Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZDwyr

Watching Aguero dive again tonight reaffirms my belief that it wasn't a pen (against us) and Fellaini was in his rights to have a go at him.
Agree. There was contact, but Aguero clearly goes down easily. I'm not a fan of penalties for marginal contact.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Agree. There was contact, but Aguero clearly goes down easily. I'm not a fan of penalties for marginal contact.
Fully agreed.

I'm of the opinion that contact, especially if minor is not always a foul.

Conversely, I also do believe that in some situations there doesn't have to be contact for there to be a foul. If a player swipes and misses and the player gets out the way of the swipe for fear of injury its a clear foul.

Man Utd 1:0 Crystal Palace

Sam

He offers nothing in games like this, apart from the option to punt it up to him for a knockdown. Which is horrible to watch.

How he's keeping Hererra out of the team is beyond me.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
He offers nothing in games like this, apart from the option to punt it up to him for a knockdown. Which is horrible to watch.

How he's keeping Hererra out of the team is beyond me.
? Thought he was one of the better players, always tried to pass forward, did that many at times, was calm, had high pass accuracy, threat in the air, and brought the ball to the ground often. Solid performance by him.

Kag

He's been good in recent weeks but had a weak game today. If he's to play that box to box role against sides like Palace then the onus is on him to actually create chances and influence the game in an attacking way. He didn't really do anything today.

NK86

? Thought he was one of the better players, always tried to pass forward, did that many at times, was calm, had high pass accuracy, threat in the air, and brought the ball to the ground often. Solid performance by him.
I lost count of the number of times he played it immediately back to the CBs who had passed it to him. But for his hair, I would have thought of him as Cleverley.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Meh, said it before the match that those three ( Fellaini, Rooney, Carrick ) spell danger in midfield. He's looked far better when Blind was finally moved into midfield, that's not reall a disrespect to Carrick or so but those two don't seem to work all that great together.

NK86

He was okay, nothing wrong with his performance yet still some of you criticise him.
That's the problem. He was OK. We need someone in midfield who can open up defenses which sit as deep as Palace did today. And for a player who plays as high up the pitch as Fellaini did for us today and has been doing of late, he created zilch.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I don't really think there is anything really wrong with his performance but the team as a collective seems to be a lot slower and lot less creative with him in the team.

Kostur

海尔的老板
That's the problem. He was OK. We need someone in midfield who can open up defenses which sit as deep as Palace did today. And for a player who plays as high up the pitch as Fellaini did for us today and has been doing of late, he created zilch.
Then maybe start with dropping Rooney who's made less forward passes than Fellaini ?

Not to mention that Rooney's constantly spraying thos fecking balls to the wings, Jesus Christ.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
I lost count of the number of times he played it immediately back to the CBs who had passed it to him. But for his hair, I would have thought of him as Cleverley.
Yeah when was no movement in front of him, especially during our zombie moments, but if we raised up the tempo a bit and when he got the ball in oppositions half, he played the ball forward.

Roboc7

Saw his limitations today, although he kept possession well he only plays easy passes and although his physical presence was an asset what he offers as a cm isn't enough in terms of his range of passing and creativity and really he is only going to affect the game by getting on the end of a cross or set piece. It's not his fault but we needed a playmaker in there today to play the passes to open palace up, if affects the movement up front because players know they need to get close to him if they want the ball.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It was van Gaal's decision to play him, so Fellaini hardly deserves criticism.
What sort of absurd logic is this? Should we criticise no players, then?

He should never be playing home fixtures like this. He offers nothing but a hindrance in our play.

Woodenlung

Rooney and Fellaini is an awful midfield. Neither have the technical ability to play there at high level. Actually thought he was better than Rooney today but both were poor. Not much in it.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
It was van Gaal's decision to play him, so Fellaini hardly deserves criticism.
If a player doesn't play well though, they deserve criticism. It's the managers decision to play anyone, that's his job.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Rooney and Fellaini is an awful midfield. Neither have the technical ability to play there at high level. Actually thought he was better than Rooney today but both were poor. Not much in it.
Rooney's got plenty of technical ability; it's just that it's both erratic, and is suited to a more attacking role than in the midfield.

NK86

Then maybe start with dropping Rooney who's made less forward passes than Fellaini ?

