5.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamadovich86

Did his job excellently, teams cant deal with his physicallly so hes a great option to have on the bench but nothing more than that.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
Great performance profile picture for Fellaini!

He was always going to score in a game like yesterdays. He is a very good weapon to use at the end of games when you play smaller players. A lot of players in Club Brugge were a bit too young to play a game like this. They did really well though.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Did his job excellently, teams cant deal with his physicallly so hes a great option to have on the bench but nothing more than that.
That's so wrong! If the big guy does a job then he should start. He was more effective than Mata and Rooney combined!

Hamadovich86

That's so wrong! If the big guy does a job then he should start. He was more effective than Mata and Rooney combined!
Hes not good enough to start for Manchester United, we should have a higher calibre of players in our squad and now we do. We have better players at the DM, CM and AM/SS roles so why should he start? Mata is playing on the right and doing well so I dont know what you're talking about. Rooney has been shit but surely you dont think Fellaini should play as a striker.

Hes a great option to have coming on from the bench when shit hits the fan but we shouldnt be relying on him to start.

Lawman

Hes not good enough to start for Manchester United, we should have a higher calibre of players in our squad and now we do. We have better players at the DM, CM and AM/SS roles so why should he start? Mata is playing on the right and doing well so I dont know what you're talking about. Rooney has been shit but surely you dont think Fellaini should play as a striker.

Hes a great option to have coming on from the bench when shit hits the fan but we shouldnt be relying on him to start.
Mata looks like a fish on a bike at right wing and is clogging up our attack. Great wee player but not in that position. I'd rather have Fellaini. If you want style over substance fair enough but right now and last season Fellaini deserves his starting berth and we are a better team with him in the 11. Unless we sign Pedro (Muller or some other fantasy player) Fellaini will replace Mata! You can see this coming surely?

Hamadovich86

Mata looks like a fish on a bike at right wing and is clogging up our attack. Great wee player but not in that position. I'd rather have Fellaini. If you want style over substance fair enough but right now and last season Fellaini deserves his starting berth and we are a better team with him in the 11. Unless we sign Pedro (Muller or some other fantasy player) Fellaini will replace Mata! You can see this coming surely?
Fellaini as a right winger? Are you serious? On the wings you need tricky/pacey players I dont even think Mata should be playing there let alone fecking Fellaini! If we're talking about deserving things surely no one deserves to start more than Herrera but the system just doesnt suit him so it is what it is. Fellaini is a sub for the second striker position when all else has failed simple as that.

Lawman

Fellaini as a right winger? Are you serious? On the wings you need tricky/pacey players I dont even think Mata should be playing there let alone fecking Fellaini! If we're talking about deserving things surely no one deserves to start more than Herrera but the system just doesnt suit him so it is what it is. Fellaini is a sub for the second striker position when all else has failed simple as that.
I agree 100% but we have Mata currently who offers little flashes. Fellaini will end up there and add an option with Depay crossing to him like he did last season on the left side. Mata currently needs either moved inside or taken out the team. Herrera hopefully replaces Adnan also and we revert to a 433. If Pedro signs it will be Mata he replaces.

Hamadovich86

I agree 100% but we have Mata currently who offers little flashes. Fellaini will end up there and add an option with Depay crossing to him like he did last season on the left side. Mata currently needs either moved inside or taken out the team. Herrera hopefully replaces Adnan also and we revert to a 433. If Pedro signs it will be Mata he replaces.
I cant see LvG changing the system unless this one stops working he may devise a secondary system as a backup. Pedro will play on the right when/if he comes and if Memphis will keep his place on the left this means that Januzaj, Herrera, Fellaini and hopefully Mata will fight for the second striker position. I find it odd that van Gall doesnt see Mata as a second striker thats actually his best position hes a really good finisher.

ZDwyr

Could be the 'surprise striker' that van Gaal was referring to in pre-season.

Lawman

I cant see LvG changing the system unless this one stops working he may devise a secondary system as a backup. Pedro will play on the right when/if he comes and if Memphis will keep his place on the left this means that Januzaj, Herrera, Fellaini and hopefully Mata will fight for the second striker position. I find it odd that van Gall doesnt see Mata as a second striker thats actually his best position hes a really good finisher.
Yep I agree with 10 being Mata's best position and I think he will end up there if we buy Pedro and in the tougher games it will be Herrera or Fellaini in that 10 to give us more solidarity and physical presence. Fellaini is well under rated on the cafe imo. He's not pretty but he sure is effective and teams struggle against him and this frees up other players in our team.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
It's good to have him as an option for crosses toward the end of games but it's annoying how we seem to constantly play the long ball when he's on the pitch instead of as a last resort.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Terrific player to have in your squad. A nightmare to play against when he's in form. Makes you wonder why we bothered for so long trying to fit him in as a central midfielder when everything about his game is perfectly suited to a target man.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
It's good to have him as an option for crosses toward the end of games but it's annoying how we seem to constantly play the long ball when he's on the pitch instead of as a last resort.
I wasn't able to pay loads of attention to the match but it looked like we were doing it well before he was on the pitch to be fair, wasn't as noticeable though because it didn't work.

Dante

Average bang
We didn't play long ball when he was on the pitch. This is a Louis van Gaal team we're talking about.

We played crosses into the box when Fellaini came on, but then we were doing that all game anyway.

