5.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Siorac

That's exactly how you would explain it. I mean how else would he be able to destroy a Man united side on the opening day of the season all alone?
Everton had 11 players out there, you know.

And just how long will that game be brought up as a testament to Fellaini's incredible quality? Because Morten Gamst Pedersen once scored a fecking hat-trick against United but nobody seemed keen on bringing him here.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Seriously? When played in the right position (to me as the most advanced in a three) he dominates, in my opinion.

When a manager like Mourinho specifically goes out his way to try and mark Fellaini out the game. That's something Sir Alex did with Pirlo, Ozil, etc.
Think your logic regarding Mourinho is a bit off. Man marking a player doesn't necessarily mean he bosses the game. It could just mean that the opposition game plan is very dependent on him, or that he's a threat very easily nullified by man marking. For example, Scholes regularly bossed games without anyone man marking him as they probably knew he'd be too difficult to man mark and/or the rest of the team would find a way around it. Neither was true in Fellaini's case.

Last edited:

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Whaaaat? Sorry Akash but you don't half make sweeping statements and once again, that is complete nonsense.
It's almost a widely held belief round here that Bastian, Morgan and Herrera have been vangled. You don't even need to look too hard to find such posts. I'd have a look if I were you.

Walters_19_MuFc

Think your logic regarding Mourinho is a bit off. Man marking a player doesn't necessarily mean he bosses the game. It could just mean that the opposition game plan is very dependent on him, or that he's a threat very easily nullified by man marking. For example, Scholes regularly bossed games without anyone man marking him as they probably knew he'd be too difficult to man mark and/or the rest of the team would find a way around it. Neither was true in Fellaini's case.
They should have. That's how we beat Milan. Just ask Pirlo.

stevoc

Seriously? When played in the right position (to me as the most advanced in a three) he dominates, in my opinion.

When a manager like Mourinho specifically goes out his way to try and mark Fellaini out the game. That's something Sir Alex did with Pirlo, Ozil, etc.
Ferguson once played Phil Neville on the right wing against Sunderland, when asked after the match why he did this. He said Michael Gray was their biggest attacking threat on the left, so he nullified it and we won 5-0.

Fellaini can be dangerous no doubt, at that time United were beating the press by humping it up to Fellaini. So by putting Zouma onto Fellaini he effectively cut off our out ball when under pressure. But Fellaini bossing games not for me.

prath92

Ferguson once played Phil Neville on the right wing against Sunderland, when asked after the match why he did this. He said Michael Gray was their biggest attacking threat on the left, so he nullified it and we won 5-0.

Fellaini can be dangerous no doubt, at that time United were beating the press by humping it up to Fellaini. So by putting Zouma onto Fellaini he effectively cut off our out ball when under pressure. But Fellaini bossing games not for me.
This didn't happen at all. We played arguably our most attractive football in the last 2 years during those games.

stevoc

This didn't happen at all. We played arguably our most attractive football in the last 2 years during those games.
So in that run of games De Gea or the defenders never hit it long to Fellaini when we were being pressed? Be serious mate please.

I never said we didn't play good football in those games, i said when under pressure we were playing it long at times to Fellaini as an out ball. That is a fact re-watch those games.

prath92

So in that run of games De Gea or the defenders never hit it long to Fellaini when we were being pressed? Be serious mate please.

I never said we didn't play good football in those games, i said when under pressure we were playing it long at times to Fellaini as an out ball. That is a fact re-watch those games.
They would have of course but nothing like the way you mention it when you say 'humping it up to fellaini'. We had triangles all over the pitch with Blind Young and Fellaini on the left side and mata Herrera and Valencia on the right.

There would definitely have been kicks to him from Goalkicks and stuff but nothing like the way you mention as our main tactic. Fellaini was also making contributions with passing. His goal vs Spurs was from a throughball from Carrick, he made the pass to Herrera which led to mata s first goal vs Liverpool and all for instance. We never played it upto him as a habit.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys

We'd been hitting it long all season under pressure, the reason why it looked better with Fellaini in the team was because we were actually getting something out of it rather than staying under pressure.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Roy Keane has launched a defence of Manchester United midfielder Marouane Fellaini , claiming that the Belgian has become a 'scapegoat' at Old Trafford.

The 28-year-old has received plenty of criticism since arriving at the club for £27.5million under David Moyes in September 2013, but Keane believes fans should have directed their anger towards other, unnamed senior players at the club.

"I like him," the former Red Devils skipper said.

"I thought the criticism he had when he went to United was a bit over the top. The fans were maybe quick to jump on his back.

"I saw him a few times live when United weren’t great and thought he did okay. But he seemed to be the scapegoat for the fans, which can happen when a new manager (David Moyes) brings in certain players and the new signings get criticism.

The Irish number two believes that the Belgian midfielder has unfairly become a scapegoat at Manchester United

"But we saw him recently scoring some important goals. I liked him at Everton and I think he’s a good player for Man Utd.

"If anything, the fans should have been criticising the experienced players at United who weren’t helping him out or who weren’t helping out the new manager. But that’s another story."
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/roy-keane-defends-marouane-fellaini-8214531

A bit unexpected defender appears.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He's not entirely wrong. Fellaini certainly gets a certain degree of extra criticism. That was especially the case in the Moyes season where a lot of other players totally failed to perform, as did the manager, yet the new guy we brought in became a bit of a scapegoat.

