Marko Arnautović | United have pulled out

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Questions that will always remain without answers

Like becoming the Ceo of Boeing but your only experience is as a barman in a pub.
Well to be fair, people like Kehl or Salihamidzic also had little experience before taking over that (role) very successfully. There's to PhD course in transfers preparing ideal candidates

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Murtough must be feeling the heat, now that Modeste is off the market.

mikeyt

The De Jong saga needs to be attributed at least 50% to ETH, the other 50% of that saga and everything else is on the Glazers (and more recently Murtough). Sorry sorry state of affairs this club.

Judas

Open to offers
The length of contract is really worrying, signing is bad enough but a 3 year deal really just makes me think nothings changing or improving behind the scenes.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
In theory, the club should have oversight on recruitment. Just as the manager should have a veto. That way you ensure the worst mistakes are avoided.

But this summer I have no issue with the manager having particularly heavy say in recruitment, as the club itself seemed to to recognise that its own recruitment set-up wasn't up to scratch when it shed its two chief scouts as part of an overhaul just weeks before the transfer window opened. So, fine. It reflects terribly on the club, but different rules apply for this transfer window.

The issue I have with the Arnautovic signing isn't that it's an ETH-driven target. It's that I don't believe it could be anything other than a signing right from the very bottom of the list of ETH-driven targets. A signing you only resort to in an emergency situation where the club has failed to secure multiple better options in that position the manager wanted.

In other words it's almost exactly the same thing Van Gaal (and others) complained about. We signed players, we were told they were his choices, then he later pointed out they were his choices after the club failed to secure all the players he wanted more.

ETH wanting Arnautovic once he's put in a situation where its Arnautovic or nothing isn't really the same as him wanting Arnautovic. And to your Conte comparison, I don't think any of Bissouma, Richarlison, Perisic or Lenglet were as far down on his list of options as Arnautovic is for ETH. They actually secured his higher priority targets to a degree we've failed to.
Fair post.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'd be surprised if this happened, it would be a PR nightmare.

Oldtraffordboy

This is what happens when you have a former Everton fitness coach as your director of football.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Is this a joke? What have we become?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Well to be fair, people like Kehl or Salihamidzic also had little experience before taking over that (role) very successfully. There's to PhD course in transfers preparing ideal candidates
Kehl got some sports management degree after his career and he spent four years as Zorc's apprentice, before taking over. And he hasn't even finished his first window yet, so it's a bit early to call him a success.

Salihamidzic spent a few years as breakfast director under Hoeneß and Rummenigge, before the old guard left their position.

I don't think the structures between those clubs and United compare.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Our club hasn't changed one bit!
They take us for a ride each and every year!

Spark

There's really no merit to it. I'd rather just let Rashford or Eriksen or Bruno whoever play there if it comes to it.

Sign some general purpose attackers for depth like Ziyech.

FFS they were against signing Ziyech because apparently he's not the right age profile and they want to give a 3yr contract to Arnautovic.
Shows that everything you read is absolute bollocks to be honest. No one has a clue. The only real evidence we have is that we’re fecking useless on and off the pitch.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Kehl got some sports management degree after his career and he spent four years as Zorc's apprentice, before taking over. And he hasn't even finished his first window yet, so it's a bit early to call him a success.

Salihamidzic spent a few years as breakfast director under Hoeneß and Rummenigge, before the old guard left their position.

I don't think the structures between those clubs and United compare.
Murtough has also been part of various management segments of United, so don't think it's that far off. But yeah, the general structure is a mess

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
if this comes to be, we might as well all pack up and go home. if we are going for older, spend the extra on quality and see if we can get Vardy. Frankly, we'd be better off with Dion Dublin!

Devil81

Slept on this and now think it will be a huge mistake by ETH. People judge managers on their signings, this would be a big red mark against ETH.

He'd be better sticking with the kids.

I’m loving my life

Murtough has also been part of various management segments of United, so don't think it's that far off. But yeah, the general structure is a mess
He’s been part of a very unsuccessful regime for a decade. He is a product of said regime and one of the main reasons it was unsuccessful. The main reason (Woodward) also had a hand in selecting the current regime (Arnold and Murtough), so it’s little wonder we continue to spin into mediocrity.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
It's like the scout reports folder was deleted and they are having to use paper copies filed 10 years ago

Black Cell

I refuse to believe this is real. EtH would be better off with the kids. this would be a very bad look.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
...and who said to me the other day, United won't do panic buys.....!! :rolleyes:

Even I am beginning to laugh at this ongoing joke.

Jairdinho

This transfer and the whole transferperiod in general reminds me a lot of two things: first of the way Moyes and Woody handled the transferwindow, being Linked FC and chasing what if’s and seemingly having no plan in place what so ever.

And secondly the targets we are after all being ETH mates reminds me of the van Gaal period with bringing in players that are far from the level that we aspire to be but are probably very good (chemistry) guys. Examples LVG: Romero, Blind, Schweini, Valdes, Depay. Examples ETH: Malacia, Antony, Martinez, Arnautovic, FDJ etc.

I know it’s early days but both are equally worrying and indicate that we have learned nothing from the last 7 or 8 years and thus are as unprepared as when Sir Alex left

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Sinking to new lows with this one. By all accounts it’s because McLaren working with him years ago.
The state of our recruitment team is truly frightening

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It says so much about the people in charge at our club that they thought the best response to make after the loss to Brighton was a press brief that we are going to buy this guy :lol:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Going out on a limb here, but perhaps you can buy Robert Bozenik from us instead? He didn't really work out for us and was also found lacking at Fortuna Dusseldorf, but who knows. He scored against Ten Hag's Ajax once and we only need 3.5 million to break even.

RedMilo

Its like a parallel universe where Fergie went for Iain Dowie rather than Andy Cole.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
I reckon this is because they expect Greenwood back at some point this season, I hear some rumours it's going to be pushed under the carpet being "role play".

So if he's coming back mid season, why not have a bigger cnut to take the spotlight off him for a couple of months

Mainoldo

:lol: The club really should be protecting our manager. We all know they wanted Poch.. there are going to be after him hard.

Listen to your bloody scouting team who recommended Ruben Diaz, Jude Bellingham and Jack Grealish.