Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

kr0nix

There's almost no middle ground with him. He's either clever with his physicality like today, or borderline braindead.
This, pretty much sums him up. I don't understand why he can't be more consistent in that regard, he knows his own game well enough by now and so do the coaching staff.

shield

If used properly, Fellaini can end be a very good player for us. It is just when he is used time and again, that his weaknesses start standing out. Yesterday was his type of match, where players are constantly pushing and battling it out and he loves such encounters where the opposition come out to him. He was very good in that Rostov match as well. But he won't be able to help us out against a packed defense where the opposition has no interest in attacking and are playing for a draw.

Intricate passing and game reading are not his strengths, and his comes out giving frustrating performances when asked to do so. Our plight this year is that we have too few midfielders and so we have had to rely on him time and again even in matches where he is not suited for play. Think next year, when we buy a proper DM, he will be assigned a proper squad role and we will be able to utilize him properly.

RedPnutz

Some people are so grudging in their praise of Fellaini it is almost petty. Awfully small-minded to praise with an additional qualifier.

It is usually "he was good today but still generally a shit player" or "he's only doing the simple stuff" or "he played well because the team played well" or "had a good game but never a Man Utd player"

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
I'll say this: He was excellent yesterday.

Recovered so many balls, dominated the midfield areas with his physique and used the ball well.

Fellaini at his most useful for me.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
That's the first time I've given him a score that is above an 8. Fantastic performance.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's one of his three or four annual good performances.

It won't last, and he won't kick on.

But credit where credit is due, he played well yesterday.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Some people are so grudging in their praise of Fellaini it is almost petty. Awfully small-minded to praise with an additional qualifier.

It is usually "he was good today but still generally a shit player" or "he's only doing the simple stuff" or "he played well because the team played well" or "had a good game but never a Man Utd player"
But that's the case with him.

He is generally completely shit, but will produce 3 or 4 good performances over the course of a season, and more often than not those performances come when everyone else is having a stormer as well.

He very rarely if ever plays well himself unless everyone else is.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
It's one of his three or four annual good performances.

It won't last, and he won't kick on.

But credit where credit is due, he played well yesterday.
Overall hes had a good season for him, many, many more above average displays than poor outings.

prath92

He is generally completely shit, but will produce 3 or 4 good performances over the course of a season, and more often than not those performances come when everyone else is having a stormer as well.

just off the top of my head, he was very good in the first 3 games of the season, both the liverpool games, yesterday's game, sunderland game, the boro game. Those are 6 games where he was very good. And I'm willing to bet there are many more games in which he was average to good or even better.

Basically what you said is bullshit

Tosicsleftpeg

He is capable of a game like yesterday and is perfect for those big games where he can use his strength perfectly. His chest control from long balls was absolutely brilliant as well, the amount of times where he brought the ball down and passed where any other player would have just headed it into an area and possibly given it away was invaluable.

Ixion

just off the top of my head, he was very good in the first 3 games of the season, both the liverpool games, yesterday's game, sunderland game, the boro game. Those are 6 games where he was very good. And I'm willing to bet there are many more games in which he was average to good or even better.

Basically what you said is bullshit
I think you have a very generous definition of "very good"

ManRant

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He is no Herrera. What we need now is a thread to compare Fellaini with Kante.

On a serious note, Fellaini played well yesterday and has been the good (small, but still) part of our team for most of the season. He played well because the team played well? It is a team game, saying this is as short-sighted as saying he only play poor as his teammates are poor.

prath92

I think you have a very generous definition of "very good"
if you look at the posts on this thread after those games, most comments will say just that. Maybe you have a very short memory (or partial memory)

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
He was fantastic yesterday. Some of the posters on here need to eat a bit of humble pie and call a spade a spade!

Smores

He's proved time and time again that he's a good tactical squad option for us but the haters will hate. Brilliant yesterday and demonstrated more effort and tactical commitment than the likes of Martial have shown all season.

