5.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walters_19_MuFc

And what was the point you were trying to make ?
Well, you said, "I mean, honestly, the same as Fergie did with the likes of Pirlo, Ozil and mr "etc". It's pretty much as funny as it gets".

So I'm asking you if what Sir Alex did with Pirlo and Ozil is different to what he did with Fellaini, in terms of making sure he had someone to man mark them?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
He played very well that night no doubt and was hard to handle, but saying he destroyed us single handedly is overstating it a bit mate. The game finished 1-0.

It was was a pretty even game in terms of possession and chances. They took one of theirs from a corner fair play to them. But it should be noted we were playing a makeshift back four with Valencia and Carrick filling in. He did more damage to us in the 4-4 game than in that 1-0.
Again with this yeah he had a great game but.... they did this and they did that. I honestly don't understand this recurring theme on this forum. If someone has had a good game then you just admit that they had a good game and I know you did that but then you went on discrediting his achievement.

Destroying single handedly may be exaggeration (even though I heard one of the pundits say it once), but he dominated the game and won it for Everton. That's good enough by its own. To come to the bigger picture: Fellaini is capable of having games like that and one his day he can be almost unstoppable.

Now like I said before, if anyone thinks he isn't suited for Manchester United and we need a different kind of player or that he's not good enough to start for aspiring European champion then fair enough. Even though I don't agree with that a hundred percent, I can understand it. But when people just discredit all of his performances and say he's a useless lump only good when long ball tactics are applied, their opinions can't be taken seriously.

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
Well, you said, "I mean, honestly, the same as Fergie did with the likes of Pirlo, Ozil and mr "etc". It's pretty much as funny as it gets".

So I'm asking you if what Sir Alex did with Pirlo and Ozil is different to what he did with Fellaini, in terms of making sure he had someone to man mark them?
So you can't explain what point you were actually trying to make, well that's a good start right there for you. From the outside it looked like you were trying to make a very cheap point about Fellainis quality, Fergie had him man marked and he used to do that with the likes of Pirlo, so that's how highly Fergie rated him, same same and all that.

Fergie had Pirlo tracked by Park because Pirlo was the one pulling all the strings, cut off Pirlo successfully and severely limit Milans passing. Seeking to limit the way the opposition normally plays, it's normal and everyone does it. It's not something Fergie did with a few select players, or Mourinho. City, Tottenham and Liverpool allowed Fellaini to roam between midfield and attack where he was a constant passing option for us. It showed us just how difficult it is to play against Fellaini if he's given time and space. As a result, he was pretty much constantly allowed to bring the ball down in dangerous areas. Just like he did against us in his holy grail of matches, which is constantly fapped about by some in here, where we had Michael Carrick as a cb and a central midfield consisting of Scholes, Nani, Cleverley and Kagawa. It's true that Fergie had Jones follow him to limit Evertons ability to use him, it's natural, it's also true that Jones went off after half time and we spent the remaining match with Giggs, Cleverley and Carrick in midfield, and we still dominated with ease. While the matches against City, Tottenham and Liverpool showed how effective he can be given time, the match against Chelsea showed just how far below he is the required level. Mourinho did two things with ease, he limited our ability to play out of defence and he stuck zouma on Fellaini to prevent us from using Fellaini as a passing option to relieve pressure. As a result we were toothless.

After 3 seasons, that run of matches is still the best Fellaini has ever done for us, which says it all.. If Mourinho can get that out of Fellaini on a consistent basis, superb. Overall he has performed worse than Anderson, and he was ridiculed

MThomas

But when people just discredit all of his performances and say he's a useless lump only good when long ball tactics are applied, their opinions can't be taken seriously.
It's not a discredit of a performance to say he's a useless lump only good when long ball tactics are applied, that's just the truth. He could still have an excellent performance, but that's still the truth. Andy Carroll is a turd of a player, but that hattrick against Arsenal was an excellent performance.

See, it's not difficult.

