETH starting Rashford on the right tomorrow though.
It’s all hypothetical, stop talking sht. Others may have played and contributed and more and we could have won those games by bigger margins. See what I did there? I made a load of sht up.

saik

Who popped up with 41 GA last season in an underperforming United team. A 24 year old Ronaldo, in the greatest Man Utd team probably of all time, only managed 38 in 08/09.
Yet, he wasn't even nominated for Balon d'Or after having a season with 41 goal contributions. People need to realise he's just not very good. Him and Bruno can only play counter attacking football. Games like against CP when teams sit deep, they struggle time and again. We've had this problem for years. Rashford especially has a knack for running down blind alleys without ever really getting his head up even when he is surrounded by 3-4 opposition players.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind if we sold every senior player from our squad in January. This club needs a huge reset. Decent players have been elevated to star player levels.

lex talionis

It’s safe to now that he needs to be dropped for two to four matches from the starting lineup. Garnacho could drop a turd, but give the boy a chance to drop his turd.

talking robot

Should be dropped and come on as a sub. Then he has to show in performances he’s better than Garnacho. Garnacho on the other hand should feel there is a real chance to take Rashford’s spot. Let them compete and the best player plays.

flameinthesun

His biggest weakness is running with his head down. Can that be coached? Or taught now?

And a lot of posters on here wonder why a lot of us have the view that Rashford may help you get Champions League football, but he won't help you win a league or champs league. He is the definition of a luxury player, a player we have to carry. If you asked people to have Rashford or Grealish a lot would say Rashford because of his goals, when Grealish would be better for the team. If you are wondering why we don't score cutback goals etc, your answer is there.

Born2Lose

7 appearances in the PL this season and an average of 4 shots per game.

28 shots with a return of 1 goal.

Long past time he was benched.

tomaldinho1

I wonder if in some way much of what we criticise him for can be traced back to academy coaching.

We have a whole bunch of academy graduates who play heads down, direct football. The onus was on getting themselves a shot off or dribbling the ball forwards, it's a common trait in all of McT, Rashford, MG, Elanga, Chong, there's very little guile to any of their games, it's much more 'cut and thrust', physical and predictable. MG was the most talented of this group and his game really ended up being make a yard of space on the edge of the box and rely on excellent finishing, it was hard to stop but you could see what he was going to try, with the added issue for a defender that he could go both ways. In a broken game with end to end direct balls, they are all good but the PL has moved on from that. The outliers in these groups were Gomes and Pereira who both were deemed not good enough to make it here. Incidentally, Pereira now plays in Bruno's role at Fulham and basically matched Bruno's PL creative stats last season. (Bruno goals per 90, 0.22 & Assists per 90, 0.22 vs Pereira goals per 90, 0.22 & Assists per 90, 0.20) if I am reading FBref right.

There comes a point with Rashford where you have to accept what he is and either a) drop him or b) build the team around him which basically means he is our prime goal threat, he doesn't have to track back and a CM will need to drop into the LW channel a lot more to cover him (this happened last season with Eriksen but since the move to an advanced 8 it doesn't as much). We've just given him a whopping new deal so it's clear we have to sacrifice something to get him firing again.

Banana Republic

More stats...... YAWN !

Since mid to late February this year (2 thirds through last season), after the Carabao Cup final, right up to today.

Played 26 games (EPL, Europa, CL & FA Cup)
6 goals
4 Assists

Over the same period, EPL only...
18 games played
4 Goals
3 assists

His total of 17 league goals over the last season, took his career league goal average up from 8 goals a season, to 9.5 goals per season.
That league goal average over the last 5 seasons is 11.8.
Not bad for a wide player, but not that good for a supposed main goal scoring outlet.

There's no taking away from Rashford's contribution of 17 goal and 5 Assists in the league last season.
Our overall goal tally was dire and without his 17 PL goals, we wouldn't be watching Utd in CL football this season.

But to repeat what has been said dozens of times already, 11 of those 17 goals came in a 2 month long golden spell, from Boxing Day to mid/late February.
By late March, Rashford was back to the frustratingly lacklustre to poor form that dogged all of his previous season and a half the one before that.
He's only been a prolific scorer in relatively brief spells, all his first team career.

This only covers his goal and assist contribution though.
There's a heck of a lot more that attacking and forward players need to to do, in contributing to the team's performance.
Otherwise they become a passenger or even a lead weight dragging down the team.
Rashford is definitely both of those at the moment and has been for large chunks of the last few seasons.

Last edited:

acnumber9

He’s had a shit start but who is creating chances for him? He’s getting slated for not scoring enough goals and not passing enough yet once again he is our second most creative player. He’s being tasked with leading a dysfunctional attack and scoring all the goals and creating all of them too. Maybe somebody else needs to step up and do something because teams know Rashford is our only threat and double mark him constantly.

Yakuza_devils

He can be as good as Bale if he start to develop a bit of football intelligence. He has all Bale's attributes including his fame "kick and run" football. The difference is Bale's a very intelligent and efficient footballer.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I wonder if in some way much of what we criticise him for can be traced back to academy coaching.

