View full 2023-24 profile

4.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

justboy68

People were getting crucified and laughed at the whole of last year for previously wanting him gone. Now everyone is on the same page it seems like. I got suckered in by it last season too, should have stuck to my better judgment. Now we won't be able to get the same fee, if we can even flog him at all.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
People were getting crucified and laughed at the whole of last year for previously wanting him gone. Now everyone is on the same page it seems like. I got suckered in by it last season too, should have stuck to my better judgment. Now we won't be able to get the same fee, if we can even flog him at all.
Oh tell me about it.

He will perform for another 3 months for the new manager, land 600k pw contract and then revert to current form.

Easiest thing to predict.

Lentwood

And let's also have it right...he scored 17 goals in the Premier League in what is widely regarded as his best ever season.

17 is fine, but we're not talking about some kind of record-breaking season. I couldn't care less about goals in all competitions really because we know the opposition can be significantly weaker in cups, especially in Europa League seasons.

I have never been impressed or kidded even for one minute. I bet I have posts from 2019ish saying he's not all he blown up to be. It was obvious to people with an eye for a player - shame there's nobody at United who's a decent judge because I would have sold him for £80/90m four or five seasons ago.

Malons

And let's also have it right...he scored 17 goals in the Premier League in what is widely regarded as his best ever season.

17 is fine, but we're not talking about some kind of record-breaking season. I couldn't care less about goals in all competitions really because we know the opposition can be significantly weaker in cups, especially in Europa League seasons.

I have never been impressed or kidded even for one minute. I bet I have posts from 2019ish saying he's not all he blown up to be. It was obvious to people with an eye for a player - shame there's nobody at United who's a decent judge because I would have sold him for £80/90m four or five seasons ago.
Yeah, in truth he's always been a very poor footballer. At least at the levels we have aspired to. Technically there's nothing there. There really isn't. He is woeful in so many areas when you compare him to any of the top-level talent here or in Europe. He's absolutely dreadful and I mean that not in the sense he can't kick a ball about or run, or isn't capable of finding fleeting moments of form or beating a defender five or six times a season - I mean his average is a 3/10. When he scales the dizzy heights of a 5/10 game this place and the whole of social media react like they've seen the performance of the centurty.

What I think is interesting is the reluctance to call it out. You see people literally diagnosing him with health issues, injuries, speculating about his personal life, his relationships, his state of mind - all to avoid that nagging voice in their head that's whispering 'maybe he isn't very good'. It's quite bizzare. This munchausen syndrome by proxy en mass that seems to exist. Whole conspiracy theroies that border on the offesively intrusive simply because there's a consttituent of fans who will always refuse to admit he isn't a very good player.

troylocker

One of the most historyless post I've seen in a while.

When was the last time a Man United winger not named Rashford scored 17 in the PL or 30 in all comps? Ronaldo - 15 and 16 years ago (only scored 17+ in the PL twice and 30+ in all comps once for us). Before that? George Best!
Ryan Giggs (Club legend LW) scored more than 10 in the PL twice (11 and 13) in 24 seasons, Becks peaked at 11, Nani peaked at 9 and so on. Top wingers like Mane did it twice (18 ad 22), Son has scored 17 once and 23 once, Sterling's touched those number three times (17, 18 and 20), Hazard never scored 17 in a season, Saka's PB is 14.......Only Salah has been beating those numbers regularly as a wide forward.

I agree with a lot of the critizism he's got this season, but come on. He's obviously out of form and lacks motivation.

ETH lost the dressing room months ago, no one believes in his project anymore and he has the leadership, charisma and man management skills of a brick. I can't wait to see what a manager with just a little bit of man management skills can do with this squad (even Sancho) next season.

Rashford with his mind at the right place is a great player and easily one of the best LWs in the league. 60 caps at 26 means I'm not alone thinking he's among the best LW's in the country.

