Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Other than the social media bit (and frankly I'd be surprised if he spends anything but a short period of time on it helping kids), you've just described all footballers though
Well the “social media bit” is obviously going to take up more headspace for him than most footballers. Quite apart from dealing with trolls and arseholes you can’t immerse yourself in the difficult lives of others without taking on some of that burden yourself.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
The thing is, he has been poor, but at the same time if you asked everybody here before the season starts, that Rashford in February would have 16 goals and 11 assists (including 6 goals in 6 CL games, no matter how that ended), I think most people would take that. So if anything, it bodes well for Marcus IMO that despite his poor decision-making and lack of success in his take-ons, he's still coming out with a solid output, even if it has slowed down recently.
True.

Also makes you think what his numbers would be like if he’d maintained his all round game at the level we were seeing in the run of form up until he broke his back.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Well the “social media bit” is obviously going to take up more headspace for him than most footballers. Quite apart from dealing with trolls and arseholes you can’t immerse yourself in the difficult lives of others without taking on some of that burden yourself.
I do get that, i have no evidence that you are wrong but you must admit there's a lot of guesswork. Maybe it's the bored footballers in bad relationships who are suffering. Or the single ones. Lots of factors define happiness and we are barely able to recognise them in ourselves, let alone in other people.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I do get that, i have no evidence that you are wrong but you must admit there's a lot of guesswork. Maybe it's the bored footballers in bad relationships who are suffering. Or the single ones. Lots of factors define happiness and we are barely able to recognise them in ourselves, let alone in other people.
Sure. It’s pure speculation. But he definitely doesn’t look like he’s enjoying his football. And there are obvious, plausible reasons for this.

Stacks

The thing is, he has been poor, but at the same time if you asked everybody here before the season starts, that Rashford in February would have 16 goals and 11 assists (including 6 goals in 6 CL games, no matter how that ended), I think most people would take that. So if anything, it bodes well for Marcus IMO that despite his poor decision-making and lack of success in his take-ons, he's still coming out with a solid output, even if it has slowed down recently.
He is always good for 20+ goals and 15+ assists maybe more which are very solid numbers. He obviously has major floors in other areas outside of production. Its like he has tier 4 production but is a tier 3/2.5 performer (if you average it out).

means he must play as he will always positively impact the game and has the quality but will do annoying things. reminds me of Nani (who I rated highly).

I reckon if Pep coached him he would improve a lot on a personal level.
It's like he's always trying to score goal of the season. He beats one player with a nice piece of skill. Then tries to beat another two players and gives the ball away when he should be passing it. This happens 3-4 times each game, and it's so predictable and frustrating. He doesn't create nearly enough for other players.
He needs to be far less selfish.

The work-rate aspect is still the hardest thing to get past, for me personally. Form can come and go - obviously less so for the real elite players - but his effort level game after game has got to a ridiculous point.

He's in the bottom 1 percent of players across multiple 'effort' categories, when compared against every wide forward/AM in the Big 5 leagues.

Quite literally walks through games. Hard to overstate how bad those numbers are.

I checked out our other forwards too. I find them interesting, but I know not everyone will - so I don't want to post 4 more huge images filled with numbers...so just as a brief rundown for anyone interested:
  • Greenwood is putting up much better figures than I expected on the other side - around league average over the season so far. Just taking into account 2021 (around when his form started to pick up again) that's gone even higher, to the point that he's surprisingly been one of the more impactful forwards in the league for defensive contribution.
  • Martial's numbers are better than Rashford's by quite a bit, but still well below league average.
  • Cavani and Bruno are just two of the hardest workers in the game...you can tell just by watching them, but the numbers really do back it up in a big way.

troylocker

Brolin was the biggest signing in world football in 1995, my man.

And, seeing as you clearly aren't getting my point.. this is EXACTLY what I mean. You can but the best players in teh world, but it don't mean they'll work out for you. Brolin in 1995 beingmy example.