RedElf

But when people just discredit all of his performances and say he's a useless lump only good when long ball tactics are applied, their opinions can't be taken seriously.
Well I think he's a useless lump, only good for helping out defence on set pieces and maybe lobbing hopeful balls into the opposition box. Between boxes he's just making the numbers up. :D

stevoc

Again with this yeah he had a great game but.... they did this and they did that. I honestly don't understand this recurring theme on this forum. If someone has had a good game then you just admit that they had a good game and I know you did that but then you went on discrediting his achievement.

Destroying single handedly may be exaggeration (even though I heard one of the pundits say it once), but he dominated the game and won it for Everton. That's good enough by its own. To come to the bigger picture: Fellaini is capable of having games like that and one his day he can be almost unstoppable.

Now like I said before, if anyone thinks he isn't suited for Manchester United and we need a different kind of player or that he's not good enough to start for aspiring European champion then fair enough. Even though I don't agree with that a hundred percent, I can understand it. But when people just discredit all of his performances and say he's a useless lump only good when long ball tactics are applied, their opinions can't be taken seriously.
I am not trying to discredit his performance at all mate. Only providing context, i have said in many posts on here in the right set-up he can be a nightmare to handle almost unplayable at times. In that game he didn't destroy us though in my opinion, he had a great game and got his side the win by taking advantage of the fact we were playing two midfielders in a patched up defence. He beat Carrick to a header for the winning goal did he not.

I also said i thought he did more damage against us in the 4-4 when he had a full defence out and were in really good form. I thought he was brilliant that day i'f im honest. So it's not as if i am unwilling to give the guy credit.

Last edited:

Walters_19_MuFc

So you can't explain what point you were actually trying to make, well that's a good start right there for you. From the outside it looked like you were trying to make a very cheap point about Fellainis quality, Fergie had him man marked and he used to do that with the likes of Pirlo, so that's how highly Fergie rated him, same same and all that.

Fergie had Pirlo tracked by Park because Pirlo was the one pulling all the strings, cut off Pirlo successfully and severely limit Milans passing. Seeking to limit the way the opposition normally plays, it's normal and everyone does it. It's not something Fergie did with a few select players, or Mourinho. City, Tottenham and Liverpool allowed Fellaini to roam between midfield and attack where he was a constant passing option for us. It showed us just how difficult it is to play against Fellaini if he's given time and space. As a result, he was pretty much constantly allowed to bring the ball down in dangerous areas. Just like he did against us in his holy grail of matches, which is constantly fapped about by some in here, where we had Michael Carrick as a cb and a central midfield consisting of Scholes, Nani, Cleverley and Kagawa. It's true that Fergie had Jones follow him to limit Evertons ability to use him, it's natural, it's also true that Jones went off after half time and we spent the remaining match with Giggs, Cleverley and Carrick in midfield, and we still dominated with ease. While the matches against City, Tottenham and Liverpool showed how effective he can be given time, the match against Chelsea showed just how far below he is the required level. Mourinho did two things with ease, he limited our ability to play out of defence and he stuck zouma on Fellaini to prevent us from using Fellaini as a passing option to relieve pressure. As a result we were toothless.

After 3 seasons, that run of matches is still the best Fellaini has ever done for us, which says it all.. If Mourinho can get that out of Fellaini on a consistent basis, superb. Overall he has performed worse than Anderson, and he was ridiculed
So you do know what point I'm trying to make?

Would have been so much better to get a response like first time instead of the silliness. Nevermind.

I want to make it clear that I'm not comparing Fellaini with Pirlo, Ozil, etc. However, what I will say, is that although the Fellaini has a completely different skillset to the players I mentioned, he is still very dangerous, in my opinion, if played correctly. So much so that Sir Alex had to specifically get someone to man mark him.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
It's not a discredit of a performance to say he's a useless lump only good when long ball tactics are applied, that's just the truth. He could still have an excellent performance, but that's still the truth. Andy Carroll is a turd of a player, but that hattrick against Arsenal was an excellent performance.

See, it's not difficult.
Except when he played for a team that never used long ball tactics. It seems very difficult for you.

MThomas

So you do know what point I'm trying to make?

Would have been so much better to get a response like first time instead of the silliness. Nevermind.