Malons

He's a wide forward, not a winger. Retconning him into being a midfielder as another way to deflect legitimate criticism.

Nickelodeon

When was the last time a Man United winger not named Rashford scored 17 in the PL or 30 in all comps? Ronaldo - 15 and 16 years ago (only scored 17+ in the PL twice and 30+ in all comps once for us). Before that? George Best!
Ryan Giggs (Club legend LW) scored more than 10 in the PL twice (11 and 13) in 24 seasons, Becks peaked at 11, Nani peaked at 9 and so on. Top wingers like Mane did it twice (18 ad 22), Son has scored 17 once and 23 once, Sterling's touched those number three times (17, 18 and 20), Hazard never scored 17 in a season, Saka's PB is 14.......Only Salah has been beating those numbers regularly as a wide forward.

I agree with a lot of the critizism he's got this season, but come on. He's obviously out of form and lacks motivation.

ETH lost the dressing room months ago, no one believes in his project anymore and he has the leadership, charisma and man management skills of a brick. I can't wait to see what a manager with just a little bit of man management skills can do with this squad (even Sancho) next season.

Rashford with his mind at the right place is a great player and easily one of the best LWs in the league. 60 caps at 26 means I'm not alone thinking he's among the best LW's in the country.
Across his United career, more than half the time has been spent as out of form or lacking motivation. Why should he lack motivation? Did the club make him one of the highest paid player for him to lose motivation? Even if the manager is out of his depth, there's no reason for Rashford to show the lack of commitment. On the contrary, tough times are where we want our highest paid players to stand up and make a difference. Rashford has been through multiple managers and we've seen these ups and downs too many times. If he truly cares for his football career, he should leave too. But don't think he will because he'll be happy to earn the massive wages and performing just enough that he has those purple patches but would never be the consistent player who can win you trophies. We should've realized this sooner and sold him when his stock was high. But now he's just another liability on our backs.

Leethal

Left wings historically did not play at all like the left wing nowadays. They got to the byline and whipped balls in, or beat a man and squared to the strikers. This cnut is the greediest player I’ve ever seen in a United team. And that’s saying a lot, since Cristiano Ronaldo played for us. I feel for his teammates, and surprised no one has truly blew up at him. Poor Hojlund.

Posh Red

Left wings historically did not play at all like the left wing nowadays. They got to the byline and whipped balls in, or beat a man and squared to the strikers. This cnut is the greediest player I’ve ever seen in a United team. And that’s saying a lot, since Cristiano Ronaldo played for us. I feel for his teammates, and surprised no one has truly blew up at him. Poor Hojlund.
What, like Hazard, who even played centrally a fair amount? Or Mane? Or Saka?

Marwood

He's not a winger like the guys you've compared him to.

Their primary function was to feed the two strikers on the pitch.

Very different from Rashford's role.

troylocker

He's not a winger like the guys you've compared him to.

Their primary function was to feed the two strikers on the pitch.

Very different from Rashford's role.
You mean like Mane, Son, Saka, Hazard, Sterling.......feed the #9s ? All ridiculously good players.
Of course it's not comparable to the good old 442 wingers, but the point is that 17 goals in the PL and 30 goals in all comps is great numbers for a winger and there's no point in downplaying that or trying to normalize it. There's only been a handful of wide forwards/wingers who's been able to pull numbers like that in the PL, and only one for us. Saying that it "is shit and does'nt impress you" doesn't make it true.

I think a lot of the critizism against him this season is deserved, but he his top level is still great. With the right management I think we can get him to perform at that level consistantly.
PS! I even think there's hope for Sancho with the right management.

Hughes35

Selling Rashford is critical this summer.

1. The money for a rebuild / FFP. Being homegrown, £80Million added to the books would go a long long way.
2. Make a statement that we don't accept lazy players at the club anymore.
3. He's been awful and we can massively upgrade so we play better football.

Really really hope PSG need a new poster boy.