But that went over your head.
I understand and agree that having an academy player coming through the ranks at the academy and spend his entire career as a key player for the club has enormous value for any club. Stuff of legends. I would find it hard to trade him too, but if I had the opportunity to trade him for the best of the best I would definitely consider it.

When it comes to Thomas Brolin. No, no and no!
An unfit 26 year old Brolin went to Leeds because he was struggling to get minutes at Parma. He made 15 apps for Parma from 1993 to 1995 in Serie A. He was a good player at his peak, but never close to world class. To compare that to buying Mbappe, Haaland or any other world class talent or an established world class player like KDB that would make an instant impact in the team is just absurd. Noone in their right mind would swap Brolin for anyone in our first 11 in 1995.

Last edited:

Mr Smith

The work-rate aspect is still the hardest thing to get past, for me personally. Form can come and go - obviously less so for the real elite players - but his effort level game after game has got to a ridiculous point.

He's in the bottom 1 percent of players across multiple 'effort' categories, when compared against every wide forward/AM in the Big 5 leagues.

Quite literally walks through games. Hard to overstate how bad those numbers are.

I checked out our other forwards too. I find them interesting, but I know not everyone will - so I don't want to post 4 more huge images filled with numbers...so just as a brief rundown for anyone interested:
  • Greenwood is putting up much better figures than I expected on the other side - around league average over the season so far. Just taking into account 2021 (around when his form started to pick up again) that's gone even higher, to the point that he's surprisingly been one of the more impactful forwards in the league for defensive contribution.
  • Martial's numbers are better than Rashford's by quite a bit, but still well below league average.
  • Cavani and Bruno are just two of the hardest workers in the game...you can tell just by watching them, but the numbers really do back it up in a big way.
Surprised this post isn't getting more interest. It's a little alarming to see Rashford's work rate so low (the fact that he's below Martial says a lot about certain narratives). I do wonder whether he might have just overcorrected though, as previously he used to buzz around everywhere; the coaching staff might have told him to slow down and conserve his energy a bit more. Either way, its something you'd hope to see improve.

OmarUnited4ever

This is very interesting to see, but i think its tactical in some games for Rashford not to trackback or be part of the defensive shape when out of possession to allow for quick counter attacks.

Olecurls99

His stats this season show he's in that tier just below Salah and Son. (Barnes, Mahrez, Sterling etc). That's about right.

Hopefully he can kick on and become elite. There's still time for him to do it. We need another one like him to help carry the load next season. Jack Grealish be the answer to Rashfords unlocking.

Last edited:

gajender

His stats this season show he's in that tier just below Salah and Son. (Barnes, Mahrez, Sterling etc). That's about right.

Hopefully he can kick on and become elite. There's still time for him to do it. We need another one like him to help carry the load next season. Jack Grealish be the answer to Rashfords unlocking.
Both of them have Left sided attacker as their best position though both play the role differently if Grealish comes here he would eventually displace Rashford from there as he is simply better then Rashford currently and I can only see gap widening once Grealish starts playing with better players ,it would require Rashford to improve his overall game immensely to take his place back from Grealish which I can't see happening or adapt to a different position on the Pitch entirely if he wants to regular for us which would only benefit us in long run.

Cast5

Rashford is out of form and still getting goals and assists, that’s a positive not a negative as some people have tried to make out. Imagine when he hits form?! Rashford gets loads of stick for his “decision making” by the same people who want us to sign people like Saint-Maximan and Traore, you couldn’t make it up.

16 goals and 11 assists from the wing so far is an amazing season, Son has 16 goals 11 assists, Mane has 10 goals 4 assists. Other teams fans rave about their best players, ours moan about them.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Rashford is out of form and still getting goals and assists, that’s a positive not a negative as some people have tried to make out. Imagine when he hits form?! Rashford gets loads of stick for his “decision making” by the same people who want us to sign people like Saint-Maximan and Traore, you couldn’t make it up.

16 goals and 11 assists from the wing so far is an amazing season, Son has 16 goals 11 assists, Mane has 10 goals 4 assists. Other teams fans rave about their best players, ours moan about them.
He has had some great moments, but lately had some stinkers too. All we ask for is consistency but it feels like he can’t score right now, he should have taken that chance at 3-2 to seal the game.

