Marcus Rashford vs Tammy Abraham

iHicksy

One's a natural goal scorer, the other isn't. Rashford isn't a striker, simple as. I feel like Rashford had the same hunger Tammy has when he first appeared but I just get the feeling from his body language and his play that he thinks he's "made it" and essentially that's down to the club handing him ridiculous contracts and making him a starter in one of the biggest clubs in the world when at 21 he's simply not up to the standard of a United player that starts. I don't blame him, it's a situation entirely of the clubs own making.

Whatever way you spin it, Rashford is a worse player now than he was 3 years ago. He's become more confident which has actually resulted in a selfish streak which harms our attacking play. Now, it's possible the club have coached him to be more selfish to score more goals, but it's having the opposite effect, if that is indeed the case. I'm not sure what we do with him really. He should have been spending the last few years out on loan learning his trade. Instead, because of our abject transfer policy he's found himself as the main man at 21. Again, none of this is really his fault, he's got fame, adulation and pressure tha a 21 year old should have been protected from and eased into. There's always a case of if they're good enough then they play. Rashford is certainly good enough for United. But only as a player with potential. He should be an impact sub for a club of our size and have more experienced players ahead of him to guide and teach him. Instead he's found himself as one of the more experienced, it's really madness if you think about it.

Eoin McMahon

One's a natural goal scorer, the other isn't. Rashford isn't a striker, simple as. I feel like Rashford had the same hunger Tammy has when he first appeared but I just get the feeling from his body language and his play that he thinks he's "made it" and essentially that's down to the club handing him ridiculous contracts and making him a starter in one of the biggest clubs in the world when at 21 he's simply not up to the standard of a United player that starts. I don't blame him, it's a situation entirely of the clubs own making.

Whatever way you spin it, Rashford is a worse player now than he was 3 years ago. He's become more confident which has actually resulted in a selfish streak which harms our attacking play. Now, it's possible the club have coached him to be more selfish to score more goals, but it's having the opposite effect, if that is indeed the case. I'm not sure what we do with him really.

He should have been spending the last few years out on loan learning his trade. Instead, because of our abject transfer policy he's found himself as the main man at 21. Again, none of this is really his fault, he's got fame, adulation and pressure tha a 21 year old should have been protected from and eased into. There's always a case of if they're good enough then they play. Rashford is certainly good enough for United. But only as a player with potential. He should be an impact sub for a club of our size and have more experienced players ahead of him to guide and teach him. Instead he's found himself as one of the more experienced, it's really madness if you think about it.

I just think its too early be certain how Rashford will progress for a couple more years. People forget how much he developed in such a short space of time that sooner or later there had to be slow down to catch his breath. Firstly his experience alone is incredible for his age playing at a World Cup, winning trophies scoring huge goal in big games and he already has 37 Eng caps.

It's been a crazy journey already and its only really at the beginning. when he first came on the scene what stood out most was his awareness and his finishing ability which is rare to find as developed in a 17 year old playing his first few games for the first team. Now Rashford finished his debut season as the main striker and displayed all the skill and attributes needed to become a world class ST.
Naturally the hype and the frenzy calms down and 3 years on Rashford is still at United and is now the mainstriker.

Now he hasnt continued his progress at the rocket speed he did before but doesnt mean he rested on his laurel quite the opposite he has made huge strides on his physicality and his technique has improved and setpieces aswell. However that natural goalscoring ability has been forgotten or replaced and if seems to be to be the only thing stopping him from becoming one of the best in the league.

Last edited:

GwilDor

Some of the people on here are so short-sighted, and eager to slag off our players, i can’t be anything but amazed. Its already been pointed out that you are judging Tammy Abraham on the back of a top form run of games,as if this was his base level. Also, 3 goals in 5 games is apparently shit for Rashford, who didn’t even play as the main striker in all those games. It seems like many would swap the two to get Abraham instead, i sure wouldn’t solely based on this season. Some have a serious case of grass always greener....

