Marcus Rashford vs Tammy Abraham

Eoin McMahon

From the video of all his goals for us and especially his early goals there all the traits of a striker needs- movement-pace-awareness and finishing ability. I feel that through focusing on physique and set pieces he may have neglected the finishing ability he had naturally. Importantly it he had it before so he can surely regain that composure and anticipation in once had.

AFC NimbleThumb

Do we need a Rashford vs Callum Wilson thread as well?
To be a fan of this club on this forum you seem to have to hate all of its players.

Absolutely abysmal thread, where was the Tammy vs Marcus thread after the first game of the season?

I’m a fan of Tammy, think he’ll be a very good player but honestly him being good for chelsea doesn’t make marcus crap for united!

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Hold up I just realized how ridiculous this comparison is. 5 games in and he 7 goals of which 4 were against promoted teams. He was anonymous in the first games against us and Leicester and this is the basis of his comparison a player who has 175 games and 48 goals for Man United not to mention his 34 caps for England and 7 goals. Rashford has an FA cup, League Cup, Europa League and Charity shield medals to Abraham Play off final medal. Both are 21, both are English and both play as the main striker for a big club.

It's crazy seeing people actually saying Abraham is better Rashford it really is. 5 games in the PL in which two he was awful and suddenly he's better than a player that has 3 seasons under his belt, starts for the National team in which Abraham isnt even in the squad and scored goals in big games.
Abraham scored against Sheff Utd, Norwich and Wolves.

Listen Abraham is a good young player that has potential there to succeed but instead of 5 games in lets see how hes doing at the end of the season and compare then or 3 years time when they'll be at their best. I knowing who im putting my money on and its not bias its just common sense
Not that I disagree with the sentiment, but he wasn't anonymous against us. He almost scored, twice to my memory.

Also, with England having Sterling, Kane & Sancho and with Dele Alli for the second striker role, I doubt Rashford will see a lot more of England starts. 7 in 34 is also quite poor for a attacker in my view, but then I don't really follow any NT so it could be the norm there for all I know.

HowieC

From the video of all his goals for us and especially his early goals there all the traits of a striker needs- movement-pace-awareness and finishing ability. I feel that through focusing on physique and set pieces he may have neglected the finishing ability he had naturally. Importantly it he had it before so he can surely regain that composure and anticipation in once had.
He is another welbeck in my opinion. Never been impressed by his technique and (lack of) touch. Now he seems to have lost much of the movement he had when he first started.

May be controversial, but I feel he is donkey like in his ability. A very fast donkey, but a donkey nonetheless. The tricks that come off once in awhile do little to dispel that notion.

GenZRed

Not a fair comparison. Tam my Abraham is a number 9 striker while Rashford has been played more as an inside forward during his time at United.

It is like comparing Mason Mount with Matic because they are both midfielders. They are two types of midfielders, just as Rashford and Abraham have been played as two different types of forwards.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Not a fair comparison. Tam my Abraham is a number 9 striker while Rashford has been played more as an inside forward during his time at United.

It is like comparing Mason Mount with Matic because they are both midfielders. They are two types of midfielders, just as Rashford and Abraham have been played as two different types of forwards.
Most sensible post yet

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I cannot picture Rashford scoring the header nor the goal with the turnaround control then shot. His third goal though, I can Rashford doing something similar.

VJ1762

Rashford has 50 odd goals at the highest level. Abraham has 7
But Tammy abraham is only 3 or 4 goals away from matching Rashford's highest scoring season in the PL. As one poster said, he is just a better welbeck. Can do a job as a squad player, but nowhere near the quality of a starter if we intend to challenge for the PL in the future.

ottosec

Rashford has 50 odd goals at the highest level. Abraham has 7
Rashford's highest goal tally in a PL season is 10. Abraham already scored 7 in 5 and scored 25 goals twice in the championship, if I am not mistaken - he is clearly an accomplished goalscorer.

VJ1762

But Tammy abraham is only 3 or 4 goals away from matching Rashford's highest scoring season in the PL. As one poster said, he is just a better welbeck. Can do a job as a squad player, but nowhere near the quality of a starter if we intend to challenge for the PL in the future.
To further reinforce my point, he shouldn't even be starting for England(over way better players like sancho), and this was discussed in sunday supplement yesterday.