Last edited:

Skills

Snitch
I don't get the problem with long balls to him. Most of the time, they're not hopeful punts up their hoping for a flick on. Most of them are pretty well measured, and he takes them down easy enough, keeps the ball and helps us moving into the opposition half. His goal came from a 'long ball' which he took down, laid off wide and then got in the box for a header.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I don't get the problem with long balls to him. Most of the time, they're not hopeful punts up their hoping for a flick on. Most of them are pretty well measured, and he takes them down easy enough, keeps the ball and helps us moving into the opposition half. His goal came from a 'long ball' which he took down, laid off wide and then got in the box for a header.
I agree with what you are saying, but it really irks me when people call a cross a "long ball". A cross is a cross. Or at least it would be if anyone other than Fellaini was on the end of it.

m1y2

Could be the 'surprise striker' that van Gaal was referring to in pre-season.
2+7 yeah, his hold up play would be much better than Rooney's and neither Rooney or Fellaini can take on players.. Fellaini is great in the air unlike Rooney who is a bit average, both player can fight for the ball, Fellaini's a bit better defensively, in case we need to defend more, Fellaini can go deep and Adnan up top or whoever plays in the hole.. Rooney's only better at pinging the balls around from deep positions and is more creative overall but Fellaini seem more effective now..

yes talking about no9 position

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Being part of the midfield three can mean you can be part of the forward role. If you are are familiar with the term suffoco, that is basically a second striker who joins the midfield while defending to add number in midfield. As I already stated that is what Fellaini does at the tip of the midfield and that was the role he played most of the time for Van Gaal last season, which is why his performance was noteworthy.

If you believe he is a better midfielder than he is a second striker or number 10, then your opinion is that similiar to Moyes who came to that same conclusion and made Fellaini look like a comedy show during his tenure.
Not at all - because Moyes played him as a more defensive midfielder, whereas I think he is best suited to a less restrictive midfield role where he can contribute to both defence and attack. That is also where he plays for Belgium most of the time - its more like no8 than no10, perhaps even something just inbetween which is why it is difficult to categorise it.

BTW Ive never heard the term 'suffoco'

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We didn't play long ball when he was on the pitch. This is a Louis van Gaal team we're talking about.

We played crosses into the box when Fellaini came on, but then we were doing that all game anyway.
Indeed.
The difference was that when he came on, we had a player who had the ability to get on the end of incoming balls being hit into the penalty box.
Rooney should be able to deal with these...but in his current form, he cant. He did have 1 attempt (remember that bicycle kick which happened because his back was to goal).

I think someone earlier summed it up perfectly: in last nights game, our opposition were using kids. When a fully grown man arrived on the pitch, they could not handle it and within 10 minutes, they buckled.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
With the Memphis experiment at 10 seemingly over..Mata likely remaining on the right, and perreira not yet ready and van gaal having gone on record that he prefers a second foward rather than a third midfielder, i expect that it will be a straight shootout between him and Januzaj for the number 10 spot...and i think he'll probably win out due to the fact that he currentlys offer more in terms of output than Adnan

Jacob

The thing I like about Fellaini is that he is a threat to ANY side. I just wish he'd had some more pace, mobility and better technique. It would make him one of the best strikers in the world.

United again!

I think Januzaj suits the second striker style 4-2-3-1 type of 10. Fellaini is much more suited to that wide 4-3-3 role 10 where he gets free and he gets into the box. I assume Fellaini will get his chance to play this 4-2-3-1 type of 10 and I suspect he'll do well, his all round game is criminally underrated. You could barely get the ball off him last season.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
The thing I like about Fellaini is that he is a threat to ANY side. I just wish he'd had some more pace, mobility and better technique. It would make him one of the best strikers in the world.
Pace sure I can agree with.

He is actually quite mobile though - it just doesn't look it because he's not exactly a "pretty" runner and because of his size, but he actually moves around quite well.

Also his technique shouldn't be underestimated. Is he gonna play defence splitting passes? Of course not, but facets that are a part of technique are things like ball control, and he really does have great ball control both at the feet or in the air. What I like about him is that you get some big guys who win headers and beat their opponent to the ball. But Fellaini will more often then not not only win those headers and physical battles, but keep the ball or play a good header/pass to a team mate. It's not just that he wins them, he is productive from them too.

I'm glad he is an option in our squad. I don't want him to start of course unless there is a special reason for it, but he can make a difference as a substitute in a number of situations.

He has scored 7 goals since he signed.
Thanks!

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Some people do not want to hear the truth, I understand. The fact is that Fellaini best performances has come from him playing as a number ten in a tip of a midfield three or second striker since his Everton days. If you can give me fact that showed he was better as a midfielder not as a 10 or a second striker, I would gladly admit that I was wrong which rarely happens.

I do not want to be a party pooper, but I have to defend my integrity since I clarified that he was average before. I am just glad Van Gaal figured out how to use him properly, which is ironic since Moyes knows him best and failed to use him properly.
Whether he is a better midfielder or not is a debate I'm not arguing. I just don't agree with the notion that he is a bad midfield player and belongs up top. He has had some really good games in the middle of the park. People are looking for ways to discredit him and the "he sucks as a midfielder" one is the most ridiculous way one can do it.

I also don't think Moyes misused him. It was just a bad season for him (and almost everyone). He was low on confidence and in a new club struggling to get anything done.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
Didn't do too well, can't remember hearing his name mentioned. 0/10

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
Exactly, in the build up we're all debating him playing as our new striker for the season. Don't know what he must have done in that 24hrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.