I know the xG stats has people divided aswell, but i think its interesting as a part of a discussion. Not as be all end all of discussions, but as an ingredient. For those interested, TA has 7 goals with xG of 2.77(-4.23) so far, while MR has 3 goals with xG of 4.12(+1.12). As we know, outside extremes like Messi, these numbers have a tendency to even out over time, but i guess we’ll know towards the end of the season.
Of course penalties is a part of that discussion too, but i’m not gonna get into that right now, point is their xG is relatively similar so far, and while TA has outperformed xG so far, MR is aproximately on point with xG.

(Edited for typo)

Davs

Abraham has looked the real deal this season and looks capable of filling Hazard's boots from a goals perspective. The guy is in hot form right now and that 3rd goal yesterday was real sauce. Comparisons to Rashford are expected, but it will be far easier to compare the two come the end of the season. I don't think we should be jumping to any conclusions 5 games into the season.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Rashford is the bigger talent and will be the better player, whilst Chelsea will ditch Abraham the second their transfer ban expires and spunk a wad of cash on the next flavour of the month.
No we won't.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Abraham has looked the real deal this season and looks capable of filling Hazard's boots from a goals perspective. The guy is in hot form right now and that 3rd goal yesterday was real sauce. Comparisons to Rashford are expected, but it will be far easier to compare the two come the end of the season. I don't think we should be jumping to any conclusions 5 games into the season.
Don't think any comparison helps as Rashford will be LW or RW next game with Martial leading the line.

Davs

Don't think any comparison helps as Rashford will be LW or RW next game with Martial leading the line.
Yeah I completely agree. Abraham will be playing as their #9, Rashford wont solely be playing as ours.

Given that they're both English and of the same age though, the comparisons are inevitable.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Rashford is the better player. Although, Abraham is only 3 goals behind Rashford's highest PL tally in one season (10 goals).

Like has been mentioned in here; Rashford has really plateaued in the past 18-24 months and he really needs to kick it up a notch.

roonster09

Scout
Yeah I completely agree. Abraham will be playing as their #9, Rashford wont solely be playing as ours.

Given that they're both English and of the same age though, the comparisons are inevitable.
Yeah. People will compare just like how they compare Rashford with Vardy and other strikers when he plays as winger in most games.

Irrational.

No we won't.
How many Chelsea youth players have had a prolonged run in the first team squad? For all the players you send out on loan, very few actually return to become full first team starters. I think Christensen is the only example I can think of. It's just been a nice coincidence for Abraham that Chelsea couldn't do any transfer business this summer, so they've had to hang onto him.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Rashford is the better player. Although, Abraham is only 3 goals behind Rashford's highest PL tally in one season (10 goals).

Like has been mentioned in here; Rashford has really plateaued in the past 18-24 months and he really needs to kick it up a notch.
This is only said because Abraham has spent a lot of time in the championship instead of the PL. I'll reserve judgement on this because at u23 level Abraham was by far a better prospect than Rashford

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
How many Chelsea youth players have had a prolonged run in the first team squad? For all the players you send out on loan, very few actually return to become full first team starters. I think Christensen is the only example I can think of. It's just been a nice coincidence for Abraham that Chelsea couldn't do any transfer business this summer, so they've had to hang onto him.
Christensen, Hudson Odoi, Loftus. Although he left eventually Bertrand had a good run as a squad player which involved winning both European titles.

But what our past managers did or didn't do is irrelevant now, currently we have a manager who is more than prepared to play young players and it's not because he's being forced to which is the lazy narrative being driven in some quarters.

MrBrightside1989

Rashford is the better footballer but Abraham is the better goal scorer. We probably need a player like Abraham in our squad.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
There really isn't a lot of point in comparing Rashford to Abraham or any other player at this point in time. We don't what type of player he will turn out to be yet.

God I long for the days when we could just let players develop and not judge them all as finished articles at 21 years of age.

Rashford is going to be a hell of a player. For some reason a lot of people seem intent on making him one of our whipping boys because all the other ones have been moved on and well, you know, what's the point in following United unless we can criticise someone?

Irrational.

