Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
The two parts I have bolded I disagree with completely. The first is a simple matter of opinion, the scond is just wrong - when Fellaini was first given a chance this season, in the majority of games he played a box-to-box role. In his last couple of games against Liverpool and Southampton he was moved to being a dedicated DM, a decision I (and most others) disagreed with, but even prior to that he was not an AM. He got forwards and into the box when required (as LVG no doubt instructed him to) and obviously if we are chasing a game you will want players who can be a threat to play further forwards, but aside from that in the normal passages of play he played box-to-box - look back on the caf and you will see how many people were surprised to see him being able to play well as a proper CM, not just an AM.
I didn't say he played classic AM who played in front of two midfielders, I agree that he played box to box. Apart from Liverpool and Southampton 2nd half games, he played in 3 man midfield, alongside Rooney or someone else in front of Carrick/Blind, and he was sometimes even more attacking than his midfield partners. Anyway, he wasn't the one picking balls from defenders, it was Carrick or Blind, apart from those two mentioned games when our build up play from the back was awful anyway.

Roboc7

I never said Fellaini was the sole reason for us playing better I only said we have been a lot better as a team points wise when he is starting . I personly think that Di Maria, Herrera, Carrick, Mata and Blind are all better footballers than him but Fellaini offers something different than those and we look like a much more balanced team when he is playing.
I just think those stats are from too small a sample and don't take into account a number o relevant factors such as the return of carrick.

LR7

I do find it convenient how every time in this thread (and there have been a few such occassions) that Fellaini's critics are confronted with the stats, they will indubitably respond with some rubbish about how the stats mean nothing. Of course there are more factors involved than just Fellaini, but it has been proven beyond all doubt that the team has done far better with Fellaini in the team, than out of it, this season. Read into that what you like, if you choose to believe it to be pure coincidence then that is up to you.

Finally, and I hate to use this 'card' because it always annoyed me when people did it under SAF - LVG obviously valued what Fellaini was bringing to the team, as after his first sub appearance against West Brom, he played a full 90 minutes every game until he got injured.
The bolded bit is a bit OTT. I'm sure he wasn't the only variable in those games whilst everything else remained constant.

I am missing him a bit though (!). Games like Stoke and today he would be very useful in.

Sid234

Maybe we should have got Tony Pulis on the blower then because that is how his teams play, not Manchester United. If we are so desperately poor that you and others think we need a limited player like Fellaini to compete with sides at this level then we are in serious trouble.
That's a bit harsh don't you think? Plus if Fellaini was seriously as limited as you claim he is, Van Gaal wouldn't be using him when fit. Look at Anderson, he could very well have frozen him out like Ando, and given someone like Andreas a chance instead. Fellaini might not be a world beater but he has certain strengths that none of out other midfielders or attackers offer!

We're not in a position to be picky about the kind of players we have in the team or how attractive their style of play is. Looking at how shit we have been off late, even Tony Pulis' sides might outplay us and that is without the great footballing neanderthal that is Fellaini in the team. We produced some great results and performances with him in the team, and that is not just a coincidence.

With him in the team we have someone to keep hold of the ball in midfield, someone whose physical presence can be intimidating in midfield and offers us a goalscoring threat on set-pieces. And of course the only player in our team capable of winning those pointless punts forward from either the defenders or De Gea and holding on to the ball after it.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I'd rather the defenders hoof to the big lad than nervously passing from the back. It's been that bad.

We would have beaten stoke with Fellaini. He is no savior but I have no problem with him being a squad player. I know he was expensive but there's nothing that can be done about it besides sell at a huge loss or sell right after the Euros if Fellaini dominates.

Gannicus

I'd rather the defenders hoof to the big lad than nervously passing from the back. It's been that bad.

We would have beaten stoke with Fellaini. He is no savior but I have no problem with him being a squad player. I know he was expensive but there's nothing that can be done about it besides sell at a huge loss or sell right after the Euros if Fellaini dominates.
Spot on.

Fellaini was never worth 27.5m but he's on the squad so let's forget about what he cost the Glazers. He can play a useful role for United, even if he'll never be of the quality required for a CL-contending side, which I expect us to be next season. I recommend we appreciate him for he can do, not what we wish he could do, and move on. We still need IMHO a massive buy in midfield, which will no doubt reduce Fellaini's opportunities but at least, from his point of view, he gets to remain a player on one of the biggest clubs on earth. The midfielder who needs to go, regretfully, is Fletcher. The disease took a terrible toll on him and he's finished at this level. But Fellaini can still play a useful for us for the next few seasons.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
In the 3-1-4-2 against Southampton, when Fellaini played in central midfield, he rarely dropped back to link the defence and attack whilst our defenders frequently tried to look for him via a long ball. We would also do the same thing with the diamond though with much less frequency. If he was fit today and playing in central midfield, our play would not be any different at all simply because of how van Gaal wants his central midfielders to play: as attacking as possible.

jem

Spot on.

