g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Marcus Rashford image 10

Marcus Rashford England flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Would United AND himself be better of he had signed for Man City?
He would have to change a lot of things in his game. One argument could be that, had he been in City's academy, he would have developed into a different kind of player. But to play in Pep's team, you have to be trusted to dominate your designated zone on the pitch, both with and off the ball. If you can't, it's a dealbreaker, and these are usually the performances (and the players, if it goes on) that make Pep go berserk when you don't give him what he expects. This Rashford is nowhere near getting in that City first-xi.

crossy1686

career ending
Just as well they didn't plan it for lunchtime. He may have had to pull out of the matchday squad for fear of missing his big birthday bash!

Honestly, I'd live like a complete monk for 300k a week knowing you're likely going to retire in your mid 30's.

You can do all of that stuff and have all your fun when you've retired, or in the off-season. Footballers, and not just Rashford, but 99% of them are so out of touch with reality and the fans in the modern game.

To be fair, I'm surprised that EtH said anything about it at all. I'm not sure of the context or if he was asked by a reporter or whatever, but responding / acknowledging it just draws attention to more negativity.

Nobody would care if we were playing well and winning, so there's a bit of double standard there too. But I don't think it's controversial to say the optics are bad.
No you wouldn't.

Woodzy

Only just found out about him going out after the City game. The guy has the same mentality as Lingard and Sancho, just doesn’t care about football enough.

He gets a better rep because he’s been a more impactful player and because of his work outside of football but ultimately he doesn’t have the mentality.

Xaviboy

Imagine we had Keano as captain and rashford done that after getting humiliated by local rivals. Not acceptable end of. You would have to man up quickly. Younger generation of players can just forget about things like this now days. They move on without care.

You would hope Bruno had a word with him but he doesn't come across as that type of captain.

I would be ashamed to face people saying you lot where shit today and you where shit, city bashed you but end of day he walks away with 300k + plus a week so I'd say that's his mentality like few in the squad. No care.

Dorris

Almost as laughable as the opinion you can't leave your house if you're paid a certain amount of money.
Can’t leave your house and not get back until the early hours when you have training the next day and the same night as an embarrassing defeat*

Swedish_Plumber

Not to completely exonerate him or anything but it was his birthday and he probably needed to blow off some steam. It's unprofessional in that he had training the morning after but it's at least understandable/forgiveable. Can understand why people are going to be pissed off on here, but for me personally it's one of those you hand wave away and keep it internal, Fergie style. Rooney used to do it, get punished on the sly, and then rock up and smash teams. Of course it always helps when you're playing like Wayne Rooney did and not like Marcus does at the minute.

Ten Hags already got one wantaway star. Needs to be careful with the few he's got left. Don't want to let the media overblow this one it sounds like Marcus didn't do a lot wrong, really.
Your last point is the problem though. He’s not a naive youngster anymore. He should know that given the context of where we’re at, it’s going to be overblown. It just comes across like he doesn’t give a feck. Like he’s not in touch with the reality of what we’re going through.

I dunno, maybe it’s harsh to criticise someone enjoying their bday. But it’s just not a good look, especially when it already looks like we’ve downed tools on the pitch.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
How can you go from the best player last season to absolutely dreadful this season…

Hoof the ball

Mate they're human beings and young lads. They're not robots. You get the odd Ultra-professional player like Juan Mata, Cavani or whoever but mostly they're more like Phil Foden, just talented nobheads always pushing the line to see what they can get away with.
Rashford has finally graduated to the Lallana and Lingard stage of being a young lad at the age of 26. :D

AndyMUFC

The City thing might have worked in our favour, we clearly weren't going to drop him for performance reasons on their own so it's given us an excuse to drop him today.

EDIT: Ah okay so he's injured. Still given us a reason to drop him regardless :lol:

Last edited:

Hoof the ball

How can you go from the best player last season to absolutely dreadful this season…
As has been mentioned before, the productivity and rate of scoring last season mitigated some of the honest critiques of his game which still was a factor. For obvious reasons I can't dredge up all the statistics now, but even last season, there was a clear disparity between the scoring performance he achieved and the general performances he gave in-possession. He was scoring, and so many were willing to overlook that, but they were still present even last season, those same decision-making issues.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Schmeichel just said rashford got a knock in training yesterday and couldn’t finish the session. That’s why he was dropped - or that’s the official line anyway, as rashford apologised and EtH has accepted the apology.

whitbyviking

For the people saying “it’s only a birthday” consider the hypothetical; if you fecked up at work and had a big meeting the following day, which would be the first session in trying to resolve things would you be out celebrating the same night?

Would any of you even organise a night out on a “work night” for you birthday or would you wait until a more appropriate time and do something low key?