Not to mention that Rooney's constantly spraying thos fecking balls to the wings, Jesus Christ.
Rooney is not a midfielder and yet he does a better job at it than Fellaini. Says all there is to say. Fellaini was OK and I am not saying he was awful but he provided no impetus to our play, something we need in games like these

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Meh, said it before the match that those three ( Fellaini, Rooney, Carrick ) spell danger in midfield. He's looked far better when Blind was finally moved into midfield, that's not reall a disrespect to Carrick or so but those two don't seem to work all that great together.
I agree. It has to be one or the other with Carrick and Fellaini.

I'm pleased with Fellaini's performances though. Great ball retention and he wins all the physical battles. As much as I prefer Herrera, he wouldn't boss the midfield like Fellaini has been doing. I'd like to see them both put into the same midfield if possible. Blind, Fellaini, Herrera and Di Maria as a midfield gives us a bit of everything.

Sam

From Blind, Herrera, Di Maria to Fellaini and Rooney.

Utterly depressing.

Walters_19_MuFc

As soon as Fellaini doesn't produce great performances like he did against Chelsea and City, people will start getting on his back again like today. Wasn't great by any means today, but he was far from poor like some are saying.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Rooney is not a midfielder and yet he does a better job at it than Fellaini. Says all there is to say. Fellaini was OK and I am not saying he was awful but he provided no impetus to our play, something we need in games like these
He doesn't though, that's the problem. I've already told you that Rooney did less forward passes than him and merely a couple more passes overall than him, he did less defensive job and I assume that ran less kilometers as well ( that's just me guessing though, mind ). He didn't get an assist, created two real chances one of which was Fellaini's header and had a two or three shit shots. He's the #10 in that trio while Fellaini is the box to box #8.

It's about the time we stop with that idiotic formation and playing those players together. Move Rooney up front and get Mata in his place.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Its a horses for courses approach.

Palace were sitting deep and we were not crossing it to him so Fellaini could not get involved into the game as much as the last 2.

Danny Boi

Fellaini should only be used against the big team and off the bench as a last resort.He had an ok performance today but I feel Herrera would have offered much more penetration.

It simply wasn't his type of game today.When you have 72% possession you want some who can break through the defense and create a chance.Mata and Herrera are these type of players Fellaini is not.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
As soon as Fellaini doesn't produce great performances like he did against Chelsea and City, people will start getting on his back again like today. Wasn't great by any means today, but he was far from poor like some are saying.
He was fecking awful. Like the whole midfield.

Not a fan of him but he didnt stand out by any means.

sport2793

The issue is that we need someone with a blend of Fellaini's physicality and Blind's possession play. Blind gets pushed off the ball way too much and puts us in terrible positions but we can't rely on Fellaini to keep the game ticking. If we find a player like that (who can stay healthy) then we finish top 3. If not, I would at least replace Blind with Carrick once our CBs are healthy and revert to the 4-3-3 variant.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Was shite. Hopefully gets dropped. He's good for bringing down long balls and heading it... About it. On the ball, passing wise, he's just not very good and so many times he could have done a quick pass forward to RvP, he just passed it back.

dirkey

This comment about Rooney is so ridiculous. He did play those balls a few times alright. But hey, let's kill him for getting the ball to a free man on our team, in a wide attacking position. 2 of the supposedly creative players in the team in Januzaj and Di Maria, both of whom were poor today. But yeah, let's bash Rooney for getting the ball to them just because they did nothing with it. Such an overwritten silly comment on this forum.

Fellaini was ok today. I thought we should have brought on Herrera alright, Fellaini just doesn't really suit these games, he's not really going to create much. Thought he was ok in what he did, and when people are saying all he did was pass the ball back, I disagree. I think Blind does that a hell of a lot and it doesn't get mentioned, and I actually thought Fellaini at least tried to beat his man on a few occasions - admittedly he made a balls of it each time, but at least he tried.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Am I the only one who thought the midfield did fine today?

We dominated the game until we got into the final third which is where things broke down. Van Persie, Di Maria and Januzaj offered nothing whatsoever all game and the movement up top was poor.

But yeah, let's have a go at Fellaini who while not great, had a decent enough game. Some lazy opinions in here.

starman

People just have set opinions on him. Its really pathetic. He did not have a bad game, he was solid and ok, nothing to scream about, but because he was not putting in a outstanding performance he is criticised. In reality he was probably our 4th best player among a very average performance.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Was poor but so were a lot of our players.

Isn't particularly suited to these sort of games, should be on the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.