Christensen, Hudson Odoi, Loftus. Although he left eventually Bertrand had a good run as a squad player which involved winning both European titles.

But what our past managers did or didn't do is irrelevant now, currently we have a manager who is more than prepared to play young players and it's not because he's being forced to which is the lazy narrative being driven in some quarters.
None of them are first team regulars, despite them being good enough to do so.

Fair enough, I take your point. We'll see how things pan out once Frank has a couple of transfer windows under his belt, and whether Abraham/ Mount are still regulars in the team.

Eoin McMahon

Hold up I just realized how ridiculous this comparison is. 5 games in and he 7 goals of which 4 were against promoted teams. He was anonymous in the first games against us and Leicester and this is the basis of his comparison a player who has 175 games and 48 goals for Man United not to mention his 34 caps for England and 7 goals. Rashford has an FA cup, League Cup, Europa League and Charity shield medals to Abraham Play off final medal. Both are 21, both are English and both play as the main striker for a big club.

It's crazy seeing people actually saying Abraham is better Rashford it really is. 5 games in the PL in which two he was awful and suddenly he's better than a player that has 3 seasons under his belt, starts for the National team in which Abraham isnt even in the squad and scored goals in big games.
Abraham scored against Sheff Utd, Norwich and Wolves.

Listen Abraham is a good young player that has potential there to succeed but instead of 5 games in lets see how hes doing at the end of the season and compare then or 3 years time when they'll be at their best. I knowing who im putting my money on and its not bias its just common sense

Classical Mechanic

Hold up I just realized how ridiculous this comparison is. 5 games in and he 7 goals of which 4 were against promoted teams. He was anonymous in the first games against us and Leicester and this is the basis of his comparison a player who has 175 games and 48 goals for Man United not to mention his 34 caps for England and 7 goals. Rashford has an FA cup, League Cup, Europa League and Charity shield medals to Abraham Play off final medal. Both are 21, both are English and both play as the main striker for a big club.

It's crazy seeing people actually saying Abraham is better Rashford it really is. 5 games in the PL in which two he was awful and suddenly he's better than a player that has 3 seasons under his belt, starts for the National team in which Abraham isnt even in the squad and scored goals in big games.

Listen Abraham is a good young player that has potential there to succeed but instead of 5 games in lets see how hes doing at the end of the season and compare then or 3 years time when they'll be at their best. I knowing who im putting my money on and its not bias its just common sense
It is a ridiculous comparison, mostly because they’re different kinds of players. I actually think it was started by the OP to take shots at Rashford.

Wolves are not a promoted side though, they finished 7th in the League last year.

Eoin McMahon

It is a ridiculous comparison, mostly because they’re different kinds of players. I actually think it was started by the OP to take shots at Rashford.

Wolves are not a promoted side though, they finished 7th in the League last year.
Well both being mostly considered central forwards is fine but Abraham needs to carry his form on for another year or so for any comparison to be made. Correct and that why i said 4 of the 7 were scored against promoted opposition

Cassidy

They are both attacking players who could end up fighting for an England spot in future. I think its a fair comparison to compare possible England strikers even if their styles are different.

Those who avoid the comparisons do so for other reasons. The narrative that Rashford is not a striker is now becoming a stronger one these days

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Both are of the same age.

Rashford seems to look older since he's had 5 seasons in the PL whereas Tammy has had one season with Swansea and now this season with Chelsea in the PL. He scored a lot of goals for Villa in the Championship last season and shown improvement. Rashford scored 10 goals in the PL last season but has had a fairly sluggish start. Tammy on the other hand has been banging in goals left and right since the hiccup on the opening day.

Whose the better striker?
It depends what you want in a striker. An all rounder or a net buster. Abraham is more of a Lukaku.