Now consider that 99% + of us don’t have a public image to protect, or are under press scrutiny. We are all professional in our own arena, Rashford is to some degree let’s be fair, but last weekend was not. This is why he apologised I would imagine.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Only just found out about him going out after the City game. The guy has the same mentality as Lingard and Sancho, just doesn’t care about football enough.

He gets a better rep because he’s been a more impactful player and because of his work outside of football but ultimately he doesn’t have the mentality.
It was his birthday, nothing unacceptable about going out for his birthday, you’re only 26 once. What was unacceptable was ETH calling him out in front of the press instead of keeping it internal.

crossy1686

career ending
Can’t leave your house and not get back until the early hours when you have training the next day and the same night as an embarrassing defeat*
Once a year on your birthday for an event your mates planned for you. Shocking behaviour I tell you, absolutely shocking…

Would it have been fine for him to do it if we won? Grealish is still out on the piss, no one cares.

Woodzy

It’s was his birthday, nothing unacceptable a year old going out for his birthday, you’re only 26 once. What was unacceptable was ETH calling him out in front of the press instead of keeping it internal.
You don’t go late night clubbing the night before training regardless of the occasion. On the back of another humiliating defeat makes it even worse.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
There’d be a lot less wrong with partying in public if you were killing it but they have to know the optics look terrible when you’re this bad, which just shows they don’t give a shit.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
There’d be a lot less wrong with partying in public if you were killing it but they have to know the optics look terrible when you’re this bad, which just shows they don’t give a shit.
But...why not separate on-pitch performances from what they do off the pitch? In other words, why care about these optics? Should players not do what they want in their private life?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
But...why not separate on-pitch performances from what they do off the pitch? In other words, why care about these optics? Should players not do what they want in their private life?
No. They have to follow certain rules. He's being paid millions each month. Part of that salary is a certain lack of freedom. Part of that salary is being publicly scrutinized for your work and part of that salary is behaving in a certain way because million of kids are watching your every move.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Imagine we had Keano as captain and rashford done that after getting humiliated by local rivals. Not acceptable end of. You would have to man up quickly. Younger generation of players can just forget about things like this now days. They move on without care.
During Keane's time (especially the earlier years, but it still happened later on as well) players would be at the pub and drinking all the time. They'd be involved in drunken fights, come into training hungover, etc. In reality almost all of todays generation are far more professional than they were 25 years ago, it's just that every little thing is reported all over social media (and therefore mainstream media also pick it up).

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I don’t understand what Ten Hag means when he says something is unacceptable. His vocabulary is limited so he probably also says his toddler staying up 10 minutes past bed time is unacceptable.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

You would hope Bruno had a word with him but he doesn't come across as that type of captain.

I would be ashamed to face people saying you lot where shit today and you where shit, city bashed you but end of day he walks away with 300k + plus a week so I'd say that's his mentality like few in the squad. No care.
I don't know what is all this shit about plsyers going out. What should he do? Stay home and cry?
If he wants to go out, let him. If he wants to drink 3 days in a row, let him. If he wants to feed the poor, great.
BUT also when fans boo player after awful performance that is ok too. What happens on the pitch, stays on the pitch.
Btw, during in Keano era players were drinking and going out more than ever.

eire-red

You wouldn’t live like a monk and you wouldn’t sacrifice having a life outside of football (if you can call going out for a few hours on your birthday a life…) for the sake of the pay.
Yes I would.

So would you.

Two can play this game.

Jev

Let me get this straight, he went to a pre-planned birthday party arranged by friends on his free time, and turned up for training the next day on time. Am I alone in failing to see the problem? ETH looks like a dinosaur disciplinarian to me calling that unacceptable.

Last edited:

Maik2022

Let me get this straight, he went to a pre-planned birthday party arranged by friends on his free time, and turned up for training the next day. Am I alone in failing to see the problem? ETH looks like a dinosaur disciplinarian to me calling that unacceptable.
I think if his performances wouldn't be so much worse than last year, nothing would have happened. When Rashy was on his run, he showed what he was capabale of and got a new contract, sweet talk has to be over.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
He's allowed to enjoy his birthday. What a bunch of idiots slating him, how do you even function in day to day life? I don't particuarly like Rashford (as a person) but come on, it's his birthday.

Stretfordender

Keep Rashford benched now, I couldn’t give two shits if he’s been out for his birthday and all that jazz. As a united fan what matters to me is that he gives his all for this club and stops sulking and strolling around like a wet weekend game after game. Rashford gets payed thousands a week,0 simply do your job you snowflake.

Keep him benched if he sulks let him do so and get rid, couldn’t care one bit he’s a local lad, if he’s not doing it then bye bye,