Leethal

What, like Hazard, who even played centrally a fair amount? Or Mane? Or Saka?

You mean like Mane, Son, Saka, Hazard, Sterling.......feed the #9s ? All ridiculously good players.
Of course it's not comparable to the good old 442 wingers, but the point is that 17 goals in the PL and 30 goals in all comps is great numbers for a winger and there's no point in downplaying that or trying to normalize it. There's only been a handful of wide forwards/wingers who's been able to pull numbers like that in the PL, and only one for us. Saying that it "is shit and does'nt impress you" doesn't make it true.

I think a lot of the critizism against him this season is deserved, but he his top level is still great. With the right management I think we can get him to perform at that level consistantly.
You said United wingers. The wingers prior to Rashford, for United, fed the strikers.

Marwood

Not comparable correct but you did compare them in Giggs and Beckham.

There's no denying that's a good number of goals but we also know they came in a 2 month spurt halfway into the season.

We also know outside of goals Rashford gives you very little. So he has to be hitting those numbers consistently to warrant his place.

As opposed to the other wide players you mentioned who give you much more.

troylocker

1. The money for a rebuild / FFP. Being homegrown, £80Million added to the books would go a long long way.

Please tell us who we could sign that is a massive upgrade on him and would cost us 80M or less.

Do you think it's impossible for a new manager to get a tune out of him?
Let a new management have a go with the players who has the highest ceiling before selling them off? No?

Wouldn't you rather upgrade the defense and midfield first? Where we have serious problems (among the worst defenses in the league, can't control games, being ran over every game, etc.).

Jund

I don't think holding on to him would bring us closer to a PL win or a good performance in the CL. He feels so...Everton.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich

It really is PSG or nobody though, and even then I don’t see them paying £80m AND covering his wages.

If I was Utd owner I’d be looking at selling him too, but you might have to significantly drop your price, and be prepared to pay a contribution towards the remainder of his contract. Outside of the Prem (and Saudi) there are probably only 2 clubs who could pay those wages, Madrid and PSG, and it definitely won’t be the former.

HookedOnAPhelan

Please tell us who we could sign that is a massive upgrade on him and would cost us 80M or less.

Let a new management have a go with the players who has the highest ceiling before selling them off? No?

Wouldn't you rather upgrade the defense and midfield first? Where we have serious problems (among the worst defenses in the league, can't control games, being ran over every game, etc.).
We said this when Ten Hag was hired as well. And it looked like he did during that first season, before he reverted to type.

I find it strange that people are still willing to defend Rashford. Surely at some point enough has to be enough?

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
We said this when Ten Hag was hired as well. And it looked like he did during that first season, before he reverted to type.

I find it strange that people are still willing to defend Rashford. Surely at some point enough has to be enough?
It’s weird isn’t it. If Rashford was a player at another big club, and he was viewed by Utd fans in a more objective way, can you imagine any Utd fan still expecting him to be an elite player? And/or buy him for £80m/ pay him £300k a week. Not a chance they would think like that.

Vidooq

I doubt that he will want the switch, plus we are not ruthless enough to push out players. He will be here for at least another season.

QuietOn Fortune

It’s weird isn’t it. If Rashford was a player at another big club, and he was viewed by Utd fans in a more objective way, can you imagine any Utd fan still expecting him to be an elite player? And/or buy him for £80m/ pay him £300k a week. Not a chance they would think like that.
Another big club wouldnt reallt have Ten Hag in charge buying Amrabat :lol:

I think Rashford would look perfectly fine instead of Martinelli at Arsenal.

Hughes35

On the shortlist off the top of my head to replace Rashford: Mitoma, Gibbs-White, Bowen, Olise, Oyarzabal.

I'd also heavily go for Kvaratskhelia who would cost more but is just unbeliavble. I'd have also loved Savio but City have beaten us once again to the next star. And that's just a very quick list. People always make out like the world has zero options, of course it does.