We know our defence is shaky so we can’t afford to miss good chances.

On top of this he seems to be losing the ball in possession more than ever, and his defensive work rate is non existent.

I really like rashford and on his day he can be genuinely world class, but he is under performing for his talent. We need a big game from him today.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Is he really out of form or is it just his style? I am guilty more than anyone for criticising him for at times looking really raw but as the years have progressed, it seems like that is part of his make up. He is very unorthodox and constantly trying things with the ball and it can look like he does now know what he is doing but then when it clicks, it is spectacular.

He is someone who plays on the edge and does not care if he makes many errors as long as he is brave enough to make that match winning moment - a bit like Kobe Bryant in terms of mentality.

I think we overlook his many positives by trying to box him into a certain mould i.e. he needs to pass and move perfectly and have flawless ball control and decision making, which in turn would make much more conservative and easier to defend against. He is getting more smoother with the passage of time, but I do think the extent of the criticism is unwarranted on the whole.

Olecurls99

Both of them have Left sided attacker as their best position though both play the role differently if Grealish comes here he would eventually displace Rashford from there as he is simply better then Rashford currently and I can only see gap widening once Grealish starts playing with better players ,it would require Rashford to improve his overall game immensely to take his place back from Grealish which I can't see happening or adapt to a different position on the Pitch entirely if he wants to regular for us which would only benefit us in long run.
He's actually been more effective on the right this season. He's all the attributes to be a cracking right sided attacker.

phonics_tid

Your Mother Was a Hamster and Your Father Smelt of

Very good post.

I’ve been saying to friends for months now that his general application has visibly reduced and I’m completely stumped as to why. His tracking bad for example has been abysmal, theres at least a couple of times per game where he should be closing down a player and he either just stands still or gives up.

I know there’s been some posts on whether or not he’s still carrying a back injury, if that’s the case I’d really prefer to see him out the side with Martial taking up the left side of attack until Rashford recovers. If it’s attitude I’d like to think Ole is all over it.

Still a wonderful player and his numbers this season have been decent but I worry if he doesn’t sort this out he really won’t kick on to the level he should be at.

Feed Me

I'm hungry

Christ! Never let it be said that Marcus needs a rest. Tbf, it may be tactical, in that he’s being allowed to ‘cheat’ by the coaches. It’s never a great look, though, to be that low when assessed against such benchmarks.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This is very interesting to see, but i think its tactical in some games for Rashford not to trackback or be part of the defensive shape when out of possession to allow for quick counter attacks.
It's fine not to drop completely deep to track runners but when not in possession his work rate is poor even in middle and final third. He really should step up.

OmarUnited4ever

It's fine not to drop completely deep to track runners but when not in possession his work rate is poor even in middle and final third. He really should step up.

I did notice that too, hopefully Ole asks him to put in more effort in his pressing and off the ball workrate

Last edited:

GoldTrafford99

What nonsense.

Marcus Rashford, per game, has covered the second amount of ground of ANY Manchester United this season. Last season he covered the MOST amount of ground of all our players per game average. On average, he runs 11.3k a game. The average Manchester United player runs 9.8k a game. And only Edison Cavani beats Marcus Rahsford this season, averaging 11.4k a game.

Silverman

His work-rate has been much better recently. He's a great footballer but just needs to be more clinical when in front of goal. Misses too many chances.

Frank White

What nonsense.

Marcus Rashford, per game, has covered the second amount of ground of ANY Manchester United this season. Last season he covered the MOST amount of ground of all our players per game average. On average, he runs 11.3k a game. The average Manchester United player runs 9.8k a game. And only Edison Cavani beats Marcus Rahsford this season, averaging 11.4k a game.
If that's true then that's very interesting but surely Bruno covers more? Unless you're only talking about attackers?

Hoof the ball

What nonsense.

Undoubtedly much of that average is down to distance covered on the offensive transitions when we have the ball in terms of sprints, because it's not from the defensive transition since he doesn't exert effort on the defensive end, whether in pressing, 2nd balls or tracking back.