Eoin McMahon

That took you 9 posts in this thread!
Ya ive plenty to say today thats for sure but my posts are always well thought through and open to further discussion which is vital to keeping the dicussion flowing unlike just making a statement and not backing it up like the majority of the posts on this thread.

beingshe7don

Whatever way you spin it, Rashford is a worse player now than he was 3 years ago. He's become more confident which has actually resulted in a selfish streak which harms our attacking play. Now, it's possible the club have coached him to be more selfish to score more goals, but it's having the opposite effect, if that is indeed the case. I'm not sure what we do with him really. He should have been spending the last few years out on loan learning his trade. Instead, because of our abject transfer policy he's found himself as the main man at 21. Again, none of this is really his fault, he's got fame, adulation and pressure tha a 21 year old should have been protected from and eased into. There's always a case of if they're good enough then they play. Rashford is certainly good enough for United. But only as a player with potential. He should be an impact sub for a club of our size and have more experienced players ahead of him to guide and teach him. Instead he's found himself as one of the more experienced, it's really madness if you think about it.
Good post! Handing a guy 200k in wages whose just 21 and hasn't proven anything yet should be a big concern for us. We talk about how Sanchez was on insane wages and so on. However, we go ahead and award Rashford huge wages on the basis of potential (which I question heavily). I don't understand where this comparison of Rashford and CR7 came along. Just because Rashford scored one free kick last season which was CR7-esque and possesses somewhat similar physique, Ole has brainwashed some of the fans into thinking that we have another CR7 type player on our hands which is not true obviously. I don't think Rashford is even at Nani's level at the moment. Most world class players tend to be selfish (ala CR7s, Zlatan, Salah and so on). However, not all selfish players end up being world class.... Rashford will never be world class. He may break Rooney's record but will never have the influence that Rooney had on United.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Lukaku is also a better striker than Rashford...
Precisely my point. Do you want an all rounder for a goal scorer. If its an all rounder and Abraham can never satisfy you. If its a natural goal scorer a Rashford can never satisfy.

I'm my view they'd make a lovely twin partnership in a 3 - 5 - 2:D

The majority on here should not pretend they'd suddenly prefer an Abraham upfront to Rashford yet they absolutely hated Lukaku....

Aouer-United

I don't know.

Rashford is just a great scorer of a great goal. I've seen him score more great goals than just tap in or scrappy goal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Explain to us why you think that so?
While I agree it's too small sample size to declare Tammy world class or our striker issues over etc I don't think it's a stretch to call him a better pure striker.

Three more PL goals and he's matched Rashford's best ever PL total in a season and we're only 5 games in. Six more and he's matched his best ever in all comps. The way he's going it's not beyond the realms of possibility he reaches both figures before even the next international break.

That said I do think Rashford has a higher ceiling as an all rounder but he needs to get back to the mindset he had when he first broke through, back then he was humble and hungry but right now he looks like he's fallen for his own hype.

beingshe7don

I think you fail to see the point. It's not about comparing the two players after 5 games. If we were to go back to the u17s and look back at the stats, Rashford struggled to score goals while Tammy scored almost a goal or game. Rashford and Tammy are the same age. Rashford has had 5 seasons and has played on average 30 games at the higher level, therefore, you would expect him to have improved his game which I haven't seen. He doesn't possess any hold up play abilities, he's not a winger that's able to dribble or cross, he's not a fox in the box either. At 18, you start to mold your game and choose to be one of those and Rashford doesn't know what he best excels as. I mean you can't expect Pogba to whip in balls like he did against Chelsea for Rashford to latch onto and score. That makes us very predictable and it does not work when the teams sit behind because then Rashford is nullified. He scored 3 goals in 5 games... which is not bad but 2 of those were penalties. You need to check out how many times in those 5 games has he tested the keeper? Those stats are important in gaging your striker's threat. Tammy may have scored 7 goals against lower oppositions but those goals still stand and count. Think of it this way, he just joined with Chelsea and scored 7 goals in 5 games and is 3 goals away from meeting Rashford's best stat in the league in a season that came from 33 games. Tammy gets his chance and takes it whereas Rashford misses quite a few of them.

We talk about how our No. 7 shirt which is iconic and people not able to fill that since CR7 left. I don't know how Rashford manages to wear the iconic No. 10 shirt. I've not seen anything spectacular from him to warrant him wearing that shirt.