I would love it if we get sancho next year( will be very very difficult). Such an amazing player. I think the last few years have really clouded people's perception about the quality that an attacker starting for Man utd should possess. When you see who wore the No 10 previously and who wears it now for us, the drop off in quality has been immense. It has been like going from a Ferrari to a Toyota.

Footyislife

Rashford isn't technical enough (poor decision making/vision) for a winger & he lacks the poachers finishing. Probably his best role is the second striker in a 4-4-2. But we'd never play that way since we don't have a RW. Maybe if he played as a wide forward on the right swapping with Martial he'd be decent. James is just to good right now on the left, meanwhile Rashford keeps bricking long shots into defenders at the LW position.

We need an rvn

He is another welbeck in my opinion. Never been impressed by his technique and (lack of) touch. Now he seems to have lost much of the movement he had when he first started.

May be controversial, but I feel he is donkey like in his ability. A very fast donkey, but a donkey nonetheless. The tricks that come off once in awhile do little to dispel that notion.
Think comparing him to Welbeck is a little unfair as he's already better in many ways then Welbeck was - but I do see similarities in that I don't think Rashford will reach the levels we all hoped he would

Stacks

Rashford's highest goal tally in a PL season is 10. Abraham already scored 7 in 5 and scored 25 goals twice in the championship, if I am not mistaken - he is clearly an accomplished goalscorer.
That's true. He is comfortable leading the line and dealing with the pressure of hitting the back of the net frequently. If he manages 20 odd Prem goals this year then to be he would be proven beyond all doubt that he is a reliable goal scorer

Macern

Pee pee pants
Abraham has proven himself at top level for five games now. He could be another Papiss Cisse, Michu etc. Far too early to make this comparison. Right now he’s obviously better though.

romufc

Why is everyone acting as if Rashford is our number 9?

He plays Inside left, just because they both young forwards.

Comparing players after 4 games does not show which one is better.

Tammy might be brimming with confidence but don't forget what havoc 17 yr old Rashford caused defences.

Once PL defenders know the strikers strengths they have a better idea of stopping them, wont be long before Tammy has to adapt his game too.

TRUERED89

Abraham is benefiting from a more cohesive unit at the moment. Not easy to play as a striker in this team
Exactly, isolate him upfront in our team like all our strikers have to contend with, and we'll see how many hattricks he gets.

cyberman

Why is everyone acting as if Rashford is our number 9?

He plays Inside left, just because they both young forwards.

Comparing players after 4 games does not show which one is better.

Tammy might be brimming with confidence but don't forget what havoc 17 yr old Rashford caused defences.

Once PL defenders know the strikers strengths they have a better idea of stopping them, wont be long before Tammy has to adapt his game too.
Exactly. A more apt comparison would be v Pedro or another form of inside forward, not this petty point scoring where everything United related is deemed shit. This is just a proxy Rashford v Martial thread.
On the other side, this forum is genuinely shit at assessing players. we're just not very good at it so what is this discussion even worth?

romufc

Exactly. A more apt comparison would be v Pedro or another form of inside forward, not this petty point scoring where everything United related is deemed shit. This is just a proxy Rashford v Martial thread.
On the other side, this forum is genuinely shit at assessing players. we're just not very good at it so what is this discussion even worth?
It actually is becoming a joke from our fans. We are playing a slightly different style to Chelsea who seem like they want to play the we will outscore you football.

It is the same way last week I saw a thread which one poster commented saying Nuno would be a good manager for us not realising he plays a defensive formation.

cyberman

It actually is becoming a joke from our fans. We are playing a slightly different style to Chelsea who seem like they want to play the we will outscore you football.