MU655

He needs to improve his chance creation. His creative output isn't great.

xA and (xA per minute) - Ranked by xA per minute - Liverpool stats from 19/20 - xA isn't extrapolated, by the way.

Attack
Mahrez - 4.29 (0.00386)
Foden - 3.50 (0.00341)

Salah - 8.73 (0.00301)
Sterling - 4.27 (0.00263)
Mane - 7.24 (0.00262)
Firmino - 7.35 (0.00242)

Torres - 1.53 (0.00212)
Cavani - 1.56 (0.00210) - Fewer Minutes in Comparison
Martial - 2.52 (0.00201)

Jesus - 1.46 (0.00147)
Greenwood - 1.20 (0.00122)
Rashford - 2.1 (0.00113)

At the moment, he is way down in terms of creating quality chances. Now, I think quite a bit of this is to do with his poor decision making, which is costing us chances. The issue is that, even though he is doing quite well, he still isn't matching those players in terms of goals scoring rate, but he is also far off the pace in creativity.

Now, some of this could also be due to Martial being poor and us not having a right-winger. But I think if he wants to be an absolutely top attacking player, this is an area he needs to work on.

Cast5

He needs to improve his chance creation. His creative output isn't great.

xA and (xA per minute) - Ranked by xA per minute - Liverpool stats from 19/20 - xA isn't extrapolated, by the way.

Attack
Mahrez - 4.29 (0.00386)
Foden - 3.50 (0.00341)

Salah - 8.73 (0.00301)
Sterling - 4.27 (0.00263)
Mane - 7.24 (0.00262)
Firmino - 7.35 (0.00242)

Torres - 1.53 (0.00212)
Cavani - 1.56 (0.00210) - Fewer Minutes in Comparison
Martial - 2.52 (0.00201)

Jesus - 1.46 (0.00147)
Greenwood - 1.20 (0.00122)
Rashford - 2.1 (0.00113)

At the moment, he is way down in terms of creating quality chances. Now, I think quite a bit of this is to do with his poor decision making, which is costing us chances. The issue is that, even though he is doing quite well, he still isn't matching those players in terms of goals scoring rate, but he is also far off the pace in creativity.

Now, some of this could also be due to Martial being poor and us not having a right-winger. But I think if he wants to be an absolutely top attacking player, this is an area he needs to work on.
He’s got the 4th most assists in the league, stop with all this xG xA xZ nonsense, he does not have decision making problems. He’s been one of the most prolific forwards in Europe this season and all he gets it’s overanalysed and under appreciated.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Its definately not where he's played his best football. Has he contributed on the right? Yes, but his overall game is nowhere near as good on the right as it is on the left.
The worrying thing is many including myself clung to Rashford being on the right as a reason for his poor form but Liverpool game aside he's been no better on the left either. He along with a lot of attacking players (not just ours) are just not having a good season

Andersons Dietician

Its definately not where he's played his best football. Has he contributed on the right? Yes, but his overall game is nowhere near as good on the right as it is on the left.
The team looks much better with him on the right and last I checked his performance score was better on the right. I don’t care if he isn’t scoring as much if his performances are helping the team perform better which seems to be happening with him on the right.

West Brom 1:1 Man Utd

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Absolutely useless and has been for about 2 months now. He just isn’t giving us anywhere enough.

arnie_ni

Horrendous today. But martial is equally as bad so we can't even rest him

Erics_Collar

How does he get away with these absolute dog shít performances so often? He seems untouchable. He's so often our worst player on the pitch.

red4ever 79

Ole will continue to select him based on favoritism and nothing else. Stunk the place out again too many touches selfish. What a contrast when Greenwood came on

Superunknown

The Rashford cycle:

- receive the ball.
- take a few touches.
- take some more touches.
- keep hold of the ball for too long.
- lose the ball.

slored1

Was not worried with him before, but he was absolutely abysmal today. Why the feck is he not shooting?

Status
Not open for further replies.