Eoin McMahon

While I agree it's too small sample size to declare Tammy world class or our striker issues over etc I don't think it's a stretch to call him a better pure striker.

Three more PL goals and he's matched Rashford's best ever PL total in a season and we're only 5 games in. Six more and he's matched his best ever in all comps. The way he's going it's not beyond the realms of possibility he reaches both figures before even the next international break.

That said I do think Rashford has a higher ceiling as an all rounder but he needs to get back to the mindset he had when he first broke through, back then he was humble and hungry but right now he looks like he's fallen for his own hype.
So all it takes is 3 good games to somehow be considered a better pure striker than a guy that has been involved in more games for us than any other outfield player, scored goals against Liverpool, Chelsea, City, Arsenal and Spurs in which he scored the winner in each game.

Not to mention the confidence displayed in that penalty against PSG. The one thing holding Rashford from being one of the best strikers in the league is his finishing.

His goal tallys may look average at best but I think scoring the winner in all those big
games has a lot more importance and value to the player than scoring against promoted teams.

roonster09

Scout

He is not playing as CF to compare his best goal scoring record, he is playing as winger and occasionally as CF when first choice is not playing.

beingshe7don

Precisely my point. Do you want an all rounder for a goal scorer. If its an all rounder and Abraham can never satisfy you. If its a natural goal scorer a Rashford can never satisfy.

I'm my view they'd make a lovely twin partnership in a 3 - 5 - 2:D

The majority on here should not pretend they'd suddenly prefer an Abraham upfront to Rashford yet they absolutely hated Lukaku....
Lukaku was hated because of his first touch and offered no hold up play to bring in our wingers. Tammy seems to have a better first touch, so not sure why would anyone who hated Lukaku would be inclined to hating Tammy as well. Also, Rashford maybe quicker but Tammy's awareness and anticipation makes him a more potent striker unlike Rashford. Rashford hasn't developed his game despite being coached by one of the former top strikers in Europe.

Tammy can lead a line and Rashford cannot do so. We do need an all round goalscorer since we've struggled to score goals towards the end of last season and as well this season despite the 4 goal drubbing of Chelsea.

Also, if we hadn't gotten the penalty against Leicester (which was terrible defending by Soyunca since Rashford was no where next to scoring), we wouldn't have scored a goal and would have ended with a draw at best. we didn't create many chances.

Eoin McMahon

I think you fail to see the point. It's not about comparing the two players after 5 games. If we were to go back to the u17s and look back at the stats, Rashford struggled to score goals while Tammy scored almost a goal or game. Rashford and Tammy are the same age. Rashford has had 5 seasons and has played on average 30 games at the higher level, therefore, you would expect him to have improved his game which I haven't seen. He doesn't possess any hold up play abilities, he's not a winger that's able to dribble or cross, he's not a fox in the box either. At 18, you start to mold your game and choose to be one of those and Rashford doesn't know what he best excels as. I mean you can't expect Pogba to whip in balls like he did against Chelsea for Rashford to latch onto and score. That makes us very predictable and it does not work when the teams sit behind because then Rashford is nullified. He scored 3 goals in 5 games... which is not bad but 2 of those were penalties. You need to check out how many times in those 5 games has he tested the keeper? Those stats are important in gaging your striker's threat. Tammy may have scored 7 goals against lower oppositions but those goals still stand and count. Think of it this way, he just joined with Chelsea and scored 7 goals in 5 games and is 3 goals away from meeting Rashford's best stat in the league in a season that came from 33 games. Tammy gets his chance and takes it whereas Rashford misses quite a few of them.

We talk about how our No. 7 shirt which is iconic and people not able to fill that since CR7 left. I don't know how Rashford manages to wear the iconic No. 10 shirt. I've not seen anything spectacular from him to warrant him wearing that shirt.
I can see the points people are making the comparison itself is madness. I don't ever remember the two being compared last season or the season before and for the obvious reason that they were playing at a different level. So to see people somehow comparing the two from 5 games and even worse to say whos better is just mindless really.