It is the same way last week I saw a thread which one poster commented saying Nuno would be a good manager for us not realising he plays a defensive formation.
This exact thread popped up when CHO was a sub, subject of a Bayern bid and played mainly v farmers in EL. As soon as someone shows a glimmer of promise they're supermen compared to what we have.
These two are the same age yet Rashford record up till now is being used against him with Abraham dame time period is rarely discussed. That's because this comparison will be seen as the joke it is if the same comparison were applied over the same time period. Does Abraham have the same big game record? Of course not, he's played well in 2/3 games ffs in a months worth of games.
Is there a James v x on any rivals forum do you think?

romufc

This exact thread popped up when CHO was a sub, subject of a Bayern bid and played mainly v farmers in EL. As soon as someone shows a glimmer of promise they're supermen compared to what we have.
These two are the same age yet Rashford record up till now is being used against him with Abraham dame time period is rarely discussed. That's because this comparison will be seen as the joke it is if the same comparison were applied over the same time period. Does Abraham have the same big game record? Of course not, he's played well in 2/3 games ffs in a months worth of games.
Is there a James v x on any rivals forum do you think?
I doubt there will be one of James v anyone because rival fans want to back their players, all we seem to do is back rivals.

Instead of negativity, I would like to see support for Rashford, Martial, Pogba and the like on the caf.

We all know we have had difficult times in the past but these players but throughout the years even when Jose was in charge there was praise for Rashford's attitude.

Chabon

Think comparing him to Welbeck is a little unfair as he's already better in many ways then Welbeck was - but I do see similarities in that I don't think Rashford will reach the levels we all hoped he would
He's also worse in many ways than Welbeck was, primarily because they're not really similar players at all. They're both thought of/judged as strikers when they play out wide half the time, and they both score(d) at roughly the same rate for United (239 minutes per league goal for Rashford, 253 for Welbeck), but they have little else in common as footballers. Can you even begin to imagine having Rashford mark Xabi Alonso, for example?

They're pretty clearly at a similar level of ability, and all this fuss (positive and negative) is just because we're a bit shit these days. If Rashford had come through at the start of this decade he'd probably have played less than half the games he has so far, would have spent at least a season out on loan, and we'd all think him a really useful squad player with the potential to possibly be a starter in the long run. He'd also have vastly less pressure on him, and be paid a fraction of what we give him now. Everything about his career, especially the vitriol, is a symptom of the club's decline.

Stacks

The Welback comparisons to Rashford are next level stupid. Welbeck scored 29 goals and 21 assists for man utd in 8300 minutes at a rate of 1 goal/assist every 167 minutes and Rashford has netted 48 goals and 27 assists in 10895 mins at a rate of 1 goal/assist every 145 minutes.
Rashford also scored better individual goals, is more of a threat and is younger than Welbeck was so has more time.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The Welback comparisons to Rashford are next level stupid. Welbeck scored 29 goals and 21 assists for man utd in 8300 minutes at a rate of 1 goal/assist every 167 minutes and Rashford has netted 48 goals and 27 assists in 10895 mins at a rate of 1 goal/assist every 145 minutes.
Rashford also scored better individual goals, is more of a threat and is younger than Welbeck was so has more time.
Yeah, you don't even have to post stats, comparing Rashford is just lazy and stupid.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Tammy definitely the more natural goalscorer? Would be say? Rashford definitely got greater potential and much more pedigree.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Amazing how a player who plays purely as CF is compared with player who plays most games as winger.

While we are comping the players,
- Tammy Abraham needs 3 goals to match Sane's best goal scoring season
- Already matched B.Silva's best goal scoring season.
- Just 5 more goals to match David Silva's best goal scoring season.
- Need 7 more goals to match Son's best goal scoring season.
- 4 more goals to match Martial's best goal scoring season.
- 8 more goals to match Firmino's best goal scoring season.

Heinzesight

Rashford has a lot of talent. But if he is going to be a striker he needs to gamble more. But is that just natural instinct or can it be taught?...needs to shape up either way.

Bestofthebest

Abraham has honed his skills in the Championship and has gained a lot of confidence from those games. Perhaps a year on loan in the Championship would be good for Rashford. If not then time to let him go.

Stacks

Abraham has honed his skills in the Championship and has gained a lot of confidence from those games. Perhaps a year on loan in the Championship would be good for Rashford. If not then time to let him go.
He is past a loan to the championship. He is an England international and at the very least should be playing at this level.