I think it is very very very unlikely any manager can geta tune from Rashford. I just don't think he's that good.

In terms of the "which do we upgrade first". We need to (And we will) upgrade multiple positions so don't really understand this point of view. We MUST improve the attack and the midfield. We ideally need to improve the defence too but we will at least have bodies there with some quality if Martinez can sort himself out.

troylocker

On the shortlist off the top of my head to replace Rashford: Mitoma, Gibbs-White, Bowen, Olise, Oyarzabal.

I'd also heavily go for Kvaratskhelia who would cost more but is just unbeliavble. I'd have also loved Savio but City have beaten us once again to the next star. And that's just a very quick list. People always make out like the world has zero options, of course it does.

I think it is very very very unlikely any manager can geta tune from Rashford. I just don't think he's that good.

In terms of the "which do we upgrade first". We need to (And we will) upgrade multiple positions so don't really understand this point of view. We MUST improve the attack and the midfield. We ideally need to improve the defence too but we will at least have bodies there with some quality if Martinez can sort himself out.
Will any these players be a massive upgrade on Rashford? I mean, good players, but sideways moves at best. Mitoma, Olise and Oyarzabal all have problems staying fit. Bowen and MGW? You would swap Rashford for one of these five?
Kvaradona would be fun, but I doubt we have enough appeal at the moment.

Hughes35

Will any these players be a massive upgrade on Rashford? I mean, good players, but sideways moves at best. Mitoma, Olise and Oyarzabal all have problems staying fit. Bowen and MGW? You would swap Rashford for one of these five?
Absolutely. I'd swap any of those players for Rashford in a heartbeat..... And you'd save money on the transfers + about 200K per week in process. They all work harder and fit in a to a team wayyyy better than Rashford does.

Irwin99

See this is the problem for me, when we say 'with the right management'- His form was pretty poor towards the end of the 20-21 season under Ole and then he had an absolutely terrible season the following year under Ole and Ralf. He had a great year last year and is now having a bad year again. Are we blaming every manager for that? Are we blaming the manager for his workrate in the Newcastle game that even had English pundits have a go at him? It's just not a good look.

I honestly thought his workrate was pretty good in the 2-2 draw recently and he's being over-criticized for that but I feel people want Rashford to play at the level of prime Salah, Henry, Ronaldo for the money and status he has and he's just not that good. You can forgive him that but on the occasions where his workrate is poor and he looks really sulky it's just irritating to fans.

Also, as Cole Palmer is showing you can still perform to a high level in a struggling team. Salah hit 30 goals last season when Liverpool finished 5th, Roy Keane was in the PFA team of the year when Forest were relegated, Shearer hit plenty of goals for crappy Newcastle sides etc. Sometimes it just feels like a long list of excuses.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

:lol: this is the problem with this team.
We did it with Martial and Pogba under Jose and Rashford under Rangnick

This needs to be a high performance environment, if you have not performed in 2 years get out of the club. Sancho has been here under 2 managers + 1 interim across 3 years and has not delivered.

troylocker

Absolutely. I'd swap any of those players for Rashford in a heartbeat..... And you'd save money on the transfers + about 200K per week in process. They all work harder and fit in a to a team wayyyy better than Rashford does.
And you’d expect to be on the right path to winning trophies?

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Sideway moves on the pitch, massive relief on wages which can go towards more deserving players.

And you need to realise, we’re not replacing the Rashford who scored 30 goals a season, we’re replacing the version that does feck all on the pitch because that’s the version that usually appears. He can go somewhere else and perform for 3 months every 2 years. We’re not good enough to tolerate that kind of form.

clarkydaz

Who was manager last year for his best season when he was scoring and doing his silly celebration all season? ETH made him his main guy, backed him to the hilt when people were demanding he was dropped. How does Rashford repay him? Goes out on the piss and lies to his manager. The guy is uncoachable for a top team, get rid. The club is absolutely pathetic pandering to him

Last edited:

Lentwood

Yeah, in truth he's always been a very poor footballer. At least at the levels we have aspired to. Technically there's nothing there. There really isn't. He is woeful in so many areas when you compare him to any of the top-level talent here or in Europe. He's absolutely dreadful and I mean that not in the sense he can't kick a ball about or run, or isn't capable of finding fleeting moments of form or beating a defender five or six times a season - I mean his average is a 3/10. When he scales the dizzy heights of a 5/10 game this place and the whole of social media react like they've seen the performance of the centurty.