Abraham scored 7 goals in 3 games 4 against promoted teams, Rashford has 30 goals over 3 seasons and yes thats probably average at best but the goals he scored, the winner at the Etihad vs, both our goals 2-0 against Pool, 2 at the Emirates, the winner at Spurs last season and that penalty vs PSG. Quality over quantity,
I think everyone would take a last minute winner in a final over 6 goals against Palace.

Cassidy

I can see the points people are making the comparison itself is madness. I don't ever remember the two being compared last season or the season before and for the obvious reason that they were playing at a different level. So to see people somehow comparing the two from 5 games and even worse to say whos better is just mindless really.

Abraham scored 7 goals in 3 games 4 against promoted teams, Rashford has 30 goals over 3 seasons and yes thats probably average at best but the goals he scored, the winner at the Etihad vs, both our goals 2-0 against Pool, 2 at the Emirates, the winner at Spurs last season and that penalty vs PSG. Quality over quantity,
I think everyone would take a last minute winner in a final over 6 goals against Palace.
That is a bit of a silly comparison given Abraham has only played vs United thus far in terms of those types of games. Rashford has played far more of those types of games in the PL so obviously would have scored more

Classical Mechanic

unless Tammy Abraham suddenly develops an ability to operate in wide areas. That isn't likely.
Chief knows.

Lukaku was hated because of his first touch and offered no hold up play to bring in our wingers. Tammy seems to have a better first touch, so not sure why would anyone who hated Lukaku would be inclined to hating Tammy as well. Also, Rashford maybe quicker but Tammy's awareness and anticipation makes him a more potent striker unlike Rashford. Rashford hasn't developed his game despite being coached by one of the former top strikers in Europe.

Tammy can lead a line and Rashford cannot do so. We do need an all round goalscorer since we've struggled to score goals towards the end of last season and as well this season despite the 4 goal drubbing of Chelsea.
Thing is though that Tammy looks like a pub footballer when he’s playing badly too, that’s why I always said he’ll get a lot of unfair grief. Unlike Lukaku he does show some nice touches and skills in most games.

Rashford’s best position is as an inside left forward whereas Tammy is a central striker only.

It’s early days for Tammy at this level though. I always thought he’d be a good goalscorer at Premier League level but this level of form is a surprise.

Eoin McMahon

That is a bit of a silly comparison given Abraham has only played vs United thus far in terms of those types of games. Rashford has played far more of those types of games in the PL so obviously would have scored more
Exactly the point im trying to make in that people claiming Abraham to be this and that and even to claim hes better that Rashford and more complete is ridiculous and premature.

Cassidy

Exactly the point im trying to make in that people claiming Abraham to be this and that and even to claim hes better that Rashford and more complete is ridiculous and premature.
Its not if you are looking at their development since 17. I don't know who is better simply because Abraham hasn't played enough at this level. I suspect most who are adamant Rashford is better only do so due to the lack of sample size from Abraham at this level. Basically I do not think it is a given Rashford is better

As for Rashford not being a striker well that is something people only started realising lately because the start of last season the narrative was that Rashford development was being harmed because he wasn't playing enough through the middle.

Lets assess who is better between the 2 players in 2 years will be interesting

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
As for Rashford not being a striker well that is something people only started realising lately because the start of last season the narrative was that Rashford development was being harmed because he wasn't playing enough through the middle.
There were already quite a section of the caf that wasn't convinced by Rashford as a striker, including myself. I would often say he's good at getting into dangerous position but he's not a natural finisher. I also don't think he's regressed, I just think defenses know him by now and he hasn't been able to adapt to that fact very well. He is very limited in how he approaches defenses, he's a predictable player and it's been a couple of years now where I've been waiting to see how he puts wrinkles in his game to find new ways of getting past defenses and scoring goals.

Tammy is going to have to go through the same challenge now as defenses are becoming aware of him and how to counter his impact on the game. I haven't seen enough of him to put in my 2 cents on how he'll fare compared to Marcus, though.