5.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minkaro

Remember when Rio went months without conceding a foul? April one year to January the next, I think it was?

The only way Fellaini could go a month without conceding a foul is if he was in the middle of a six month injury layoff.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I would love you to tell me where I'm wrong in my piece of text.
It's not the facts, it's their interpretation that's interesting. I think everyone would agree that he missed/had a great chance and was clumsy and dirty in his defensive game. But 95% posters agree that he was awful (and it's also a confirmation bias as we are influenced by our perception of the player - I would argue though that ours is closer to reality than yours, but it's a different point) and you make it sound like he was great but slightly unlucky

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
After what is shaping up to be a brilliant transfer window it'll all be so disappointing at the end if fellaini stays

Him and rojo need to feck off and I'll be happy as ever

Walters_19_MuFc

It's not the facts, it's their interpretation that's interesting. I think everyone would agree that he missed/had a great chance and was clumsy and dirty in his defensive game. But 95% posters agree that he was awful (and it's also a confirmation bias as we are influenced by our perception of the player - I would argue though that ours is closer to reality than yours, but it's a different point) and you make it sound like he was great but slightly unlucky
I disagree, and this is what often happens on the forum. People misinterpret a lot of stuff.

There's no way I made Fellaini sound great. I gave an overview of what I saw.

Started slow
Silly fouls
Threat in the last 10 mins

Simple!

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I disagree, and this is what often happens on the forum. People misinterpret a lot of stuff.

There's no way I made Fellaini sound great. I gave an overview of what I saw.

Started slow
Silly fouls
Threat in the last 10 mins

Simple!
Well, your overview was a little different when we consider how much time you spent talking about the negatives and the positives (unlike in the summary, where negatives obviously outweigh positives)

2 words about the slow start (literally "slow start")
4 words about his silly fouls (including "and" and "some", which is uncountable, but still usually meaning not a big amount, while Fellaini managed to make more fouls than any other player on the pitch in just 45 minutes)
and 59 words describing his threat in the last 10 minutes, including "good", "unlucky", "couldn't handle him" etc.

So you're objective and unbiased?

Walters_19_MuFc

Slow start, and some silly fouls, but when Belgium started playing to his strengths, Wales couldn't handle him. As we know, he's always a threat in and around the box, whether it's in the air or on the ground. He seems to pick up good positions, and was unlucky not to score. Really should have scored actually, but wasn't to me.
Well, your overview was a little different when we consider how much time you spent talking about the negatives and the positives (unlike in the summary, where negatives obviously outweigh positives)

2 words about the slow start (literally "slow start")
4 words about his silly fouls (including "and" and "some", which is uncountable, but still usually meaning not a big amount, while Fellaini managed to make more fouls than any other player on the pitch in just 45 minutes)
and 59 words describing his threat in the last 10 minutes, including "good", "unlucky", "couldn't handle him" etc.

So you're objective and unbiased?
Again, this is where you're wrong.

After the bit where I put 'Wales couldn't handle him', I spoke about Fellaini in general, using words like 'threat in and around the box', 'picks up good positions'. Am I wrong? Does he not provide a threat in the box? Both boxes, that is.

I then summed it up by saying he was unlucky not to score. Then if you read after that, I put he should have scored.

Again, I don't see where I'm wrong.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.

After the bit where I put 'Wales couldn't handle him', I spoke about Fellaini in general, using words like 'threat in and around the box', 'picks up good positions'. Am I wrong? Does he not provide a threat in the box? Both boxes, that is.

I then summed it up by saying he was unlucky not to score. Then if you read after that, I put he should have scored.

Evidently we could handle him. Didn't score, didn't assist didn't prevent a goal.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Started fouling everything that moves when he came on and missed a great chance. Really summed him up.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
He got onto the end of most crosses. Even Robby Savage said he was a threat. Could have easily picked up a goal and an assist. Didn't happen, but that doesn't mean you handled him.
He caused a lot of fouls slowed down belgium's play and should have been sent off.

Yes he's a threat around the box but he done more bad than good.