What I think is interesting is the reluctance to call it out. You see people literally diagnosing him with health issues, injuries, speculating about his personal life, his relationships, his state of mind - all to avoid that nagging voice in their head that's whispering 'maybe he isn't very good'. It's quite bizzare. This munchausen syndrome by proxy en mass that seems to exist. Whole conspiracy theroies that border on the offesively intrusive simply because there's a consttituent of fans who will always refuse to admit he isn't a very good player.
I have a theory about why some posters cling desperately to the idea of Rashford as a world-class talent and that's because they're the type of balloon who mindlessly hyped him (and every single other youngster the club produces) with absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

If you spend all your time droning on to your mates about how 'this Rashford kid is the real deal' it's tough for you then to climb down from that and go "actually, I haven't the first idea what I was talking about!"

The bit I have never understood is why numerous managers have tolerated it. They should have known better. Only thing I can think is that he's one of those you see now and then who is absolutely amazing in training, playing at 80% tempo, with his mates, behind closed doors...but can't replicate that consistently when it matters - on match day! We've all played with lads like that from the Sunday League and up!

miliebrowndivorceattorney

You are aware that mr ''needs a push in the right place of mind'' has put 10 milion pounds salary on his estate the last 6 months? Don't you think a player getting 375 thousand pounds per week, oughta be able to pump himself up a bit if not for Ten Hag then for the club and the people paying those wages? You make it sound A okay that this guy on superstar wages just clocks the minutes and that is that.

And what more man management did you had in mind for Sancho? A guy that got a 3 month mental rehab in the middle of a season with no strikers available? 6 months xbox therapy? Also on 320 thousand pounds per week?

Malons

I have a theory about why some posters cling desperately to the idea of Rashford as a world-class talent and that's because they're the type of balloon who mindlessly hyped him (and every single other youngster the club produces) with absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

If you spend all your time droning on to your mates about how 'this Rashford kid is the real deal' it's tough for you then to climb down from that and go "actually, I haven't the first idea what I was talking about!"

The bit I have never understood is why numerous managers have tolerated it. They should have known better. Only thing I can think is that he's one of those you see now and then who is absolutely amazing in training, playing at 80% tempo, with his mates, behind closed doors...but can't replicate that consistently when it matters - on match day! We've all played with lads like that from the Sunday League and up!
To answer that question you'd have to consider who Rashford is to the club. What he represents. The contract he has demonstrates the position he holds as far as the club is concerned. He was identified, promoted and maybe even protected as the golden boy. One of our own; the shoulders on which so much hope was placed. I think if Rashford was on the same contract, at the same position, at the same club, but his background was someone who we signed as a 19 year old protegee from the French leagues, I think there'd be a lot more written about his influence in the dressing room and higher. There haven't been many managers recently who have been in a strong enough position to challenge that profile of player. And we've seen the leaks happen as soon as someone does and it doens't end well for them.

I don't think you'll get to the bottom of the question 'why do managers tolerate Rashford?' until we stop buying into this PR that he's just a humble lad, from a humble background, humbly trying to kick a ball about the pitch and nothing more.

Vidooq

No player should have more power than the manager/club. I believe Ten Hag is not taking him on at the moment because he is short-staffed in that department big time, like 2-3 bodies needed. Rashford is the only player that can resemble a striker if Hojlund gets injured, as Martial is already in Milano with his mind. So to go against him at the moment would be suicidal.