I want to make it clear that I'm not comparing Fellaini with Pirlo, Ozil, etc. However, what I will say, is that although the Fellaini has a completely different skillset to the players I mentioned, he is still very dangerous, in my opinion, if played correctly. So much so that Sir Alex had to specifically get someone to man mark him.
The only thing that's been consistently very dangerous with Fellaini since he joined us, is his tendency to use his elbows. Apart from that, over the 3 seasons span he's been here, he has overall been a massive disappointment apart from a small run of matches (i suppose he was man marked in all the other matches....) He isn't mobile enough, his technique isn't good enough and his passing isn't good enough. You're too caught up in him being man marked, as if it's the official stamp of approval from Fergie and Mourinho. He was at Everton between 08-13, not once did we make even an half arsed attempt at signing him. Man marking him was an effective way at preventing the opposition from playing their football, we easily limited Everton by doing it and Chelsea easily limited us by doing it.

Then again, people have funny opinions when it comes to Fellaini, it took quite a lot of people in here a good season to understand that he's not a defensive midfielder, even though the fecker thinks so himself (:houllier::houllier:)

Walters_19_MuFc

The only thing that's been consistently very dangerous with Fellaini since he joined us, is his tendency to use his elbows. Apart from that, over the 3 seasons span he's been here, he has overall been a massive disappointment apart from a small run of matches (i suppose he was man marked in all the other matches....) He isn't mobile enough, his technique isn't good enough and his passing isn't good enough. You're too caught up in him being man marked, as if it's the official stamp of approval from Fergie and Mourinho. He was at Everton between 08-13, not once did we make even an half arsed attempt at signing him. Man marking him was an effective way at preventing the opposition from playing their football, we easily limited Everton by doing it and Chelsea easily limited us by doing it.

Then again, people have funny opinions when it comes to Fellaini, it took quite a lot of people in here a good season to understand that he's not a defensive midfielder, even though the fecker thinks so himself (:houllier::houllier:)
I'm not too caught up in anything. You asked me to make my point and I did.

Smores

:lol: Everton were fecking dire, they loved playing the ball directly up to Fellaini so he could either head it onwards or chest it down, that was his biggest strength at Everton.
They really weren't. In his final season there they played some really good football and so did he. I can only assume you didn't watch them very much beyond our games against them.

stevoc

They really weren't. In his final season there they played some really good football and so did he. I can only assume you didn't watch them very much beyond our games against them.
They played probably their best football under Moyes in his final season there that is true. It was not bad football at all, as you say really good at times in fact. Decent football was the exception though and not the norm they played some tumescent stuff over the course of his 12 years there, more bad than good.

They were never exclusively a long ball side under Moyes so it would be harsh to brand them long ball merchants, but it was a regularly used tactic when Fellaini was playing further up the pitch it has to be said. As it has been at United also since Fellaini signed to be fair, if you are going to play him you might as well play to his strengths i suppose.

Jaybomb

Honestly can't understand why this guy gets so much stick. He's scored a lot of important goals for us and generally always gives it 100% when he's on the pitch. He's been a better signing than Herrera, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger and some of the other "darlings" who've done nothing in the team.

Answer me this... would we have won the FA Cup without Fellaini? No.

Every time I see him on the team sheet, I know we're gonna be solid in the midfield. Some fans on here would have Blind, Carrick and Herrera in midfield if they had their way. Theres a reason every manager favors him. And I don't think Jose will be any different.

Perrick Dubois

:lol: Everton were fecking dire, they loved playing the ball directly up to Fellaini so he could either head it onwards or chest it down, that was his biggest strength at Everton.
@BigDunc9 @SilentWitness Can we get a proper opinion from a couple of Everton supporters on this matter please? I thought they were pretty good to watch with Pienaar and Mirallas being very direct wide players playing in the lanes. Osman also had an excellent season from memory.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
@BigDunc9 @SilentWitness Can we get a proper opinion from a couple of Everton supporters on this matter please? I thought they were pretty good to watch with Pienaar and Mirallas being very direct wide players playing in the lanes. Osman also had an excellent season from memory.
If it's about Fellainis last season it was a mix between direct football to Fellaini so he could get involved out wide or in the middle and also nice wing play between the Pienaar/Baines combo and Coleman/Mirallas. We weren't dire by any means though, played lovely football at times. Probably Moyes' best season in terms of playing nice-ish football.