Steven7290

Unusual, but I do see your point and kinda agree with it.

dichinero

He got onto the end of most crosses. Even Robby Savage said he was a threat. Could have easily picked up a goal and an assist. Didn't happen, but that doesn't mean you handled him.
You keep on describing as though he had an influential game and was unlucky not to lead Belgium to victory. This was hardly the case. The best thing he did was onto a handful of crosses and it still didn't lead to much.

Walters_19_MuFc

You keep on describing as though he had an influential game and was unlucky not to lead Belgium to victory. This was hardly the case. The best thing he did was onto a handful of crosses and it still didn't lead to much.
Read my previous post. I said he was hard to handle in the last 10 mins. Ironically, those 10 mins he was pushed further up, where he was much more of a threat, in my opinion.

Crimson King

I like Fellaini but he's just not the kind of player I want the team I love to ever have to rely upon ever again.

Saying that he'll probably not leave this summer, so might as well get some use out of him when the time calls for it.

dichinero

Read my previous post. I said he was hard to handle in the last 10 mins. Ironically, those 10 mins he was pushed further up, where he was much more of a threat, in my opinion.
He seemed to be a threat not that he was really a threat. In one of your posts, you said the threats came when the Belgian team played to his strengths; lumping the ball to him. Is Fellaini worth it for the team to play for Fellaini? He is neither Messi nor Ronaldo so why would the team abandon what has served them thus far one player who isn't more than an average player but merely an option?

In their first game, Fellaini was terrible and with him in the side, the team resorted to lumping it to him rather than trying to be more creative and allowing for more individual brilliance to be exploited. Fellaini is a lazy option for managers and players alike. What did Fellaini do today that Dembele could not do? Apart from the 3/4 times when he got on the end of crosses, of which none was fruitful, he was no better than an average player.

After the shambolic first game, Fellaini was dropped and guess what, Belgium were playing some proper and exciting football. Players were taking on players and their was an air of unpredictability about them rather looking for the easy way out in Fellaini. Belgium kept him out of the side and they got better. The best teams find many creative ways to break teams down rather than the prehistoric air to land missile strategy.

It says a lot when Wilmots didn't start Fellaini despite losing Vermaelen, Vertonghen in the absence of Kompany to provide the so called needed height and physicality that Fellaini supposedly provides. Wilmots lost the game in one single act of cowardice: bringing on Fellaini.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I hope we keep him as a squad player.

We can't sell players just because their style of play isn't suiting some fans.

Fellaini brings height, physicality and fight. Yes, he do step over the line in terms of elbows/etc, but at least he let himself be known to the opposition.

Red Stone

Fellaini brings height, physicality and fight. Yes, he do step over the line in terms of elbows/etc, but at least he let himself be known to the opposition.
We recently signed a guy who brings exactly those things with the added bonus of not playing like a clogged toilet.

ti vu

His contribution is like Welbeck esque. You know he is clumsy and can't make most out of his chance, but you can't risk leave him alone to do his thing. Wales didn't contain him. He did mentally put Wales on the toes. However, with Fellaini's limited football abilities, from a potential threat to actual end product is still a lot of work. Fruit doesn't come off using him often enough. Frustrating dirty player to watch.

Last edited:

YouOnlyLiveTwice

We recently signed a guy who brings exactly those things with the added bonus of not playing like a clogged toilet.
See i don't think he plays like a clogged toilet. He is a pain in the arse for defenders to deal with when played right.

Getting Zlatan does make Fellaini less important, but he could definitely still be useful next season.

pauldyson1uk

See i don't think he plays like a clogged toilet. He is a pain in the arse for defenders to deal with when played right.