He's never going to get the individual honours or glory though so those type of fans aren't interested

PepsiCola

Played well yesterday but a lot of revisionism going on if people are pretending he's had a good season or suggesting he's played well more than he's played poorly.

A very good performance yesterday doesn't erase the fact he's been catastrophic at times this season.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Played well yesterday but a lot of revisionism going on if people are pretending he's had a good season or suggesting he's played well more than he's played poorly.

A very good performance yesterday doesn't erase the fact he's been catastrophic at times this season.
You mean the Everton and Anderlecht errors, I presume? Does that mean Pogba, too, has been abysmal since he cost us points against Liverpool? What about Rojo against Everton? De Gea vs Watford?

Players will make mistakes, but this guy doesn't hide. In fact, we forget that he scored an incredibly vital goal in our SF vs Hull in the cup. Why do we never mention that? He's played his heart out for our manager and Mourinho has repaid him with his faith. Constantly starts in the big games of which we have lost none since the 4-0 drubbing to Chelsea.

PepsiCola

You mean the Everton and Anderlecht errors, I presume? Does that mean Pogba, too, has been abysmal since he cost us points against Liverpool? What about Rojo against Everton? De Gea vs Watford?

Players will make mistakes, but this guy doesn't hide. In fact, we forget that he scored an incredibly vital goal in our SF vs Hull in the cup. Why do we never mention that? He's played his heart out for our manager and Mourinho has repaid him with his faith. Constantly starts in the big games of which we have lost none since the 4-0 drubbing to Chelsea.
Rojo has been one of our players of the season so far. Fellaini was also awful in the Watford game you mentioned. Pogba has performed at a higher level throughout the season than Fellaini despite being disappointing overall.

Playing his heart out doesn't excuse him from being largely poor throughout the season.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He was good yesterday, but he's still cost us more points than won them I'm afraid. We shouldn't be relying on him to be a regular starter next season put it that way.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

Pretty much this.

But he was good yesterday, the best I can remember him playing in a long, long time.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
He was good yesterday, but he's still cost us more points than won them I'm afraid. We shouldn't be relying on him to be a regular starter next season put it that way.
Nope, his ceiling is as a squad player who'll come in to play a specific role in certain matches.

He was great yesterday and completely took Matic out of the game, but similarly he's played horrific matches in the same role. Squad player material but performing like that will earn him a place here next season as well.

Di Maria's angel

Rojo has been one of our players of the season so far. Fellaini was also awful in the Watford game you mentioned. Pogba has performed at a higher level throughout the season than Fellaini despite being disappointing overall.

Playing his heart out doesn't excuse him from being largely poor throughout the season.
He hasn't been poor for most of the season, though. Yes, he's made mistakes. But that doesn't equate to being shit all season. He's had far more good games than bad. But I do agree with most people, he's a very good bench option.

PepsiCola

He hasn't been poor for most of the season, though. Yes, he's made mistakes. But that doesn't equate to being shit all season. He's had far more good games than bad. But I do agree with most people, he's a very good bench option.
He has been poor for a lot of the season though. Just look through this thread. He started off well then his form dipped horrendously and he's had a few decent performances sprinkled through an overly poor one.

Even as a bench option we often end up with a Everton situation where we bring him on a resort to hoof ball football or Everton/Anderlecht situations where he costs us a result. I hope we have a good enough a team next year where we don't have to think to rely on Fellaini.

Di Maria's angel

He has been poor for a lot of the season though. Just look through this thread. He started off well then his form dipped horrendously and he's had a few decent performances sprinkled through an overly poor one.

Even as a bench option we often end up with a Everton situation where we bring him on a resort to hoof ball football or Everton/Anderlecht situations where he costs us a result. I hope we have a good enough a team next year where we don't have to think to rely on Fellaini.
Looking through this thread will never help gauge an opinion. He'll play well and there'll still be enough people calling him shite. I don't have an agenda against Fellaini and, whilst I acknowledge he's simply not good enough to be a starter, I think he's actually good this season and it's partly why our last three managers have stuck by him.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
I think some people make their mind up and then that's that. He's actually been a very good player for us over the past 3 years but some people just want to be critical of players from the club they 'love'.