Fellaini was never worth 27.5m but he's on the squad so let's forget about what he cost the Glazers. He can play a useful role for United, even if he'll never be of the quality required for a CL-contending side, which I expect us to be next season. I recommend we appreciate him for he can do, not what we wish he could do, and move on. We still need IMHO a massive buy in midfield, which will no doubt reduce Fellaini's opportunities but at least, from his point of view, he gets to remain a player on one of the biggest clubs on earth. The midfielder who needs to go, regretfully, is Fletcher. The disease took a terrible toll on him and he's finished at this level. But Fellaini can still play a useful for us for the next few seasons.
This sums up the situation perfectly (especially the Fletcher bit, sadly.)

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Spot on.

I agree

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
In the 3-1-4-2 against Southampton, when Fellaini played in central midfield, he rarely dropped back to link the defence and attack whilst our defenders frequently tried to look for him via a long ball. We would also do the same thing with the diamond though with much less frequency. If he was fit today and playing in central midfield, our play would not be any different at all simply because of how van Gaal wants his central midfielders to play: as attacking as possible.
Hang on, wasn't Southampton one of the games where he was playing DM and screening the back three?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Hang on, wasn't Southampton one of the games where he was playing DM and screening the back three?
That was after Smalling got injured. Otherwise, he was drifting quite far forward, hence why he got into so many physical battles with Wanyama.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
That was after Smalling got injured. Otherwise, he was drifting quite far forward, hence why he got into so many physical battles with Wanyama.
Smalling was taken off in the 18th minute, why are you basing your assessment of what Fellaini/the team were doing on 18 minutes of the game?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Smalling was taken off in the 18th minute, why are you basing your assessment of what Fellaini/the team were doing on 18 minutes of the game?
My mistake. Carrick moved to the back at the 38th minute, not after Smalling went off. The reason I use this period of time is because that was the time he was playing as one of the central midfielders.

ZDwyr

Thought he was the best of the three subs, though none of them did a whole lot, but he won a few headers. Will be interesting to see the role he plays now that everyone is fit.

Ixion

Not a fan of Fellaini but he did OK when he came on. It would still bother me to see him in the starting XI but he is a useful option from the bench.

red_7

at least something changed after he came on. This is exactly the role he can fulfill at United, an impact player from the bench. Glad to have him as an option.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I also just want to point out that the gap between "Points with Fellaini starting" vs "Points without Fellaini starting" has widened after last night.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Although not a popular opinion we play much better when he's in the team, I'm glad he's back.

FujiVice

This is my vision of Fellaini when we signed him. We are in trouble away from home and he comes on, gets himself about and sticks one in the net. Well done, son.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Exactly the role he's best suited to here: impact sub. Good stuff.

Jev

Hope he won't start. Don't see him as more than an impact stuff. His style doesn't fit us in my opinion.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
As I have been saying, the "points per game" whilst Fellaini is in the team is monumentally higher than without. The longer it goes on the less it will be regarded as a coincidence, I hope.

Roboc7

Good goal if you can get him in the box and get crosses in will always score goals, would still swap him for a midfielder who can pass the ball a lot better, ideally schneiderlein but I prefer seeing him play in midfield to mata.

jeff_goldblum

He brings a package of presence, goal threat and variety that none of our other midfielders offer. For me he should be starting most games, we've generally played better when he has.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Feck that, he should be starting every game for us.
Maybe he should but that really says more about how the rest of our midfield is functioning atm.

In an ideal world our starting midfield would actually be working and we'd have Fellaini on the bench, ready to be thrown on as needed.

Jev

Maybe he should but that really says more about how the rest of our midfield is functioning atm.

In an ideal world our starting midfield would actually be working and we'd have Fellaini on the bench, ready to be thrown on as needed.
Yeah, if we were playing the football we'd like to play, Fellaini would be a mismatch.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
What I like is that he is a midfielder who plays like a bloody midfielder, not like a #10 or an anchorman.

This relates to what I have been banging on about for weeks with midfielders not showing for the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.