Getting Zlatan does make Fellaini less important, but he could definitely still be useful next season.
I agree with this , I like Fellaini always have done.
Yes he has his faults, I see him playing his part next season.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Having read Jose's tactical blueprints years ago (Porto days) he usually goes for an imposing and confident defensive midfield. I don't think Fellaini fits the description but if he stays, my bets are on him playin as 6.

dichinero

Here lies the problem. If we were a long ball team, I doubt many will complain. If playing to a Fellaini strengths has been proven in the past but other clubs to generate success, fewer would complain. If the top teams in the world to such tactics, no complain. Should we play to the strengths of one average player or play to the strengths of the team? What percentage of our players are naturally inclined to play to Fellaini's strengths.

The support for him is only because we have him not for the advantage of the team. I wonder how many would be interested in the next Fellaini.

We claim that we are a big team but even the fans lack the dream of ambition to be a big team. Name one top team that will employ Fellaini and play to his strengths?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Forgetting his skill level, footballing level, what ever else, I just think the sneaky horrible way he plays and tries to hurt opponents is awful. I just can't begin to like him, never have really. humorous sometimes I suppose if he does it to another player you're not keen on but still cringeworthy.
The way he tackled bale last night and followed through trying to stamp with his second foot was disgusting. He could have had a yellow for the tackle and then an immediate red for the stamp in my opinion, lucky to only get a yellow.
Probably the only united player I've never warmed to and would be happy to see leave, and that's from day 1.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Here lies the problem. If we were a long ball team, I doubt many will complain. If playing to a Fellaini strengths has been proven in the past but other clubs to generate success, fewer would complain. If the top teams in the world to such tactics, no complain. Should we play to the strengths of one average player or play to the strengths of the team? What percentage of our players are naturally inclined to play to Fellaini's strengths.

The support for him is only because we have him not for the advantage of the team. I wonder how many would be interested in the next Fellaini.

We claim that we are a big team but even the fans lack the dream of ambition to be a big team. Name one top team that will employ Fellaini and play to his strengths?
As i said i don't want him to start for us, but he could be a good squad player.

You don't have to constantly play long balls to Fellaini just because he is on the pitch, but he will always be a great target in the box.

It was a mistake to buy him in the first place, but why not use him now that he is here?

dichinero

As i said i don't want him to start for us, but he could be a good squad player.

You don't have to constantly play long balls to Fellaini just because he is on the pitch, but he will always be a great target in the box.

It was a mistake to buy him in the first place, but why not use him now that he is here?
Of course you don't have to but how often do teams resort to long balls as an easy escape route? Pretty much most of the time.

Why not use him while he is here? Is the club here for him or him for the club? I don't get this logic. It was clearly an error signing him in the first place but it is enough reason to keep him. We bought Bebe, why not keep him? We hired Moyes and LvG but yeah let's keep them anyway.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Of course you don't have to but how often do teams resort to long balls as an easy escape route? Pretty much most of the time.

Why not use him while he is here? Is the club here for him or him for the club? I don't get this logic. It was clearly an error signing him in the first place but it is enough reason to keep him. We bought Bebe, why not keep him? We hired Moyes and LvG but yeah let's keep them anyway.
Do i have to remind you that we played our best football under LvG with Fellaini in the team and that we didn't play long balls all the time. A good balance between long balls and a normal passing game can be achieved, even with Fellaini in the team.

Bebe was never as good as Fellaini. There is no reason to sell him unless someone bids a great fee. We need squad players, and Fellaini isn't one to create drama over sitting on the bench.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

I try and be objective where Fellaini is concerned as I've never really been a fan of his style and I fully believe that to get the best out of him, you can only use him in a specific way - which effects the way which the team plays - long balls and direct. Strangely enough, our midfield options were so fire at the point we signed him, I was actually happy when Moyes did. But that's when I was under the impression Fellaini could do a job as a CM or even, DM.

The reason I want him sold though, is that IMO, he's not good enough to be a starter, and at best, he's a valuable plan B. But there are other implications of having him in the team though - £27m and possibly high wages - both could be recouped and it opens up a space in the squad to give minutes to some youth - Pereira/TFM etc.

We have enough senior midfielders in the team to provide the experience. I'm a massive Herrera/Mata fan as well, but I wouldn't mind of either of them/both are sold for the above reasons as well.

