Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
An argument whose better between Fletcher, Fellaini, Ando and Carrick. No wonder we're in such sad situation
The fact that Valencia will likely be picked over all of them on Sunday doesn't make it any better either.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The fact that Valencia will likely be picked over all of them on Sunday doesn't make it any better either.
Not a bad option really, he can replicate what Di Maria does, of working hard, but getting wide to cross.

marlowe78

You know Van Gaal is either going to either play him or Valencia on that side. He wants a right footer. If he plays Fellaini, which I doubt because he's just returning from injury, I'd fear for lack of protection for Rafael. Herrera was excellent in covering that flank and making tackles defensively before the opposition overloaded that side. Valencia might actually be a safer option.
Same for me, I would play Valencia as the lesser of two evils. Valencia is at least fast with the ball, he'll have Rafael to work with, and I actually think he defends better than Fellaini. IMO we lose less when playing Valencia.

Fellaini has said that he wants to prove himself but the writing is already on the wall for him. He would've been loaned if he hadn't been injured. He will only get playing time if we are out of other options.

RayK47

We will not play Valencia in the centre, never considered it as an option. We will play who ever is fitter out of Carrick and Fellaini.

I would like to see Fellaini be given a chance to show what he can do. I was also very impatient with him last season, this was mostly due to the direct connection with Moyes and the "we are not f*ing Everton" feeling that I associated with him when he was on the pitch, even if he was doing his job fairly well.

It's time to give him a fair chance. Watching back some of the Fellaini vs west brom, Fellaini vs west ham etc. videos on youtube from last season, he was not the appallling player I seem to have judged him to be. Big presence in the midfield, able to win the ball back quick. aerial ability, players hate to go in to a tackle with a player like Fellaini your gonna get a hard knock everytime you do, especially when he flairs those elbows out like an old cockney chimney sweep stage dancer. The stuff about a bad first touch is bollocks too.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I wouldnt trust Felliani in front of the back four, he is too dozy, we say it last season how he just switches off and ball watches, he is very much a reactive player rather than proactive.

RedorDead21

I wouldnt trust Felliani in front of the back four, he is too dozy, we say it last season how he just switches off and ball watches, he is very much a reactive player rather than proactive.
Wouldnt Blind be the player infront of the back 4?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I'm all for him being given a proper chance, but only out of necessity, when one of Herrara, Di Maria, and Blind are injured/rested. We need to establish a first side that understands it's style of play, tactics, etc. Excessive rotation has fecked us royally in the past.

I like Fellaini. I hope he stays. If we get into the CL next season I want him in the rotation. He is a good player and he deserves a chance. Just not at the expense of our first 11 developing a rhythm.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He's a reasonable forward for a West Ham or Stoke. Dreadful midfielder who gets caught ball watching constantly, can't pass, and fouls aimlessly and needlessly way too much.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He didn't do much wrong today to be fair to him, although didn't do much that was impressive either.

Sam

Just confirming how shite he is.

I was enjoying pretending he didn't exsist.

Boycott

I can see him starting against West Brom.

But today he offered nothing as a sub and it was a very poor decision to throw him in for his first minutes in 2 months against the Everton tide. Didn't get close to Barry at all for that free kick at the end.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
This is the type of match he should be coming on as a second striker, not a midfielder with defensive responsibilities.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He didn't do much wrong today to be fair to him, although didn't do much that was impressive either.
I was gonna ask: what did he do? Valencia was levels above him.

This is the type of match he should be coming on as a second striker, not a midfielder with defensive responsibilities.
Agree, we need to stop with this Fellaini in midfield lark. He is not a midfielder of any real quality. Put him behind the front man and we could've used him as a target for the last 15-20.

FromTheBench

Why did he come on for Valencia who was doing well enough ?

Should have come on for Mata or RVP so we could hoof it to him and let Wilson play off him.

ZDwyr

He didn't really do enough to gauge his performance I didn't think. He's obviously missed a lot of football and came back on and took a little bit to adjust to the pace, no surprise there.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Positionally he was so lost.

They ran through our centre of midfield so easily when he came on

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Absolute passenger. Didn't do anything bad, but didn't even bring anything positive to the table. And that's what gets my goat. 19 year Paddy McNair has shown more and had more decisive moments in 2 games than Fellaini in his United career.

Walters_19_MuFc

Interesting that Van Gaal put Fellaini on over Fletcher, but it was hard for him to get into the game, especially as Everton were pushing to get the equaliser and had the upper hand.

He's been out for about a month and has only been in training for a week. He's not going to be at his sharpest yet.

Ainu

Poor sub by Van Gaal. Was he even completely match fit? You don't bring on a player like that to play an important midfield role in close game with only 1 goal in it.

Dyslexic Untied

Completely let his man go on their corner (the guy Fellaini was 'marking' was free to make the shot that Blackett blocked).

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
All he did was chase shadows and make odd off the ball forward runs at the wrong time.

acnumber9

He has absolutely zero awareness of what is going around him. He's come on the right side of a diamond and left Baines and Oviedo free to get at Rafael. Could easily have cost us.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Absolute shite. Broke the defensive line to go running after the ball completely aimlessly.

Stringer

As soon as he is subbed on, we lose all control of the midfield. Happened against Swansea as well as today.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Why did he come on for Valencia who was doing well enough ?

Should have come on for Mata or RVP so we could hoof it to him and let Wilson play off him.
Maybe LVG was worried about the yellow cards racking up. Fellaini coming on was pretty depressing though. He didn't do anything useful.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Lumbering idiot. Adds nothing.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
feck my life.

Was Naismith his player in that situation when Rafael had two players to challenge in the air in one of those chances at the end, I missed it?

Minkaro

How does he fit into this team? From what I saw in his appearance today, he was basically just existing around the centre of the pitch. Now, I'll give him that he's just come back from injury, and I shouldn't expect huge things from him this early on, but I struggle to see what he's going to bring to this current United formation. You've got a midfield three of Valencia - Blind - Di Maria, and he replaced Valencia. Valencia, today, was playing the role that we usually look to Herrera to play, that combination CM/RM which requires a lot of running due to one of the key responsibilities being to drift out to the wing, support the full-back, and play crosses in. Does Fellaini have the energy, pace and crossing ability to do this? I don't think so.

The other alternative is to put him in where Blind played, but then I don't think Fellaini offers an improvement on Blind's passing and tackling in that defensive midfield role, and if you do that then you have to push Blind out to one of those wider midfield positions, where he may well struggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.