We have a whole bunch of academy graduates who play heads down, direct football. The onus was on getting themselves a shot off or dribbling the ball forwards, it's a common trait in all of McT, Rashford, MG, Elanga, Chong, there's very little guile to any of their games, it's much more 'cut and thrust', physical and predictable. MG was the most talented of this group and his game really ended up being make a yard of space on the edge of the box and rely on excellent finishing, it was hard to stop but you could see what he was going to try, with the added issue for a defender that he could go both ways. In a broken game with end to end direct balls, they are all good but the PL has moved on from that. The outliers in these groups were Gomes and Pereira who both were deemed not good enough to make it here. Incidentally, Pereira now plays in Bruno's role at Fulham and basically matched Bruno's PL creative stats last season. (Bruno goals per 90, 0.22 & Assists per 90, 0.22 vs Pereira goals per 90, 0.22 & Assists per 90, 0.20) if I am reading FBref right.
I’ve been saying this about our academy for a while now but I think the pressure makes it impossible to ever see us try bringing in young technicians into the first team.

tomaldinho1

I’ve been saying this about our academy for a while now but I think the pressure makes it impossible to ever see us try bringing in young technicians into the first team.
I don't know, Gomes was excellent and captained England across different age groups from memory - he was unlucky he came through when we had Mou (who debuted him but I doubt ever saw him in the team) and Ole who didn't really care for that type of player. That's not to say I think he would suddenly have solved our issues (I'm not sure he would have made it at all) but it's more about having a manager who plays that type of football which we thought ETH might be (and why I think the hope for Mainoo is so high) but so far it hasn't really turned out to be.

Swiss_Red89

It’s all hypothetical, stop talking sht. Others may have played and contributed and more and we could have won those games by bigger margins. See what I did there? I made a load of sht up.
Yes of course it's hypothetical, as so much other things discussed in this football form. Not impossible that one or two of the other Big hitters we had last season like Sancho, Weghorst, Antony or Martial would have step up in place of Rashford and fired the required Goals in to win us the League Cup and Top 4.
But still not very realistic.

So yes, I'am convinced that we wouldn't have won the League Cup and CL qualification without Rashford's contribution last season.

Last edited:

Winrar

His biggest weakness is running with his head down. Can that be coached? Or taught now?

0 awareness as to what goes on around him.

I know I'm comparing him to a different type of player in a different level, but you look at someone like Xavi who constantly looks around finding openings on and off the ball, and you look at Rashford who can't even be arsed to do a fraction of that. No wonder why any 9 playing with him struggles to make an impact.

Ted Lasso

Lads probably never seen some of Wayne Rooney's stinkers then.
Rooney was benched by Sir Alex when he was in poor form and it lit a fire up his arse and he never looked back.

Rashford would benefit to get the same treatment to force discipline into his game.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

Sorry for the facebook link, can't find youtube. Bebe's average performance was better.

Idxomer

Sorry for the facebook link, can't find youtube. Bebe's average performance was better.
Painful viewing and kills the idea of him not having a left-back letting him down. Our whole attacking plan is to get him in those dangerous attacking positions and he isn't really worth it. Salah or Saka get the ball in those situations and they likely walk away with a couple of assists. Rashford plays in the most nonchalant way expecting things to happen for him with as little effort as possible.

Born2Lose

Worst thing about it is you also get ZERO from him defensively.

28 shots this season in the PL and 1 goal to show for it. 17 of those shots blocked, plays for himself and no one else.

No coincidence how much better we looked when he was out of the team and we weren't so predictable and playing with 10 men defensively.

I'm sure he'll tap one in against Galatasaray and it'll be "Rashy's back".

the_cliff

Painful viewing and kills the idea of him not having a left-back letting him down. Our whole attacking plan is to get him in those dangerous attacking positions and he isn't really worth it. Salah or Saka get the ball in those situations and they likely walk away with a couple of assists. Rashford plays in the most nonchalant way expecting things to happen for him with as little effort as possible.
Good post.

I've been saying it to people a lot. People use the excuse that we have a dysfunctional attack, in the game against Palace there were plenty a time when Rashford was 1vs1 against his defender in a dangerous position and didn't do anything. Against low bloc teams this is when we need to take advantage, Rashford isn't going to get a one on one with the keeper against the low block, how many times do City and Arsenal get a one vs one opportunity when a team is up a goal against them and defending in a low bloc. Difference is Saka/Martinelli/Bernardo/Doku/Alvarez would've taken advantage of those opportunities by either beating the fullback and finding Haaland/Jesus/Nketieh in the box, beating the defender and scoring or creating a shooting opportunity for one of their 8s. Rashford just loses the ball....

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
You want to draw a conclusion from a home win against a second string Crystal Palace in a cup match they desperately want to get out of?

In what other serious game have we created anything properly?

I don’t even like Rashford that much, I don’t think he deserved his contract and still think we should have sold him and get a proper player. But the Palace match EtH failed him by his tactics of having him isolated.
No Im am saying in that game the LW did not attempt to take on 2/3 players at the same time and instead looked for passes. Which in turn helped us create openings and overloads by switches of play.

Rashford was not isolated against Palace no overlapping fullback does not mean isolation unless you always head to the touchline away from other forwards and midfield. He on multiple occasions has the passing option inside and chose not to take it.

acnumber9

For some reason it edits out his ball over the top for Hojlund’s chance. Why United fans want to make him look worse baffles me.

ClassOf'99

He’s had a shit start but who is creating chances for him? He’s getting slated for not scoring enough goals and not passing enough yet once again he is our second most creative player. He’s being tasked with leading a dysfunctional attack and scoring all the goals and creating all of them too. Maybe somebody else needs to step up and do something because teams know Rashford is our only threat and double mark him constantly.
Video above defeats your whole post, I see plenty of opportunities being created for Rashford to then create plenty of opportunities for team mates, none of which are taken nor supplied with any great effort.

This whole "nobody creates for him" arguement needs to end, he gets fed the ball very often and often he loses it straight after by playing selfishly.