Perrick Dubois

If it's about Fellainis last season it was a mix between direct football to Fellaini so he could get involved out wide or in the middle and also nice wing play between the Pienaar/Baines combo and Coleman/Mirallas. We weren't dire by any means though, played lovely football at times. Probably Moyes' best season in terms of playing nice-ish football.
Thanks. Myth well and truly busted.

stevoc

To be fair SilentWitness and yourself are only referring to Fellaini's last season at Everton. SilentWitness confirmed even in that season they liked to play direct to Fellaini quite a lot. In seasons before that one with Fellaini involved they played some lets just say not so easy on the eye football.

So what myth exactly has been busted?

Last edited:

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
I think @SilentWitness can back me up and confirm that Fellaini also had some really good spells in the deeper position partnered with Gibson. I suppose Everton not playing on the front foot that much under Moyes suited him though.

stevoc

I think SilentWitness can back me up and confirm that Fellaini also had some really good spells in the deeper position partnered with Gibson. I suppose Everton not playing on the front foot that much under Moyes suited him though.
No doubt mate, i can remember him having some cracking games further back for you lot. I remember he had a few really good games vs City in particular. As you say though Everton being much more compact suited him playing in there.

For the majority of his time at United he's only really played well further forward in a freer role in my opinion. Last season in particular when Van Gaal continually played him deeper in a midfield two he was dire. He only started having a positive influence again when moved further forward towards the end of the season.

MThomas

Myth well and truly busted because an Everton supporter reckons that it was a mix between hoofing it up to Fellaini and "nice wing play" and that Everton according to him played lovely football at times.

Yes :lol::lol: That's well and truly a busted myth.

Look at the performance he's still hailed for against us when we had Scholes Cleverley in central midfield, with Carrick as a defender against Fellaini, how did Everton use Fellaini..

More often than not Everton were dire, it was also mentioned when we hired Moyes (but the hope was Moyes would get more out of better quality players at United compared to what he had available at Everton).

Eugenius

I really don't understand why some people have to convince themselves that there's a brilliant player somewhere in Fellaini that's being misused. He's absolutely dire in central midfield, I've seen every game he's played there for us and he cannot do the basic things required of a midfielder: passing, positioning, temperament etc. He's a good battering ram though, if you're not set up to deal with him he'll take you apart.

DenisIrwin

I think he's best used in midfield to break up opponents' play and start counters. The worst way to use him is as a target man. The opposition usually surround him in that case and we become far too predictable. When he breaks up play and plays simple pass and move while getting forward we have done well.

Perrick Dubois

Myth well and truly busted because an Everton supporter reckons that it was a mix between hoofing it up to Fellaini and "nice wing play" and that Everton according to him played lovely football at times.

Yes :lol::lol: That's well and truly a busted myth.
Indeed it is, you have no credibility in here anymore.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
:lol:

Nice imagination and all..

If Fellaini doesn't turn out to be mint under Mourinho as the manager, Fellaini will end up as the worst big money signing in the history of the club..That's quite the achievement right there. Probably Fellaini's biggest achievement.
Worst big money signing in United's history? He's not even the worst big money signing in the last 3 years.

It's amazing you aren't thread banned given the amount of garbage you spew in this thread.

JackRed

:lol:

Nice imagination and all..

If Fellaini doesn't turn out to be mint under Mourinho as the manager, Fellaini will end up as the worst big money signing in the history of the club..That's quite the achievement right there. Probably Fellaini's biggest achievement.
Fellaini has proven to be an important player at times since he has joined, important insofar as he has performed okay, and sometimes well (sometimes among our best performers) in a poorly performing team. I am far from his biggest supporter and I think he should be sold as he doesn't fit into my view of what we need but I certainly don't disregard what he has done in his time here. I never expected much from him as I didn't particularly like him when we signed him but he isn't the worst big money signing in the history of the club. He has just been underwhelming.

Status
Not open for further replies.