*obviously I'm not saying sell all 3. We need some decent depth, but you get what I'm saying, I hope.

dichinero

Do i have to remind you that we played our best football under LvG with Fellaini in the team and that we didn't play long balls all the time. A good balance between long balls and a normal passing game can be achieved, even with Fellaini in the team.

Bebe was never as good as Fellaini. There is no reason to sell him unless someone bids a great fee. We need squad players, and Fellaini isn't one to create drama over sitting on the bench.
Is it safe to say that you are referring to the "golden" 3 match run of 2 seasons ago? If it is then would you also use that as an argument for the other players like Herrera and Mata who were equally influential in that run. Did we not also have 3 shambolic performances right after that run, with him in the side?

What are really our best performances? Is it because we beat some teams who we still beat the season after with less than impressive performances?

I believe we have had better performances without Felliani near the pitch, for a longer run of games. More recently, Belgium got going the instant Fellaini was dropped and capitulated the moment he was reinstated.

Players like Mata, Rashford, Lingard, Herrera have been involved in more better performances were they have been equally influential and yet the sample size is still too small to make a proper judgement.

Why would Fellaini even complain about on the bench when it is obvious that he is not good enough to be on the bench? Do you think Rojo would complain? Or Anderson, Bebe? Is that what United have become? Keeping a player in the team because he will not complain for been on the bench. We are talking about a PL player with almost a decade of PL experience. Players like Herrera should be looking up to Fellaini even.

I'd rather have players that will want to fight for their place regardless of who is infront of them. I'd rather have a Pereira or TFM that have more to their game than just being more than option, young, hungry and keeping the guys in front on their toes.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Is it safe to say that you are referring to the "golden" 3 match run of 2 seasons ago? If it is then would you also use that as an argument for the other players like Herrera and Mata who were equally influential in that run. Did we not also have 3 shambolic performances right after that run, with him in the side?

What are really our best performances? Is it because we beat some teams who we still beat the season after with less than impressive performances?

I believe we have had better performances without Felliani near the pitch, for a longer run of games. More recently, Belgium got going the instant Fellaini was dropped and capitulated the moment he was reinstated.

Players like Mata, Rashford, Lingard, Herrera have been involved in more better performances were they have been equally influential and yet the sample size is still too small to make a proper judgement.

Why would Fellaini even complain about on the bench when it is obvious that he is not good enough to be on the bench? Do you think Rojo would complain? Or Anderson, Bebe? Is that what United have become? Keeping a player in the team because he will not complain for been on the bench. We are talking about a PL player with almost a decade of PL experience. Players like Herrera should be looking up to Fellaini even.

I'd rather have players that will want to fight for their place regardless of who is infront of them. I'd rather have a Pereira or TFM that have more to their game than just being more than option, young, hungry and keeping the guys in front on their toes.
I mentioned that run of good football because you we're saying we only played long balls with Fellaini on the pitch, which we clearly didn't.

Pereira and TFM can still be in the squad even with Fellaini staying.

In the end it comes down to you not rating Fellaini, whereas i think he can contribute to our season. Maybe we should end it with that.

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
Do i have to remind you that we played our best football under LvG with Fellaini in the team and that we didn't play long balls all the time.
It was a 4 match period, 4 match period in the 3 seasons he's been at the club, a period where even Phil Jones played all those matches as well. Then Phil Jones went out injured, and we lost the following 3 matches against Chelsea, Everton and West Brom. Maybe Phil Jones was the key player...We played the long ball up to Fellaini plenty of times in that period.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

It was a 4 match period, 4 match period in the 3 seasons he's been at the club, a period where even Phil Jones played all those matches as well. Then Phil Jones went out injured, and we lost the following 3 matches against Chelsea, Everton and West Brom. Maybe Phil Jones was the key player...We played the long ball up to Fellaini plenty of times in that period.
It was most likely Carrick who also got injured that screwed it up, but that wasn't my point was it. We played long balls, but it was not the only thing we did.

Plenty of top teams have used target men as an option in their team, it doesn't mean you have to do it constantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.