Give it a rest with the "Oh yeah, I guess he played well today... BUT HE'LL NEVER BE GOOD ENOUGH FOR UNITED!" or whatever.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Nope, his ceiling is as a squad player who'll come in to play a specific role in certain matches.

He was great yesterday and completely took Matic out of the game, but similarly he's played horrific matches in the same role. Squad player material but performing like that will earn him a place here next season as well.
Yup. I've always admired his personality and his commitment to the cause despite fans hating him just as much as I like Lingard being utilised in certain big games due to his intelligent movement but both players have to be squaddies next season. Great to have around the team but you can't bank on them to win titles for you.. simply not good enough for first eleven material on a regular basis.

Minimalist

Didn't see the match, caught the highlights later on. It doesn't surprise me if he had a great game yesterday - it's exactly the sort of match (especially at home), with the crowd right up for it, that he will fight all over the pitch and never give up an inch.

Sounds like he was at his best torturing the Chelsea midfield.

Djemba-Djemba

Exactly this

Robertd0803

Its ridiculous. Its almost as annoying as the Rojo praise when even if as a CB he single handily defended against Ronaldo/Messi/Dybala all in the same game you would get someone saying, ''great game but I hope he never plays left back again''.

Yesterday Fellaini was very very good. Simple as that.

Ixion

Pretty sure there is a huge correlation between those who insist Fellaini has a good game every week and those that used to defend Berbatov with their last breath.

iHicksy

From what I could tell yesterday he was deployed at the tip of a midfield three, with pogba to the left and Herrera to the right (doing a job on Hazard). This is the only position he should be played. He can work well in a midfield three but due to his lack of pace and positional awareness he's never going to be suited to a two.

For me, yesterday he was absolutely fantastic. There a few reasons I dislike Fellaini and cringe when I see his name in the line-up and they are because his running style is very laboured, he always looks as though he's moving in slow motion, which to me makes him seem lazy, I very rarely see him sprint. He has the strength and build to be a dominant centre midfielder but he rarely makes the most of these traits.

Normally he's quite easily beaten to the ball, dispossessed in possession and more often than not he's beaten in the air by much smaller players (he very rarely even jumps anymore, possibly because of the elbow-fouls he seems to concede). However, yesterday he used all of his assets perfectly. He shielded the ball against 2 or even 3 players on occasion, he made some good tackles, he won the majority of second balls and only made the one mislaid pass that I saw.

If he could put in more of these performances then he could become a mainstay in a three man midfield for us and i'd be very happy for him, whatever people may say about him, he has the never say die attitude that I expect from a Manchester United player. If he could put these types of performances in on a weekly basis then i'd be more than happy for him to stay.

stevoc

The huge difference in opinion on just how good/bad Fellaini has been this month/this season/the last 3 years is absolutely amazing. Some think he's been a great player for us, some think he's been absolutely awful.

Truth probably is he's been both at times, he's had patches of very good form but longer periods where he's been brutal to watch. But for the most part he's mostly been just ok/average.

Jaybomb

His main task was to take Matic out of the game though, which he did for the entire game.

I would love to see a video of his every touch in the game.
He broke up Chelsea's play so many times that I lost count.
He kept his focus very well and played Jose's instructions to the tee.
Proving his value as a solid squad player. Happy for him after all the stick he got from our own fans.
It won't make any difference to those fans. He is blindly hated simply because Moyes brought him along with him from Everton.

There's no converting these ignorant fans. So I'm not even gonna waste my time. If you can't see that he is a useful player than I don't know what to tell you.

beycont

Different players with different skill sets add to the versatility and advantage of the team, who would have known eh?

VP

I think some people make their mind up and then that's that. He's actually been a very good player for us over the past 3 years but some people just want to be critical of players from the club they 'love'.
:lol: People really need to check their Fellaini exuberance.

He had a good game but he's still nowhere near good enough. Let's not forget O'Shea and Alan Smith used to have the occasional blinder playing in midfield as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.