Sancho took it too far, publicly, and there was no way back with him.

It was easy for Fergie to sell players that would not listen to him, when he had the numbers and the quality needed.

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
To answer that question you'd have to consider who Rashford is to the club. What he represents. The contract he has demonstrates the position he holds as far as the club is concerned. He was identified, promoted and maybe even protected as the golden boy. One of our own; the shoulders on which so much hope was placed. I think if Rashford was on the same contract, at the same position, at the same club, but his background was someone who we signed as a 19 year old protegee from the French leagues, I think there'd be a lot more written about his influence in the dressing room and higher. There haven't been many managers recently who have been in a strong enough position to challenge that profile of player. And we've seen the leaks happen as soon as someone does and it doens't end well for them.

I don't think you'll get to the bottom of the question 'why do managers tolerate Rashford?' until we stop buying into this PR that he's just a humble lad, from a humble background, humbly trying to kick a ball about the pitch and nothing more.
He's so humble when he crashed that expensive RR of his on the side of the road. Or when he flied to Belfast to get tequila-hammered a day before match. His schoolboy persona is a carefully crafted one by his PR team. I am not saying he's an evil person but he's not as innocent and clean as the image he/his team projected in the media. There are stories about him refusing to acknowledge academy players in training

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Any winger who isn’t thick as a plank, is willing to run and has some quality, would be a better alternative to Rashford. On top of that he’s being paid a fortune too.

Rashford is backup left winger material. The problem is that he doesn’t work hard and is paid like one of the best players in the league. Another gift from prior regimes / management will hang heavy over us for years.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I don't know your age but I assure you then when Kanchelskis and Ince left United that what massive. Kanchelskis was as effective on the right as Giggs was on the left while Ince was the best DM in the EPL. United weren't even able to bring replacements which meant that we were set to play with Keane as DM (Keane was a B2B midfielder at the time and had little experience in a deeper role), a very unconventional RW for the time ie Beckham and a forward in CM in Scholes. Sure these players were gifted and would end up becoming legends but back then, they had little experience in those roles/in the EPL. Guess what? We ended up better then before. The reason was that all negative vibes generated by Kanchelskis/Ince was gone and the squad stuck together. 2 years later Eric Cantona left and he was replaced with Teddy Sheringham who was clearly an inferior player. I remembered being pelted by Liverpool fans because of it. Again not only United didn't suffer with that but it thrived. That's because Eric's aura was far too big for players to ignore which meant that everyone looked at him before passing the ball. That made us predictable (Lippi's words not mine). Once Eric was gone, that mentality changed and everyone became an outlet for goals.

Rashford barely contribute defensively. He expects to be given a lion share of chances and he simply doesn't score goals or create as many chances to deserve that. On top of that he's on 300k a week. Therefore we've got a high earner/senior player who simply jogs around for most of the time and who expects to be kept in the thick of the action with barely any end product to show for it. That creates friction in the squad (why is he playing while I am not?), it makes us unpredictable and its unsustainable financially and football wise.

So yes, I would swap him with someone who might not be as good technically but would put a shift in. God knows how much we need someone who can drop deep, help the midfield out and who thinks that giving an assist to Hojlund is a viable option as opposed to try and score himself every single time.

troylocker

Swapping lazy, overpaid players for hungry hard working players that also have quality?

Yes, of course that's the right path.
Do you really think any of the 5 players you mentioned would be starting for City? Like I said, good players for sure, but not good enough to improve our starting eleven or elevate the team, never mind titlecontenders. Those are players you would buy as cover/rotation options for your starting eleven.

None of the players we have right now are performing to their own standards right now, and that's down to the management. Every player in our squad is playing at a level far below their actual quality or potential. I would let a new management assess our entire squad and have a go with them, before selling good players and replacing them with similar or worse quality players. New manager -> clean sheets

Rashford is definitely not our weakest link.