That doesn't change how limited he ultimately is at this level though. You can criticise Fellaini without being unfair and defend Fellaini without overrating him. We just struggle to find the right balance between the two sometimes.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Keane likes him because at the least Fellani has guts and doesn't hide on the pitch. Unlike some other signings we have made.
There are countless examples of his strolling around the pitch while the game had gone forward. Never understand this supposed "great attitude" of his

Here, for example, he is just a spectator with a great view. When the ball is further than 2 meters from him he just shuts off

red4ever 79

So Belgium finally spark into life and surprise surprise no fellani in the team.

How much longer has this guy got left on his contract?

stevoc

They would have of course but nothing like the way you mention it when you say 'humping it up to fellaini'. We had triangles all over the pitch with Blind Young and Fellaini on the left side and mata Herrera and Valencia on the right.

There would definitely have been kicks to him from Goalkicks and stuff but nothing like the way you mention as our main tactic. Fellaini was also making contributions with passing. His goal vs Spurs was from a throughball from Carrick, he made the pass to Herrera which led to mata s first goal vs Liverpool and all for instance. We never played it upto him as a habit.
Hitting it long or humping it whats the difference? It's just another way of describing a long high pass up the pitch.

I specifically said we were hitting it long to Fellaini to bypass the opposition's press. I made no mention of our style of play over all, nor did i imply it was our main tactic. If you got that from my post then you have misinterpreted it mate.

We'd been hitting it long all season under pressure, the reason why it looked better with Fellaini in the team was because we were actually getting something out of it rather than staying under pressure.
I don't disagree with that at all mate. During that period of games it was very effective. Which is why Mourinho as explained in my earlier post was looking to stop that out ball for us.

Classical Mechanic

There are countless examples of his strolling around the pitch while the game had gone forward. Never understand this supposed "great attitude" of his

Here, for example, he is just a spectator with a great view. When the ball is further than 2 meters from him he just shuts off
That isn't what I mean by hiding on the pitch. It more refer to when things are going bad, or even well, some players do not show for the ball of shirk or going in for challenges against tough players. Fellani doesn't do that. That is a terrible lapse in awareness and application in the clip that you posted rather than him hiding.

stevoc

Keane likes him because at the least Fellani has guts and doesn't hide on the pitch. Unlike some other signings we have made.
Keane likes him because Fellaini is a bit dirty haha, but seriously mostly he's backing him because he's a contrarian who likes to go against popular opinion. The Nani red card being a classic example.

Still love Roy though.

Walters_19_MuFc

Right. So why do you think the likes of Modric, Iniesta etc. aren't always man marked either? After all, if it worked on Pirlo....
You'll have to ask the managers. Not necessarily man marking, but if, as a team, you press high up, it gives these midfielders very little space to operate in. If not, like you said, they'll dominate.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
You'll have to ask the managers. Not necessarily man marking, but if, as a team, you press high up, it gives these midfielders very little space to operate in. If not, like you said, they'll dominate.
Ah right, that's slightly different. You're right, as a team they're stupid if they don't do that, especially when a team depends on that one key player. Man marking like we did to Pirlo is slightly different though. It only really works with certain players in certain teams.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Stop nitpicking around, of course i meant for top level football. He would be useless in every setup that isnt based on long ball football and him playing at the 10. He always dominated because of his chest and mob, not because of the abilities that matter in every top clubs setup. Plus he is clumsy as it gets and an elbow waiting to happen. He will be basically our Mikel to tighten things up in midfield or someone we throw at some point and hope for the best.
Except Everton did not play long ball football and Fellaini dominated teams over there.

I mean if people think Fellaini is not good enough for Manchester United, fair enough but stop discrediting him as some sort of relegation team player. Just proves your lack of knowledge on him.

U99ted

Any thread involving them will have most posters claiming 'I am sure he will thrive under a proper manager'
Probably because they did thrive under proper managers.

Rooney, Carrick & Schweinsteiger have won the Champions League and many domestic league titles while being key players. Mata was key in a CL & EL winning side. Herrera helped Bilbao to their first EL final in 35 years (I'm not clear on how pivotal he was in that). Schneiderlin is the one who arguably didn't play at a level much higher than Fellaini, but got hyped more in that 14/15 season under Koeman than Fellaini did while under Moyes.

I'm not saying they will "thrive under a new manager", but just explaining that they're proven at a higher level, hence people are more likely to blame other factors for underperformance.

Last edited:

stevoc

I am referring to the 90 other minutes in the game and what the experts have been saying.
He played very well that night no doubt and was hard to handle, but saying he destroyed us single handedly is overstating it a bit mate. The game finished 1-0.

It was was a pretty even game in terms of possession and chances. They took one of theirs from a corner fair play to them. But it should be noted we were playing a makeshift back four with Valencia and Carrick filling in. He did more damage to us in the 4-4 game than in that 1-0.

Sylar

Thing with Fellaini in the United team (especially as part of a two man midfield) is that he can look decent whilst everybody else looks crap (and its because the game is going towards his style of play).
Whereas when he doesnt play, im sure United had a better record without him (and at times played better football without him).

I think the only time ive seen him used well and play well was when we went to that 433 and used him further up front. He also scored against Spurs and City in that run.

Walters_19_MuFc

If only you had a well thought out post.

I mean, honestly, the same as Fergie did with the likes of Pirlo, Ozil and mr "etc". It's pretty much as funny as it gets.
Am I wrong then? Didn't Sir Alex and Mourinho specifically put in players to man mark Fellaini?

Status
Not open for further replies.